"Group"ing adjacent columns independently

I was hoping that someone might know how to do the following - or
whether it is possible at all ...

I am using Excel's "Group and Outline" capability and I would like to
independently group adjacent columns (or rows).  For example, I'd like
to be able to create a group of columns A and B and a separate group
of columns C and D - with each group being independently selectable
via the "+" and "-" buttons.  As far as I can tell, if you try to
group adjacent columns, the two groups get merged into a single
group.  Also, if I play games by trying to insert an additional column
to act as a separator between the grouped columns and then "hiding"
the separator column (so the columns appear to be adjacent) I don't
have ready access to the "+" or "-" buttons and I don't have complete
independent control of the grouped columns.  (I would like to do this
repeatedly in a spreadsheet).

If possible, I'd like to end up with something like the following ...

                    .....................|-|
  .....................|-|

  |   A   |   B   |   C   |   D   |   E   |

Thank-you,

Ralph

P.S.  This is my first posting, so if I'm not following the proper
protocols, please let me know.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,

If the ranges (rows) overlap then the new group will be a super/sub group of
the existing group.  That is how the Group and Outline feature work.

You could create a pivot table from the data in columns A & B and another
one from the data in columns C and D.  Pivot tables allow grouping that is
more powerful grouping then Group & Outline, and they can do so much more.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Ralph.B.Roncoli@jpl.nasa.gov" wrote:

> I was hoping that someone might know how to do the following - or
> whether it is possible at all ...
>
> I am using Excel's "Group and Outline" capability and I would like to
> independently group adjacent columns (or rows).  For example, I'd like
> to be able to create a group of columns A and B and a separate group
> of columns C and D - with each group being independently selectable
> via the "+" and "-" buttons.  As far as I can tell, if you try to
> group adjacent columns, the two groups get merged into a single
> group.  Also, if I play games by trying to insert an additional column
> to act as a separator between the grouped columns and then "hiding"
> the separator column (so the columns appear to be adjacent) I don't
> have ready access to the "+" or "-" buttons and I don't have complete
> independent control of the grouped columns.  (I would like to do this
> repeatedly in a spreadsheet).
>
> If possible, I'd like to end up with something like the following ...
>
>                     .....................|-|
>   .....................|-|
>
>   |   A   |   B   |   C   |   D   |   E   |

> Thank-you,
>
> Ralph
>

> P.S.  This is my first posting, so if I'm not following the proper
> protocols, please let me know.

Group Rows without unhiding them!
Hello, you may know what I mean. I have three rows where the 2nd one is hidden. When I apply the group onto those cells they always get unhidden. Do you know how to avoid this? ne0trace The only thing I've ever done tosolve that is to put the 2nd row in another group (nest groups within each other). Then when you expand the 3-row group, you only see rows 1 and 3, and you'd have to expand again in order to see row 2. So this way, row 2 stays hidden until until called for. On 7 Aug., 16:26, tsi...@intelligentsystemsconsulting.com wrote: > The only thing I've ever done tosolve...

Is this news group still active?
Just checking to see if anyone reads\replies to messages .. My reader (Thunderbird) seems to have stopped recieving message after 8/10/05... Works fine with mine. V1.0.2 Rowan Prior rowanp <removethis> wrote: > Just checking to see if anyone reads\replies to messages .. My reader > (Thunderbird) seems to have stopped recieving message after 8/10/05... How very strange .. 30 seconds after posting my question, eveything updated ... yeah, I am happy to be back living in the here and now.. noyb wrote: > Works fine with mine. V1.0.2 > > Rowan Prior rowanp <removethi...

Outlook 2003
HELP! I've used Outlook Express for years and just switched to Outlook 2003. In Express I had 'Groups' of contacts such as Clients, Leads, Newsletter, etc. It appears that in Outlook / Contacts these are now called Distribution Lists (DL) rather than Groups. I've created a few DL's and 'Selected Members' and even sent emails successfully to that DL. Here's the question / problem... How can I look at a specific contact and know what DL's he/she belongs to? Even opening the 'Detailed Address Cards' I can't find that information. I can...

Grouping
hi all I am trying to group a text box and an object but the group links are all greyed out - any ideas? thanks neen Did you gather all the boxes with the mouse? -- Don ------- Vancouver, USA "Neen" <Neen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:77858A96-EF4C-4AAB-A459-0D2E74F06FF1@microsoft.com... > hi all > > I am trying to group a text box and an object but the group links are all > greyed out - any ideas? > > thanks > > neen It's just not giving me the option to do it - the option to begin a group is completely greyed out,...

importing groups from ACT intact into Contacts
I have my database in ACT seperated into several groups. Is there a way to import them into my Outlook contacts so that they are still categorized in the groups as I have them set up in ACT? Alan Palmer D.C. ...

