number times a value appears in a column beside it chronological

I am looking to count how many times a number appears in a column beside that
number as you go down that column.  Beside the first occurance of the number
10 the cell in the column beside it would have a 1, the next occurance of the
number 10 the cell in the column beside it would have a 2, and so on.  Thank
you in advance for your help.

Assuming the column of numbers begins in A1
In B1 enter =COUNTIF(A1:$A$1,A1)
Copy this down the column by double clicking B1's fill handle
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Papa Cricket" <Papa Cricket@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am looking to count how many times a number appears in a column beside
> that
> number as you go down that column.  Beside the first occurance of the
> number
> 10 the cell in the column beside it would have a 1, the next occurance of
> the
> number 10 the cell in the column beside it would have a 2, and so on.
> Thank
> you in advance for your help.

0
Bernard
1/7/2010 1:50:55 PM
Sounds like a COUNTIF function, where the top of the range is fixed and the
bottom of the range is the current row.  So if your data is in column A and
your count in column B, you could enter =countif(a$2:a2,a2) in cell b2, and
copy that down.

"Papa Cricket" wrote:

> I am looking to count how many times a number appears in a column beside that
> number as you go down that column.  Beside the first occurance of the number
> 10 the cell in the column beside it would have a 1, the next occurance of the
> number 10 the cell in the column beside it would have a 2, and so on.  Thank
> you in advance for your help.
Senior moment!
That should read  =COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Papa Cricket" <Papa Cricket@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am looking to count how many times a number appears in a column beside
> that
> number as you go down that column.  Beside the first occurance of the
> number
> 10 the cell in the column beside it would have a 1, the next occurance of
> the
> number 10 the cell in the column beside it would have a 2, and so on.
> Thank
> you in advance for your help.

0
Bernard

Calculate the number of seconds between two times
I need to calculate how many seconds are between two times, e.g. 8:08 AM start time and 8:44 AM stop time so I can use the result in a formula. The start and stop times are in neighboring columns. The formula would be result= number of counts / (Stop time-Start time) in seconds to give me a result in counts/second. On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:24:01 -0700, Budda Belly <Budda Belly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to calculate how many seconds are between two times, e.g. 8:08 AM >start time and 8:44 AM stop time so I can use the result in a formula. > >Th...

how do I make perferated tabs for "For Sale phone numbers"
I am wanting to make and informational sheet for people to be able to tear off a phone number from the bottom of the information sheet. I would call them perferated tabs? What version Publisher? File, new, Publications for print, Flyers, Announcements...(2002-03) They are called tear-offs. They are in the same place in Publisher 2000, only called Publications by Wizard. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "connie" <connie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0350E40-6A56-4BD1-BB89-8A12478357...

Administration Time
We are currently evaluating whether or not to move to an internal mail server, Exchange 2007. We currently have pop accounts hosted by Web.com and have had several service interruptions over the past few months. How much administration time should be allocated to support 75 users per week, month, year? Just something to figure in for the total cost of operations. On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:06:03 -0700, Elliott <Elliott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are currently evaluating whether or not to move to an internal mail >server, Exchange 2007. We currently have pop accounts h...

Delete Columns
In Excel, I need a macro that will delete a column based on a cell that will contain a name based on an input box. Thanks, Bernie See you OTHER post. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Bernie" <bml66@aol.com> wrote in message news:1172699736.687460.300590@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > In Excel, I need a macro that will delete a column based on a cell > that will contain a name based on an input box. > > Thanks, > Bernie > ...

How do I randomly shuffle the cells in a column?
In Excel 2003, I have a column, say a1-a10, with certain entries. I need to create another column, b1-b10, with the same entries assigned randomly (shuffled) to the cells. Just one way .. Put in B1: =INDEX(A:A,RANK(C1,$C$1:$C$10)) Put in C1: =RAND() Select B1:C1, copy down to C10 B1:B10 returns a random shuffle of what's in A1:A10 Press F9 to re-shuffle -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Jason D" <Jason D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36244977-7EE5-436B-8617-59C15310B080@microsoft.com... >...

consecutive numbering
I have created a form in Excel which I need to make 2000 copies of it, and they need to be consecutively numbered and then bound. Does anyone know how I set up a cell to consecutively print the next number on the following copy? hi ? Try this macro http://www.rondebruin.nl/print.htm#number -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl <msgevalia@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1128975560.360859.292080@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have created a form in Excel which I need to make 2000 copies of it, > and they need to be consecutively numbered and then bound. Doe...

