Using the Question Mark With COUNTIF

Excel 2007

I have a small table that shows me the status of each item on the list.  The
status can be "Y", "N", "NA", or "?".  I am using the COUNTIF function to
tell me how many of each status is on the list.  For items with a status of
"?", which denotes an unknown status, I simply take the total number of
items on the list and subtract the sum of the other status values to arrive
at a count of items with an unknown status.  This works fine.

However, I am curious as to whether or not the "?" can be used with COUNTIF.
I've tried the following:

    =COUNTIF(D11:D33,"=?")

Figuring that the question mark is a special character and that a special
syntax might be needed in order make Excel interpret it literally, I've
played around with different variations using single and double quotes, but
I've been unable to make the formula work.

Is it possible to use "?" with COUNTIF, and if so what is the correct
syntax?

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

--Tom

0
Thomas

The ? character is used as a wildcard to match any single character.
You can use this syntax:

=3DCOUNTIF(D11:D33,"~?")

to count the number of ? directly. The tilde symbol, ~, tells Excel to
treat the character that follows as a specific character rather than a
wildcard.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 21, 7:49=A0pm, "Thomas M." <NoEmailRepl...@Please.com> wrote:
> Excel 2007
>
> I have a small table that shows me the status of each item on the list. =
=A0The
> status can be "Y", "N", "NA", or "?". =A0I am using the COUNTIF function =
> tell me how many of each status is on the list. =A0For items with a statu=
s of
> "?", which denotes an unknown status, I simply take the total number of
> items on the list and subtract the sum of the other status values to arri=
ve
> at a count of items with an unknown status. =A0This works fine.
>
> However, I am curious as to whether or not the "?" can be used with COUNT=
IF.
> I've tried the following:
>
> =A0 =A0 =3DCOUNTIF(D11:D33,"=3D?")
>
> Figuring that the question mark is a special character and that a special
> syntax might be needed in order make Excel interpret it literally, I've
> played around with different variations using single and double quotes, b=
ut
> I've been unable to make the formula work.
>
> Is it possible to use "?" with COUNTIF, and if so what is the correct
> syntax?
>
> Thanks for any help that you can offer.
>
> --Tom

1
Pete_UK
1/21/2010 8:01:13 PM
>I am curious as to whether or not the "?"
>can be used with COUNTIF.

Yes it can.

Try it like this:

=COUNTIF(D11:D33,"~?")

The tilde is an "escape character". It tells Excel to look for the literal
character "?" and not to evaluate it as the wildcard character ?.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
> Excel 2007
>
> I have a small table that shows me the status of each item on the list.
> The status can be "Y", "N", "NA", or "?".  I am using the COUNTIF function
> to tell me how many of each status is on the list.  For items with a
> status of "?", which denotes an unknown status, I simply take the total
> number of items on the list and subtract the sum of the other status
> values to arrive at a count of items with an unknown status.  This works
> fine.
>
> However, I am curious as to whether or not the "?" can be used with
> COUNTIF. I've tried the following:
>
>    =COUNTIF(D11:D33,"=?")
>
> Figuring that the question mark is a special character and that a special
> syntax might be needed in order make Excel interpret it literally, I've
> played around with different variations using single and double quotes,
> but I've been unable to make the formula work.
>
> Is it possible to use "?" with COUNTIF, and if so what is the correct
> syntax?
>
> Thanks for any help that you can offer.
>
> --Tom

Thanks.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  I knew from previous
experience what the general issue was, but just couldn't come up with the
syntax to solve the problem.

--Tom

On Jan 21, 7:49 pm, "Thomas M." <NoEmailRepl...@Please.com> wrote:
> Excel 2007
>
> I have a small table that shows me the status of each item on the list.
> The
> status can be "Y", "N", "NA", or "?". I am using the COUNTIF function to
> tell me how many of each status is on the list. For items with a status of
> "?", which denotes an unknown status, I simply take the total number of
> items on the list and subtract the sum of the other status values to
> arrive
> at a count of items with an unknown status. This works fine.
>
> However, I am curious as to whether or not the "?" can be used with
> COUNTIF.
> I've tried the following:
>
> =COUNTIF(D11:D33,"=?")
>
> Figuring that the question mark is a special character and that a special
> syntax might be needed in order make Excel interpret it literally, I've
> played around with different variations using single and double quotes,
> but
> I've been unable to make the formula work.
>
> Is it possible to use "?" with COUNTIF, and if so what is the correct
> syntax?
>
> Thanks for any help that you can offer.
>
> --Tom

0
Thomas
1/21/2010 11:13:41 PM
Thanks for the information.  I knew it was something like that because way
back when I was basically an expert in early versions of Excel, I had dealt
with similar issues.  So I knew generally what the issue was, but couldn't
find the right syntax.  Thanks for the help.

