2003: Having trouble with conditional formatting with custom user function (Repost)

First posted a week ago to excel.programming. Thought I'd try again,
adding excel and excel.worksheet.functions hoping for a reply this time.

Office 2003 SP3 on XP Professional

Looking for advice as to where to start looking for my problem.

I have written a function to perform validity checking on selected
portions of my worksheet data. The new function works great, except that
as soon as I had tested it and added it to the conditional format
conditions on the relevant columns some of my other custom toolbar
macros began to misbehave.

I wrote a custom function so that I could test multiple (in excess of 6)
conditions and put the complexity of the formulas in VBA instead of long
and cumbersome conditional formatting formulas.

If I disable the conditional formatting -- either by closing the single
workbook that uses it, or by renaming the custom function -- all the
original macros return to normal behavior and function.

I set the conditional formating formula to:

=NOT(checkCyl(RCnn))

where nn is the column number under test. [It just occurred to me I
could use simply RC ... I'll test that.]

While investigating, I discovered this behavior - one of the custom
toolbar functions that misbehaves includes a call to this function (the
debug.print statements added for testing -- about 30 lines of code):

Sub ProtectAll(Optional xAll As String = "All", _
  Optional xProtect As String = "Yes")
' xAll: process All or Active sheet(s)
' xProtect: Yes to Protect, No to Unprotect

Dim xFrom As Integer, xTo As Integer

Debug.Print "ProtectAll Begin ScreenUpdating: ";
Application.ScreenUpdating
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Debug.Print "ProtectAll Begin ScreenUpdating: ";
Application.ScreenUpdating

If xAll = "All" Then
  xFrom% = 1
  xTo% = Sheets.Count
Else
  xFrom% = ActiveSheet.Index
  xTo% = xFrom%
End If

For ii% = xFrom% To xTo%
  If xProtect = "No" Then
    Sheets(ii%).Unprotect
  Else
    Sheets(ii%).Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True,
Scenarios:=True, _
      AllowFormattingCells:=True
    Sheets(ii%).EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
  End If
Next ii%

Debug.Print "ProtectAll End ScreenUpdating: ";
Application.ScreenUpdating
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
Debug.Print "ProtectAll End ScreenUpdating: ";
Application.ScreenUpdating

End Sub

When my new function / conditional formatting is active, only the first
three debug.print statements are executed.  In fact, as near as I can
determine, VBA returns to Excel as though it completed normally, even
though it has 'bailed' somewhere 'in the middle' of the process.

I'm hoping that some of you "in this room" will have pointers for me on
what to look for and / or how to proceed with testing.

(My new function is approximately 150 lines of code ... I'm hesitant to
just throw it out here without invitation.)

--
Clif

0
clare.moe (45)
2/16/2009 7:10:07 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Remove from the code below the the 'Application.ScreenUpdating' lines that
do not set screen updating to false or true.

Step through your code by setting a break (using F9) on the line where you
want the code to pause. Press F8 to step through your code to monitor that
it is working as you expect.

Your conditional format function should return TRUE or FALSE in a cell or
the worksheet. If it does not, it will fail when used for conditional
formatting.

--
Steve

"Clif McIrvin" <clare.moe@nevergmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
>  End If
> Next ii%
>
> Debug.Print "ProtectAll End ScreenUpdating: ";
> Application.ScreenUpdating
>  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
> Debug.Print "ProtectAll End ScreenUpdating: ";
> Application.ScreenUpdating
>
> End Sub
>
> When my new function / conditional formatting is active, only the first
> three debug.print statements are executed.  In fact, as near as I can
> determine, VBA returns to Excel as though it completed normally, even
> though it has 'bailed' somewhere 'in the middle' of the process.
>
> I'm hoping that some of you "in this room" will have pointers for me on
> what to look for and / or how to proceed with testing.
>
> (My new function is approximately 150 lines of code ... I'm hesitant to
> just throw it out here without invitation.)

