How do I create a combo box that is tied to another combo box?

I am trying to create a combo box that is associated with yet another combo
box. So, for example, I have a combo list currently, but I'd like another
list (a sub-list) to pop up with each input in the combo list. Is this
possible?

Could you live with Data Validation dropdown lists instead of combocbox?

See Debra Dalgleish's site for how-to and a sample workbook.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:26:03 -0800, rosamaria <rosamaria
@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am trying to create a combo box that is associated with yet another combo
>box. So, for example, I have a combo list currently, but I'd like another
>list (a sub-list) to pop up with each input in the combo list. Is this
>possible?

0
Gord
12/9/2009 7:48:01 PM
Take a look at this:

HTH,
Ryan---

--
Ryan---

"rosamaria" wrote:

> I am trying to create a combo box that is associated with yet another combo
> box. So, for example, I have a combo list currently, but I'd like another
> list (a sub-list) to pop up with each input in the combo list. Is this
> possible?

Workflow Rule: Create Task only works for Owner
I've created a workflow rule that creates a task whenever an order is created. It works fine if the task is assigned to "Owner". However, when I try to assign it to another "User", nothing seems to happen. Can someone please explain why? Thanks. Hi, You can check the error log in "workflow monitor" to see any error. PS" i am not exactly sure what u meant " /Aamir Automatic workflow rules (including those based on Create) run under the CRM context of the user who last modified the rule. If this user only only has Assign permission at the U...

List Box Selection to Run report
Hi I have a list box in which there are 10 fields shown. I wish for the user to make selections (multiple if required) and then for them to run a report. I have the following code (mainly extracted from Martin Greens website) which is allowing the report to run but my criteria is not being used in the record selection. There is no other criteria in the reports query so I am looking for help as to why I am not able to run the report correctly displaying the users selections Private Sub cmdRunReport_Click() Dim db As DAO.Database Dim varItem As Variant Dim strCriteria As Str...

Calling out variable from another slide in VBA
On Slide2, I have a variable named BackButtonStatus. If I am coding for Slide3, how do I call out to get the value of BackButtonStatus? Thanks. Slide2.BackButtonStatus will get you that. Ensure that BackButtonStatus is declared at slide-level and as a public variable. - Chirag PowerShow - View multiple PowerPoint slide shows simultaneously http://officeone.mvps.org/powershow/powershow.html "Pendrome" <Pendrome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:484654D6-58E3-4A6E-B661-9AC2A276A929@microsoft.com... > On Slide2, I have a variable named Back...

What is the extra field added with a combo or list box
I posted this question once already but I think I forgot to specify a discussion group, so here it is again, sorry if it's a duplicate. Anyway... some of the time but not always, when I add an unbound combo or list box control to a form, Access adds a corresponding column to the data sheet portion of the form. Usually my reason for the control is to look up and go to entered values. The extra field holds the value that is selected in the control, but doesn't seem to do anything else. If I hide the column the control will no longer do the search. What is this extra co...

Creating a race submition form
I would like some help creating a form that race officials can use to enter races into our excel data base. Shawn, you'll get more help if you describe the race information you want to collect and what you want to do with it. For example, horse race, car race, driver, jockey, wins, losses, dollar amounts, etc. -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "Shawn" wrote: > I would like some help creating a form that race officials can use to enter > races into our excel data base. ...

How do I create a drop down box in Excel for another person to see
How do I create a drop down box in Excel for another person to select from. For example I want someone to give me the answer to a question using the drop down box for the answer. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:DD0016C4-C699-4072-995B-EBD986EEEED7@microsoft.com... > How do I create a drop down box in Excel for another person to select from. > For example I want someone to give me the answer to a question using the drop > down box for...

Is This Method Of Creating a String Possible?
Hi all. I've looked on Google for this but it's one of those that I just don't know what keywords to put in the search terms!! So, in a nutshell... I know when you do this with a=10 and b=5 Console.Writeline ("{0} is bigger than {1}", a, b) You will get this - "10 is bigger than 5". BUT can I define a new string like that? I'd love for it to work like this (but I know it doesn't)... Dim myString as String = "{0} is bigger than {1}", a, b Is there any way of creating a string using these kind of placeholder techniques? ...

