Synchronize data across 2 sheets

Hi all

Excel 2007 Workbook with a sheet called 2010 around 700 rows/records and a
sheet called Previous around 5000 rows records.
Both have 31 columns and identical column headers

On the 2010 sheet there are records that have changed, how do I get the
changed records details onto and overwite the same record on the  Previous
sheet.

Not sure if it would help but each record has a unique reference number.

How do i do this ?

Hope this makes sense
thanks for any help offered

0
Dr

Hi
If you know which colums are to be changed I would use vlookup function.
Vlookup(lookup value, where, # of column,falsde)
example
A1 - unique code in your Sheet2
A:D-range of your data in Sheet1 (in column A there is unique code)
3-where data should be taken from
false-match exact
vlookup(A1,Sheet1!A:D,3,false)

After you update it, copy everything in Sheet2 and paste special values

Click yes if helped
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva

"Dr. Hackenbush" wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Excel 2007 Workbook with a sheet called 2010 around 700 rows/records and a
> sheet called Previous around 5000 rows records.
> Both have 31 columns and identical column headers
>
> On the 2010 sheet there are records that have changed, how do I get the
> changed records details onto and overwite the same record on the  Previous
> sheet.
>
> Not sure if it would help but each record has a unique reference number.
>
> How do i do this ?
>
> Hope this makes sense
> thanks for any help offered
>

> .

Thanks for replying Eva

Unfortunately i dont know which cells have changed data ,its different data
in different cells and columns. One thing that never changes is the unique
number each person has in column G
I was hoping that i could get Excel to look at all of the unique identifier
numbers in column G in sheet 1 and  then find the same identifier in column
G in sheet 2 and overwrite the whole row.
So if the unique number in sheet 1 is 1134 it will find the same number in
sheet 2 and overwrite the complete row.

"Eva" <Eva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> If you know which colums are to be changed I would use vlookup function.
> Vlookup(lookup value, where, # of column,falsde)
> example
> A1 - unique code in your Sheet2
> A:D-range of your data in Sheet1 (in column A there is unique code)
> 3-where data should be taken from
> false-match exact
> vlookup(A1,Sheet1!A:D,3,false)
>
> After you update it, copy everything in Sheet2 and paste special values
>
> Click yes if helped
> --
> Greatly appreciated
> Eva
>

> "Dr. Hackenbush" wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Excel 2007 Workbook with a sheet called 2010 around 700 rows/records and
>> sheet called Previous around 5000 rows records.
>> Both have 31 columns and identical column headers
>>
>> On the 2010 sheet there are records that have changed, how do I get the
>> changed records details onto and overwite the same record on the
>> Previous
>> sheet.
>>
>> Not sure if it would help but each record has a unique reference number.
>>
>> How do i do this ?
>>
>> Hope this makes sense
>> thanks for any help offered
>>

>> .

0
Dr

Problem with protecting sheet
I have a spreadsheet (a company timesheet) that i do not want peopl editing the code on. I only want them to be putting in the hours tha they have worked for the particular payperiod, it all works fine but have one problem. If the sheet is protected yet i have the columns unlocked where the can type, when they do a ctrl-x (cut) and then past it somewhere else it moves the black outlining on the cells, the problem with this i that when they try to re-color the cells it gets a protection erro where it wont allow them to put the outline back on the cells. Is their a way to make it so they can ...

parsing a date and time field #2

Twist Data?...
Hi all... I've got the following in a dataset: 19 30 1200 FI FI 20030906 36 19 30 1324 FI FI 20030906 36 and I want the following result: 19 30 1200, 1324 FI FI 20030906 26 Any guess on how to do this? thanks much!... Hmmm... Not quite clear: The data is arranged in columns, I assume It looks as if both items in the same column are the same, you want just one item, otherwise the one in the top row first, then the one from the bottom row. But what about the last 36s that should yield 26? Typo? Does the dataset have more columns or more rows or both? And how big is it?...

Money Central Portfolio #2

macro #2

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Statements #2

Transformation of data into columns

Data Validation List not showing

Macro

Excel sheet not visible
When I open a local copy all I can see is the content of 1 cell in the menu bar, the work area is all blank gray. I can see the complete sheet (3 Pages) in print preview. Most users have no problem with this sheet. I have repaired the installation of Office 2000 and ran all updates, Same problem. It is something on the local PC that is causing this effect. Other sheets show up just fine. This is a very simple spred sheet with no formulas. Maybe it's just off the screen. Window|Arrange|Tiled (and then resize it the way you want) New group user 944 wrote: > > When I open a l...

Naming charts on own sheet
Hi. I have a series of charts (which are all contained on their own sheets). I need to name each of the charts (as they will be used by someone else in a macro). I have tried clicking on them and also pressing shift before clicking on them, and I am not able to change the name in the name combo box. Can anyone advise me of how I can change the names. Thanks for your help. Hi, If you have chart sheets you can change the name by simply changing the sheet tab name. What you described is the method used on chartobjects, which are usually on a worksheet. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Mi...

Hiding sheet tab names
I created an automated workbook where I need to keep the sheet tab name hidden from the user. I went into Tools-Options-View and unchecke Sheet Tabs. Then I protected the workbook and the sheet yet the use can still go into Tools-Options-View and re-check the Sheet Tabs t view them again. How do I lock the user out of viewing the sheet tabs? :confused -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use the "very hidden" property that prevents users from viewing hidden worksheets without using VBA: Dim ws2 As Worksheet For Each ws2 In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets If w...

Sum amount if = 2 value's

Adding extra data options
Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. Can you add extra data fileds and types in CRM 3.0? You can add extra data fields to an entity. Go to entities customization at setting area. -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "xxdcmast" escribió: > Is there a way to customize CRM to allow for adding another heading? I would > like to add a second field similar to topic and would like to call it type. > > Can you add extra data ...

Excel pivot table #2

using vba so search multiple Sheets