"Do you want to save" when Excel OPENS

I understand about the "Do you want to save" message when you close
Excel, even if you didn't make any changes: Excel doesn't distinguish
between real changes and the recalculation of volatile functions.

But at work we've had a user claim that he gets the message when he
OPENS Excel when our add-in is checked (having been checked when
Excel was open before). Specifically, it asks "Do you want to save
changes to Sheet 2?" I'm sure it's not our add-in as such, since no
one has ever report this before. But it may be some interaction
between our add-in and something unusual on the user's machine or
Excel settings.

Does anyone have any idea where I should start looking? I've already
queried about VBA start-up code and anything in the Excel startup
folder(s).

                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Stan,

I would start by looking in the XLA project for Open event statements. They
could be under ThisWorkbook_Open() or Auto_Open(). Look for the error
message string that you received, as it doesn't look like a MS Excel error
message, more like a msgbox man-made message. Another, unlikely, option
could be that there is something written in the Class Module of the Personal
Workbook.xls used for application-level events that triggers when a workbook
is opened and the Add-in is installed.

If you are certain that the same behaviour does not happen in other
machines, it sounds like it has to do with the user's Personal Workbook...
You can try, providing that this is acceptable, deleting the user's Personal
workbook file and then recording a random macro, to force the creation of a
new one, and then testing again in the users machine.

To be honest there could be a number of different things, but at least this
is a start.

Leo

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>I understand about the "Do you want to save" message when you close
> Excel, even if you didn't make any changes: Excel doesn't distinguish
> between real changes and the recalculation of volatile functions.
>
> But at work we've had a user claim that he gets the message when he
> OPENS Excel when our add-in is checked (having been checked when
> Excel was open before). Specifically, it asks "Do you want to save
> changes to Sheet 2?" I'm sure it's not our add-in as such, since no
> one has ever report this before. But it may be some interaction
> between our add-in and something unusual on the user's machine or
> Excel settings.
>
> Does anyone have any idea where I should start looking? I've already
> queried about VBA start-up code and anything in the Excel startup
> folder(s).

>                                  http://OakRoadSystems.com/

"Do you want to save changes" not working...
I copied an excel chart into powerpoint as "Excel Chart (entire workbook)" so that it would not have any links to the orginal worksheet. When I then go in to edit the data the changes are made to the chart however if I close the powerpoint presentation it does not ask me if I want to save my changes, and when I reopen the presentation the chart goes back to the orginal data. If I consciously save the presentation before closing it, the changes made, however I'm afraid I might close it without remembering to save it since I'm not prompted. Is this a problem wi...

Do you want to save or open this file?
I am trying to print a Word document from with an ASP.Net 2005 application. My code is: Dim myFile As New FileInfo(fileName) Response.Clear() Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=" + (UserSession.LoggedInUser.PrinterName + "^").Replace(" ", "$").Replace("\", "~") + "Barcode.Doc") Response.AddHeader("Content-Length", myFile.Length.ToString()) Response.ContentType = "application/msword" Response.WriteFile(myFile.FullName) Response.Flush() When the code ...

"Do you want to save" when Excel OPENS
I understand about the "Do you want to save" message when you close Excel, even if you didn't make any changes: Excel doesn't distinguish between real changes and the recalculation of volatile functions. But at work we've had a user claim that he gets the message when he OPENS Excel when our add-in is checked (having been checked when Excel was open before). Specifically, it asks "Do you want to save changes to Sheet 2?" I'm sure it's not our add-in as such, since no one has ever report this before. But it may be some interaction between our add-...

Do you want to save changes?
Everytime a shared workbook is opened and then closed without changes being made to it, users are prompted by the following: This document has been modified. Do you want to save changes? Yes: Saves your changes. No: Discards your changes. Cancel Keeps this document open. Using excel 2002. Again, no changes are made and the prompt still comes up. Thanks in advance for any help. NWH Hi not sure but could be a 'feature' of shared workbooks. another reason could be the use of volatile functions: http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretsi.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel...

how can i disable the automatic 'do you want to save' pop up in e.
I have an excel workbook that recieves its information from Access and I do not want to save the information, how can I stop the automatic pop up ' do you want to save this workbook' as my automatic response is to click on the save now button. Hi Spindrift, Right-click the Excel icon at the extreme left of the Menu bar | View Code | paste : Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Me.Saved = True End Sub --- Regards, Norman "Spindrift" <Spindrift@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:984C9FB2-EC92-461F-B891-47A4BC74C838@microsoft.c...

