two condition formula

I am trying to count column "a" when a condition is true and then count
column "j" when the number is a negative.

I have tried  =COUNTIF(B9:B23,"=COMP")+COUNTIF(J7:J22,""<0)
 but I do not get the answer it should be.  Column "b is words and column "J
is number that are negative so that why I choose <0.

Column B will have multiple names and column J is the difference in late days.

Hi Linda

Try the below

=SUMPRODUCT((B9:B23="COMP")*(J9:J23<0))

If you are using XL2007 try help on COUNTIFS()

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"linda" wrote:

> I am trying to count column "a" when a condition is true and then count
> column "j" when the number is a negative.
>
> I have tried  =COUNTIF(B9:B23,"=COMP")+COUNTIF(J7:J22,""<0)
>  but I do not get the answer it should be.  Column "b is words and column "J
> is number that are negative so that why I choose <0.
>
> Column B will have multiple names and column J is the difference in late days.

Help with conditional formatting with 2000
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to group data together into increments of 10% of th numbers and then chart them based on these groups. For example, I hav 300 data points that vary from 20 to 500 in value. I want them t appear in a chart based on the number of values that fall in the lowes 10% of numbers (ie. 20-40) then the next 10% (ie. 40-60) etc. up to th top 10% of numbers, but I do not want to manually determine what thes ranges are. I want to see a distribution of how many numbers fal within each 10% of values. I am not sure if this makes sense, please let me know...

a simple math formula
Hi, I'm new to this and have a very simple question. I have values, simple numbers representing weight in kg, that I wish to automatically convert to US pounds. The 'kg' numbers are in fields B5 - to B77 for example. I want the conversion result (simply multiplying each B cell entry by 2.2) placed in the ''cell adjacent. Thanks! Dave Horne Hi David In C5 enter =CONVERT(B5,"kg","lbm") and copy down through C6:C77 -- Regards Roger Govier "Dave Horne" <davehorne@home.nl> wrote in message news:upOf6pgUJHA.4916@TK2MSFTNGP06.p...

Array Formula #7
I have an array formula that works correct up to the 20th row. It quit running on row 20 or it does not pick up any information after row 20. Any help out ther -- pete576 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pete5761's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2961 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49427 Rather impossible to tell... What's the formula, and what cell(s) is it entered into? What type of data is in any referenced ranges? In article <pete5761.205n5a_1134773401.141...

Labels in Formulas requires manual refresh?
I use Labels in Formulas extensively. (Excel 2003 11.5612.5606) That is, I tick off Options/Calculations/"Accept Labels in Formulas" and then use whatever text string I've placed at the top of a column of data to refer to it. It has many benefits over Named Ranges, dynamic or otherwise for my purposes, but one ongoing annoyance. When I add data to the bottom of the column of data, the in-cell formula using the label for reference does not change when it should. Workaround: Select cell, F2 or double click to open it, Enter. I have a number of such formulae so updating can be ...

Scheduling formula question
I know both are the same equation. Which one is by definition ? "Duration = Work / Units" or "Work = Duration x Units". I have a three day task with a resource assigned (Max. Units 100%, Units:100%). All calendars are the default Standard base calendar; Hours per day is 9 hours. How do we build the equation to calculate 27 hours of work ? TBol -- To be technically correct, the Duration Equation formula is written as: Duration = Work/(Hours Per Day x Units) You find the Hours Per Day value on the Calendar page of the Options dialog, accessed by clic...

Need help on a formula 05-20-10

How do I import data from lotus123 & maintain formulas/worksheets
I am trying to convert several complex Lotus 123 workbooks with formulas into Excel 2003. How do I do this and maintain my formulas and the individual tabs (worksheets). hi, if the lotus file is a wks version or earlier, xl should open it and let you save it as an xl file. if the lotus file is a 123 version or higher, you can open the file in lotus and save it as an xl file. if you don't have lotus, find someone who does. "Ineluctable" wrote: > I am trying to convert several complex Lotus 123 workbooks with formulas into > Excel 2003. How do I do this and maintai...

