3D Pie Chart

Hello all-I have created a 3-D pie chart in Excel and would like some of the
pies to be thicker than others...raised higher, thicker, like have the same
foundation but the ones I am discussing during the presentation to raise
above the others not seperating from the pie.  Does that make sense?  I am
using Excell 2007 but also have access to 2003 and the newest version.  If
anyone knows how to do this any help woould be so greatly apprecaited.

THANKS!
0
Angee (4)
9/25/2008 4:22:17 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,

Excel is not designed to do that, maybe a simple alternative would be to
explode the segment of the pie you want to emphasize.  To explode a segment
select the pie, then single click the segment, then drag it away from the
rest of the pie.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Angee" wrote:

> Hello all-I have created a 3-D pie chart in Excel and would like some of the
> pies to be thicker than others...raised higher, thicker, like have the same
> foundation but the ones I am discussing during the presentation to raise
> above the others not seperating from the pie.  Does that make sense?  I am
> using Excell 2007 but also have access to 2003 and the newest version.  If
> anyone knows how to do this any help woould be so greatly apprecaited.
>
> THANKS!
Thanks!  That stinks.  I was pretty sure I had tried every possability but
you never know.  I appreciate the help!

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Excel is not designed to do that, maybe a simple alternative would be to
> explode the segment of the pie you want to emphasize.  To explode a segment
> select the pie, then single click the segment, then drag it away from the
> rest of the pie.
>

> --
> Thanks,
> Shane Devenshire
>

> "Angee" wrote:
>
> > Hello all-I have created a 3-D pie chart in Excel and would like some of the
> > pies to be thicker than others...raised higher, thicker, like have the same
> > foundation but the ones I am discussing during the presentation to raise
> > above the others not seperating from the pie.  Does that make sense?  I am
> > using Excell 2007 but also have access to 2003 and the newest version.  If
> > anyone knows how to do this any help woould be so greatly apprecaited.
> >
> > THANKS!
0
Angee (4)
9/25/2008 7:39:01 PM
Hi,

More stinky stuff - If you are using 2007 you could program an on click
event that would radically change the Bevel property so the slice would stand
out.

In 2003 or 2007 you might program a click to rotate the slice you are
interested in around to the front - now that might be pretty cute!

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Angee" wrote:

> Thanks!  That stinks.  I was pretty sure I had tried every possability but
> you never know.  I appreciate the help!
>
> "ShaneDevenshire" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Excel is not designed to do that, maybe a simple alternative would be to
> > explode the segment of the pie you want to emphasize.  To explode a segment
> > select the pie, then single click the segment, then drag it away from the
> > rest of the pie.
> >

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Shane Devenshire
> >

> > "Angee" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all-I have created a 3-D pie chart in Excel and would like some of the
> > > pies to be thicker than others...raised higher, thicker, like have the same
> > > foundation but the ones I am discussing during the presentation to raise
> > > above the others not seperating from the pie.  Does that make sense?  I am
> > > using Excell 2007 but also have access to 2003 and the newest version.  If
> > > anyone knows how to do this any help woould be so greatly apprecaited.
> > >
> > > THANKS!
Angee  -

> Does that make sense? <

No.

First, you can generally achieve more clarity using a bar chart instead of a
pie chart.

Second, many chart gurus regard the unnecessary third dimension as extreme
chart junk.

A pie chart is usually used to illustrate parts of a whole. A
one-dimensional representation (like a narrow bar) is appropriate.

For more discussion, search google for "pie chart junk" or similar topics.

-  Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"Angee" <Angee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all-I have created a 3-D pie chart in Excel and would like some of
> the
> pies to be thicker than others...raised higher, thicker, like have the
> same
> foundation but the ones I am discussing during the presentation to raise
> above the others not seperating from the pie.  Does that make sense?  I am
> using Excell 2007 but also have access to 2003 and the newest version.  If
> anyone knows how to do this any help woould be so greatly apprecaited.
>
> THANKS!

