Spreadsheet - Deleting Duplicate Records - Self Checking

I have read a number of duplicate record removal posts here. I have used the
Advanced Filter options. I know very little about the coded logical functions
in Excel.

In the protocol to set a unique list for reference in filtering if I have to
assign every single unique entry then I will be in essence deleting the
duplicates by hand as there are many of them.

The basic issue is this. The data records are entered for couples such that
there is:

Janet,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone1
Janet,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone2
Janet,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone3
John,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone1
John,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone2
John,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone3

I would like to filter to remove one of the name entries. In other words, I
do not want duplicates of the phone numbers.

If I had a fortran compiler or some such I could bang this out fast but ....
I haven't used that stuff in years.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Paul

For quick investigations, I'd use a pivot. In Layout, place all of the 6 col
headers into the ROW area (set Subtotals to none for all), drop one of the
col headers into DATA area (set to Count), click to Finish up the wizard. The
pivot's ROW area will display the list of "uniques", with the counts for each
appearing under "Total". Any joy? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"APV-onlyownerknowinganyIT" wrote:
> I have read a number of duplicate record removal posts here. I have used the
> Advanced Filter options. I know very little about the coded logical functions
> in Excel.
>
> In the protocol to set a unique list for reference in filtering if I have to
> assign every single unique entry then I will be in essence deleting the
> duplicates by hand as there are many of them.
>
> The basic issue is this. The data records are entered for couples such that
> there is:
>
> Janet,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone1
> Janet,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone2
> Janet,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone3
> John,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone1
> John,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone2
> John,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone3
>
> I would like to filter to remove one of the name entries. In other words, I
> do not want duplicates of the phone numbers.
>
> If I had a fortran compiler or some such I could bang this out fast but ....
> I haven't used that stuff in years.
>
> Any suggestions would be well appreciated.
>
> Paul

Purging duplicate messages
I am using both Outlook and OE. Using both I want to export my OE local files and import them into Outlook for a permanent record. But over time I have accumalated my duplicate messages in Outlook. Is there some way of purging all Dups in Outlook? Yhanks, Tom The best way to do remove duplicates would be to sort by a date. Reveived, sent, create, but most likely the modify date will do the trick. If you do not see the modify date in your view you can add it by modifying the Current View and adding modified to the list of fields in the Inbox. You may be able to sort by the mofied da...

Macro to keep 15 specific records and delete everything else.
Hi Gang, I work inventory control for a company in Texas and have to check stock levels for around 15 parts daily. The download for these parts contain an additional 1000 other rows of part numbers I dont need. I have used Excel macros in the past that delete rows based on specific criteria but how do I do the reverse? Essentially use an Excel macro that says "keep these 15 specific part numbers" but delete everything else that isnt them. I posted this question mistakenly in an Access forum so my aplogies if this looks like a double post. Your help is greatly appreciated. Sam...

Matching data in two spreadsheets
I have 2 spreadsheets. In spreadsheet A I have a column of e-mail addresses 500 names long. In spreadsheet B, I have these same e-mail addresses plus 800 more all randomly listed in a column. I want to sort the long B list such that the e-mails that match the short A list are noted or the non-matches are deleted or whatever is appropriate. I'm using Excel for the Mac v X One way .. Assume the data is in col A, A1 down in both sheets A and B And Sheet A is the "master" reference, so as to speak In sheet: B ------------ Put in B1: =IF(A1="","",IF(MA...

replying to email deletes original message
can anyone help with this problem. everytime I reply to an email that is sent to me, the original disappears from my computer. Outlook 2000 on WinMe Is it deleted or just hidden as you have a view applied, such as "Unread Messages?" --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Douglas Norton asked: | can anyone help with this problem. everytime I repl...

check class inherits from 2 interfaces
Hi Guys, I would be grateful if you could give me a hint. I am writing a plugin based program. i have 2 interfaces (abstract classes) IPlugin and IPluginMenu, all plugins inherit from IPlugin but plugins that need menu need to inherit from IPluginMenu and implement OnMenu which is pure virtual. Now in my SDK I have a function called SetPluginMenu and there as a parameter I want to pass a instance of class that inherits from IPluginMenu, but the problem is that I also need to make sure that caller also inherits from IPlugin, so that someone inheriting only from IPluginMenu won't b...

Add GL Distribution code to Check Stub in Payables Management
I have a customer that uses the Check Stub Top and Bottom for Payables Management and they would like to add the GL code for the transaction to the bottom stub only. We cannot seem to be able to link a table to the check stub top and bottom that has the GL code from the transactions. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. -- Tammy Chavez Mekorma MICR has this capability. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Tammy Chavez" wrote: > I have a customer that uses the Check Stub Top and Bottom for Payables > Management and they would like to add the GL code for the transaction to the > bo...

