vlookup w/ multiple data in a single cell

Is it possible to have a cell contain two pieces of informaton (e.g., A1 ="Me,
You"), a vlookup statement to look for each pece of informaton in that cell
(e.g., first "Me", then "You") in another sheet, and display the match in B1?

Sheet 1
A1 = "Me, You"
B1 = (after vlookup) "Art, Joe"

Sheet 2
A1 = "Me" and B1 = "Art"
A2 = "You" and B2 = "Joe"

I tried all different kinds of =VLOOKUP with different functions, and I
can't figure t out, of course I assume its possble to even use VLOOKUP in
this way. Perhaps I need to use a macro?

Thanks!
0
art

How to generate a truly empty cell
"" generates a zero-length string, not a truly empty cell. This is causing problems elsewhere. I'd like to find an output for an IF statement that will give me a truly empty cell. The current formula is: =IF(COUNT(C24:C29)>0,SUM(C24:C29),"") Any ideas? If it involves a macro (as I think it might, having read other posts), please explain how to implement it. Thanks! <This is causing problems elsewhere> It shouldn't. Don't use ISBLANK(A1), use A1="" -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "paulkaye" <paulmjkaye@gm...

Mail Merge Excel Data with Publisher for 4 up postcards
Hi, I have been browsing and searching for help on this issue to no avail. What I am trying to do is mail merge a 2 sided 4 up postcard with my Excel 2003 data. On the front of Publisher 2003I have the Address Block which is no problem, however when I try to import the matching customer data to the back of the postcard it does not match up at all with the front. I have also 2 publisher files setup, 1 for the front of the postcard and 1 for the back. I know the Excel data has to be in this format for the mail merge to work correctly using this formula posted by Doug Robbins: =IF(MOD(A2,2)=1,A2...

How can I drop the year from mm/dd/yyyy data?
I have a large data set consisting of values from multiple years that I would like to analyze by time of year. ie: I want to look at the month/day for each value while ignoring the year. Specifically I want to end up with a graph showing time of year (in months) across the x-axis and showing all my data points as if they were from this one hypothetical year. Seems like it should be simple but I can't seem to crack it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Hi, Try Format > Cells > Custom: dd/mm -Mark >-----Original Message----- >I have a large data set consisting of valu...

How do I get a trendline for all data series, instead of just one.
I need to retrieve R squared values, and trendline information for all data series within a block of data. Excel is only letting me get trendline information on one data series, which is almost useless for me. Dave Darling - >I need to retrieve R squared values, and trendline information for all data >series within a block of data. Excel is only letting me get trendline >information on one data series, which is almost useless for me.< You can add a trendline and get R squared for each data series. If you need a trendline for the combination of several data series, you c...

In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/april/04) data converts.
In excel when inputting dates 10/4/04 (10/April/2004) excel converts this to 4/10/04 (4/October/2004) Where can I change the input characteristics. I have changed the date format to English (UK) and this works when I input the date in the American format mm/dd/yy but I want to input in the dd/mm/yy format I think I'd try chaning my windows regional settings. In win98, I'd get to it via: Windows start button|Settings|control Panel|regional settings applet Date Tab Change the short date format to dd/mm/yyyy (I like 4 digit dates--you don't have to use that part--but put it in d...

multiple personal folders #12
HI, I have multiple "Personal Folders" directories in my Outlook 2007. The reason is probably that I imported several old archive. Is there a way to fuse or merge these directories? Or perhaps move the contents to one and than delete the other empty one? Thanks You can copy and paste from one folder to another. You can then close any folder that isn't your default (unless you corrupted your profile by importing a PST file). -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Paul" <paa17@planiet.nl> wrote in message news:4968f5ea$0$30616$9a622dc7@news.kpnplanet.nl... >...

How to print a multiple page two sided small booklet, 4.5x5.5"
Publisher 03 has a folded card that uses standard 8.5x11" paper and after printing folds to a card size 4.5 x 5.5" What I need is to create a non folded "booklet" version which can have multiple pages (more than 8), printed on front and back. Essentially the same as the 8.5x5" program booklets (found in File/Page Setup/publication type:booklet) which print multiple pages now, but smaller and capable of printing front to back pages to either be folded into a booklet (one fold on center pages) or cut and bound into a booklet. I'm trying to build a small boo...

