2 existing spreadsheets show 1st line rather than header row to sort ...

(XL2003)

This is odd, I haven't seen this ever before.  I was working on
spreadsheets yesterday for a mail merge.  Two had headers rows.  I
cleaned up both documents, put print area and then tried to sort.  In
both cases, what came up in the sort was the first row below the
header where one always sees the actual titles of the header row when
one selects the Header Row radio button under "My List Has" in the
"Sort" box.

I fiddled and fiddled a bit and managed to get one of the workbooks to
display the sort properly by the header row titles - without figuring
out what fixed I did that fixed it <g>.  But the other never did and
had to sort as is.  What seemed to happen is that all but that row got
properly sorted and I had to move that row to its correct position in
alphanumerical order.

Was wondering, though, what caused this.  It's not anything I ever ran
into at all in XL2K.  But I've noticed that things have to spelled out
a bit more in XL2003 sometimes so it'll be good to know whhat I have
to do now.

Thanks!  :oD

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,

With the range selected choose Data, Sort, Options, and make sure
Orientation is set to Sort top to bottom.

If this helps, click the Yes button.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"StargateFan" wrote:

> (XL2003)
>
> This is odd, I haven't seen this ever before.  I was working on
> spreadsheets yesterday for a mail merge.  Two had headers rows.  I
> cleaned up both documents, put print area and then tried to sort.  In
> both cases, what came up in the sort was the first row below the
> header where one always sees the actual titles of the header row when
> one selects the Header Row radio button under "My List Has" in the
> "Sort" box.
>
> I fiddled and fiddled a bit and managed to get one of the workbooks to
> display the sort properly by the header row titles - without figuring
> out what fixed I did that fixed it <g>.  But the other never did and
> had to sort as is.  What seemed to happen is that all but that row got
> properly sorted and I had to move that row to its correct position in
> alphanumerical order.
>
> Was wondering, though, what caused this.  It's not anything I ever ran
> into at all in XL2K.  But I've noticed that things have to spelled out
> a bit more in XL2003 sometimes so it'll be good to know whhat I have
> to do now.
>
> Thanks!  :oD

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 12:05:03 -0800, ShaneDevenshire
<ShaneDevenshire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>With the range selected choose Data, Sort, Options, and make sure
>Orientation is set to Sort top to bottom.
>
>If this helps, click the Yes button.

Thanks!  I couldn't remember how I'd done it once before when I had
this problem.  I'm new to 2003/2007 and this never happened in 2000
since I never had to select other than certain cells in the header row
that I needed, which is what is causing this problem, I now know.
Even doing it that way, XL2K leaves blanks and non blanks option in.
Not so in 2003/2007.

I don't know what I'll do when I have to filter out a row somewhere
below the main/first row of the header one.  I'll have to cross that
bridge when I get to it, I guess.  Hopefully there's something new
there that I don't yet know about that will allow me to fine-tune
where those filters go without missing out on blanks-non blanks
option.

Thanks much, once again!  <g>

>--
>Thanks,
>Shane Devenshire
>

>"StargateFan" wrote:
>
>> (XL2003)
>>
>> This is odd, I haven't seen this ever before.  I was working on
>> spreadsheets yesterday for a mail merge.  Two had headers rows.  I
>> cleaned up both documents, put print area and then tried to sort.  In
>> both cases, what came up in the sort was the first row below the
>> header where one always sees the actual titles of the header row when
>> one selects the Header Row radio button under "My List Has" in the
>> "Sort" box.
>>
>> I fiddled and fiddled a bit and managed to get one of the workbooks to
>> display the sort properly by the header row titles - without figuring
>> out what fixed I did that fixed it <g>.  But the other never did and
>> had to sort as is.  What seemed to happen is that all but that row got
>> properly sorted and I had to move that row to its correct position in
>> alphanumerical order.
>>
>> Was wondering, though, what caused this.  It's not anything I ever ran
>> into at all in XL2K.  But I've noticed that things have to spelled out
>> a bit more in XL2003 sometimes so it'll be good to know whhat I have
>> to do now.
>>
>> Thanks!  :oD