0
AltaEgo
2/16/2009 10:05:32 PM
AltaEgo, thanks for responding.  My responses are inserted "in line"
below:

"AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote in message
> Remove from the code below the the 'Application.ScreenUpdating' lines
> that do not set screen updating to false or true.

Looking down below your reply I see that line wrap broke apart my
debug.print lines; when F8 stepping through this routine the debug.print
recorded True or False as expected *when my conditional formatting
function* was removed from the project. From my OP:

>> When my new function / conditional formatting is active, only the
>> first
>> three debug.print statements are executed.  In fact, as near as I can
>> determine, VBA returns to Excel as though it completed normally, even
>> though it has 'bailed' somewhere 'in the middle' of the process.
>>

> Step through your code by setting a break (using F9) on the line where
> you want the code to pause. Press F8 to step through your code to
> monitor that it is working as you expect.

No problems discovered in that exercise --- which I repeated more than
once with different test data --- *before* sending my OP.

> Your conditional format function should return TRUE or FALSE in a cell
> or the worksheet. If it does not, it will fail when used for
> conditional formatting.

Works as expected. When setting a cell formula to "
=myfunction(cell.pointer) " it displays True or False as expected ....
also the conditional formatting works as expected.

The trouble seems to be that *other* functions (which have been working
flawlessly for months) suddenly fail without generating any error
message when I set up the conditional formatting. Again, from my OP:

>> When my new function / conditional formatting is active,

**only the first three debug.print statements are executed**.

I discovered this by single stepping through some of my other, now
failing, code. While stepping through the code below, F8 would stop at
10 and 20, but when pressing F8 on line 20 the debugger would go
inactive and return to the "no code executing" state.

10 >> Debug.Print "ProtectAll End ScreenUpdating: "; _
     >> Application.ScreenUpdating
20 >>  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
30 >> Debug.Print "ProtectAll End ScreenUpdating: "; _
     >> Application.ScreenUpdating

40 >> End Sub

Any other ideas for me to try?

>> In fact, as near as I can
>> determine, VBA returns to Excel as though it completed normally, even
>> though it has 'bailed' somewhere 'in the middle' of the process.
>>
>> I'm hoping that some of you "in this room" will have pointers for me
>> on
>> what to look for and / or how to proceed with testing.
>>
>> (My new function is approximately 150 lines of code ... I'm hesitant
>> just throw it out here without invitation.)

Again,
Thanks for responding!

--
Clif

--
Clif

0
clare.moe (45)
2/16/2009 11:06:31 PM
See in line
--

> Looking down below your reply I see that line wrap broke apart my
> debug.print lines;

Didn't have my spectacles on at the time!

> The trouble seems to be that *other* functions (which have been working
> flawlessly for months) suddenly fail without generating any error message
> when I set up the conditional formatting. Again, from my OP:
>

>>> When my new function / conditional formatting is active,

Excel has additional calculation load.

> **only the first three debug.print statements are executed**.
>
> I discovered this by single stepping through some of my other, now
> failing, code. While stepping through the code below, F8 would stop at 10
> and 20, but when pressing F8 on line 20 the debugger would go inactive and
> return to the "no code executing" state.

Sorry, cannot help.

> Any other ideas for me to try?

I doubt this will help but you might try  VBA code cleaner:

http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

--
Steve

0
AltaEgo
2/17/2009 2:54:03 AM
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  I've come up with a couple
more ideas to try ... one of which is an alternative approach to
conditional formatting -- that additional calculation load I suspect is
quite significant in this case.

I'm half afraid to try a code cleaner .... I started this project
knowing nearly nothing about Excel or VBA ... much of that early code is
still in use <grin>.

Thanks again!

> Didn't have my spectacles on at the time!

What!? That happens to you, too?!

--
Clif

--
Clif

0
clare.moe (45)
2/17/2009 1:37:25 PM
To remove your half fear, try it on a copy. First thing I expect you will
see is a sizeable  file size reduction when you compare your clean copy to
the original.