Auto insert worksheets for multiple page imports
I have an Access database that has a query run to create a separate page with different Vendor Account number and related billing account information for each. The vendor requires this in Excel format but a separate worksheet for each billing account. Ex. ABC company has 10 billing accounts with information. They want 10 different worksheets with the specific information on each. I know how to export to Excel but it won't create sep. worksheets for each page created. Can this be done? Here's my recommendation: Download the entire file from access to one excel file and sheet n...

Automatically inserting text into a cell
I have a formula in a cell that reads like this; =IF(A12="","",WORKDAY,(A12,5) In column M I am asking if a report is due Y/N. Can I add to the above formula to automatically insert "N/A" into N12 if there is a "N" in column M? One way: N12: =IF(M12="N","N/A",IF(A12="","",WORKDAY(A12, 5))) In article <39A51AAF-D44A-4356-B20A-71C8AA661338@microsoft.com>, Roy <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a formula in a cell that reads like this; > =IF(A12="","",W...

How can you set up a form that the cursor only moves to cells tha.
I have set up a form. Now I want my cusor to move through the worksheet only in certain cells. I want to be able to go from one cell that needs to be filled out to the next cell that needs to be filled out automatically. Example , move from cell a3 to c19 automatically. How can I do that? Hi! You can accomplish that by setting sheet protection. Select all the cells that you want to be able to navigate to then goto Format>Cells>Protection tab. Uncheck Locked. Now, goto Tools>Protection>Protect sheet. A list of options will appear. Uncheck Select locked cells and check...

How can I autofill dates having a blank cell between each day?
Hi Dee, Enter a date in cell A1 (eg 5/13/08), enter the next day's date in cell A3 (eg 5/14/08). Select cells A1 trough to A4 (ie select two dates and two blank cells). See the little dot at the bottom right of the selection rectangle? Click on that (the cursor will change to a cross when you are over the right spot) and drag it down as far as you want. Ed Ferrero www.edferrero.com ...

Count data or list
I am trying to count a data group and return the quanity of unique entries: It might look like this: The data would be in cols & rows 2 green widgets 25.5 inches long 3 green widgets 28.3 inches long 1 brown widgets 52.1 inches long 2 green widgets 25.5 inches long 1 brown widgets 52.1 inches long the result would be: 4 green widgets 25.5 inches long 3 green widgets 28.3 inches long 2 brown widgets 52.1 inches long Any simple straight forward way to do this??? Thanks, Spydor -- spydor ----------------------------------------------------...

Import Excel Data from another workbook or file
Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different workbooks? E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files into one. tamato43 wrote: || Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different || workbooks? || || E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" || 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. || || What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files || in...

Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode
Outlook 2003 - Pop3 Mode - Manage Multiple Domains in single box/PST. I have moved from an Exchange Server to a standalone Outlook 2003 system. On the exchange server I was able to manage multiple domains and the emails associated with them. I would like to do the same with just the Outlook client in Pop3 mode. I have multiple domain emails forwarding to a single Pop3 mailbox as my ISP. In order to setup the correct "Reply To" field in Outlook I can set up multiple accounts to send out on (by selecting from the drop-down Accounts list). However... The problem is with asso...

How do I link multiple excel documents?
I need to link three Excel Documents into a master document that will reflect the data inputted into the others. as of right now they are all one document but that allows only one person at a time to enter the data, we need to have multiple people entering the data. Let's try for the easy solution first... Are people entering data on different worksheets, which are then captured on a 'master' sheet via equations? If so, open the file (make a backup copy first!), click on one of the input sheet tabs and select Move or Copy, then move the sheet into a New Workbook. Save th...

Set Expire property of data cache
Dear Friends How to set Expire property of cache in Data Caching. I have taken one Cache["myData"] I only have to give its expire property, not any other property. I just want Cache should expire after 15 minute. Please help me. How to do it. Thanks in Advance "Deep" <vinodkus@gmail.com> wrote in message news:479a2486-2743-4dbf-bbe4-0f192a3222ba@j16g2000prn.googlegroups.com... > How to set Expire property of cache in Data Caching. > > I have taken one Cache["myData"] > > I only have to give its expire property, ...