ListView Sorting
Hi Everyone, I am subclassing the ListView Control to make viable with the VB-like ListView Commmon control. The question is how do i have sorting on insertion. That is, I am specifying sorting in the beginging. I have a CALLBACK function to sort the listitems. It works only when i call the SORT function explicitly. How do i make it auto sort, whenever i insert an item into the ListView control. Any suggetsion/example..? -Venkatesh I've not done a lot with this,l but my recollection is that I simply subclassed the control and overrod the insert operation to re-sort the data. joe On...

Sort a range
Hi, We have two columns containing formulas(243 in each column) What we want to do is sort this data in to a top 5 without having to move or alter the formulas :- ie display the top 5 elsewhere leaving the original columns(formulas) and rows intact Can this be done with the mimimum of formulas(eg 5) or VB code thanks in advance kevin Maybe you could just apply Data|Filter|Autofilter. then use the "top 10" (you can adjust the top and 10 portions). If that doesn't work for you, how about adding another column. Then take a look at the =rank() worksheet function in excel'...

XP 64 bit not showing all RAM
I have a dual boot system running both XP and Ubuntu 64 bit. I have 8 GB of DDR2 RAM installed. XP shows 2.75 GB of RAM in System, while Ubuntu shows 7.8 GB. XP was showing almost 8 GB until just recently. I tried resetting the BIOS and that did not work. It was working fine on the default BIOS settings recently. Is there anything within the OS that needs to be tweaked in order for it to recognize all the RAM again? My hardware: Intel Pentium E5200 Dual Core @ 2.50 GHz XFX nForce 780i Motherboard 8 GB DDR2 RAM (4 X 2 GB) Dual Channel. NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB vi...

Reports - Customization - Add new Columns
I have a few questions regarding customizing the active reports. For example, in detailed sales report, we want to add columns like Average Selling Price (ASP), Average Units Sold/Transaction etc. How do we go about it? What needs to be done? Any documentation available? Regards. ...

page numbering #2
I'm working on a landscape Excel document...the document will become part of a booklet,and I need the page numbers at the bottom of the page, but in portrait. Any help? ...

MSDN Installation 1.2: Javascript Errors
I have installed a CRM Server and separate CRM client (along with the supplied example database). Access through IE6 works fine. Within Sales for outlook, I have 2 issues; 1> It takes 1.5 minutes to start up Outlook (it's only a 1Ghz machine, but CPU usage appears as 1-2% while it is loading). 2> I get various script errors when clicking on the CRM Shortcuts; Errors include messages such as... 'http//crmsvr/sfa/home_comps.aspx - object does not support this property or method' IE script error 'Could not complete the operation due to error 80020101' For testing, ...

Hide rows with value "Hours"
I would like to toggle rows to hide/unhide based on the value "Hours" in column B. I think filtering is an issue to some blank seperator rows and merged cell headings. There are no merged cells involving Column B. Thanks. Public Sub ProcessData() Const TEST_COLUMN As String = "B" '<=== change to suit Dim i As Long Dim iLastRow As Long With ActiveSheet iLastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, TEST_COLUMN).End(xlUp).row For i = 1 To iLastRow .Rows(i).Hidden = .Cells(i, TEST_COLUMN).Value = "Hours" Next i End With ...

USB2 2.5 external backup
After very useful help from this group earlier, I am now deciding which external drive to buy. I am converting to USB 2.0 but on seeing a number of sales sites often 2.5 drive is shown as laptop and 3.5 as desktop. As I have very little backup 40 GB would give me ample space. I have a desktop unit but would prefer a 2.5 would this be compatible with desktop setup. Regards Roger ========================================= ============================== Roger wrote: > After very useful help from this group earlier, I am now deciding which > external drive to buy. I a...