0
mike5208 (300)
9/27/2008 10:28:25 PM
(Resending - original did not seen to go through)

If using Excel 2007 you could insert a shape - there is a new shape called
"Pie".

Then set the pie slice using the small yellow handles on the shape. Insert a
couple more pie slices to create a chart using shapes. Format the shape to
set the 3D rotation to isometric. Move the shapes until they line up
correctly to form a pie. Format the shapes and change the depth setting in
3D Format to make one slice stand out.

Then if you had a lot of time on your hands you could code
all this in VBA :)

I think I would stick to the standard charts.

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

0
ed5690 (69)
9/28/2008 10:54:48 PM
In this case the pie chart is not being used as a chart.  It is representing
a clock for a public radio presentation and was the closest thing I could
find to meet our needs.  If anyone has any other suggestions of what could be
better used that I could highlight specific pieces (time-slots), by all means
please share.  Computers are not really my thing so I am likely not aware of
it.

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

> Angee  -
>
> > Does that make sense? <
>
> No.
>
> First, you can generally achieve more clarity using a bar chart instead of a
> pie chart.
>
> Second, many chart gurus regard the unnecessary third dimension as extreme
> chart junk.
>
> A pie chart is usually used to illustrate parts of a whole. A
> one-dimensional representation (like a narrow bar) is appropriate.
>
> For more discussion, search google for "pie chart junk" or similar topics.
>
> -  Mike Middleton
> http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
> Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel
>

> "Angee" <Angee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all-I have created a 3-D pie chart in Excel and would like some of
> > the
> > pies to be thicker than others...raised higher, thicker, like have the
> > same
> > foundation but the ones I am discussing during the presentation to raise
> > above the others not seperating from the pie.  Does that make sense?  I am
> > using Excell 2007 but also have access to 2003 and the newest version.  If
> > anyone knows how to do this any help woould be so greatly apprecaited.
> >
> > THANKS!

0
Angee (4)
9/29/2008 1:20:00 PM
Hi Angee,

Back to the pie - here are a couple of other things one could do to make the
slice stand out:

1.  You could set all the non-important slices to shades of gray and the
single slice you are interested in to a color (unfortunaltely you might need
to use VBA to make it change automatically.  Powerpoint has a built-in
feature just for emphasizing items.
2.  You could change the height of the Bevel property for the slice in
question or for all other slices.  For example if you made all slices top and
bottom bevel 1000 these slices would appear thiner than the slice you left
alone.  (again, to do this automatically, would require VBA)
3.  If its a clock you want there is a very simple one built into windows
that you can display.  I also have an Excel file with a clock built in, I can
email you a copy if you want.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Angee" wrote:

> In this case the pie chart is not being used as a chart.  It is representing
> a clock for a public radio presentation and was the closest thing I could
> find to meet our needs.  If anyone has any other suggestions of what could be
> better used that I could highlight specific pieces (time-slots), by all means
> please share.  Computers are not really my thing so I am likely not aware of
> it.
>
> "Mike Middleton" wrote:
>
> > Angee  -
> >
> > > Does that make sense? <
> >
> > No.
> >
> > First, you can generally achieve more clarity using a bar chart instead of a
> > pie chart.
> >
> > Second, many chart gurus regard the unnecessary third dimension as extreme
> > chart junk.
> >
> > A pie chart is usually used to illustrate parts of a whole. A
> > one-dimensional representation (like a narrow bar) is appropriate.
> >
> > For more discussion, search google for "pie chart junk" or similar topics.
> >
> > -  Mike Middleton
> > http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
> > Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel
> >

> > "Angee" <Angee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello all-I have created a 3-D pie chart in Excel and would like some of
> > > the
> > > pies to be thicker than others...raised higher, thicker, like have the
> > > same
> > > foundation but the ones I am discussing during the presentation to raise
> > > above the others not seperating from the pie.  Does that make sense?  I am
> > > using Excell 2007 but also have access to 2003 and the newest version.  If
> > > anyone knows how to do this any help woould be so greatly apprecaited.
> > >
> > > THANKS!

