Importing Access DB into Excel changes my calculated fields in Exc

I currently have an Excel worksheet that imports data from MSAccess.  I have
calulated fields built into this Excel sheet that calculates info from the
results that are returned.  When I refreshed this new year, less data is
returned and the calculated fields where there is no data returned are
showing #REF!.  How do I keep the calculated fields static so they don't try
to change when new data is brought in and some fields are now blank?  See
example below.  The calculated fields are Variance and Pct Change

Columns
Year  Month  Dollars1   Dollars2  Dollars3  Total  Variance  Pct Change

Data
2008  December  500  500  100  1100  =IF(F4 ="","",SUM(F3-F4))  =IF(G3
="","",SUM(G3/F4))

When I hit refresh, the Variance and Pct Change columns that returned data
prior to refreshing but now since it is a new year don't return any data now
look like this.

Variance
=IF(#REF! ="","",SUM(F25-#REF!))

Pct Change
=IF(G25 ="","",SUM(G25/#REF!))

See me answers:
1)"When I refreshed this new year, less data is  returned" - check your
access data base,. it it possible that some query doesn't work properly. You
may new codes that the query doens't capture. Go to the source and check it
there.

2)"the calculated fields where there is no data returned are showing #REF""
- One of the cause of this is that you are using a link to a program that is
not running. It is possible that somebody moved Ms Access database somewhere
else? (other cause is when you try linking to a Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)
topic such as "system" that is not available)
See how it has been linked to your excel file :Data/Import external
data/edit query

You may also insert a new sheet, link it again and see if you still have a
problem
--
Click yes if helped
Greatly appreciated

"Shadow27_us" wrote:

> I currently have an Excel worksheet that imports data from MSAccess.  I have
> calulated fields built into this Excel sheet that calculates info from the
> results that are returned.  When I refreshed this new year, less data is
> returned and the calculated fields where there is no data returned are
> showing #REF!.  How do I keep the calculated fields static so they don't try
> to change when new data is brought in and some fields are now blank?  See
> example below.  The calculated fields are Variance and Pct Change
>
> Columns
> Year  Month  Dollars1   Dollars2  Dollars3  Total  Variance  Pct Change
>
> Data
> 2008  December  500  500  100  1100  =IF(F4 ="","",SUM(F3-F4))  =IF(G3
> ="","",SUM(G3/F4))
>

> When I hit refresh, the Variance and Pct Change columns that returned data
> prior to refreshing but now since it is a new year don't return any data now
> look like this.
>
> Variance
> =IF(#REF! ="","",SUM(F25-#REF!))
>
> Pct Change
> =IF(G25 ="","",SUM(G25/#REF!))

Thanks Eva.  That got my mind thinking.  I figure out how to fix this so I
thought I would share with all in case someone in the future has the same
issue.  I right clicked on my cell that is linked to the MS Access database
and choose Data Range Properties.  In there under "If the number of rows in
the data range changes upon refresh:" I had "Insert cells for a new data,
delet unused cells" checked.  I should have check the second option which is
"Insert entire rows for new data, clear unused cells".  Also, I didn't have
"Fill down formulas in cells with new data, clear unused cells" checked.
Once I changed these two things, all it good.

"Eva" wrote:

> See me answers:
> 1)"When I refreshed this new year, less data is  returned" - check your
> access data base,. it it possible that some query doesn't work properly. You
> may new codes that the query doens't capture. Go to the source and check it
> there.
>
> 2)"the calculated fields where there is no data returned are showing #REF""
> - One of the cause of this is that you are using a link to a program that is
> not running. It is possible that somebody moved Ms Access database somewhere
> else? (other cause is when you try linking to a Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)
> topic such as "system" that is not available)
> See how it has been linked to your excel file :Data/Import external
> data/edit query
>
> You may also insert a new sheet, link it again and see if you still have a
> problem
> --
> Click yes if helped
> Greatly appreciated
> Eva
>

> "Shadow27_us" wrote:
>
> > I currently have an Excel worksheet that imports data from MSAccess.  I have
> > calulated fields built into this Excel sheet that calculates info from the
> > results that are returned.  When I refreshed this new year, less data is
> > returned and the calculated fields where there is no data returned are
> > showing #REF!.  How do I keep the calculated fields static so they don't try
> > to change when new data is brought in and some fields are now blank?  See
> > example below.  The calculated fields are Variance and Pct Change
> >
> > Columns
> > Year  Month  Dollars1   Dollars2  Dollars3  Total  Variance  Pct Change
> >
> > Data
> > 2008  December  500  500  100  1100  =IF(F4 ="","",SUM(F3-F4))  =IF(G3
> > ="","",SUM(G3/F4))
> >

> > When I hit refresh, the Variance and Pct Change columns that returned data
> > prior to refreshing but now since it is a new year don't return any data now
> > look like this.
> >
> > Variance
> > =IF(#REF! ="","",SUM(F25-#REF!))
> >
> > Pct Change
> > =IF(G25 ="","",SUM(G25/#REF!))

