text fragment comparison

i must count similar pathways, but to a limited extent:
eg: column:
>RIO>ASSU>Droit à partir de 2010
>RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010
>RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum
>RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum>Régime général
>RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum>Régime indépendant

The structure of the text is always the same; i always compare the cell
below to the direct cell above.
The 'cut of' lies on the 4th ">"
So: if the texte before the 4th ">" is the same: true (0)
if the texte before the 4th ">" is differente: false (1)
Objectif: to count the number of different publications, detected by pathway
indications.

in the example: row 2 is different from row 1 --> false = 1
row 3 is similar to row 2 --> true =0

Anybody who knows how to compare fragments of texte?

Thanks a lot,

ChrisM
-2

Hi,

You say the cutoff is the 4th > but rows1 & 2 don't have one so we can't use
that. Can we rely on 2010 (presumably the year) being there?

Mike

"ChrisM" wrote:

> i must count similar pathways, but to a limited extent:
> eg: column:
> >RIO>ASSU>Droit à partir de 2010
> >RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010
> >RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum
> >RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum>Régime général
> >RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum>Régime indépendant
>
> The structure of the text is always the same; i always compare the cell
> below to the direct cell above.
> The 'cut of' lies on the 4th ">"
> So: if the texte before the 4th ">" is the same: true (0)
> if the texte before the 4th ">" is differente: false (1)
> Objectif: to count the number of different publications, detected by pathway
> indications.
>
> in the example: row 2 is different from row 1 --> false = 1
> row 3 is similar to row 2 --> true =0
>
> Anybody who knows how to compare fragments of texte?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> ChrisM
-2
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:46:06 -0800, ChrisM <ChrisM@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>i must count similar pathways, but to a limited extent:
>eg: column:
>>RIO>ASSU>Droit � partir de 2010
>>RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010
>>RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum
>>RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum>R�gime g�n�ral
>>RIO>ASSU>Droit avant 2010>Montant minimum>R�gime ind�pendant
>
>The structure of the text is always the same; i always compare the cell
>below to the direct cell above.
>The 'cut of' lies on the 4th ">"
>So: if the texte before the 4th ">" is the same: true (0)
>if the texte before the 4th ">" is differente: false (1)
>Objectif: to count the number of different publications, detected by pathway
>indications.
>
>in the example: row 2 is different from row 1 --> false = 1
>row 3 is similar to row 2 --> true =0
>
>Anybody who knows how to compare fragments of texte?
>
>Thanks a lot,
>
>ChrisM

If your data starts in A1, try:

B2:

=1-(LEFT(A2,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A2&">>>>",">",CHAR(1),4))-1)=
LEFT(A1,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A1&">>>>",">",CHAR(1),4))-1))

and fill down as far as required.
--ron
2
Ron

why does some text disappear in Web publication from Publisher?
When I convert a Publisher document to Web then do a Web preview, some text is missing. ...

Dragging text from Notepad to a TextBox
I would like to drag a text from Notepad or any other program and drop it into a textbox. I have not yet been able to figure out how to do that. Can anybody help? "Boris Pauljev" <nordiccoder@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ei$P%236myKHA.5132@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I would like to drag a text from Notepad or any other program and drop it >into a textbox. I have not yet been able to figure out how to do that. Can >anybody help? This will not work in Notepad, but I am not sure later OS'es Notepad's support OLE drag drop(In XP it doesn't...

Formula to split Text from Numbers in cell
Hi everyone I have a column of data as follows Joe Bloggs 995.1 Fred 22.6 James Brian Jones 333.54 Ted Baker 3875.34 etc The name can be any number of words and the size of the number changes with each entry. Is there any way to split the text and numbers into two separate columns using a code? I tried using the search command with an isnumeric inside but to no avail...... I also thought of looking for a space from the right hand side but I don't know how to do it. Any suggestions? Thanks John Ortt =LEFT(A1,FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","~",LEN(...

Changing from Numeric to Text
Hi, I copy & paste a part number from notepad into a sheet, e.g 7000000002009 and appears as 7E+12.. 2 When I change the whole column to text, the 7E+12 remains and is not converted back to the full value, unless I actually click in the cell edit area at the top of the sheet (sorry don't know exactly what that is called!) How can I set these all to appear correctly? Thanks >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I copy & paste a part number from notepad into a sheet, e.g 7000000002009 >and appears as 7E+12.. 2 > >When I change the whole column to text, th...

Why is copy/paste not copying the correct text?
Microsoft Publisher 2003: Occasionally when I copy something from one document, something different appears in my publisher text box when I paste. It's usually something recently pasted. How do I fix this? ...