Percent Data Label on 100% Stacked Column Chart
I've created a chart with three 100% stacked columns, each having multiple data points in common. I'd like to show what percentage each of the data points is in relation to its column but the percentage data label is greyed out. Is there another way to do what I'm trying? Thanks! You may want to try Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler add in. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm "PNichols" wrote: > I've created a chart with three 100% stacked columns, each having multiple > data points in common. I'd like to show what percentage each ...

simple chart change bar colour if A2 = ... etc
Making a very simple chart from the data in cells A1, A2 and A3. A1 contains the date. A2 contains either a 0 or a 1. A3 contains a dollar amount. Can I get Excel to change the bar colour based on the value in A2? If A2 = 0 bar colour = red if A2 = 1 bar colour = blue. Hi, The simplest way is to use 2 data series. One for the red and one for the blue data. A formula based on A2. Have a look at Jon's examples for conditional charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html Cheers Andy fitful_thought wrote: > Making a very simple chart from the data in cells A...

excel 2000: can not add first custom chart
I am having terrible trouble trying to add a custom chart. Excel 2000. After entering the name and description, Excel gives me a message "You can not save this workbook with the same name as another open workbook or add-in.". After clicking the "ok" button, I immediately get another dialog "Microsoft Excel can not save the user defined chart because the chart gallery file is currently in use or does not exist. Click OK, and then change the gallery file name or location before you save". I then get to the standard file save dialog, with "book1.xls" in ...

How to import flow charts made in excel to visio as editable text #2
I have created flow charts using drawing objects (rectangles, circles etc) in excel. Now I want to import these diagrams in visio, such that I am able to edit the text entered in the rectangles etc while preparing the charts in excel. I have tried it by copying the individual rectangles / circles in excel and pasting them in visio. But they appear in visio as uneditable objects (similar to jpg image of text which cannot be edited as text). Kindly advise on how to import the excel diagrams as editable visio diagrams. See reply in visio.general group -- Best regards John John Gold...

more than 255 lines in chart #2
Is there a work-around the 255-line limit in Excel ?? Transpose won't do the trick, as I need 22 columns of data. Excel 2000 SP3, on Win XP Pro SP2. Michael Hi Michael - That's a lot of series for a chart. Is it going to be legible with so many lines? I've only ever seen one chart that really needed so many series; an experimental meteorologist needed custom curves on a chart (non-cartesian lines, like isobars). I was able to help him combine around a thousand of these curves into a few dozen. If you describe why you need all the series, someone might think of a similar wa...

The vertical title on every chart I make is cut off.
I cannot read the end of my vertical title in excel. My computer is the only one I know of with this problem. "Fundamental Entropy" looks like "Fundamental Entr" with half of the "o" visible. If I place a character several spaces over, I can see the entire word. This occurs on the y-axis of every excel graph I open on my machine and I am sick of it. You could try the suggestion in the following MSKB article: The 'Y' axis label of your chart is truncated in Excel for Windows http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=870698 nukervilletro...

Bubble Chart
Hi, I wish to edit the color within the plot area from point A but they only allow me to select the whole area and change. Below is an example. I wish to color the area R in red. How to do about it? I do have bubbles around the plot area but don't need to make any change to them. I just want some good advice on the plot area. Will appreciate some help here. Y axis 5 Red (Area R) 4 ____________________ 3 Yellow (Area Y) 2 ____________________ 1 _______Green (Area G)_ A B C D ...

column chart question #2
i have three stock prices. say 20, 40, and 60. how do i get one column to show the three numbers corresponding to the scale on the y axis? it needs to be more of a floating bar, too. meaning it doesnt start on the x axis, rather the bar only goes from 20-60. thanks! If you rearrange your numbers a little to be high price, low price, then closing: Try just using the stock charts. If that won't work, see: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#Float -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "bfont" wrote: > i hav...