Microsoft Outlook 2000 error #2
I have not been able to keep Outlook up on our server, it closes soon after it is opened with this error that I cannot understand. It says: Exception: access violation (0xc0000005) Address: 0x3f99a142 What does it mean and how can I fix it? Does anyone have any idea? Thank you! ...

How to insert an existing macro into "Additional Include Directories"?
I have post this to another group. To avoid cross posting, I give the link to the original post. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vsnet.general/browse_thread/thread/bc7ece9c00632947?hl=zh-CN Please give some consideration. Thanks in advance. ...

Quote Product showing products not part of the Quote Price List
On the quote I pick a price list with 2 products on it and save it. I drill into Quote Product and the product lookup shows me those two products and products that are not part of that price list. What am I missing? I suspect this is by design, Bob. You might need to write a script to check if the product selected is present in the specified pricelist and display an alert, etc. HTH, Niths "Bob" wrote: > On the quote I pick a price list with 2 products on it and save it. I drill > into Quote Product and the product lookup shows me those two products and > product...

Exchange 2003 message tracker showing junk email having a event id 1031.
These junk email messages are making it out of my exchange server. I am pretty sure that my exchange server is not a relay after multiple verifications. I am suspecting it to be a mass mailer trojan virus. However, I have no clue how to find out which workstation is infected. The message tracker for exchange 2003 only shows information on the client ip and that always shows an external one. But I am sure after careful review that it is coming from internal. Here is an example of the message tracking logs: 3/28/2006 0:10:12 GMT 201.14.42.105 -1211838264 bay0-mc4-f7.bay0.hotmail.com TOREADOR 19...

Grouping and Sorting
Hello Im wondering what grouping does? It's in the data dropdown and under group and outline. Also I was wondering if there is a way do sort a table without messing up the dat that is there. I have a table and it it has all the data of x but when I sort in the data shuffle s up and some cells have the message #VALUE! :( :o ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Have you ever used Data|Subtotals to get subtotals based on the value in a column. You get tho...

Compare spreadsheets
What is the best way in EXCEL to compare two spreadsheets so I can determine any differences in content? Each spreadsheet would have the same # of columns and the same # of rows. The only difference would be the data within some of the cells. Thanks in advance. You would need a column in both sheets which has some unique identifier (eg person-number, or stock-number), then you could use VLOOKUP from one sheet to the other to see if that record was present, and to compare values from one field to another. You could also use an INDEX/MATCH combination to do the same job. Hope this helps. ...

Multiple users #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I installed a home/student version of Office. My wife installed the same and unfortunately used the same of the three product codes. Every time she uses this I get kicked off. I uninstalled Office and re-installed with the idea of entering a different product code, but it never asked for a product key code. The program is fully working, except when my wife starts using hers and I get kicked off again. How do I fix this? See step #4 here: http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/index.html#resetkey -- HTH |:>) Bo...

How can I use a display a working spreadsheet as a presentation w.
I need to present a live spreadsheet to a meeting without all the menu bars , scroll bars etc ( as if the spreadsheet was a print , but capable of being changed at will ) How can I do this ? Is it possible in Powerpoint ? ..... or how ? How about going to tools, options an then the view tab. De-tick anything you dont want and press ok. Then go to view and full screen. This is about the closest you can get. Regards Nick Shinkins >-----Original Message----- >I need to present a live spreadsheet to a meeting without all the menu bars , >scroll bars etc ( as if the spread...

