Prevent Cut and Paste

Hello,

I have designed a workbook containing many drop windows.

Other people use this book. It contains 31 sheets (one for each day of the
month).

The issue I am having is, lots of users cut and paste the information from
one row to the next or one page to the other when selecting the same
information.

When they do this, it screws up my formulas.

All parts of the page are locked except the drop windows that they are
cutting and pasting.

Can I allow them to select information from the drop windows but prevent
them from copy and pasting or cutting to another row or page?

Thank you

-Bd

What is a "page"?

I assume a drop window is a Data Validation dropdown list.

If all cells except for the dropdown cell on each worksheet are locked where
are the users pasting to?

Into a dropdown list on another sheet?

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:05:01 -0800, BadBoy
<BadBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have designed a workbook containing many drop windows.
>
>Other people use this book. It contains 31 sheets (one for each day of the
>month).
>
>The issue I am having is, lots of users cut and paste the information from
>one row to the next or one page to the other when selecting the same
>information.
>
>When they do this, it screws up my formulas.
>
>All parts of the page are locked except the drop windows that they are
>cutting and pasting.
>
>Can I allow them to select information from the drop windows but prevent
>them from copy and pasting or cutting to another row or page?
>
>Thank you
>
>-Bd

0
Gord
2/17/2010 9:32:10 PM
Good Morning Gord, Thank you for responding.

Page means sheet sorry and on each row there is 10 drop windows per row.

They complete all drop windows on one row and cut that row and paste over
another row.

When they do this, it muffs up the time drop windows calculations at the end
of the row.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> What is a "page"?
>
> I assume a drop window is a Data Validation dropdown list.
>
> If all cells except for the dropdown cell on each worksheet are locked where
> are the users pasting to?
>
> Into a dropdown list on another sheet?
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:05:01 -0800, BadBoy
> <BadBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have designed a workbook containing many drop windows.
> >
> >Other people use this book. It contains 31 sheets (one for each day of the
> >month).
> >
> >The issue I am having is, lots of users cut and paste the information from
> >one row to the next or one page to the other when selecting the same
> >information.
> >
> >When they do this, it screws up my formulas.
> >
> >All parts of the page are locked except the drop windows that they are
> >cutting and pasting.
> >
> >Can I allow them to select information from the drop windows but prevent
> >them from copy and pasting or cutting to another row or page?
> >
> >Thank you
> >
> >-Bd
>
> .

It goes like this;

Heading: | Start time Drop window: | End Time Drop Window: | Selection Drop
Window: | Selection Drop Window: | Selection Drop Window: | Selection Drop
Window: | Calculation of time total <- This is not a drop window and is a
locked cell.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> What is a "page"?
>
> I assume a drop window is a Data Validation dropdown list.
>
> If all cells except for the dropdown cell on each worksheet are locked where
> are the users pasting to?
>
> Into a dropdown list on another sheet?
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:05:01 -0800, BadBoy
> <BadBoy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have designed a workbook containing many drop windows.
> >
> >Other people use this book. It contains 31 sheets (one for each day of the
> >month).
> >
> >The issue I am having is, lots of users cut and paste the information from
> >one row to the next or one page to the other when selecting the same
> >information.
> >
> >When they do this, it screws up my formulas.
> >
> >All parts of the page are locked except the drop windows that they are
> >cutting and pasting.
> >
> >Can I allow them to select information from the drop windows but prevent
> >them from copy and pasting or cutting to another row or page?
> >
> >Thank you
> >
> >-Bd
>
> .

copy-paste information from different workbooks
Very new to VBA, so please excuse the "sloppy" code. I am trying to find a way of copying-pasting a specified range from several worksheets in one workbook to one worksheet in a different workbook. I have been able to do this by using specified names, but am looking to automate it a bit further so that the names of the worksheets and workbooks can be plugged in automatically (a "for" loop maybe?). This is the code I have so far: _______________________________ Sub copy_paste() 'activate "master" workbook Application.Workbooks("maste...

Pasting html table to Excel reformats certain values
Hi! When I paste an html table into Excel some cells are automatically formatted to a different datatype. My html table contains identifiers such as "6632/04" which I want to store as text. Excel assumes that data like this is some sort of date and displays "apr-32" instead when I paste the table. If I try to apply the text format to the column, Excel converts the values to some type of integer "1728420" which looks like it could be the integer value of the date. It isn't possible to get the original value back! How do I turn off Excels automatic formatting...

Cut & Paste
I'm trying to copy and paste a table of information from a web site into excel 2002. All is well except for the transaction numbers. The web site has a column for transaction numbers. this is an example of the trans number on website. 24610435075004026439747 This is what is pasted to Excel. 2.4610435075004E+22 and I lose significant digits. I've tried to format the cells in Excel before I paste and I've tried after the paste. I can expand the number but I only 0 after 24610435075004000000 ... I want to eventually get this into Access Excel is just a way to import data. Any ...

