sheet protection with links

Dear all,

I have a sheet that has links to another file.  I would like to protect the
cells with the links so that the links cannot be deleted (i.e. the
formula/format of the link) and replaced by values, but would like to allow
the link to be changed to the corresponding file.

Is there any way to do this?

Thank you for your help!

Hi,
before protecting the sheet the cell has to be protected, on the cell where
the hiperlink is, right click on the mouse, cell format, protection, check
the locked box, then protect the sheet

"sthart" wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a sheet that has links to another file.  I would like to protect the
> cells with the links so that the links cannot be deleted (i.e. the
> formula/format of the link) and replaced by values, but would like to allow
> the link to be changed to the corresponding file.
>
> Is there any way to do this?
>
> Thank you for your help!

Linking Excel and Word Documents
For some reason, I can't figure out how to link a cell in a MS Word table to a corresponding field in MS Excel, and the cell in Word update automatically whenever I open that particular document, reflecting any changes in the Excel file prior to that. Is this even possible? How? -Sam Sam Elowitch Office v. X Hi Sam, You're on the right track. Yes, it is possible, but it involves some work. I think I should write a tutorial about this because a lot of questions about linking have been coming up in the newsgroups. There are several ways to accomplish your goal. I'll only descr...

Cannot acess web links from Office applications
I have Office 2003 with Windows XP. I recently started a new job and temporarily brought in my own computer while waiting for my employer to buy me a new one. The IT dept did something so that when I click on a link in Outlook, I get the message "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." This is absurd because I can copy and paste these URLs into a browser and it goes to those sites without complaint. Whatever they did also prevents links in Word from going to a bookmark in the same document. This is ...

deleting rows from one sheet based on 2nd sheet
I need help - please: I have 2 Excel sheets: 1 – Contains all contact details (aaprx 900 rows) 2- Contains email addresses which have bounced back over the past 3 months (approx 80 rows) Sheet 1 - first_name, last_name, email, company, job_title, street_no, etc, etc, etc., Sheet 2 – email_address How can I write a macro or function to delete the rows in sheet 1 that contain the bounced email addresses listed in sheet 2 All help appreciated. Here's a quick fix you could apply using formulas .. Source data is assumed in Sheet1, cols A to H (say), data from row2 down, with ema...

Highlighting hidden objects on a sheet?
Someone just sent me a workbook with some weirdness (lines that I can't select but aren't borders, etc) and I recall a posting from a long time ago about hidden objects like empty text fields where row heights (or hidden rows) and other things caused them to be so small that you didn't see them to select them, but they slowed the workbook down tremendously. I looked through the menus, but nothing triggered any memories- how do I select all objects (excluding graphs, if possible) on a page so I can delete them all at once? Thanks! Keith There's a useful, but well hidden, tool...

linking text between documents
can i create a document that will act as a master, from which i can copy text to other word documents, which then automatically update when I change the 'master'? Yes - investigate the use of the includetext field to insert a bookmarked section from the first document. You will however have to update the field after making changes to the source document. or Copy the segment you wish to source to the clipboard then use paste special > unformatted text, with the link option set. This will create a link field to the original document which will update in real time when...

"Link to other data source"
When I open my workbook, I get a message asking if I want to update the links to other data sources but I can't find any formulas that reference another workbook! I copied a sheet from another workbook into this workbook and thought I updated all formulas, but obviously I missed one and can't seem to find it. Any suggestions for quickly finding the formula that's causing this? what version of Excel are you using? If 2003, you can select Edit - Links to view all linked documents associated with the one you are viewing. You can select a linked document and click the &qu...

create space in line chart between points, linked to pivot table
I would like to insert a space between two data points in a chart that is linked to a pivot table. In Excel versions earlier thatn 2003 I could accomplish this by clicking the seris, clicking again the area of the line for removal. Then from the top menu select format, selected data point, line, none, okay. The line connecting the consecutive data points would be removed. In Excel 2003 following the same procedure the line is removed but then shifts to the next available dat point. The only way I have found to accomplish the desired affect is to break the link with the pivot table....

copy and paste data from different sheets
i have data on sheet 1 in range A1 to C100. I need a macro to copy all the data starting from the bottom (which in this case is at row 100) going up 73 rows. then paste it on sheet 2 starting at cell A1. Then another macro to select / copy the rest of data from row 72 up from sheet 1, and paste on sheet 2 at cell E1. Depending on my data, the macro needs to select at the very bottom row all the time because the data range can change from C100 as above to C200. No matter what, it would have to copy and paste the bottom 73 rows first. Help would be much appreciated. than...