--
Steve

> I'm half afraid to try a code cleaner
>> http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/CodeCleaner.htm

0
AltaEgo

conditional formatting sort

The opposite of the "sort" function
I have a list of alphabetically ordered data in a column. Is there a function for randomizing the order of these data? see http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/samplenoreplace.html In article <1174843249.583556.129830@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, lucavilla@cashette.com wrote: > I have a list of alphabetically ordered data in a column. > Is there a function for randomizing the order of these data? Exellent solution! thanks! Let's say your data in A1:A10 In B1: =RAND() copy from B1 to B10 Select A1:B10 > Data > Sort > Sort by select Column B > select As...

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

IF FUNCTION #14
he following formula: =IF(B3=8,IF(B7=16,(B6*12/16)+(3*B8)+(4*B9)+(8*B10),(IF(B7=24,(B6*12/24)+(3*B8)+(4*B9)+(B10*8),0)))) Works well if the first condition B3=8 is met and returns the correct value. The problem is that when that condition is not met the formula returs FALSE, I want it to print 0. Every option I have tried has failed. The error always says to many arguments have been entered. Thanks in advance for any help. Have you tried =b6*12/b7 -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Gulfman100" <Gulfman100@discussions.microsoft....

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Access to User Calendar

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary

Users ability to Manage Groups

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

HOWTO: Customizing CRM

number format with leading 0

How do you invoke the Let and Get class Functions
I have create classes with the Let and Get functions and now I would like to use these functions to store and retrieve data in the class which will then be put into a collection. Here is the class functions: Private pBusPart As Double Private pStartTime As Date Private pIndex As Integer '''''''''''''''''''''' ' BusPart property '''''''''''''''''''''' Public Property Get BusPart() As Double BusPar...

about Exchange 2003 sp2
Hi, I upgrade my Exchange 2003 to sp2, and find out a message in application event log: Event id: 1004 Source: Application Error Failed application program: inetinfo.exe This message is with blue color, not red. And until now my Exchange service all work, and information store can mount without any problem. But I still worry about maybe something will happen. So can anyone help me what��s happened? Many thanks for your help! Hi David, What is the full text of the event log message? Also, are the IIS Admin, SMTP and World Wide Web Publishing services running? -- Scott ...

Trouble in Save existing file
Hi there, I am using GetSaveFileName(), OnSaveDocument() to save configuration file of my application. Trouble is when I open existing file, edit, and try to save it as the same name, it compains like "Access to file was denied" and I can't save it. But it can be saved as a new name by SaveAs menu. One other thing is this trouble is happening only in Window2000 PCs. It just works well in Window 98. The application is developed in Windows 2000 and I am using Flags like OFN_PATHMUSTEXIST | OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST; Please help. Bob NZ >Hi there, I am using GetSaveFileName(), OnSaveD...

how to create a multiple conditional formula
I am trying the find a solution for the following multiple formula (example); IF(A1="K"; B1+(B1*C10);B1) AND IF(A1="N";B1+(B1*C11);B1). So actually two expressions in one formula. I can't find a good solution. Is there anybody who can help me? Thank you in advance. Ad Buijs =B1+B1*IF(A1="K",C10,if(A1="N",C11,0)) "Ad Buijs" wrote: > I am trying the find a solution for the following multiple formula (example); > IF(A1="K"; B1+(B1*C10);B1) AND IF(A1="N";B1+(B1*C11);B1). So actually two > expressions ...

Effective VBA Code for Conditional Charting
Hello there, in a line chart, I need to show 3 different markers / colors for data points depending on whether the basic data to be shown are =, > or < zero. My attempts to code this in vba works, but very slowly. I suspect there is an effective way to do this, but can't find it. Does anyboday know better ? Thank you in advance, Kind regards, H.G. Lamy Hi H, Maybe you don't need VBA code at all. Have a look at Jon Peltier's examples on conditional charts. (http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/format.html#CondChart) You should be able to modify the techn...