[help please!] Extract selected data from html files using keywords?

Hi,

I would like to keep some selected data in an Excel cell that is available
between two keywords in an internet html page (to be downloaded by excel).

For instance :

Inside the html file, there is the following text :
---
Number : 1258622
Sector : electric
Net : 8.2
---

So I would like Excel to search between the keyword "Number" and "Sector"
and keep the data "1258622" in a cell.

Many thanks in advance for any help,  ;-)
Tid

0
pasdemail (2)
11/19/2003 11:58:14 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

These lines are all in one cell?

If yes, then this worked ok for me (assumes A1 contains the text):

=--REPLACE(REPLACE(A1,SEARCH("Sector : ",A1)-1,LEN(A1),""),1,
                    8+SEARCH("Number : ",A1),"")

(all one cell)

(remove the leading -- if you want the number to be returned as text.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Thank you for your anwser. Alas I am afraid I was not enough clear.
I'll try to improve now :

> These lines are all in one cell?

No if you are speaking of these lines because there are in random in the
html webpage but not in a excel worksheet:

"Inside the html file, there is the following text :
Number : 1258622
Sector : electric
Net : 8.2"

Any other idea ?
Thank you very much in advance,
Tid

> If yes, then this worked ok for me (assumes A1 contains the text):
>
> =--REPLACE(REPLACE(A1,SEARCH("Sector : ",A1)-1,LEN(A1),""),1,
>                     8+SEARCH("Number : ",A1),"")
>
> (all one cell)
>
> (remove the leading -- if you want the number to be returned as text.)

0
pasdemail (2)
11/20/2003 9:29:03 AM
So you have two strings that appear somewhere in the worksheet and you want to
copy them and the data between them to a new worksheet???

If yes, then this might get you started:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

    Dim topWord As String
    Dim botWord As String
    Dim TopCell As Range
    Dim BotCell As Range
    Dim curWks As Worksheet
    Dim newWks As Worksheet
    Dim ok2Continue As Boolean

    topWord = "Number : "
    botWord = "Sector : "

    Set curWks = ActiveSheet
    Set newWks = Worksheets.Add

    With curWks.UsedRange
        Set TopCell = .Find(what:=topWord, after:=.Cells(.Cells.Count), _
            LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchdirection:=xlNext)

        Set BotCell = .Find(what:=botWord, after:=.Cells(.Cells.Count), _
            LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart, searchdirection:=xlNext)
    End With

    With curWks

        ok2Continue = True
        If TopCell Is Nothing Then
            MsgBox topWord & " was not found"
            ok2Continue = False
        End If
        If BotCell Is Nothing Then
            MsgBox botWord & " was not found"
            ok2Continue = False
        End If

        If ok2Continue Then
            .Range(TopCell, BotCell).Copy _
                Destination:=newWks.Range("a1")
        End If

    End With
End Sub

tid wrote:

> Dear Dave,
>
> Thank you for your anwser. Alas I am afraid I was not enough clear.
> I'll try to improve now :
>
> > These lines are all in one cell?
>
> No if you are speaking of these lines because there are in random in the
> html webpage but not in a excel worksheet:
>
> "Inside the html file, there is the following text :
> Number : 1258622
> Sector : electric
> Net : 8.2"
>
> Any other idea ?
> Thank you very much in advance,
> Tid
>
> > If yes, then this worked ok for me (assumes A1 contains the text):
> >
> > =--REPLACE(REPLACE(A1,SEARCH("Sector : ",A1)-1,LEN(A1),""),1,
> >                     8+SEARCH("Number : ",A1),"")
> >
> > (all one cell)
> >
> > (remove the leading -- if you want the number to be returned as text.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0