Why does forumula show in cell instead of formula result?

Sometimes when I enter a formula into an Excel cell, the formula itself is
displayed in the cell instead of the formula result.  However, when I open
Formula Wizard, the Wizard shows the correct formula result that should be
displayed in the cell.  Why does this happen and how do I get it to stop
happening?

It sounds like the cell is formatted as TEXT.

Change the cell format to General. Then, with the cell still selected hit
function key F2 then hit Enter.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ashley" <Ashley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes when I enter a formula into an Excel cell, the formula itself is
> displayed in the cell instead of the formula result.  However, when I open
> Formula Wizard, the Wizard shows the correct formula result that should be
> displayed in the cell.  Why does this happen and how do I get it to stop
> happening?

Or you could be looking at formulas

In xl2003 menus:
tools|options|view tab|uncheck formulas

(It's under the Office Button|Excel options (somewhere) in xl2007.)

Or you can use:
ctrl-`  (ctrl-backquote (the key to the left of the 1/! on my USA keyboard) to
toggle this setting in any version of excel.

On 05/17/2010 15:16, Ashley wrote:
> Sometimes when I enter a formula into an Excel cell, the formula itself is
> displayed in the cell instead of the formula result.  However, when I open
> Formula Wizard, the Wizard shows the correct formula result that should be
> displayed in the cell.  Why does this happen and how do I get it to stop
> happening?
0
Dave

How to see calculation and heading in same cell.
I would like the cell to perform a calculation and then display the answer as will as a heading. In other words the answer and the heading will appear in the same cell. Perhaps you mean something like ="Heading Name: "&A1+B1 ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Jeracho" <Jeracho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F34BACB9-E2DA-448A-924D-46A475F98F91@microsoft.com... > I would like the cell to perform a calculation and then display the answer as > will as a heading. In other words the answer and the heading will appear in...

Invalid References in formula
Hi, I got this error message when i close my workbook: "A formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references. Verify that your formulas contain a valid path, workbook, range name and cell reference." The funny thing is that this error message pop out only when i save and close the workbook on certain worksheets. E.g. I have worksheet a, b, c and d. When i am either on sheet a and d, i saved the file and close the book at that sheet, the error message did not pop out. However when I performed similar actions on either of the other 2 sheets, the error m...

show header
this is such an obvious one but I can't find it -- how do you get the headers to show while you're viewing the page on the screen? Print preview works fine, but I need to have the headers show up when looking at it as a spreadsheet. Looked for "Print View" equivalent, but can't find it. You can't display the header or footer unless you use print preview. Excel doesn't have a Print View mode like Word does. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "jchoy" <anonymous@discussions.micro...

my case it online , it Show offline
When I open Messenger and put my case it online , it Show offline to my friends .. not online .. What to do! -- free9 http://webim.live.my/ What I did was sign in on that website as well as the regular windows live (if you have the newest windows live you can sign on in two places). So everyone could see me as online again, and I could use windows live as I normally do with the web messenger running in the background. I hope we get a solution soon. free9 wrote: my case it online , it Show offline 22-Mar-10 When I open Messenger and put my case it online , i...

Formula #71
Hi all, I am using the following formula in a Excel 2003. =IF((F12="Maternity leave"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Jury Service"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Paternity Leave"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Family Leave"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Special Leave"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Unauthorised Absence"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Compassionate Leave"),C12/5*G12,IF((F12="Annual leave"),C12/5*G12)))))))) I'm trying to state that if F12 is one of the values listed then display the result of the calculation C12/5*G12. This is working. Where would I add s...

Coping part of a cell content into a seperate cell
Hi I have two cells, one containing first and middle name and another one with surname. I want to combine the first name and surname into a separate cell, can you advise how I can just copy the first name and miss out the middle name please?? Thanks Caz Hi, I assume that the midle name is separated by a space from the first name and is in column A and the last name in column B =TRIM(LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",a2)-1))&" "&B2 "Caz H" wrote: > Hi > I have two cells, one containing first and middle name and another one with &g...

Quotation mark key produces << instead of " in Word doc from PC
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am updating a document that was created in Word on a PC several years ago. When I viewed it all the ' had become =. I found out in the forum how to fix that. But more important, I do not seem to be able to type a quotation mark. When I hit Shift &quot;, I get a symbol that looks like a doubled >. The symbol doesn't even exist on my keyboard. I suspect that I can go to Insert, Symbols, and get the proper &quot;, but this is a syllabus for a class that I teach year after year, updating t...