Long Text Entry
I have a long text entry for a cell and while it accepts it in the data entry area, it does not display all of it in the cell in the spreadsheet. Why is this? Hi the limit is 1024 characters. If you want to display more enter some manual linebreaks with aLT+ENTER -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jaspikes" <jaspikes@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:EA4832DD-1620-48EE-A8A8-BB1618939928@microsoft.com... > I have a long text entry for a cell and while it accepts it in the data entry > area, it does not display all of it in the cell in the...

Center label text vertically?
Is there any way to automatically center the text of each label in Word vertically as opposed to horizontally? I am using the general Label option, not mail merge. In most versions of Word, labels are vertically centered by default. If yours are not centering, make sure you don't have extraneous empty paragraphs. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "AKMMS" <AKMMS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF359D31-0EAB-416B-8691-FA141E317224@microsoft.com... > Is there any ...

Click a button and add info to where the cursor was on the last text box.
How do I find out where the cursor was last in a text box. For example I will use the | for the cursor in the following: Bob has purchase | from us last week. Now I want to have a list box with all our items in it so the user can click one of the items and it gets inserted right where the cursor was. So the text box should end up looking like: Bob has purchase shovels from us last week. Hi, something like this. Forget about trying to find where the cursor was last in the textbox. After the user has made their selection from the listbox set the value of the textbox. Me.txtbox = &...

XML , text, from xmlwriter.
Is there a simple way to get the text, xml, from an xmlwriter. I have a XML writer that writes to a file, and I want another function to return the text that the xml writer is produced. Any suggestions? MAF wrote: > Is there a simple way to get the text, xml, from an xmlwriter. > > I have a XML writer that writes to a file, and I want another function to > return the text that the xml writer is produced. Use an XmlWriter over a StringWriter e.g. StringWriter stringWriter = new StringWriter(); using (XmlWriter xmlWriter = XmlWriter.Create(stringWriter)) { xmlWrit...

Why do my text boxes disappear from my chart when I click out?
I have manually added text boxes in the chart to label my data points with words. When I click out of the chart, some of them appear on the worksheet behind the chart, and some stay in the chart. I can't figure out why some are there and some aren't. When I am in the chart, they all appear on the chart. I am in Microsoft Office 2000 using Excel and Word. Also, when I go to copy and paste the chart into word, the text doesn't go with it. Instead of inserting a text box, select the chart, and start typing. You'll see the text in the formula bar as you type. Press the...

White space around text in table cell
I want to fill cells in a table with color. Generally I can do this easily. However, I have a table that must have something defined that I can't detect. When I try to fill the cell with color, the cell only fills around the edges, leaving the center portion white. The part that is colored is not the cell borders. I can fix this by re-establishing the text as "normal" and then making it the font/size I want. However, I'm curious about how this anomaly happened so I don't accidentally create this problem again. Does anyone know why this happened? Your parag...

How to have text frame duplicate itself on every page of booklet?
How can I insert a text frame on the first page or pages of a booklet and have it automatically duplicate itself exactly throughout the publication when I insert a long text file? I am using Microsoft Publisher 2000 SR - 1 Not sure what you mean. Page setup, booklet, when Publisher queries about 4 pages, click no. Do your text box, click the insert menu, insert page, tick "Duplicate all objects on page..." If the text file is too long for one page, you will have to copy, paste and link your boxes. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ new...

Funny Characters in Rich Text / HTML Formatted Emails
We run Exchange 2003. One of our users has noticed that when he sends Rich Text or HTML formatted emails to his wife's Hotmail account, some funny characters seem to be interspersed within the body of the message. It seems that when a sentence is split by two spaces, a capital A with a hat on appears. Does anyone know if this is a problem with Exchange or Hotmail? I setup a test email that I know will highlight the issue and got my friends to send it to my Hotmail account from their corporate systems. Their emails display fine! ...

WRAP TEXT #3
I HAVE TRIED TO DO FORMAT, CELLS, ALIGNMENT & WRAP TEXT...IT DOES NOT WORK. I'M TRYING TO DO THIS IN A CELL THAT HAS BEEN MERGED WITH THREE OTHER CELLS TO THE RIGHT. I AM SETTING UP A WORKSHEET TO BE USED AS A LAW FIRM'S INVOICE AND NEED THE CELL WHERE THE NARRATIVE OF SERVICES GOES TO WRAP THE TEXT Lynn First, please turn off CAPS LOCK. Most find it hard to read and is considered "shouting". Second....... Merged cells will allow "wrap text" from Format>Cells>Alignment but.......... Excel has a problem auto-fitting merged cells. You can resize...