Excel version 2002
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002A_01C7D868.40B0B770 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Please, I need help. I am using a mainframe connectivity application (called Vista TN3270) to = pull data (realtime) from mainframe screens and paste that data into = Excel using copy function of TN3270 and the paste function from Excel. I copy the info from mainframe into the clipboard and then I created an = AutoOpen macro in Excel that opens, pastes the data from the clipboard, = saves the data, the...

Duplicate reference to .pst file Outlook 2003
I have Office 2003 including Outlook 2003 installed on a Win XP Pro machine. When Outlook opens two Personal Folders appear in the Mail window, one has the default icon, the second has the archive icon. I cannot delete either of these. In Properties|Advanced they both have the same exact path name to Outlook.pst. In the Calendar window under My Calendars appears Calendar and Calendar in Personal folders. In the Contacts window two sets of contact folders appear As Contacts and Contacts in Personal folders, etc. Likewise for the Tasks and Notes windows - duplicate icons appear. If I dele...

Avoid duplicating the sales order
We received via fax customer purchase orders. Many times, customers will re-fax. The faxes may go to different customer service personnel for entering into Great Plains. Many times we duplicate the sales order and product gets shipped out twice. We use customer purchase order numbers when processing a sales order. Can a pop-up screen with the message "this customer purchase order number already exist- do you want to continue"?. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this sugges...

Outlook 2003 rules, check messages after sending, not working
Since upgrading to Outlook 2003 (from 2000) we are experiencing problem when using rules and sending messages from other applications (a attachment) We have some rules defined that check messages after sending, dependin on certain words in the subject, the message is moved to another folder This works with no problems when sending messages via outlook but whe sending (as attachment) with word, for example, the message does no get moved. This worked with no problems in Outlook 2000. Also still occurs afte SP2 installation. :( Any advice would be appreciated -- rowland -------------------...

How Can I hide unused Rows in Spreadsheets
I have a financial forecasting system built in Excel which runs to 30 pages. It is designed for businesses and includes budget, cash flow and forecast balance sheets and is able to be updated monthly with actual results which then drive the projections for the rest of the year. So that it can be used by a wide range of businesses, it has a large number of rows on each sheet � for instance it has 16 rows for different sales types and has sufficient rows for over 110 overhead expenses. This is because the expenses are broken down into groups � eg Selling Expenses, Financial, Admin etc. The re...

invoices previously paid still showing on payables check stub
Hello: A client is using the payables check with two stubs on bottom per the TechKnowledge article number 864284. Although the checkbox in Payables Setup for Print Previously Paid Documents on Remittance is unchecked, the client says that previously paid documents are still showing on the check stub. We have, also, run reconcile and check links but to no effect. What should be done in order to get these previously paid invoices off of the check stub? Thanks! childofthe1980s I suspect that these invoices were paid by manual payments. Techknowledge 863798 "Manual payments sho...

Deleting Test Messages
Hi I am running Outlook 2002 on a Win XP box. I have 8 e-mail accounts, when I was setting them, as part of the e-mail set-up wizard I pressed the 'Test account settings' button. This works fine BUT for the accounts I only want to receive mail from because I don't have access to the SMTP server of those accounts a test message is sent. This of course fails. Every time I run Outlook now it tries to send these test messages, how do I delete them ?? as they do not show in the outbox folder. Many thanks, Jiddster jid@mi55.screaming.net You can also try to set the SMTP server of y...

inventory check helpers blessed
This is an example inventory sheet: A | B | C D 1 Code | Serial N. | Description | False/true 2 XYZ2 | 6835HF | MY RASOR | 3 XYW1 | 79632F | MY SOAP | 4 YSW2 | H8850 | MY UNDERW | 10 CHECK ITEM | * * WHICH FORMULA I HAVE TO USE IF I INPUT A VALUE ON CELL C10 (EXACTELY EQUAL TO ONE OF THOSE CONTAINED ON COLUMN B) AND HAVE AS RESULT THE CHANGE OF VALUE (I.E. F or T; 1 or 2) IN COLUMN D ONLY IN THE ROW IN WHICH THE VALUE IS CONTAINED ? ...

make a spreadsheet
Hi leslieguy More information please (in the body amd not in the subject) See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "leslieguy" <leslieguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0299B4A9-C389-48C3-B284-0BD13C73C5AC@microsoft.com... > ...

Can't delete Admin Group
I've just removed the last server from an Ex2k3 Administrative Group. There's nothing listed inside of it (i.e., no connectors, members, etc..), yet when i try to delete it i get this error message: "You may not delete this administrative group because it still has items in it." ID no: c1034af8 Exchange System Manager. It's been a couple of days since the server was removed, more than enough time for replication to complete. Anyone seen this before? Thanks. Fire up ADSIEdit and find out if there's anything in the AG. If permissions is an issue, you can use...