No longer able to specify a Group to "send on behalf of" a user?
With Exchange 2k, I was able to allow a global security group send on behalf of an individual. Now with Exchange 2k3, I am only able to add a specific user or "Other Objects" to the "Send on Behalf of" property of a users exchange settings. anyone have any ideas? ...

Can I copy Groups from one spreadsheet to another?
I have a file which has been produced by exporting data from MS Project, and I would like to make this easier to read in Excel by grouping Tasks and sub-Tasks by Row. I don't have MS Project myself, so am dependant on exports by people who do. If I manually Group Tasks and sub-Tasks by Row can I copy/transfer these Groups to the next version I receive, or do I have to do the grouping all over again from scratch? There is a column headed 'Outline Level', containing numbers 1 to 8. Can these be used to create an Outline in Excel? If so how? ...

Unable to view local data group "My Contacts"
I have an online only, on premise Dynamics CRM client 4.0. Rollup 2.0. When accessing CRM > Modify Local Data Groups and double clicking on "My Contacts" - I am presented with a message: "This filter is for an entity that is not available offline and cannot be opened. Delete the filter." Also if I click New a new window opens that says "You do not have sufficient privileges to any advanced findable entities. The URL of the page points to http://servername/organization/tools/offlinedata/offlinefilter.aspx. I'm not sure why it thinks my client is offline - it see...

Possible to Deny OWA based on Group Membership?
Hello All, I was wondering if it is possible to deny Outlook Web Access to users based on group membership. By default, everyone has OWA enabled on their user account, but is it possible to deny OWA by group membership while still having OWA enabled on their user account? Thanks, -Bob It's possible that you could deny this through IIS permissions, but you should test it in your lab. There's no way I know of to do it through regular user-based rights. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Bob R." <here@...

Multiple Selection when Grouping columns
Is there a way to select multiple columns and then group them? I know it works with "hide" but it doesnt seem to work with "Group". ...

European Exchange Users Group Forum
Join the European Exchange Users Group Forum initiative! You already have an organized group of Exchange professionals in your country or you would like to set up one? You would like get in touch with Exchange professional groups in other countries? You would like to discuss about Exchange and related technologies, share your experience with other groups? You have announcements, articles, links, photos, that you would like to share with the world? Then join us at the European Exchange Users Group Forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eugeurope/ Regards, Dejan Foro MCP, MCP+I, MCSE NT40...

inconsistant result in group footer
I have a report with a subform with a group footer. In the group footer I have a calculated field with this expression in the control source: =Sum(Nz([quantity],0)*Nz([unit_price],0)) Quantity and unit_price are both fields in the table to which is the record source for the subform. When I run the report it works perfectly. When one of my users runs the report, she gets #error. I have given her all the permissions for the report and the underlying tables. I don't know where to look next to explain this. Can anyone give me a suggestion? If you are summing the values in a subr...

Showing number series in query for grouped items
Hi, I have a stock table which has serial numbers for each item. I want a query which groups the item types and shows the first and last serial numbers for that item type along with how many. Eg. 10 x mobile phones first serial number = xxx1, last serial number = xx10. I tried the first, last, min and max functions but they continue to group and show each of the 10 items individually. Any ideas?? Thanks On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 04:27:01 -0800, Flanders <Flanders@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have a stock table which has serial numbers for each item. I want ...

Public Folder Replication Reminder
Hi, I am posting this in the hope that I can confirm how public folders are replicated between two Exchange 2000 servers, which are installed in the same Exchange 2000 organisation, administrative group and routing group. Up to this point, we have had only a single Exchange server, but I have now been forced to install a second Exchange server within the same organsation, administrative and routing group as the single server is on it's last legs. I have only the default Public Folder Tree in operation and both my servers have Public Folder stores configured and mounted. I need to ...

Grouping dates on a Chart
I have a workbook with 12 sheets in it, one for each month of the year. Each sheet has the day of the week in column B, several other values in columns C -- J and a transaction value in column K. What I want to do is create a chart that groups the dates into days of the week and then displays a bar showing the sum of all transactions on each of those days in the month. So, for example, the sheet for March would show: 1 x x x x x x x x 1250.00 2 x x x x x x x x 80.00 3 x x x x x x x x 3000.00 4 x x x x x x x...