How to prevent Out-of-office to reply to spam?
Hi all! I'm looking to know how I can set priority in Exchange 2003 Server/Outlook 2003 with the "Out-of-office" rule and antispam processes/filters (IMF, GFI MailEssentials)? I wish to get the "Out of the Office" to work in last (to prevent replies to spam). Any idea will be greatly appreciated ! Thanxs, Vitalich On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 03:55:01 -0700, Vitalich <Vitalich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all! > >I'm looking to know how I can set priority in Exchange 2003 Server/Outlook >2003 with the "Out-of-office...

pasting ranges, but not with hidden columns or rows.
Hi Am wondering if there is a way of copying and pasting a worksheet, but without pasting the hidden cells or groups. Thanks Tim Select your range Edit|goto|special|visible cells only Edit|copy to the other worksheet edit|paste Tim wrote: > > Hi Am wondering if there is a way of copying and pasting a worksheet, but > without pasting the hidden cells or groups. > > Thanks Tim -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

need help with freeze up, blasts past chkdsk
Hi All, XP-Pro-Sp3 I have a customer whose compute will randomly freeze up on him after ~ 1-1/2 hour of operation, for no particular reason. And, usually when he is away from it. Here is what I have done to trouble shoot: 1) screen saver = none 2) power mode = always on 3) ran for five solid days without a problem on Fedora Live CD (Linux) without a freeze up. If you are unfamiliar with Fedora Live CD: a) it does not use the hard drive b) although is does use RAM, it masks off bad memory as a phony process. (Unlike Windows that just...

Copy cell contents, then paste into the same cell with other text.
Hi! I tried a search first and couldn't find anything like this. My spreadsheet has a column for shipping that takes a series like this for each product: ?0.0*0.13.2*d*0x0x0:07:24:04 Following the question mark is the handling charge (0.0 in this example). This is followed by an * and then the weight of the item (0.13.2 in this example which is 13.2 ounces) I have a list of product weights in a colum with just pounds and ounces. I need to copy that information, then paste it into the weight area of the string above and then paste those modified contents back into t...

Budget based off of past transactions
Hello All- I am using Money Plus Deluxe. Previous versions of Money let me setup a budget based off of transactions in previous months (for example, it would notice that I spent $300 dollars in gasoline, and recieved $X in salary, and would build a budget based off of that. In the current version, it seems that my only option is either the "60% Savings and Spending budget" or else the Essential Budget that just tracks income and expenses. Is there any way to have Money build a budget based off of past transactions? Thanks, -Sean See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=186. ...

Macro in Excel to copy paste data into multiple slides in powerpoint
Hi, I need to copy individual cell values (numbers) from Excel and paste them on different position on a specified position on a powerpoint slide. I need the macro to repeat the same for multiple slides by creating a slide identical to the first one and then replacing the data. Any help will be great! Thank you for your time, Sk ...

Paste link only
I have worksheet (destination) in which several cells are linked to a worksheet (source) in another workbook. My destination worksheet has not been updated with the latest values in the source sheet, so all the cells are filled with 0s, etc. Cell D2 in my destination worksheet is currently linked to V2 in the source worksheet. I'd like to make E2 be linked to V2. When I click on V2 (source), choose Copy, click on E2 (destination), and choose Paste Special > Paste Links, two problems occur: 1. The link is copied but it's copied as $V$2 (whereas all of the other links don't have...

Importing Leads and Preventing Duplicates
Grettings! I have a CSV file containing over 2000 leads that I would like to import into CRM 3.0. We currently have almost 5000 leads in CRM 3.0 already. Yes, we like to keep our sales team busy ;) I'd like to import the leads from the CSV file, however I want to avoid any duplication. A duplicate would be two (or more) leads with the same name and company. Also, I'd like to avoid the situations for a company where the CSV may contain lead named "Bob Smith" from "ACME Ltd.". CRM 3.0 may already have a lead named "Bob Smith" from "ACME Limi...

Remove spaces, carriage returns, from pasted text
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I used to have a nifty macro that I had assigned a keyboard shortcut for, that would remove all spaces from pasted text. I had another that removed all carriage returns. I have found the AppleScript for pasting unformatted text, but this still does not do the above. Anybody know of a compiled script to do these tasks (repetitively, over and over and over...) <br> Thanks, <br> Shawn P.S. How about an Applescript for removing all numbers (0-9) from pasted text? Just thought of that one too. <br&...

set security on the minus key to prevent staff reducing sales frau
need to be able to stop normal users from being able to reduce the contents in a sale without supervisiorintervention. Would like to be able to set the secuity on it or make sure only adms only allowed to do it , same as voids and refunds etc ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&quo...

Paste special #6
Is there a simple keyboard shortcut to execute Paste, Special, Value.=20 I frequently want to convert the entry in a single or series of cells = from a formula to a value. I currently use Edit, Copy followed by Edit, = Paste, Special, Value. I appreciate a macro could be created but I am = wondering if there is another way. ~~~~~~ TIA. Gerry ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ FCA Stourport, Worcs, England Enquire, plan and execute. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hi I use Paste Special Values a lot too! I have put a button on my toolbar that does it for me. To do this go to View / Toolbars / Customi...