FW: Check out corrective update for Microsoft Windows
--sliujiore Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="zthgctxf"; type="multipart/alternative" --zthgctxf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="nsjtdzuhxfdunaqs" --nsjtdzuhxfdunaqs Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to continue keeping yo...

AutoFill with Reference incrementing BUT able to delete!
Good morning folks! I hope I have a simple one for you but I am stumped! On sheet #1 (called: Kub Kar List) I have my sponsors listed down Col "F" and their slogan in Col "H". On another sheet (SLOGAN) I would like to be able to list the sponsor slogan (='Kub Kar List'!$H3) also incrementing downwards. My problem is if I delete a sponsor from sheet#1 (highlight row and delete) I get a #REF error because that line was deleted and my calc on sheet#2 changes! I would like my reference NOT to change no matter whats done on the first sheet! What ...

Check value range, then return spesific number?
Hi. I want to implement a function in my spreadsheet, that gives me this: When I enter a number into a cell, another number shows in another cell, based upon the number first entered. A bit more spesific: The idea is to calculate the number of instructors needed for a week end seminar. 1 participant requires 1 instructor. Same for 2 participants, and 3. 4, 5 and 6 participants requires 2 instructors. 7, 8 and 9 participants requires 3 instructors. And so on. For every 3 participant, we apply 1 instructor. So, i.e. if I enter the number 5, i want the number 2 in the cell below. I trie...

Multiple companies / 1 report dictionary / 3 different check stubs
We currently use a modified "Direct Deposit Statement of Earnings" and Employee Checks Stub on Top and Bottom - L" reports to print paychecks/direct deposit statements. We need 3 versions of this modified report because we have three different companies and the checks require 3 different signatures. Other than the different signatures, the report layouts are identical. We use one reports dictionary for all three companies. How best to achieve this? Best regards, Caroline This is what I would try. You have one format for a check and you can export it out from tool...

FBI FORENSICS CAN FIND DELETED FILES xxxaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaa\a
You're in Serious Trouble - It's a Proven Fact! FBI FORENSICS CAN FIND DELETED FILES THERE ARE THINGS ON YOUR COMPUTER THAT YOU THOUGHT YOU DELETED. !!!!BUT THEY ARE STILL THERE!!! Click here for details on the EVIDENCE ELIMINATOR Clear your computer of incriminating files that you cannot delete. www.removefiles.com THIS IS A MUST READ!!!! www.removefiles.com ewfrgh32gh02439-eftrpewjtrrewgfs dg fd g fds g fds g fds g fds g fds gfds g fd g fdasdsadsadsad fds g fd g fdsg jbn...

Re: Print records from database
sorry, forgot to add my version of Publisher: 2003 Fritz "Fritz Anton" <fritz.anton@aon.at> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:... > Hi, > I am trying to set up a catalogue merge form in Publisher and I have > successfully formatted merge fields and established the data link to an > Access database. > Now comes the problem: I want to print DVD labels on a standard 2 labels per > page Avery form. I addition, I want to print each record twice per label > (rotated 180 deg). I can only set one record field area per page which I > fill with four text fields in the...

HELP: Email body deleted when I receive voting response
Hi All, I am sending emails in outlook through excel with voting buttons. But, whenever I vote using voting buttons in outlook, Email body gets deleted when the voting response email is sent. Is there any outlook property that I can use to keep the email body when the voting responses are sent? So for eg: If I have enabled voting buttons and asked to vote on something from person xyz, the person xyz votes "accept" or "reject" and the email body is deleted when I receive the vote response email. Is there a solution for this? I want the email body to stay w...

How can I re-size the entire spreadsheet?
I have a client who created a speredsheet and it is so large! The view is set to 10% and takes up the page. I want to import it into Word, but it takes up several pages. How can I make it smaller? Brian, Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work. The thing came in over 12 pages and I could not re-size it. Connie >-----Original Message----- >Copy the spreadsheet and do Edit/Paste special/Picture in Word. You can then resize. > > >Regards >BrianB >====================================================== > > >"Connie" <brodishc@bellsouth....

Check Book Formula
I'm a real green horn when it comes to excel, I've searched the data base and am pretty baffled by some of the questions...Wow....anyways, I feel kind of silly asking as this is probably very simple. I just don't know how i would go about setting up a check book style spreadsheet. The last three colums would be Income, Expense, Balance. I understand how to add or subtract, what I don't know is how to I tell the spreadsheet to SUBTRACT the expense to get the Balance or and ADD the income to get the balance in each row. Do I have to type a formula in each row to do ...