--Tom

"T. Valko" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I am curious as to whether or not the "?"
>>can be used with COUNTIF.
>
> Yes it can.
>
> Try it like this:
>
> =COUNTIF(D11:D33,"~?")
>
> The tilde is an "escape character". It tells Excel to look for the literal
> character "?" and not to evaluate it as the wildcard character ?.
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>> Excel 2007
>>
>> I have a small table that shows me the status of each item on the list.
>> The status can be "Y", "N", "NA", or "?".  I am using the COUNTIF
>> function to tell me how many of each status is on the list.  For items
>> with a status of "?", which denotes an unknown status, I simply take the
>> total number of items on the list and subtract the sum of the other
>> status values to arrive at a count of items with an unknown status.  This
>> works fine.
>>
>> However, I am curious as to whether or not the "?" can be used with
>> COUNTIF. I've tried the following:
>>
>>    =COUNTIF(D11:D33,"=?")
>>
>> Figuring that the question mark is a special character and that a special
>> syntax might be needed in order make Excel interpret it literally, I've
>> played around with different variations using single and double quotes,
>> but I've been unable to make the formula work.
>>
>> Is it possible to use "?" with COUNTIF, and if so what is the correct
>> syntax?
>>
>> Thanks for any help that you can offer.
>>
>> --Tom

0
Thomas
1/21/2010 11:15:18 PM
The same technique applies when wanting to count the * (asterisk) character.
The * is also a wildcard.

=COUNTIF(range,"~*")

It can get kind of confusing!

If you had some weird data entries like ~*, then:

=COUNTIF(range,"~~~*")

That's 3 tildes asterisk.

--

> Thanks for the information.  I knew it was something like that because way
> back when I was basically an expert in early versions of Excel, I had
> dealt with similar issues.  So I knew generally what the issue was, but
> couldn't find the right syntax.  Thanks for the help.
>
> --Tom
>
> "T. Valko" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >I am curious as to whether or not the "?"
>>>can be used with COUNTIF.
>>
>> Yes it can.
>>
>> Try it like this:
>>
>> =COUNTIF(D11:D33,"~?")
>>
>> The tilde is an "escape character". It tells Excel to look for the
>> literal character "?" and not to evaluate it as the wildcard character ?.
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>>> Excel 2007
>>>
>>> I have a small table that shows me the status of each item on the list.
>>> The status can be "Y", "N", "NA", or "?".  I am using the COUNTIF
>>> function to tell me how many of each status is on the list.  For items
>>> with a status of "?", which denotes an unknown status, I simply take the
>>> total number of items on the list and subtract the sum of the other
>>> status values to arrive at a count of items with an unknown status.
>>> This works fine.
>>>
>>> However, I am curious as to whether or not the "?" can be used with
>>> COUNTIF. I've tried the following:
>>>
>>>    =COUNTIF(D11:D33,"=?")
>>>
>>> Figuring that the question mark is a special character and that a
>>> special syntax might be needed in order make Excel interpret it
>>> literally, I've played around with different variations using single and
>>> double quotes, but I've been unable to make the formula work.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use "?" with COUNTIF, and if so what is the correct
>>> syntax?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help that you can offer.
>>>
>>> --Tom

You're welcome, Tom - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Jan 21, 11:13=A0pm, "Thomas M." <NoEmailRepl...@Please.com> wrote:
> Thanks. =A0That's exactly what I was looking for. =A0I knew from previous
> experience what the general issue was, but just couldn't come up with the
> syntax to solve the problem.
>
> --Tom
>
> "Pete_UK" <pashu...@auditel.net> wrote in message

> The ? character is used as a wildcard to match any single character.
> You can use this syntax:
>
> =3DCOUNTIF(D11:D33,"~?")
>
> to count the number of ? directly. The tilde symbol, ~, tells Excel to
> treat the character that follows as a specific character rather than a
> wildcard.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Jan 21, 7:49 pm, "Thomas M." <NoEmailRepl...@Please.com> wrote:
>