Preventing rounding numbers to nearest dollar
When entering currency data into a form Access rounds the number up or down to the nearest dollar. The fields for the form and table are formatted for currency, 2 decimal places, field size is long integer. I am not using any queries. How do I prevent rounding numbers to nearest dollar? MS Access 2003 Thanks. Hi, Ron. > When entering currency data into a form Access rounds the number up or > down > to the nearest dollar. The fields for the form and table are formatted for > currency, 2 decimal places, field size is long integer. Since Long data types are "whole num...

Copying & Pasting Entire Page
Using 2003 I am losing some text and formatting whenever I try to copy & paste an entire page for a tri-fold brochure. The color scheme changes, which I expected, but the company name, address, city & state and email address changes from single spacing to either 1 1/2 or double spacing. In addition, some text below a heading doesn't seem to get copied and transferred from the old document to the new one. I can reformat the text fairly easily but am planning to use this method for a great many brochures as well as letters, flyers etc. and its easy to overlook something that is miss...

Cell Contents Cut Off in Print and Print Preview
We are using Excel 2002 version 10.6501.6626 on Windows 2000 and XP. We have a spreadsheet where the longest vertical cell in each row when printing (and using print preview) has the bottom cut off by the line separarating the cells on some PC's. The problem has nothing to do with operating system (we use both XP and 2000 and have seen the problem on both), print drivers or user settings. Spreadsheet prints or does not print correctly on a particular pc regardless of user logged in. Excel build is same on working and non-working pc's. I have seen two workarounds mentioned on f...

Preventing Spontaneous AutoPreviewing
I'm new to this list. I couldn't find anything directly responsive to this question in the KB, but if I missed something (like a FAQ :-), a pointer would be welcome. Q: Periodically, when marking an email item as unread, it displays in Auto-Preview mode, even though A-P mode isn't turned on. Once it happens, closing and restarting Outlook appears to be the only way to turn that view off. Happens in O2k and OXP, various service packs. Is there any way to prevent this behavior; i.e., to prevent Auto-Preview from happening spontaneously? Tx, --Chris Mackie ...

Outlook crashs after copy / paste
hello we have xp pro machines running outlook 2003 from an excgange 2000 server. when we try and copy plain text into a "new" HTML message, outlook crashes! if we copy plain text into a plian text message it works. i have looked around google groups and the internet, i have seen many people have the same sort of problems but with no solutions! can any one help???? hope so! Cheers andrew ...

How to write a simple copy-paste macro?
I've used 123 for over 20 years - simple, easy to learn and use, but my XP OS doesn't handle it well, so I'm trying to move to Excel. But in Excel I can't even write a simple macro such as: Copy from a cell, move down one space, Paste. It will do this once, but then not continue. If I run it from another cell - just restarts from the original cell. Without further comment, I learned this macro in 2 minutes on 123. I've been working with Excel for a week now, and I'd appreciate some help. To recap, I simply want to be able to choose a cell having data, run a C...

Active.Paste Error
What is an Active.Paste error in an Excel macro and how do I make it go away? I am working with two lists in a spreadsheet, side-by-side. My task is to move to cell A1, filter to the row I need in column A, copy the corresponding value from column B, release the filter, and move to the first open cell in the right-hand column where I must paste the copied data. It is a dull, repetetive process which I must repeat about 100 times. A workable macro for this sure would be nice. DOUG in Wichita KS I'm not sure what "Active.Paste" is, so I am unsure about any erro...

copy and paste problem
I have a table that looks like this in Word: header1 header2 row1 1-2 5-17 row2 1-1 9-20 When I try to paste the information into excel, excel converts the values to dates. I tried to format them as text, but then it displays the serialized value for that data. Is there any way to stop that? Derrick Format the target cells as text BEFORE you paste, and use Paste, Special, Text. "Derrick" <Derrick_no_spam@geostrategies.ca> wrote in message news:qlOnc.436700$Ig.76620@pd7tw2no... > I have a table that looks like this in Word:...

copy&paste from other program+loop
hi! I want to import data from specific cell in another program. THis cell changes value once every second. What I would like to do is to import this value every time it changes to a new cell in excel. The time when this new value is added shall be added to another column next to this value. Can I do a copy&paste macro from an external file? Can anybody give me something to start with? best regards Anders --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hmm... Mayby it's too hard. Does anybody know the name of a program that cap "copy what you do (ex. mouse click, copy a...

How to prevent Cut&Paste to change style and data validation on protected sheet
Hi I would like to prevent that pasting to unlocked cells on a protected sheet changes the data validation and style. Is this possible? Thanks, PC Did you try going to 'Tools' choose 'Options' then choose the 'Edit' tab? then unclick what you don't want anyone to be able to do on your spreadsheet. Hope this helps "Paulo Costa (Live)" wrote: > Hi > > I would like to prevent that pasting to unlocked cells on a protected sheet > changes the data validation and style. Is this possible? > > Thanks, > PC &g...