Why do OWC charts aggregate data when Excel doesn't?
I have charts in Excel that have in excess of 200 values on one axis. They are dates, and each value is for a day. When I create a chart in Excel, it looks fine when I run it in Excel, but when I save it as an interactive HTML file, the chart ends up grouping the data into a range of dates (eg 14 days), and then the sum of the values. How can I get the HTML/ActiveX chart to show me the same thing as in Excel. I've been poring over the generated XML, but can't for the life of me figure it out! Anyone know what the problem could be, and how to remedy it? ...

Creating 1 chart with 2 sources
I would like to create a chart based on the following scenarios: 1. If cell A1=B1, then the chart source is AA10:BB14 OR 2. if cell A1 is not equal to B1, then the chart source would be AA20:BB30 Is there a way where this could be easily done? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you! [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting with an email copy to Maureen. Please use the newsgroup for further discussion.] You can do this easily with named formulas. Using AA:AC as an example (rather than AA:BB, which is 28 columns!): Create the named formulas below with Insert...

Charts/XY(scatter)/Smooth lines option
I would appreciate your help in the following issue: We like to know what function the Excel developpers have used in Excel for Charts/XY(scatter)/smooth lines. It iseems to us that it is a B-spline but there are many of those around. Could you please provide us with the exact spline function used for interpolation in this Excel option and possibly the code Thanks a lot in advance Ian Excel actually uses Bezier curves, though they can be approximated by splines. Look for the Smooth_curve_bezier_example_file.xls download in the bottom part of this page on Brian Murphy's web site:...

How to resize title of a chart in Excel?
Hi, Would you please tell me how to resize the title of a chart in Excel? Thanks, Roger Left-click on it then drag the handles to re-size. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:47:01 -0800, "Roger" <Roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Would you please tell me how to resize the title of a chart in Excel? > >Thanks, > >Roger The Chart title will adjust automatically to the size of the text. If you want more control over the width or height, you can delete the title, and use a text box instead. To create a text box, select the ch...

Percentage Incorrect In Pie Chart
I have a pie chart very simple Calculation is A1= 19 (# of inmates Re-Offended) B1 = 65 (# of Inmates Have NO Re-Offended) 19/65 = .292307692 Pie chart should show 29% have Re-offended and 71 % have not Re-Offended But it shows 23% Have Reoffended and 77% have NOT Re-Offended. What is going on? WHat am I doing wrong? This should be so simple. HELP!!! Your total number of inmates is 84. 19 of 84 inmates (22.6%) have re-offended. 65 of 84 inmates (77.4%) of no re-offended. Gladys wrote: > I have a pie chart very simple > Calculation is > A1= 19 (# of inmates Re-Offended) &g...

Bar and Line chart #2
I am using Excell 2003 I need to create a BAR graph with 3 years of Sales $$ (1 being the current year) and add to that a LINE that shows the BUDGETED $$ for the current year. From the Chart Wizard I chose the "line - column" chart because both the bars and the line are all using the same $$ numbers. Sales $$ for 2006 and 2007 came up as Bars but Sales for 2008 came up as a line along with the budget $$ being a line also. I now have a graph of 2 bars and 2 lines. I wanted 3 bars and 1 line. How do I get all 3 years of Sales to be bars and only the Budgeted Sales to be th...

Move x axis to the top of a 3D horizontal bar chart
How do I change the position of the x axis to the top of a horizontal 3D bar chart, in 2003? I believe you should go to "format axis" on y-axis > scale tab > change "category (x) axis crosses at:" to desired value. hope this helps. you may have to adjust your bars or afterwards "Move x axis to top of horz. 3D Bar Chart" wrote: > How do I change the position of the x axis to the top of a horizontal 3D bar > chart, in 2003? ...

Charting Series Problem
I am in need of changing the Axes Scale on my spreadsheet from 0 to 500 to 100 to 900 but in 100 increments. I tried to format the Axis this way but then my data on the chart disappears. When I check the boxes back to automatic, then my data appears. Any help is greatly appreciated. I believe I am using the Office 2000 product. Thanks What kind of chart do you have? What is the range of the data set you are plotting? How many are in the range of 0-100 and 500-900? You don't have to guess about the version of XL. Check Help | About Microsoft Excel -- Regards, Tushar Meht...