Finding all the Formats used in an Excel Sheet
Hi, I want to find all the formats which have been used in excel sheet. Can you please provide some VBA/Code to retrieve the same? Regards, Brijesh Hi Brijesh.. This may not be a direct solution�.but still.. Create a short cut ke for this macro. You may go to each cell and press shortcut key t display the format..Expand � If� clause, for other formats also� Sub ContentChk() If Application.IsText(ActiveCell) = True Then MsgBox "Text" Else If ActiveCell = "" Then MsgBox "Blank cell� Else End If If ActiveCell.HasFormula Then MsgBox "formula"...

Cannot link from Excel to Word using named ranges
After installing SP3 for Office 2003, our users can no longer paste named ranges from Excel into a Word doc. The range is selected and named in Excel, then copied. I switch to a Word doc and choose Paste Special, then "paste link" as Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object. When I select OK, an error appears --"Word cannot obtain the data for the Excel.Sheet.8 link." If the range that I need copied in Excel is not named, then when cells are added or deleted the entire contents that should be linked in Word will not be correct. For instance, if the range A1:B7...

How can I protect cells only?
Hi, At work we have shared excel file and want to protect some cells (not the whole sheet) which contains formulas?upon clicking the cell, I want it to appear warning message. Regards, SRM actually all cells are protected by default. what you need to do is unprotect the cells you want everyone to have access to, then protect the sheet. SRM wrote: >Hi, >At work we have shared excel file and want to protect some cells (not the >whole sheet) which contains formulas?upon clicking the cell, I want it to >appear warning message. > >Regards, >SRM -- Mark Brindamour m...

Emailing document external link problem
Hi, I have a price list which links to an external document, it is fine for printing but I cant email it as the recipient obviously hasnt the document it links to. The linked document details several pricing structures so I need to keep this private. I have tried to copy and paste values but there are merged cells (I know and I will never do this again). Any ideas? Thanks, Rick Hi Try to send it in the body or as a htm file if you use Outlook You can try my add-in for this(version 3) http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/add-in.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Opt...

Extender window linked to multiple windows
Can you have the same extender window linked to different GL windows? Thanks. The basic Extender windows must be linked to a window and only have provisions for linking to one window at a time. If you copy the window so you have the same fields, the data is stored but with different source windows in the records. If you are on V10, install SP4. You can then create windows that stand alone and can be launched from menus or a hot key at any time. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish but this might be an approach. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008...

OWA and sending Links
When a user is using OWA and goes to a Web site , and Does File , Send To, Page or Link by email, IS there a way that it can use OWA to send or does it use the mail client installed on the PC (i.e. Outlook 2000, XP, Etc) Thanks for your time I know you can cahnge programs under Tools, Internet options, programs.. tab..But that is for the email client on the PC. I want it to go thriu OWA. Thanks for your help. alanman <alanman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When a user is using OWA and goes to a Web site , and Does File , > Send To, Page or Link by email, IS...

CRM link error..
Hi, Times to times, I receive the following error on my EXCHANGE 2K3/SP1 - WIN 2K3/SP1. Is there anyone who knows what happens. I have foubd nothing on Microsoft Support and KB. ---------------------------------------- Source: CrmExchangeQueueService Event ID: 5898 Category: none An HTTP status code of -1 was returned while attempting to deliver a message. Message subject: 'Pictures' URL: 'http://crm/MSCRMServices/CrmEmail.srf' ---------------------------------------- Error 5892 is also generated eveytime. Thans a lot "Exchange Serveur" <no_mail@no_serve...