invoice numbers
How can I get sequential numbers in an invoice template. Office 2007. Using several templates from microsoft. Is there any other templates out there? Dennis See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "D.J.Shaw JP" <djsbiz@westnet.com.au> wrote in message news:-f-dndbZ6oOgFRLXnZ2dnUVZ8mmdnZ2d@westnet.com.au... > How can I get sequential numbers in an invoice template. Office 2007. > Using several templates from microsoft. Is there any other templates out > there? > Dennis > Thank you fo...

get number of monday, tuesday,... between 2 dates
Hi, how can I get number of monday, tuesday,... between 2 dates? Thanks, Racsus (Racsus@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > Hi, how can I get number of monday, tuesday,... between 2 dates? DECLARE @offset int, @day varchar(10) SELECT @day = 'Tuesday' SELECT @offset = CASE @day WHEN 'Monday' THEN 1 WHEN 'Tuesday' THEN 2 WHEN 'Mittwoch' THEN 3 WHEN 'Thursday' THEN 4 WHEN 'Friday' THEN 5 ...

Run-Time Error 28
when I used item for sale on POS more than 100, after F12 and then input tender type I have Error #28 out of stack space (source:QSRules) Set Nocount on select item.itemtype, item.parentItem. Item.ParentQuantity, Item.Quantity.............. From Item Where ID=? -My CPU : 1.7 GHz, RAM 256 -My CPU : 2.0 GHz, RAM 512 Both have Error Plase everyone help me.... -_-'' -- TOY2TOY -- TOY2TOY ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the ...

add result column to pivot table
I have 2 columns in a pivot table - decription and amount. I need to calc a % of each value of the total. I don't know how to do that. Add another copy of the Amount field to the pivot table's data area. To display, the fields horizontally, drag the Data button, onto the cell that contains the word 'Total' -- there's a picture here: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot02.html Right-click on the heading for the second Amount column Choose Field Settings Click the Options button Type a Name for the field, e.g. Percent Choose to 'Show Data as' % of column Cli...

Time/Date stamp in Outlook 2003 msgs.
My friend with 2003 has reported another oddity to me which is that the time & date stamp on her messages seems not to have changed with daylight savings time (i.e. they are 1 hour behind). She says the system clock did automatically change. My question--does Outlook really have anything to do with the time/date stamp or is this just a function of the mail servers involved? TIA. -- ------------------------------------------- Stephen Porter Los Angeles, CA Check calendar options "Stephen Porter" <stp@pobox.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1ae37d24b618934c98969a@m...

HAVING / Where time count / excluding any instance
Greetings this almost New Year's Eve, I have a set of data with open and close dates (for one person). I want to calculate the duration the person was open. But I can't do [close] - [open] because some of the closures are errors--you can identify an error if the next open date is the next month. For example, 5/16/2000 closures is an error--because reopened 6/27/2000. So really, I want to subtract 1/1/2000 date from final closure of that period--which is 4/25/02 Open Close 2/15/1990 4/20/1992 8/1/1995 11/12/1995 1/1/2000 5/16/2000 6/27/2000 12/7/2001 1/4/2002 4/...

Excel file takes a long time to save
I have a 1,000 x 15 straight worksheet with no formulas - about 100K. I went to auto-format a pattern, but didn't select the area and if formatted the entire spreadsheet. It's since gone from 5 seconds to 60 seconds per save and I can't reverse this, even by changing the auto-format setting to "none." I'm backed-up, but the current version is about three hours ahead and it will take longer to retrace the work by hand. Any suggestions? Thanks, Ben Try resetting the last used cell. Debra Dalgleish has some techniques at: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Un...

How keep chart-datapoints displayed when column-width is set to zero
Hello there, my data basis for a chart has one column, that I don't want to be shown in the spreadsheet. However, when I set this column's width to zero, the correspondig data dissapear from the chart. How can I have both, a hidden column and its values shown in the chart at the same time ? Kind regards, H.G. Lamy H.G. - Select the chart, then select Options from the Tools menu, click on the Chart tab, and UNcheck the Plot Visible Cells Only checkbox. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ hglamy wrote: &...

increase column number limit?
Is there a way to increase the number of columns beyond ~260? Thanks /b No, sorry. Dan E "bill northlich" <billn@wildpackets.com> wrote in message news:eE3bpxpYDHA.212@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to increase the number of columns beyond ~260? Thanks > /b > 256 is the max. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference -----------...

How to change cell shading/fill based on value in another cell?
I have a sheet with two columns of experimental data. Let's say the data is in F10:F25 (column 1) & G10:G25 (column 2). There is a value in another cell (A1) that contains a 1 or a 2. If A1=1, I want to turn shading in column 1 agree and in column 2 off. If A1=2, I want to reverse that. If there a worksheet function that will do that? I was hoping for something like: =cellshading(range,color) I could then execute one of these two statements: If A1=1 then cellshading(F10:F25,"Green") cellshading(G10:G25,"None") Else cellshading(G10:G25,"Green&...