> > Excel 2007
>
> > I have a small table that shows me the status of each item on the list.
> > The
> > status can be "Y", "N", "NA", or "?". I am using the COUNTIF function t=
> > tell me how many of each status is on the list. For items with a status=
 of
> > "?", which denotes an unknown status, I simply take the total number of
> > items on the list and subtract the sum of the other status values to
> > arrive
> > at a count of items with an unknown status. This works fine.
>
> > However, I am curious as to whether or not the "?" can be used with
> > COUNTIF.
> > I've tried the following:
>
> > =3DCOUNTIF(D11:D33,"=3D?")
>
> > Figuring that the question mark is a special character and that a speci=
al
> > syntax might be needed in order make Excel interpret it literally, I've
> > played around with different variations using single and double quotes,
> > but
> > I've been unable to make the formula work.
>
> > Is it possible to use "?" with COUNTIF, and if so what is the correct
> > syntax?
>
> > Thanks for any help that you can offer.
>
> > --Tom- Hide quoted text -

Pete_UK
1/22/2010 12:28:19 AM
> If you had some weird data entries like ~*, then:

> =COUNTIF(range,"~~~*")

> That's 3 tildes asterisk.

It will do with 2 tildes asterisk

"T. Valko" wrote:

> The same technique applies when wanting to count the * (asterisk) character.
> The * is also a wildcard.
>
> =COUNTIF(range,"~*")
>
> It can get kind of confusing!
>
> If you had some weird data entries like ~*, then:
>
> =COUNTIF(range,"~~~*")
>
> That's 3 tildes asterisk.
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the information.  I knew it was something like that because way
> > back when I was basically an expert in early versions of Excel, I had
> > dealt with similar issues.  So I knew generally what the issue was, but
> > couldn't find the right syntax.  Thanks for the help.
> >
> > --Tom
> >
> > "T. Valko" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Yes it can.
> >>
> >> Try it like this:
> >>
> >> =COUNTIF(D11:D33,"~?")
> >>
> >> The tilde is an "escape character". It tells Excel to look for the
> >> literal character "?" and not to evaluate it as the wildcard character ?.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Biff
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>

> >> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message

> .

>>If you had some weird data entries like ~*
>It will do with 2 tildes asterisk

Try it on this data:

A1: ~
A2: ~*
A3: ~~*
A4: *

=COUNTIF(range,"~~*") = 3

The 1st tilde tells it to evaluate the 2nd tilde as the literal tilde
character. The asterisk is being evaluated as a wildcard. So, it means:
count cells that contain a tilde character followed by anything or nothing.

=COUNTIF(range,"~~~*") = 1 (counting only A2 as it should)

The 1st tilde tells it to evaluate the 2nd tilde as the literal tilde
character and not an "escape character". The 3rd tilde tells it to evaluate
the asterisk as the literal asterisk character and not a wildcard.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Teethless mama" <Teethlessmama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> If you had some weird data entries like ~*, then:
>
>> =COUNTIF(range,"~~~*")
>
>> That's 3 tildes asterisk.
>
> It will do with 2 tildes asterisk
>

> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> The same technique applies when wanting to count the * (asterisk)
>> character.
>> The * is also a wildcard.
>>
>> =COUNTIF(range,"~*")
>>
>> It can get kind of confusing!
>>
>> If you had some weird data entries like ~*, then:
>>
>> =COUNTIF(range,"~~~*")
>>
>> That's 3 tildes asterisk.
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Thomas M." <NoEmailReplies@Please.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the information.  I knew it was something like that because
>> > way
>> > back when I was basically an expert in early versions of Excel, I had
>> > dealt with similar issues.  So I knew generally what the issue was, but
>> > couldn't find the right syntax.  Thanks for the help.
>> >
>> > --Tom
>> >
>> > "T. Valko" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> .

asap utilities question
I have Msft. Excel Vsn 2002 and latest vsn. of ASAP Utilities. I used ASAP Utilities to merge single rows of data together so that more than one row will fit on a single line of text. My question now, is, is it possible using ASAP Utilities to separate the data that has been merged back into single rows of data? All information welcomed! Aaron ...

Isinteg Warning Message Question

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

Using mouse wheel in VB editor

Use exchange from a trusted domain

Dotfuscator question
Hello Everybody !!! When i create programm using C# i must understand that my programm from exe - module can be converted to the source file by Reflector. In Order do not allow do this i must use dotfuscator, but i did not find any free normal dotfuscator. May be someone tell me what can i do cause now as think we have interesting paradox. We 've got free technology but if we want to protect our products we must buy expensive commercial dotfuscators. Alex Dmitriev You should post this message in a newsgroup which discusses managed code. This newsgroup does not have much managed traff...

question on the rules wizard
When clikcing on the Rules Wizard, Outlook locks up - consistently. Has anyone got a remedy for this? Thank you, rich rpage@concerto.com ...