Same Table cannot be the child table in two nexted relations...
I've been setting up a schema with the XML Designer in VS .NET 2003. The designer lets me set up a lot of things including a complex type that contains an unnamed complex type called modified. When I try to preview the dataset, I get an error described as "The same table (modified) cannot be the child table in two nested relations. I've run into this before with a different complex type, and I've changed the name of the instance of the type in the various elements it's used, and the problem goes away. In this case, problem is an unnamed complex type, so it only a...

Conditional Formatting on cells beginning with a hyphen
Is it possible to do conditional formatting on cells beginning with a hyphen? Thanks, Greg 1. Place the cursor in A1 cell and select the Range 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and paste the below formula =LEFT(A1,1)="-" 4. Click Format Button>Font>Color select your desired font & Background Color pattern and then give ok Change the cell reference of A1 to your desired cell, if required. But keep in mind that when applying the conditional formatting the Active cell should be in the ce...

Excel Formula Help
I am setting up a basic excel spreadsheet and really have got no experience with excel. I want to do something real basic like if A2=laptop display $10 or if A2=desktop display $20 how do I do this? I think that if the list of options is more than a just a few, a =vlookup() function would work nicely. It may seem a little complex to start, but once you use it, you'll find tons of more reasons to use it. Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions at: http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html BadSector wrote: > > I am setting up a basic excel spreadsheet and really have got no...

Formula to find last monday (tue, wedn, thu or friday) for a given month
Hi, I need a formula to calculate the date of the last monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday or friday of a given month. Can't seem to find the answer anywhere. example: day: wednesday (or corresponding nr) month: 3 year: 2004 Result: 31/03/04 Who can help? Thank you for reading and eventually answering my question.Back Visit http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.htm#DaysInMonth -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Michele" <mw001@pandora.be> wrote in message news:b30b6913.0402090708.556d0faa@posting.google.com... > Hi, > I need a...

EXTRACTING UNIQUE RECORD BASED ON CONDITION
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C781BF.08FB92F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello everyone! I would like to extract unique records based on a condition. For = example, how to extract unique record from column 'B' when column 'A' = has "AP" or any other desired condition. The data is as follows: A B =20 MI 70056542=20 MI 70056543=20 AP PATRICK CUDAHY INCORPORATED=20 AP PATRICK CUDAHY INCORPORATED=20 AP SUGAR CREEK ...

creating nested formulas from drop down box
Hi, I have cell A1 with a drop down box containing 26 available choices. B1 has the dollar amount matching to the choice in A1 using vlookup. E1 totals several cells including B1 together. I want F1 to look at A1 and either enter the number from E1 or NA. Here's billing example: A1=January , B1=$5 ,C1=$10, D1=$1, E1=$16 (total of b-d1) F1 is the column for January G1 is the column for February H1 is the column for March, etc If A1 = Jan, then F1 should be $16 If A1 = Feb, then F1 should be NA or $0 This is the formula that has been working so far: =IF((G2="...

passeord Protect for excel formula and VBA code
Hi, i have excel sheet its contain lot of formula and VBA(macro) code, its for used for user purpose, i need how to protect the formula and VBA at the time of user using. kindly let me know , kindly help me out i need user password : for user can upload the data in non restriction cell, admin password : can change any thing(change power) pls help me, Please ask on the Excel board. "deen" wrote: > Hi, > > i have excel sheet its contain lot of formula and VBA(macro) code, > > its for used for user purpose, > > i need how to protect the formula and ...