Adding a formula to the same cell (H5) on every tab
I have an inventory spreadsheet with 125 tabs. The tabs are numbered 1 through 125. The are identical except for the data below the column headings. If I wanted to put a formula in H5 on every tab, can it be done other than manually opening every tab and typing it? One additional question: If I add a Summary Tab, how could I show the value of a specific cell on each tab without manually entering it? I show the formula I'm using bring B3 to the summary for every tab: A B 1 Unit Value 2 1 ='1'!B3 3 2 ='2'!B3 4 3 ='3'!B3 5 4 ='4'!B3 6 5 ='5'!B3 7...

sumproduct--counting--zero--blank cells
I'm using these formula to count, =SUMPRODUCT(($W$9:$W$272>=0)*($W$9:$W$272<10)) =SUMPRODUCT(($W$9:$W$272>=10)*($W$9:$W$272<20)) ........etc how do i get it so bank cells are excluded from the count. The way it is now, they are counted in the 0 to 10 range... Thanks Jeremy -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com COUNTBLANK(range) "jeremy via OfficeKB.com" wrote: > I'm using these formula to count, > > =SUMPRODUCT(($W$9:$W$272>=0)*($W$9:$W$272<10)) > =SUMPRODUCT(($W$9:$W$272>=10)*($W$9:$W$272<20)) > ........etc > how do...

References omit formatting and return cell address
In two cases of references between worksheets, the formatting from the original cell does not appear in the cell that it is referenced to. Case 1: Worksheet 1, A1 contains a currency formatted number - $2,000 Worksheet 2, A1 references the Workhseet 1, A1 cell using the = sign, yet it returns 2000 (unless I manually reformat the Workksheet 2 cell to Currency Case 2: Worksheet 3, A1 contains an apartment # - e.g. 4 Worksheet 4, A1 references this cell but returns the cell address - Worksheet2,!A1' - rather than the number 4. I tried different formats for the number 4,...

How can I insert a cell reference in a footer (eg for variable foo
Any ideas on how to do this? I'm trying to create a template with the doc reference number in the footer However, I'm trying to avoid users having to edit the footer (because this just wont get done). Hi only possible with VBA using an event procedure. e.g. put the following code in your workbook module for cell A1 Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim wkSht As Worksheet For Each wkSht In Me.Worksheets With wkSht.PageSetup .CenterFooter = wksht.range("A1").value End With Next wkSht End Sub -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Ger...

Need help with a formula 01-23-10
I am looking for a formula that will compute an average of a number of non contiguous cells such as G8, G16, G24, G36, etc. Each of these cells has a formula which computes an average of a range of cells. With the helpm of this forum, I have been able to find a formula which does that AND uses values only when they are greater than zero and does not display #DIV/0!. But I cannot fin a fromula that will do the next step- Take an average of those specific cells AND use only the ones where the cell is >0, Example G8=100, G16=85, G24 is blank, G36=75, then this formula would ca...

How do I chart the same data cell on a range of worksheets?
I have the same row of cells on numerous worksheets that I want to chart or consolidate onto another worksheet ? Keith - You need to create a consolidated data range: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Keith wrote: > I have the same row of cells on numerous worksheets that I want to chart or > consolidate onto another worksheet ? ...

How to keep the application even when show desktop is selected
Hi, I am developing an application which is a sort of reminder of your daily tasks. I want this application to remain on the top right corner of desktop even when "show desktop" is selected. However it gets minimised.........Any helps appreciated. Perhaps you want to consider "Active Channel Technology" and making your display part of the "Active Desktop"? In article <D580FA88-9C89-4D3F-AB9A-8374A9DE266B@microsoft.com>, Katiyar@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hi, > I am developing an application which is a sort of reminder of your dail...

Shading cells not working
When I try to shade cells they remain white, but if I go to print preview the color shows. Why won't the cells change color in normal view? If the fill colours aren't appearing, the high contrast setting may be turned on. There's information in the following MSKB article: OFF: Changes to Fill Color and Fill Pattern Are Not Displayed http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320531 Jenny wrote: > When I try to shade cells they remain white, but if I go > to print preview the color shows. Why won't the cells > change color in normal view? -- Debra Dalgleish...

Counting the number cells between two dates
Hi guys, Hope someone can help with this, I'm pretty sure it'll be quite a simple one. Column A:A contains a list dates, I want to use a formula to count the number of cells which contain a date between 01/01/05 - 31/01/05. Any ideas, Many thanks, Dave Try: =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A1000>=--"1/1/05")*(A1:A1000<=-- "1/31/05")) BTW - I'm using American date formats in mine. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Hi guys, > >Hope someone can help with this, I'm pretty sure it'll be quite a simple one. > >Column A:A con...