That is a good inside. I was looking at data range properties for a moment:)
It is helpfull hint for the future ( I also have number of excel files linked
to access databases)
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva

"Shadow27_us" wrote:

> Thanks Eva.  That got my mind thinking.  I figure out how to fix this so I
> thought I would share with all in case someone in the future has the same
> issue.  I right clicked on my cell that is linked to the MS Access database
> and choose Data Range Properties.  In there under "If the number of rows in
> the data range changes upon refresh:" I had "Insert cells for a new data,
> delet unused cells" checked.  I should have check the second option which is
> "Insert entire rows for new data, clear unused cells".  Also, I didn't have
> "Fill down formulas in cells with new data, clear unused cells" checked.
> Once I changed these two things, all it good.
>
> "Eva" wrote:
>
> > See me answers:
> > 1)"When I refreshed this new year, less data is  returned" - check your
> > access data base,. it it possible that some query doesn't work properly. You
> > may new codes that the query doens't capture. Go to the source and check it
> > there.
> >
> > 2)"the calculated fields where there is no data returned are showing #REF""
> > - One of the cause of this is that you are using a link to a program that is
> > not running. It is possible that somebody moved Ms Access database somewhere
> > else? (other cause is when you try linking to a Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)
> > topic such as "system" that is not available)
> > See how it has been linked to your excel file :Data/Import external
> > data/edit query
> >
> > You may also insert a new sheet, link it again and see if you still have a
> > problem
> > --
> > Click yes if helped
> > Greatly appreciated
> > Eva
> >

> > "Shadow27_us" wrote:
> >
> > > I currently have an Excel worksheet that imports data from MSAccess.  I have
> > > calulated fields built into this Excel sheet that calculates info from the
> > > results that are returned.  When I refreshed this new year, less data is
> > > returned and the calculated fields where there is no data returned are
> > > showing #REF!.  How do I keep the calculated fields static so they don't try
> > > to change when new data is brought in and some fields are now blank?  See
> > > example below.  The calculated fields are Variance and Pct Change
> > >
> > > Columns
> > > Year  Month  Dollars1   Dollars2  Dollars3  Total  Variance  Pct Change
> > >
> > > Data
> > > 2008  December  500  500  100  1100  =IF(F4 ="","",SUM(F3-F4))  =IF(G3
> > > ="","",SUM(G3/F4))
> > >

> > > When I hit refresh, the Variance and Pct Change columns that returned data
> > > prior to refreshing but now since it is a new year don't return any data now
> > > look like this.
> > >
> > > Variance
> > > =IF(#REF! ="","",SUM(F25-#REF!))
> > >
> > > Pct Change
> > > =IF(G25 ="","",SUM(G25/#REF!))

Change to lastname first in GAL
This seems like it should be simple, but I cannot find where to change the display format of the global address list. It formats with firstname lastname instead of lastname firstname... I must be missing something obvious...can someone please point me in the right direction... Thank you kindly. Try this: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF023.html -- Mark Fugatt "Shawn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3b2c01c48f94$a3b38700$a301280a@phx.gbl... > This seems like it should be simple, but I cannot find > where to change the display for...

Steps in Exchange 2000 to change domain name?
We have an existing domain name (company.com). We have decided to change our name to newcompany.com. Right now the users are user@company.com and we want it to be user@newcompany.com. What do I need to do to change that in Exchange? I have made the necessary DNS changes (or so I believe). Thank you!!! Douglas Just add newcompany.com to your recipient policy & make it the default...best not to remove your existing company.com addresses as it may help during the transition to let users receive mail for both addresses. See http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html for help. ; ...

New to excel

Reporting from Project Server

Looking for Excel Help

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

RMS V2 and QSC Import
I have successfully imported several of my customers products using the QSC Import tool as a test but am unable to import the items with any association with sales tax? The default Sales Tax is TAX which is what I plan on using but once imported it creates a new item code TAX so now I have two? I plan on importing several hundred products and any help would be much appreciated. -Jess Reference- https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/rms/downloads/releases/rms_so_importutility.htm i use the same tool but i dont tell the import utility anything about tax. import the items witho...

learning Excel #3

get a result of an sql into a field

Change position ID in HR

How to create an autonumber field?