Tiebreaker in a Index formula?
I need a tiebreaker for a formula. Right now the formula reads: =INDEX(A$3:A$21,MATCH(D28,Y$3:Y$21,0)) which works real well But when there is a tie it shows on one store twice instead of listing the two separate stores. I have two stores have the exact scores and it list the store with the lower store number twice. For example I have store 598 and store 698 both with a score of 100% but in the ranking of the stores it shows store 598 twice instead of 598 then 698. Is it possible to have a tiebreaker, with the index formula, that can list the stores in descending order, 598 first...

locking / unlocking cell in formula
E F 1 Do you own a guitar validation cell (yes/no) 2 If yes is it a Gibson 3 Is it a 5 string 4 Is it electric 5 Do you own a piano 6 Is it electric 7 Does it have 88 keys 8 Do you own a TV 9 Is it color 10 Is it an LCD 11 Is it 25" 12 Is it 32" 13 Is it 42" 14 Do you own a radio I would like to lock cells F2:F4 if F1 contains the word "no" I would also like to lock cells F6:F7 if F5 contains the word "no" I would also like to lock ce...

plz help in to creat formula of excel
hello to all i want to discuss my problem with you related to MS excel. i want to know or find out formula of excel which can help me in such way.... i want to make grade point of my college students in such a way.. for example.... marks grade point average 50 1 53 1.3 60 2 68 2.8 70 3 76 3.6 80 4 84 4 89 4 90 4 98 4 100 4 this is example the student who get 50 marks the GPA will be 1 and who get 80 marks or above 80 the GPA should be 4 GPA should not less than 1 or grator than 4 please tell me the formula so that i can make this GPA thanks a lo -- khushe --------------------------...

Conditional formatting a date range
If I have a column of dates that are manual entered what is the formula to conditionally format them based on a date range of three months before the current date to the current date and another three months after the current date to the current date? Assume the dates are in column A, starting with A1. Highlight all the dates, with A1 as the active cell, and click on Format | Conditional Formatting. In the dialogue box you should select Formula Is rather than Cell Value Is and then enter this formula: =3DAND(A1>=3DTODAY()-91,A1<=3DTODAY()) Click on the Format button and choose the ...

display result of formula
How do I make a cell which contains a formula display the result of that calculation rather than the formula (it is formatted as "number" and I have tried "recalculating") Peter Peter Chadbund expressed precisely : > How do I make a cell which contains a formula display the result of that > calculation rather than the formula (it is formatted as "number" and I have > tried "recalculating") > Peter Change the cell format to 'General'. Redo the formula. Change the cell format to 'Number' and apply your display preferenc...

User Form Formula ?
Hi On a user form I have 2 Text Boxes in which to enter cash figures Excluding TAX - on the worksheet these 2 figures enter columns E & G - in column K I have the formula =IF(SUM(E3+G3)=0"", SUM(E3+G3)*17.5% - If I create a new Text Box on the user form could it generate the Tax as the formula above and then on clicking Add Iformation Button it would enter column K thus doing away with the formula in column K on the worksheet which is sometimes altered by mistake. Any help much appreciated Cheers ---- Mully Yes, you could add TextBox3.Text = Format(CStr((Val(Tex...

Excel 2003 Formula Error
Bit of a strange one this..... I have been sent a workbook which tracks staff absences, holidays etc. There is a fomula which calculates the total number of days off, holidays etc. by summing up a specific cell value from each month tab of the workbook. This works fine but if a user changes one of these cell values (from blank to 1 for example) but then decides to delete the number entered (leaving the cell blank again) the calculated "Sum" cell on the summary sheet then displays a "#Value" error. Try as I might I cannot replicate this error in Excel 2...

Formula Help Needed #2
I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer on this. Ok let me first give a little background info. I have a spreadsheet of my raw data (spreadsheet a) it has 4 categories, account#, client name, balance amount and a code (1-7). The code tells me what internal business category each account falls under. I have another spreadsheet (spreadsheet b) that takes the raw data of a. and puts it into a neat easy to read report. What I need is a formula that will look through the entirety of spreadsheet a and first, determine let’s say how many code 1’s there are ( I know this can be a...