Can I create custom forms to add data to a Excel Spreadsheet? How.
see this site http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#UserForm it has a sample WB that you download. good online instructions. >-----Original Message----- > >. > ...

comp.apps.spreadsheets,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Hi All, I am generating large amounts of data that need to be analyzed on the fly. To simplify the problem, consider an Excel workbook that has n number of data sheets, S1 to Sn. Each spreadsheet has 5 columns, C1 to C5 and x number of rows, R1 to Rx, in addition to the a header row. The workbook also has one main sheet called Smain. The workbook should be capable of doing the following automatically, either by pressing a button or auto-refresh when the data is updated: 1. The rows of each data sheet should be sorted max to min according to C3. 2. If the maximum value in C3 of a given sheet...

Banks #2
I am reviewing my current banking relationship and am looking for a better option than Wells Fargo. Their current charges for using bill pay through M/S money is $9.95 a month, no relief it having a high balance or combined accounts. "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F89443FF-1B73-4F22-A029-488DCE4701FF@microsoft.com... >I am reviewing my current banking relationship and am looking for a better > option than Wells Fargo. Their current charges for using bill pay > through > M/S money is $9.95 a month, no relief it having a high ...

Best way to add a row to a table with calculations?
Suppose I have a worksheet like this: 1 2 Date Days 3 5/25/08 35 4 4/20/08 45 5 3/06/08 46 6 1/20/08 41 ... The value in the Date column is calculated (=A3-A4). I would like to add a row between rows 2 and 3 and have it acquire all of the properties of row 3. The best procedure I could come up with is: 1. Right click on row 3, select Insert. This inserts a row between 2 and 3, but it acquires the properties of row 2. 2. Select row 4 (old row 3) and press Ctrl-C (copy). 3. Select row 3 (new row) and press Ctrl-V (paste). This seems to work. Is there a better wa...

Error Handler #2
Has anyone written an error handler for VBA forms. The error handler would display error messages based on bad input and pop up messages dynamically, etc. If not, has anyone developed a clean way to display error messages without using excessive message boxes? Thanks for any help. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Instead of message boxes and popups, consider a label on the form itself that displays the error message. In article <Ripan.zrum2@excelforum-nospam.com>, Ripan <<Ripan.zrum2@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > Has anyone written an error ...

Sumif base on 2 criteria
I am having problems coming up with a sumif formula based on two conditions. I have three columns. Column A = client #, Column B = work code, and Column C = hours. I am looking for a sumif formulat that will calculate the total hours worked for employees working on (for example) Client #387 and work code 88. Please help if you know how to do this. thanks. Joe Hi Joe; use sumproduct for this; =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100=387)*(B1:B100=88),C1:C100) I am assuming 387 and 88 are NUMBERS. If not, enclose them in ""s. "Joe Rotondo" <desjoe@aol.com> wrote in m...

Highlighting Rows #2
Hi Is there a way in which the row you are currently on in excel is highlighted in a different colour, and reverts back to original when user moves to a new row? Thanks right click sheet tab>view code>paste this>SAVE. You'll like it. 'McCurdy.Here is something inspired by Don Guillett. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Dim MyRng As Range Set MyRng = Target.EntireRow Application.EnableEvents = False On Error GoTo end1 Application.Cells.FormatConditions.Delete With MyRng .FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:= _ "=R...

Re: Tax Line Manager shows incorrect salary and tax projections
Hi I have exactly the same problem. Did anybody find a solution? Thanks, V. JC wrote: > *Hi - > > The Tax Line Manager shows the correct Year to Date Salary amoun > but > for some reason, the Projected Total for 2004 is way off. When > drill > down to the projection details, it includes my projected quarterly > bonus but not the regular salary (taxable income) amounts for th > rest > of the year. Same issue with the W-2 tax categories - the projection > includes the taxes for the quarterly bonus but not the regula > salary. > I am using Money 2003, wo...

reading pane in outlook 2003 #2
i prefer not to use the reading pane and have it switched off but it seems its configured seperately for every folder, is there an overall control for the reading pane in outlook 2003 so you can just switch it off for all folders? You can do this by changing the default Messages when all folders are still in this default view. Otherwise define a new view and apply it on first use of the folder. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "jas0n" &...