Do You want to Save Changes
Sometimes when I close Outlook 2007 I am asked if I want to save changes. Using XP Pro in a single user environment. Don't know why I am asked and never had issue with Outlook 2003. Would appreciate any assistance -- Neil ...

Stop "attachments of message have changed...do you want to save?"
How do I stop receiving this message for any message for which I have merely opened an attachment, without making any change to it? This greatly depends on your version of Outlook and the type of attachment. For details see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/175 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "DaveHause" <DaveHause@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messag...

"Do you want to save changes?" question
Is there a flag or variable or property that I can check that indicates whether or not the "Do you want to save changes?" dialog will appear when a workbook is closed?? If someone changes the contents of a cell and tries to close the workbook without saving, Excel knows that the user did not save the workbook. So, just to be more clear, how can I find out if Excel knows that a "save changes" is required?? thank you More than one option. Application.DisplayAlerts = False ActiveWorkbook.Close Application.DisplayAlerts = True Or: ActiveWorkbook.Clos...

The File As field is empty, do you want to save this file. Outlo.
I created a contact folder with my own field names. After entering the data I want when I move to the next row of data I get this error message, "The File As field is empty. You may have not entered a name or company. Do you want to save this contact with an empty File As field?" How do I correct this error? Thanks -- Terry It's a warning, not an error. Sounds like you need to set up your data entry view so you can enter the Full Name or Company, which Outlook will automatically use to generate a File As name. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Out...

"do you want to save changes" when I close outlook
I have recently upgraded to office 2007, including outlook 2007. Now when I add senders to the blocked sender list and then close outlook I am prompted “do you want to save changes”. If I click “yes” I then get a message window “the item cannot be saved because it was changed by another user or in another window”. Also asks “Do you want to make a copy in the default folder for the item”. This only happens when senders are added to blocked sender list. I would like to eliminate the prompt as the senders still seem to be added to the list. Previous verion of outlook was 2003. Usin...

"Do you want to save changes?" after editing email
I'm using Windows and Office XP Pro, and in Outlook I am composing messages in Rich Text format, and have selected the "use Microsoft Word to edit e-mail messages" and "use MS Word to read Rich Text messages" options. When I make any changes to an e-mail that has been sent to me, upon closing the e-mail, a pop up window appears asking me if I want to save changes (just like when you make any changes to a Word document). Annoying! I'd like to get rid of this feature. Thank you, Trish Regardless of whether or not Word is set as you editor or what message fo...

Suppress "Do you want to save changes you made to ..." message.
Everytime I try to close an opened excel sheet, I get the message "Do you want to save the cahnges you made to ........." How can I suppress the "warning" dialog? set oOXL = createObject("Excel.Application") oXL.Visible = False oXL.workbooks.Open (Filename) oXL.sheets("Inventory_1").select ....... processing, only reading no modification to sheet ...... oXL.workbooks.Close <<<<< this triggers the message. Set oXL = Nothing Thanks. "Perry" <Perry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

How to suppress "Do you want to save" dialog when closing a workbook in a Macro?
Hello, Say I have this code in a macro: Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim wbBook1 As Workbook Set wbBook1 = Workbooks.Open("C:\Book1.xls") wbBook1.Close If Book1.xls contains formulas, when this code executes, the dialog box comes up asking "Do you want to save the changes you made..." with the options Yes/No/Cancel. How can I make it so that dialog box doesn't come up? If a button has to be chosen, preferably it would be No, to save time when executing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Mike wbBook1.Close SaveChanges:=False -- HTH Bob (the...

macro will not close a file without "Do you want to save the changes you made..." message
Using XL2002, I recorded a macro. The last part of the procedure is closing a file. When i recorded the macro, I selected "No" when prompted if I wanted to save the changes. But when i run the macro, I am still asked if I want to save the changes anyway. The recorded code is... Windows("ydata.exp").Activate ActiveWindow.Close What do i change to eliminate having to answer "No" regarding saving the changes? Thanks, Tonso Try this: Windows("ydata.exp").Activate Application.DisplayAlerts = False ActiveWindow.Close Application.DisplayAlerts = True ...

How to stop message "attachment has changed, do you want to save..
Can this be turned off? It happens whether or not I have made any changes to the attachment. Has MS now defined any opening of a file as a change? It depends on how you open it and in which program. For details see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/175 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "DaveHause" <DaveHause@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...