Determine a cell's width and enter it in the cell
I have several workbooks with multiple sheets that I'd like to have the same various column widths on each sheet. I get it all set up and then one column will need to be wider. Now I have to go to a cell in each column, check column width, and enter it in each cell. I then have a sub that reads the value in a cell and sets the width to that value so that I can copy the row to each other sheet to resize them. Is there a way to automatically read a cell's width and enter that value in the cell? Thanks for any suggestions. As an alternative: you could "group" all the...

Convert Word Table -> Excel without merged cells?
Whenver I copy/paste tables from word to excel, I get merged cells in Excel whenever there are line breaks in the word table cells. How can I avoid this? TIA Steve Saved from a previous post: If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or linebreak characters, then excel will bring them over as separate cells. One way around it is to convert those paragraph marks & linebreaks to unique characters, then copy|paste and then convert them back to linefeeds. I like this technique (inside a copy of the word file): Select your table. Edit|replace|Special (show More if required)...

Deleting Parts of Cells
I have a list of information in a column. All the information has the format of having numbers and letters then a / and more data. I only want to look at the data to the left of the /. So, I would like the data to the right of the / deleted, including the /. For example, I need YYY9/5 to read YYY9. Any suggestions? You could bring it into Excel as a txt file open the txt file in excel Text Import Wizard will appear select >delimited check > other and type the "/" into the box finish you should have a separation where the / was. "GOL" wrote: >...

Transform a Cell from Formula to Number
Is there a way to turn a cell from a formula to the number the formula outputs? Copy it to the clipboard, then do Edit>PasteSpceial, click Values -- HTH Bob Phillips "Sloth" <Sloth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76DA206E-CFC3-4E63-9789-69735538E1A7@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to turn a cell from a formula to the number the formula outputs? Copy the cell. Edit/Paste Special/Values. In article <76DA206E-CFC3-4E63-9789-69735538E1A7@microsoft.com>, "Sloth" <Sloth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to...

Stagnant cell for counting filtered data
I want to keep one cell that houses the count of the data depending on how it is filtered and that cell remain visible despite how it is filtered. I can't get the formula =COUNT(C9,C1:C100) to work or get it to stay visible if I change the filter. Place the formula in row 1 that contains your titles...........assuming you have these. =SUBTOTAL(2,C2:C100) the 2, means count If you don't have titles in row 1, place the formula after a blank row below your data. Note: you use COUNT in your original. COUNT only counts numerics. Maybe you want COUNTA which would be =SUBTOT...

Multiple buttons to control data source on a report.
Hi, I have a single report I would like to use. The table is structured with several columns. Is there a way to have multiple buttons on a form, and configure each button to open the report using a different data source (different column). So button 1 would be a report using column 1, and button 2 is for a report for column 2, and so on. Thanks. On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:06:46 -0700, ghmag <esung911@aol.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have a single report I would like to use. The table is structured >with several columns. Is there a way to have multiple buttons on a >form, and co...

Vlookup

Can formulas in cells be made to remain if the data is deleted?
Can you explain in a bit more detail what your question/problem is? -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "wendyp" <wendyp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B7A92B0A-E752-4D58-90FF-3DE5F292D35C@microsoft.com... > Hi Wendy, See Insert a Row using a Macro to maintain formulas http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm To simply remove constants from a selection within a macro Selection. SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearContents To remove constants manually from a selection Edit, GoTo (Ctrl+G), Constans [you can pick what kind ...

multiple ranges on Vlookup
I currently have my Vlookup stmnt as this: =IF(E2="","",VLOOKUP(E2,'Code Descrip'!T$3:U$27,2,FALSE)) 'Code Decrip' is the name of the worksheet I need to add another range X$3:Y48 What is the proper syntax - I wasnt able to get it right after searching online for it. Thanks so much. Hi lpj Not quite clear what you want to achieve here? Why not have everything in the same range? Am I correct in guessing that, if you do not find a matching record in the primary range, you then want to do a lookup in the secondary range? If so, you will have to use an...