Duplicating Text To Another Spreadsheet
I created a form in Word, cut and pasted it into Excel on three different spreadsheets. How can I format the spreadsheet to copy text to the other two spreadsheets without having to enter text three different times? Please advise and thank you in advance Check out Excel help on "select multiple sheets" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:14:17 -0700, "The Inquirer" <sonymw@msn.com> wrote: >I created a form in Word, cut and pasted it into Excel on three different >spreadsheets. >How can I format the spreadsheet to copy text to the oth...

OWA appears in a TEXT almost an FTP looking.
G'day all, I have got Win2k3 plus Ex2k3 with SP1 installed. Email internally is fine but the OWA looks terrible, it appears in a text format rather than the funky looking OWA. I dont know what I am doing wrong , I really need some guidance here. I've tried almost all hotfixes, should i do the compression ? Regards eyetea On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:57:01 -0800, eyetea <eyetea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >G'day all, > >I have got Win2k3 plus Ex2k3 with SP1 installed. >Email internally is fine but the OWA looks terrible, it appears in a text >format rath...

Including citation in a text displays title

Random text #2
I have a list of manufacturers and part numbers. I would like to choose 5 random part numbers for each manufacturer. Is there a way to do this in excel? Hi one way: - in a helper column enter =RAND() and copy this down for all rows - now sort with this helper column - use the first 5 entries -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Juliejg1 wrote: > I have a list of manufacturers and part numbers. I would like to > choose 5 random part numbers for each manufacturer. Is there a way > to do this in excel? Hi, Frank: If he wants part numbers for just one manufacturer, he sho...

one more text box to a userform
XL2000 I am adding one more text box to a userform to put information in column "BT" ROW "2" in "sheet1" the below code works perfectly so I figured if I installed a new text box and named it "Textwrknmbr" then all I would have to do is add a few lines in the code. i tried and failed please guide me from here down works perfectly Private Sub cmdAdd_Click() Dim r As Long Dim ws As Worksheet Set ws = Worksheets("Parts") With ws If .AutoFilterMode Then If .FilterMode Then .ShowAllData End If End If End With If Applic...

MS Word Header/letterhead margins with Text?

Outlook 2002 unable to display text/plain INLINE attachments
Anyone else encountered this problem? Any fixes? I'm a email developer and we're firing different combos of MIME headers at a 2002 Outlook client to try and find a combo that it CAN handle. Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN Content-Disposition: INLINE on a multipart MIME message is still parsed as an "attachment" - and it bungles up an ATTxxxx attachment name for them as well. Outlook Express, Netscape, and other clients correctly display the attachments inline with the message body. direct responses appreciated - rcb at 3k dot com ...

Can't change View Text Size on some messages
On some messages (including some I send as a test to myself) when I view the message in a new window, changing the setting of Text Size under View doesn't do anything. Sometimes it is dimmed out so I can't choose to go from Medium to Large. Is it formatting that makes the difference? I send everything HTML format. I'm sure it's just one setting somewhere. It always is! -- Neil Sorry I meant to say that this was for Outlook 2003. "News Starstream" <ubetcha916@ssctv.net> wrote in message news:T92dnY-Ea_185kPZnZ2dnUVZ_oWdnZ2d@starstream.net... >...

Ignore Original Message Text in Reply or Forward ignored only when Word is Editor
I know people have run into this, but has anyone found a solution? I've got one machine that refuses to "Ignore original message text" when I use Word as the Editor. If I just go back, and uncheck use Word as the editor, it works fine (before you ask, reply ticks are not turned on :). On another machine, also with Office XP (but with Windows XP versus Win 2000), it works just fine. I hear reports that it works fine for some period of time and then starts up. Has anyone come across a fix? ...

I need to cut, strip out and rearrange a text string into 2 fields
How can I cut text fields in a query like the example below, -0.132861,51.591273,0 where the first part up to the first comma becomes one field, and the second part, excluding the last comma and trailing zero becomes two (new) seperate fields Lon: -0.132861 Lat: 51.591273 a sample list of typcial data that I have to change. coordinates -0.132861,51.591273,0 -0.116207,51.59672,0 -0.101489,51.599326,0 -0.112013,51.5948,0 -0.09749200000000001,51.593865,0 -0.09479799999999999,51.593184,0 -0.111989,51.603028,0 -0.120467,51.598811,0 Take a look at Access HELP on the Left(), Mid(), and InS...

text function question
Hi all, Hopefully my confuse is not so difficult to help. I have text arrays in column A2:A100 (much datas) which are filled with "n" and such as "loose end", "soft". I want in the column A1 is containing the text excludes "n". Due to of my poor function knowledge i tried to use CONCATENATE function but this is too long ..what should i use the proper formula. txs in advance 4 any helps One guess .. Assuming you want to extract text within A2:A100 that does not contain the letter "n", give this set up a try: Put in B2: =IF(A2=""...