***Important*** Question about check boxes

Hi,

I have created a survey in Excel which will be sent via email to a lot
of respondents. The survey contains a lot of questions and for each
question, they can tick a check box on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 check
boxes for each question). How can I enter a validation that only one
checkbox may be ticked? What can I do to avoid that users are ticking 2
check boxes (or more) for the same question - only one answer may be
given? Can I make use of a po-up as a warning? Or maybe something
else?

Please help!

Thanks!

Cheers,
Excel-user

--
Excel-User
Excel-User's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37589

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Why not use a Combo box or a list box?  If you use the Form Combo box
you can have the value that the respondent selects mapped to any cell
that you want in the spreadsheet.  Just seems easier to do it that way
that & they'll be forced to pick only 1 answer.

--
Phatchef24
Phatchef24's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=10938

It sounds like you should use optionbuttons instead of checkboxes.  If the
optionbuttons are grouped nicely, you can only select one of the group.

You may want to see one way of implementing optionbuttons from the Forms toolbar
(from Debra Dalgleish's site):

http://www.contextures.com/xlForm01.html

Excel-User wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created a survey in Excel which will be sent via email to a lot
> of respondents. The survey contains a lot of questions and for each
> question, they can tick a check box on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 check
> boxes for each question). How can I enter a validation that only one
> checkbox may be ticked? What can I do to avoid that users are ticking 2
> check boxes (or more) for the same question - only one answer may be
> given? Can I make use of a po-up as a warning? Or maybe something
> else?
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Excel-user
>
> --
> Excel-User
> Excel-User's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37589
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=572137

--

Dave Peterson
0

just have a criteria (on checkbox_click) that says something like
ex.
Private Sub CheckBox1_Click()
If CheckBox1.Value = True Then
    CheckBox2.Enabled = False
    CheckBox3.Enabled = True
    CheckBox4.Enabled = True
Else
    CheckBox2.Enabled = True
    CheckBox3.Enabled = False
    CheckBox4.Enabled = False
endif
end sub

this just makes it so that when checkbox1 is true then checkbox 2 is
disabled and 3 and 4 are enabled.  If it's false then 2 is enabled, 3+4 are
disabled.  this worked fine on a userform, I would imagine this would also
work in a normal excel worksheet.  Good luck

Cheers,

Scott

"Excel-User" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created a survey in Excel which will be sent via email to a lot
> of respondents. The survey contains a lot of questions and for each
> question, they can tick a check box on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 check
> boxes for each question). How can I enter a validation that only one
> checkbox may be ticked? What can I do to avoid that users are ticking 2
> check boxes (or more) for the same question - only one answer may be
> given? Can I make use of a po-up as a warning? Or maybe something
> else?
>
> Please help!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Excel-user
>

> --
> Excel-User
> Excel-User's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37589
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=572137

0
scott7693 (519)

asap utilities question
I have Msft. Excel Vsn 2002 and latest vsn. of ASAP Utilities. I used ASAP Utilities to merge single rows of data together so that more than one row will fit on a single line of text. My question now, is, is it possible using ASAP Utilities to separate the data that has been merged back into single rows of data? All information welcomed! Aaron ...

Isinteg Warning Message Question

How Do I Import Stock Quotes to Money2004 Standard?
Does anyone know how to import stock quotes into Money. Some of the ones I am interested in are not supported by MSN for online update. I know I can enter the data manually but I want to be able to update prices for multiple stocks on a regular basis. I have tried ceating a .ofx file for importing and Money reports "Import Completed" with no errors but the price I specified does not appear in the price history. The extract from the .ofx file relating to price I was trying to import is as follows: <SECLISTMSGSRSV1> <SECLIST> <STOCKINFO> <SECINFO> <S...

import a 123 file

Dotfuscator question
Hello Everybody !!! When i create programm using C# i must understand that my programm from exe - module can be converted to the source file by Reflector. In Order do not allow do this i must use dotfuscator, but i did not find any free normal dotfuscator. May be someone tell me what can i do cause now as think we have interesting paradox. We 've got free technology but if we want to protect our products we must buy expensive commercial dotfuscators. Alex Dmitriev You should post this message in a newsgroup which discusses managed code. This newsgroup does not have much managed traff...

question on the rules wizard
When clikcing on the Rules Wizard, Outlook locks up - consistently. Has anyone got a remedy for this? Thank you, rich rpage@concerto.com ...

printing imported gif files in Excel

Customer check data

OE questions
Ok, I have two questions: 1. With Thunderbird I can use this with a hotkey manager to compose a new message with Tbird "D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird \thunderbird.exe -compose" -- how can I do the same for Outlook Express and Outlook 2003? 2. When I go to load Outlook Express I get this error message, followed by the error message below it: http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x296/gwar_1/Untitled-3.png how can I fix this and use Outlook Express? Thanks! posted to the outlookexpress newsgroup via crosspost --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Re...

question about Time

Adding a combo box to a worksheet

why does my spell check not work?
My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? In what program / version "karen" <karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA8883BD-0958-4AB0-93FF-F43E4FB9D176@microsoft.com... > My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? ...

Sizing drop down validation box
I have a form with lots of drop down validation boxes, many of them are Yes,No,N/A or Pass,Fail,N/A so one a narrow box is required but all the drop downs are about three inches wide. Once I accidentally go them to the right size and saved the file, closed it, then re-opened and the drop downs were really wide again. Does anyone know have to set the width, I always thought they were the same width as the cell they pop from but not the case. Wayman Those extra wide dropdown lists appear occasionally, usually if cells on the worksheet have been merged (not necessarily the cell with t...

HQ Licensing question V.2
I have a client running HQ client at 8 stores + HQ server at the warehouse. They would like to be able to use transfers from the warehouse to the stores, so I would have to setup a new PC running Store Ops and a new database, however, in order for the transfers to take place, I need a HQ Client License correct? Do I also need a POS key? I appreciate any insights you may have. Thanks in advance Hi Phil yes - you'll need an HQ Client license so it can exchange with your headquarters - "export" the wh database as you would any store from HQ no - you won't need a PO...

me too, problem with import... only 15 records
me too, problem with import... only 15 records.... also in one of my customers crm i need a fast answer.... I dont see a question to answer...? JUAN MARKETING wrote: > me too, problem with import... only 15 records.... also in one of my > customers crm > > i need a fast answer.... Hehe yeah, what is the question!? what are you trying to import? Sorry, I don't know the reason, bu each time i try to import x number of accounts or contacts, MSCRM only import 15 records... Promise, everything is ok... columns, format csv from excel, size, records.... I say that, becau...

MS Project 2007 question
Hello, I am developing a simple schedule with no resources but 2 tasks out of 100 are hazardous and I would like to make the schedule so that when these tasks occur, no other tasks can occur. In other words, even though all tasks are moving around as the schedule is being developed, I would like to make sure no other tasks can be scheduled wherever these 2 hazardous tasks fall. These 2 tasks are serial to every other task in the schedule. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for your help. Mike Create two milestones. Use milestone 1 as the successor task to all tasks th...

Clearing "Custom Footer" box
Is there a way to delete the contents of the "Custom Footer" option when going through the "Page Setup" menu? I would like to clear out all previously created custom footers and start fresh. Thanks. TC T Crosby, Go to FILE>PAGE SETUP>HEADER/FOOTER, click on the "Custom Footer button. A new dialog box will appear with three panes. Highlight th contents in each pane (one pane at a time) and hit delete. Hope this helps Case -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have some responses at your other post. T Crosby wrote: > > Is there a wa...