"a document with the name" error on opening file

I'm getting an error message that says "A documents with the name " &
filename & " is already open"  (where filename is the actual name of the
file) when I try to open certain files in Excel 97, when I don't really have
a copy of the file in question opens.  This error comes up pretty
consistantly on one file that lives on a server, but I also get it when I
try to open some local files. Anyone have any idea what would cause this &
how to fix it?  Thanks in advance.

Best

Jim

0
houstjd (3)
7/14/2004 6:04:10 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Jim
have a look at: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

James Houston wrote:
> I'm getting an error message that says "A documents with the name " &
> filename & " is already open"  (where filename is the actual name of
> the file) when I try to open certain files in Excel 97, when I don't
> really have a copy of the file in question opens.  This error comes
> up pretty consistantly on one file that lives on a server, but I also
> get it when I try to open some local files. Anyone have any idea what
> would cause this & how to fix it?  Thanks in advance.
>
> Best
>
> Jim

0
frank.kabel (11126)

"a document with the name" error on opening file
I'm getting an error message that says "A documents with the name " & filename & " is already open" (where filename is the actual name of the file) when I try to open certain files in Excel 97, when I don't really have a copy of the file in question opens. This error comes up pretty consistantly on one file that lives on a server, but I also get it when I try to open some local files. Anyone have any idea what would cause this & how to fix it? Thanks in advance. Best Jim Hi Jim have a look at: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen ...

Excel 97 message, "A document with the name '-----.xls' is already open. . . ."
I've just installed Excel 97 on a new computer. It works fine when I start Excel first and then open a file. But when I double-click on the file to start Excel, it opens the file all right but then warns me that that file's already open and I "cannot open two documents with the same name." It does this every time, though there isn't really another file open. It doesn't prevent me from working with the file, it's just annoying. How do I get rid of this false warning? Neil Try the usual fix(es) for this problem. Tools>Options>General uncheck &quo...

A document with the name "xx" is already open......
Opening excel documents directly from the My Documents folder with the program not open we get the following error message: "A document with the name "xxx.xls" is already open. You cannot open ttwo documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different folders. To open the second document, either close the document that's currently open or rename one of the documents" No other documents are open. When we close the error message everything is fine. When we first open Excel and then open from there, we do not get this error message. How can we...

A document with the name "abs.xls" is already open.
I need assistance. Everyone workbook I open in Excel 2000 keeps giving me the message "A document with the '___.xls' is already open. You cannot have two workbooks with the same name open even if they are in different files. etc" The name of the document in the message is always the workbook I have just opened. I've tried shutting down and rebooting, and that did not work. This started to happen after I copied a workbook off my company network to my C: drive. Can anyone help? I can't seem to get rid of this message. Maybe this from from Debra Dalgleis...

A document with the name "*.xls " is already open ...etc
When opening XL I get the following message ............ "A document with the name "*.xls " is already open " ...etc I've learned to ignore the message and it doesn't seem to affect anything BUT does anyone know why I get this message. I like to solve problems not ignore them .............. Merci Gary First try the standard fix(es)......Tools>Options>General uncheck "ignore other applications" OR Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the / mark). You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe.....

"A document with the name is already open." error message
This happens to a user I have every time he opens an Excel spreadsheet on the network. The file is not opened by anyone else. How do I stop these error messges? Thanks for any help on this! Make sure he is closing files correctly "Jim Lyons" <jplyons@ptd.net> wrote in message news:13ed01c3461f$1e229820$a101280a@phx.gbl... > This happens to a user I have every time he opens an Excel > spreadsheet on the network. The file is not opened by > anyone else. > > How do I stop these error messges? > > Thanks for any help on this! ...

Gord D. Re "A document with the name *.xls already open
"/unregserver followed by /regserver" instruction worked ! Thank you very much Gary Thanks Gary Will start posting that along with the other tips. Gord On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:22:34 GMT, "Gary Coles" <gacoles@telus.net> wrote: >"/unregserver followed by /regserver" >instruction worked ! > >Thank you very much > >Gary > ...

Gord D. "A document with the name "*.xls " is already open " ...etc
I posted this question originally on Nov 20th and received a reply from Gord Dibben ( Thanks) The Tools option " ignore other applications" is not checked and regserver doesn't seem to do anything I should have specified I'm using Office '97 Pro in WinXP ( Full install) The problem surfaced while I was using my previous OS Win98SE When opening XL I get the following message ............ "A document with the name "*.xls " is already open " ...etc I've learned to ignore the message and it doesn't seem to affect anything BUT does anyone k...