Saving a group or folder of emails to Word
Hi, I am trying to save several emails at once to Notepad or Word. When I had Eudora I could easily sort my mail by sender and save everything form one sender in a single file, but with OE can only save one emailat a time. (Not an option.) If I could find where the email folders are buried maybe I could copy a whole folder over, but the location information is truncated when I click on folder properties. It looks like this: documents and settings\name\localsettings\applica But when I look in there I can't find what I need. Thanks. ...

How to use outline data (grouped rows) in a protected worksheet?
I want to protect a sheet containing outline data in grouped rows. After protection, users cannot hide or display the rows using the expansion buttons in the margin. Is using outline data impossible in protected sheets? ...

Categories/Groups
We use categories for our contacts within Outlook to group them into sets for certain functions e.g. Christmas Card List, Invitations to Demos, ..... Or even to place them within sectors e.g. Hauliers, Hospitals, VIPs, ....... Our current CRM has a similar function simply called Groups; you can add any contact or company to a Group. The Outlook Categories solution actually works best, simply because whenever you view a contact you are able to see what categories they have been added into. Therefore, any team member at any time is able to check that a contact is actually in all the appro...

How to list contact in a group?
Once I create a group and add some contacts to it... How do I lee the list of contacts in the group so I can click & bring up their records as needed? thanks - tmb Could you describe more completely what you mean? Outlook does not use groups. It uses Distribution Lists. Simply opening the DL will display the members. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "tmb" <topmailbox@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:vT9nb.43065$RP2.39403@twister.tampabay.rr.com... > Once I create a group and add some contacts to it... > > How do I lee the list of contacts in the group so I ca...

Groups synchronising with PDA
I've created several groups of contacts in addition to having categories to try and separate clients as much as possible. the trouble is when I synchronise my PDA via Windows Mobile Device Centre. The trouble is the original main contacts group is the only one getting synchronised with my phone. Is there a solution other than moving all the individual contact groups back under the main one? Not an Outlook issue. Most sync software will only use the default Contacts Folder. Check with whoever makes yours. -- Russ Valentine "David Ashton" <David Ashton@discussi...

Native Mode
Hello, We are in Exchange Native Mode ( We changed from Mixed to Native ) and are trying to Consolidate Sites, We are sucessfull in moving the mailboxes But the X400 addresses of the mailbox is not getting updated Also the Administrative Group When we look at the User Properties in ADUC under Exchange Advanced Tab still shows the Old Administrative Group, Is this a Issue when we remove the old Admin Group and How do we fix it Abby <Abby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are in Exchange Native Mode ( We changed from Mixed to Native ) and are >trying to Consolidate Si...

XSD.exe and nested attribute group
I need to group some attribute for use in different types, but if I nest an attributegroup inside another one I miss the nested attribute in class generated with xsd.exe. For example if I use the following two schemas xsd.exe give me the same class. First Schema: <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://example.org/" targetNamespace="http://example.org/" elementFormDefault="qualified"> <xsd:attributeGroup name="Gruppo1"> <xsd:attribute name="attributo1" type="x...

2 questions
In one cell in the SS, I have a comma delineated group of numbers eg 23,4,5,36,2 Is it possible to determine that another cells contents resides within this number set? eg can somehow determine the number 5 (cell g44) resides in this group? Thanks In another worksheet we have, we wish to maintain a number of them as Flat File Databases, and dump 60,000 records in each. We have "The dummies guide to excel" and I am sure I read that if set up as a database the limitations are 256 columns/fields and 16,000 records. Is this true? if so, why? Thank you. Thank you doubleDD, wo...

Option Group and Related Controls
I have a questionnaire with many option groups and their associated toggle button option controls. My question is how do I get the names of the controls as they are related to the option group? Psuedo Code Example: For each OptionGroup For each Toggle button in OptionGroup Print Name and Value of Toggle Button Get Name of Toggle Buttons Next Toggle button Next Option Group Carlos Never mind. I found an alternate solution: Public Sub ChangeToggleButtonValue() Dim frm As Form Dim ctl As Control Dim ctls As Controls Set frm = Form_frmPTSD Set ctls = frm.Controls For Each...

IE8
i wish to disable this setting but it returns to "Not config" "Turn on Warn about Certificate Address Mismatch" Machine-Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Security Page Previous post / web info advised that "Not config" = "disabled" But the warning still come up and i can edit this setting in IE8 (option/advance) So i tried to do reverse, i enabled it in Group policy and it has no problem to enabled. The setting in IE8 (option/advance) is locked (cannot be changed) which means the group policy setting has be...