How can you get Column graphs to be next to each other instead of spaced apart?
Thanks You are welcome. :-) -- David Biddulph <simonlavender@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1926b4aa-693f-41fa-a986-1aca28eb78b7@j1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com... > Thanks Hi Simon, If you just want the columns closer together, select the series, > Format data series > options, and reduce the the Gap Width. Dave "simonlavender@gmail.com" wrote: > Thanks > ...

How do I limit the number of characters in a cell?
When try to limit the number of characters allowed in cell by going through the data/validation menu, it still allows more than the number of characters than I specified. I don't get it :( ...

Is it possible to measure/display the column width with a cell function?
Wednesday afternoon Is it possible to measure/display the column width with a cell function? I need to adjust some columns for a report. But I cannot find a way to display the current width in units that I can then place in a VBA macro. Would be very good to have the macro read the values entered in a set of columns and change the width accordingly. (This is very easy in Quattro pro.) J Have a look at ShowWidth at: http://www.sulprobil.com/html/get_cell.html HTH, Bernd -- Use non-volatile INDEX(P11:IV65536,1+w,1+y):INDEX(P11:IV65536,w+y,x+z) instead of volatile OFFSET(P11,w,x,y,z)...

Urgent Formula!
I would like to count the text in a column (COUNTIF (A:A,"Monday")) then for it to add a figure from another cell / column if it meets the text criteria (eg. Monday) from the column Thanks! Hi Peter not really sure of what you're after, but maybe =IF(COUNTIF(A:A,"Monday")>1,COUNTIF(A:A,"Monday")+B1,0) or =COUNTIF(A:A,"Monday")+IF(B1="Monday",10,0) Cheers JulieD "Peter Curtis" <PeterCurtis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:662DCE2C-6067-4580-A66F-5E922B4038EC@microsoft.com... >I would like to...

Copying formulas to other workbooks
I have a workbook title "Book1" which contains formulas on Sheet1. If I highlight all these formulas and paste them into Sheet1 of "Book2", then the formulas in Book2 will contain references to "Book1". How can I paste everything into "Book2" without all those references to "Book1" in the formulas??? thank u Hi Robert The way I see it you have three options. You can paste the values, though you would have already thought of that. If your two worksheets are identical you could paste it across and find the references in a...

Circumvent "Series formula is too long"
Hi, I have a weekly weekly data set that is the basis for a trend graph for one year. This works ok until about the 16th week, then I get "Series formula is too long". It seems the use of named range is the only way around this...? I have tried this, looked through previous posts and replies here, but this does not work for me. It seems only applicable to very simple data sets and graphs. The data set is as follows: There are two rows of headers (X) - the first is the week's number, the row below has the value of the week - for instance "Incoming&quo...

What formula do I use to add to a date column in Excel?
Help! We have a date in the format 01/01/2000 in column A1. We need to produce a date in column B1 that is five years on minus one day (i.e. 31/12/2005). Does anyone know of a way to do this? Many thanks! The date would be 31/12/2004, not 2005. =DATE(YEAR(A1)+5,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)-1) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Help! We have a date in the format 01/01/2000 in column A1. We need to >produce a date in column B1 that is five years on minus one day (i.e. >31/12/2005). Does anyone know of a way to do this? > >Many thanks! >. > Works per...

what happened to the insert = at the left of the formula bar?
I am new to Excel 2007 and miss the ability to click the = that used to be in the box at the left of the formula bar. It would put the beginning = in so that a formula could be entered directly by clicking on the first cell, entering an operator and clicking the second cell. That was very efficient. I suspect that it still exists, I just can't find it. Thanks for any help. That with XL2003; next to the Formula Bar is fx which when press inserts an = and opens the Insert Function dialog. The same in XL 2007. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/...

how do I stop excell graphing no data as a 'zero' result?
my line keeps bouncing back to zero instead of showing a gap Where there are zeros (or blanks) insert =NA() This will display as #N/A and will be ignored by the chart engine Not pretty on your report? Use conditional formatting to hide the N/a Formula is =ISNA(A1)... format to make cell font colour match cell background colour best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Patti" <Patti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E70E21B-26BA-4839-8510-DA4B8056FEA5@microsoft.com... > my line keeps bouncing back to ...