How to group all data from 1 column into several columns (Redo)
I have 2 columns in my spreadsheet, Company Names and Event. The Event column values are Event 1, Event 2, Event 3, Event 4 and the company names repeat for each of the events that they attended. So sometimes I might have a company listed 4 times with each Event corresponding to it in the next column. How can I consolidate all of the company names so that there is 1 row for each company and all events are on the same row but in different columns marked with an x (the column labels will be Company name, Event 1, Event 2, Event 3, Event 4). This is what I have... Company Name...

Columns to Rows
I'm sure this is a simple problem but I'm trying to convert columns o data into rows of data. What's the easiest way -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following: - copy your column (CTRL+C) - goto 'Edit - Paste Special) and choose 'Transpose' as action Frank > I'm sure this is a simple problem but I'm trying to convert columns of > data into rows of data. What's the easiest way? > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Just read Tom's post, paste special and then transpose -- Messag...

Picking Ticket Report
HELP! When orders are entered into the system, the PICK TICKET REPORT (actual name: SOP BLANK PICKING TICKET ORDER ENTERED) is printed to the warehouse for the staff to pick the stock. The way the warehouse layout is setup, all item numbers are on shelfs/drawers in order of item number. Some times when orders are entered, the item numbers are inputted sporadically (nature of the business). So when the PICKING REPORT/TICKET is printed, the items are in order of input. We would like to have the ticket/report print the items by order of Item Number. Apparently this was done in the past by...

.net framework XSLT processor appears to be broken
I stumbled upon this while developing a custom XPathNavigator. It appears that copy action for attributes is broken in the .net framework XSLT processor. The intent was to just copy the entities and attributes from the source XML into the output using simple "identity" like XSLT: <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"> <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/> <xsl:template match="/ | @* | node()"> <xsl:copy> <xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node...

Void Trx appearing on Customer Statement
Void trx will appear on Customer Statement UNLESS running PAID TRX REMOVAL process or having to modify the statement to exclude void trx. personally (and my clients) find that this is a very WEIRED practice... eg: a sales trx is wrongly entered/posted and is then void. the practice is to process PAID TRX REMOVAL after printing of statement so that the fully paid trx will appear in the statment. then the above void trx will also appear in customer statement, which is not desired... is there any other way to EXCLUDE void trx from statement or anybody can suggest a better practice? thks ...

Overlay 4 years of data as a line on 4 years of columns for several x category labels
Dear Charting aficianados, The tutorial at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ClusterColAndLine.html is the closest example I can find to a charting conundrum I am facing, though what I am hoping to achieve is still a little different. I've made a mock up of what I'm hoping to achieve - though I have had to use drawing objects for the line series, to overlay on the columns - I'm sure there is a way to get excel to do this - do you think there is? (sheet named mock-up) A workbook with mocuk-up and my other charting attmempts can be found: http://www.savefile.com/files/2690840 T...

Case numbering 01-23-04
I would like to change the cases to start at 3500 instead of 1000 to go along with our numbering scheme here. I know the auto numbering system in 1.2 does not allow you to change the number, only the prefix (CAS), I was wondering if there is a way around this. Thanks, Stefanie Gardner Unsupported, but...hint...check out the OrganizationBase table. Mike "Stefanie Gardner" <sgardner@nospam.crewsen.com> wrote in message news:uQntkCf4DHA.1596@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I would like to change the cases to start at 3500 instead of 1000 to go > along with our numbering sc...

Finding Time of idle remote sessions(RDP) in windows XP
Hi, Is there any way i can find the time of idle remote session(RDP) in windows XP using powershell. Please help! Hi Rajeev, Plain TS or XenApp\Citrix? Martin "Rajeev" <s.rajeev3@gmail.com> wrote in message news:b4c8b150-79ff-4f0b-8d90-a13118c8eeda@z4g2000prh.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is there any way i can find the time of idle remote session(RDP) in > windows XP using powershell. > > Please help! Its plain TS, using RDP In that case you should use Win32_LogonSession class and filter LogonType 10: http://msdn.microsoft....

Domino and Exchange 2003 SMTP How do you run both at the same time ?
Currently my company is migrating from Lotus Notes (ver 5.010) to Exchange 2003 Server. I had the mx record for our domain changed to add the new exchange server and the priority is set the same as the notes server. I set it up this way because I was told that e-mail would check both servers and would go to the server which the user had an e-mail account on. I was trying to make migration easier by being able to move people to the new server in small groups instead of causing mass confusion and un-controlled anger at their favorite MIS guy... What happens is the exchange server sends a bounc...