OE questions
Ok, I have two questions: 1. With Thunderbird I can use this with a hotkey manager to compose a new message with Tbird "D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird \thunderbird.exe -compose" -- how can I do the same for Outlook Express and Outlook 2003? 2. When I go to load Outlook Express I get this error message, followed by the error message below it: http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x296/gwar_1/Untitled-3.png how can I fix this and use Outlook Express? Thanks! posted to the outlookexpress newsgroup via crosspost --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Re...

question about Time

How Use ShellExecute with a CMemFile

COUNTIF on Summary Fields
Can't use on a cell that "sums" with arithmetic operators "+". Is there a workaround, etc.? a bit more explanation? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "DLC" <dlcopesr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:117v954kaf4s2f6@corp.supernews.com... > Can't use on a cell that "sums" with arithmetic operators "+". Is there a > workaround, etc.? > > ...

Using INDIRECT within functions

HQ Licensing question V.2
I have a client running HQ client at 8 stores + HQ server at the warehouse. They would like to be able to use transfers from the warehouse to the stores, so I would have to setup a new PC running Store Ops and a new database, however, in order for the transfers to take place, I need a HQ Client License correct? Do I also need a POS key? I appreciate any insights you may have. Thanks in advance Hi Phil yes - you'll need an HQ Client license so it can exchange with your headquarters - "export" the wh database as you would any store from HQ no - you won't need a PO...

MS Project 2007 question
Hello, I am developing a simple schedule with no resources but 2 tasks out of 100 are hazardous and I would like to make the schedule so that when these tasks occur, no other tasks can occur. In other words, even though all tasks are moving around as the schedule is being developed, I would like to make sure no other tasks can be scheduled wherever these 2 hazardous tasks fall. These 2 tasks are serial to every other task in the schedule. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for your help. Mike Create two milestones. Use milestone 1 as the successor task to all tasks th...

How to use count for calls per hour

Combo Box initial values question
Does anyone know how to make a combo box show a value when a sheet opens? Mine are always blank when I open them until I select a value. thanks tp Hi Teepee, Try something like: Me.ComboBox1.ListIndex = 0 --- Regards, Norman "teepee" <teepee@noemail.com> wrote in message news:4645ed29$1@newsgate.x-privat.org... > Does anyone know how to make a combo box show a value when a sheet opens? > Mine are always blank when I open them until I select a value. > > thanks > > tp > > thanks for trying. says 'invalid use of me keyword.&...

Hopefully Simple VBA questions
Using VBA, I want to go row-by-row and get the values from certain cell in each row so I can run some tests on them, then put the result of th tests back in certain cells. This is how I am set up so far, can you help me with my questions i CAPS below?: Sub Example() Dim i As Long, c1 As Long, c2 As Long c1 = 0 c2 = 0 For i = 1 To 120 (HOW DO I MAKE THIS DYNAMIC TO INCLUDE NEW ROW AS THEY ARE ADDED?) If Cells(i, 2).Value Then 'start flag is true (HOW DO I MAK VBA GO TO A DIFFERENT WORKSHEET WITH THE Cells(I,2).Value STATEMENT? If Cells(i, 1).Value = "E" Then c1 = c1 + 1 E...

Anyone use Promys CRM software integrated with GP Dynamics?
Our company is considering using Promys as a CRM to create quotes and sales orders for the sales team. I am concerned about the integration with GP and what the pitfalls may be. Is anyone here currently using Promys with GP Dynamics? ...

Hi All, I'm creating a form that allows the user to pick a txt file (dialog) and then display the path and contents on the form. The code has been cobbled together as I found the pieces that worked, so bear with. I got the file picker working and displaying the file name on the form, but the file contents won't display. I had a feeling the problem had to do with importing a namespace (see the error in the code when I tried "Imports System.IO") or with a missing reference. Using Access 2003. References: VB for Apps, MS Access 11 Obj Lib, OLE Auto, MS V...

Can't use openURL or access internet on some locations
I have previously raised a question where openUrl threw an exception in a specific office location. However the problem I have now is that the application just freeze when I call openURL. It seems as it is waiting for something. This only happens at one company so far the company does have a proxy but so do I at work and I have no problems. I have also tried the Microsoft TEAR sample and it behaves the exact same way, it says "Opening internet...Connection made" and then it just stops. If I run it on my computer it gets the webpage and everything finishes ok. I have tried to set t...