Copy Excel Worksheet to new Workbook via VBA without Links to original Workbook
Hi, I spent the last 2days scouring the Internet looking for ways to accomplish this. I used some of what I found, but then modified it to work as I needed it to. You should be able to use this without much hassle. Just rename to your Workbook.Worksheets and make sure your changing only those values you need to. The way I did this doesn't remove any Formulas on the worksheet; Only Links. The Code: Dim oBook As Workbook Excel.Application.DisplayAlerts = False Application.ScreenUpdating = False Me.btnExportWorkSheet.TakeFocusOnClick = False ' Delete the O...

macro: jump to cell in next sheet
Hey, you guys are so helpful, so I'll try it once again: I am trying to have a button in a sheet of my workbook that runs macro that will then jump to a specified cell in the next sheet. However, the next sheet is hidden. Also, I want the sheet that contain the button to hide once the button is clicked. In the end, I want to end up with a workbook where users are taken fro sheet to sheet when they click on the buttons in the sheets, while the can only see the active sheet. The workbook itself is protected, and s are the sheets (some cells are unlocked). Thanks! a -- Message posted ...

Hyperlink field that does not link to the file
I have a hyperlink field called FileName in Access, to populate this field I imported from Excel the list of file names such as “\\MAIN-SERVER\DOWN-SERVER\Documents 001.doc," "... Documents 002.doc“ and many more after the import succeeded then I clicked the hyperlink field to open the file, but it won't open the file. As you know Excel 2007 does not support hyperlink type, so the cell type in Excel was Text. So I copied the file name from the Access field to a Word document, Ctrl-click does not open it. To make the link work in Word I put the cursor to the en...

Opening a PDF link...
Hello, 4th line of my email has a link to a pdf file. How can I start pdf on this link when the email arrives. -- Jeff B Paarsa Jeffery B Paarsa wrote: > Hello, > > 4th line of my email has a link to a pdf file. How can I start pdf on this > link when the email arrives. Click on the link. Of course, you'll have to install a program that handles PDF files. Outlook is not a PDF viewer. Hi, I know how to click and open a PDF etc... I want to do this as an automation via Alert and Rules of Outlook so I can run a program in background so I can sel...

Linked file in Publisher 2000
Hi is there a way to ensure that a linked file in a Publisher document is included within Pack and Go Thanks A ...

time sheet claculation
Thanks for piping in Biff. As a fella said above. I'm lazy. Across my spreadsheet. I have the typical In Out In Out Total. Down the right side I have the total for the days. I want it to total at the bottom of the last right collumn. Being lazy I would only like to enter the various times from the numeric keypad. The decimal being used as the colon. I can get the formula =(A2-B2) + (D2-C2). This will give me the correct results using 24 time. Across the sheet. But I'm at a lose for getting the proper total. TIA Frantic3D sum()? "Frantic3d" wrote: > Thanks for...

Linking tab names
Is there a way to name a tab by linking it to a cell on the worksheet? I have numerous worksheets whose tab name corresponds to the title i cell A2 - I would love it if I could do a formula which would make th tab names automatically be whatever is in A2. Any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com right click sheet tab>view code>insert this. Now, when a2 changes so will the tab name. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address <> "$A$2" Then Exit Sub ActiveSheet.Name = Target End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donal...

How do I stop e-mail address from turning into link in Excel?
In Excel, when you type an e-mail address into a cell, it turns into a link. How do I correct it so that when I enter the e-mail address, it doesn't turn blue and become a link? The only two methods I've discovered by experimentation are to put an apostrophe at the beginning of the address, or to type the address, hit enter, and then immediately click "undo" before typing the next e-mail address. Both these methods are cumbersome. Is there a way to highlight an entire column of e-mail addresses that have already been entered, and change them so that they are no lon...

Page numbers when printing multiple sheets
I am trying to get my whole workbook to print out as a single document. I select all 30 of the worksheets, and print. It works fantastically, except the page numbering. It usually prints on about 125 pages, Sheet1 prints on two pages, so the page numbering in the footer goes: Page 1 of 125, Page 2 of 125, then... Page 1 of 125 again ...etc. In other words, the &[Pages] field picks up the total printout, but the &[Page] field still relates to the individual pages. Each one starting on Page 1 of 125. Is there a way of getting it to print consecutive numbers from 1 to 125 through...

How to combine two excel sheets into one
How to combine two excel sheets into one using the value in the common column You can retrieve the value from specific columns and merge them onto another worksheet by using the =vlookup() command. =vlookup(a1,sheet2!$a$1:$x$9999,3,false) would use the value in A1 to look through sheet2 (A1:A9999). If it doesn't find a match, you'll get a #n/a back. but if it there is a match, you'll get the 3 column over (C) returned. Take a look at =vlookup() in excel's help for lots more info--or post back with a more specific question. (I'm sure you'll get a better answer.) ...