Adding Trendline To Just Some of the Bars in Chart
Is it possible to add a trendline to just some of the bars in a chart? Suppose each bar represents a month, and you wanted to just show a trendline beginning with a month that wasn't the first month in the chart. Is this possible? Thanks, Carroll Rinehart Add the desired points as another data series and have XL calculate the trendline for this series. You can always format the series so that it appears invisible. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <1140795679.754703.3...

Pivot Charts
I need to update about 120 charts per week using pivot charts. Since the data changes weekly, I lose any formatting to the lines on the graph. Can I update all the graphs using a macro? If so, where do I start the macro - on the pivot data tab or on the pivot chart itself? At the simplest level, you could record a macro as you refresh and reformat the charts manually. Then, play the macro each week to automatically perform the task. Depending on how the PivotCharts change, and where they're located, you may be able to write some code to loop through them and make the changes. ...

What is a 3-up chart and how do I create one?
Can anybody help me? I don't know if this helps, but sometimes I've heard of PowerPoint slides being called 4-up or 2-up, based on the number of charts or pictures on the slide. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Paula wrote: > Can anybody help me? Hi Paula, This article describes a 3-up chart - it is just two column charts and a text table. https://www.supplier.cessna.com/reliability/reliability_guidelines.pdf Ed Ferrero http://edferrero.m6.net/ > Can anybody help me?...

excel chart embedded in asp page
Is there a way to embed an excel chart, which is feeding off of SQL Server 2000, into an asp page? Thanks! ...

Process control chart for quality control in exel?
How can I create a process control chart for quality control using exel? Have a look at: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/statscharts.html best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Kara" <Kara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B862B13C-5727-459E-B606-D5B3A4EA1D31@microsoft.com... > How can I create a process control chart for quality control using exel? Even better: Introducing Control Charts (Run Charts) http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/introducing-control-charts-run-charts/ - Jon -------...

Charts #28
I am trying to do a math model that requires one x data points with two different sets of y data points. I am comparing average ocean water temp to storm activity for the last twenty years. Any ideas on how to do this? -- Doug See your other post. -- David Biddulph "doug" <doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AD70B6E-1CA6-4741-8BCF-FEA9C424562A@microsoft.com... >I am trying to do a math model that requires one x data points with two > different sets of y data points. I am comparing average ocean water temp > to > storm activity for the...

combo chart #3
can I create a combo chart with one vertical scale on the left for data series 1 and another different scale on the right veritcal axis for data series 2 ? series 1 ranges from 0-80; series 2 ranges from 0-10 Thanks DW Yes, Highlight your data and start the wizard, choose Custom Types and choose Line/Collumn on two axes or Line/Line on two axes. There is a way to do Column/Column on two axes but it requires a trick -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Doug W" wrote: > can I create a combo chart with one vertical scale on the left for data > series 1 and another different...

Excel Rainfall Chart template
I am lookink for a template for a Daily Rainfall Chart for a Calendar Year, together with a Summary for previous years. The daily record should allow the monthly total rainfall & number of days to be recorded as well as the daily rainfall for each day and a Cumulative Total of days on which rain has fallen for the year and the Total rainfall for the year to date. The Summary for Previous Years should allow for the averages for each month and for the average of all of the previous years records to be calculated and displayed. I'm guessing that you won't find a prepared templa...

Click on cell to take you to chart
I have a table of contents cover page (in excel) and 20 charts (each in it's own worksheet within the same document). I need to have the person be able to click on the cell indicating the chart title on the title page and have it take them to the corresponding chart. Is this possible? Right click on your cell that contains the title that you want to be able to click on, click on hyperlink...where it says Link To: choose Place in this Document...then it shows you the sheets that you can have it bring you to. Then you can type the Cell that you want it to jump to as well. ...