How do I create a comma delineated xls file to a comma delineated.
I need to be able to create a comma delineated ascii file. I have the data already set up on an excel spread sheet. I cannot use a csv file format. it would be helpful if you gave more info, but you might find something you can use here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html In article <8876EBFD-0811-421D-B8D0-12019573A086@microsoft.com>, "tasgreen" <tasgreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to be able to create a comma delineated ascii file. I have the data > already set up on an excel spread sheet. I cannot use a csv file format....

Another Direct Push woe
I'm having some trouble with our Direct Push enable mobile devices. The problem is the same with 4 different devices on 3 different carriers, so I'm assuming the problem is on our end. We're running Exchange Server 2003 (SP2) on SBS 2003, SSL enabled. Problem: ActiveSync works fine with manual syncs, and timed syncs (eg. check every 5 minutes). If the devices are set to "As Items Arrive", they get nothing. I believe the problem to be with the firewall because when the devices are tethered to a PC and connect through the local intranet, Direct Push works as pres...

how to lock the find and replace dialog box in a corner
In Office 97 Excel, the find and replace dialog box could be moved out the field of view and it would stay there even afer to programe was closed. The next time it was turned on it was where it had been the last time. With office 2003 Excel, the box will be in the middlw of the screen. After it is moved, it will stay where it was moved as long as to program is open. After being closed and re-opened, the box will be back in the center of the screen. Is there a way to keep the box where it was moved to like it did in excel '97? ...

Creating an XML file from a datatable or dataset
I need to create an XML file which is in a pre-defined format (All the tags are defined) from data extracted from a SQL Server database. The XML should be created in such a way that the tags should match the right data, for e.g. the XML will have a tag <AccountName></AccountName> and the datatable will have a column AccountName. What is the best way to do this ? Thanks Sameer_Vantage wrote: > I need to create an XML file which is in a pre-defined format (All the tags > are defined) from data extracted from a SQL Server database. The XML should > be created in such ...

Can't create/add calendar appointments
Hi- I have a couple of end users who intermittently can not add appointments to their calendars. If I recreate their Outlook profile, it allows them to do it for a week or so, then reverts to not allowing it. This is Outlook 2003 on Exchange 2003 servers. Thoughts? Thanks. ...

How do I copy data from one cell to another.
Hello. I'm having trouble creating a macro that will let me cut postcodes from one cell and paste into another cell. I would appreciate if anybody can help me. What I have, is a large excel spreadsheet with a couple of thousand names and addresses. The address fields start in column B through to G. Each line of the address should be in a separate cell within each row, but the postcodes have all ended up in the same cell as the last line of the address. I need to cut the postcodes out of these cells and paste them into column H which is empty. The addresses are different lengths, leavi...

Creating HTML
I need to write an authoring application that will in short, need to create web pages. I would like to have some sort of WYSIWYG interface, kind of like Frontpage. When done, I can publish the pages to a web server. Are there any sort of tools, components (ActiveX) that I could use to accomplish this? Thanks Ralph WHY DO YOU PEOPLE STILL THINK THAT SOMEONE GIVE YOU CONSTRUCTIVE REPLY WHEN YOU SET THE DATE OF YOUR POST YEARS OR MONTHS AHEAD?! MY SUGGESTION TO CIVILIZED PEOPLE USING USENET: PLEASE DO COMPLETELY IGNORE IGNORANTS UNTIL THEY KNOW SIMPLE RULE: EVERYONE SHOULD WAIT FOR HIS/HER TU...

Retrieving email ids into drop down box in outlook 2007 add-in
Hi, I am working on MS outlook 2007 add-in project using Visual studio 2008,C#. I am trying to retrieve all email accounts( which were I set up in outlook) into one dropdown box. May I know how to get this application.... ...

Formula to show entire record on another sheet
I'm planning an event and have an invitation list with several types of invitations (i.e., complimentary, VIP, regular). This information (Name, address, type of invitation, etc.) is stored on Sheet 1. On Sheet 2, I want a list of just the complimentary invitations. Is there a formula that will automatically add the entire record (name, address, type of invitation, etc.) to Sheet 2 if it is a complimentary invitation? The records will be sorted in several ways during the planning process (in case that makes a difference). I also will add records until the day of the ev...

Creating a macro
I want to create a macro in Excel 2000 using one already written by someone else. but all I find are instructions to create one from scratch the normal keyboard/mouse way. Is there a more direct way to create and copy one in? The macro in question is here: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/unselect.htm. Thanks, Gene It's just like copying and pasting text: Open the VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) editor (how you do this may vary according to the particular version of Excel); in Excel 2003 this is done by selecting Tools menu, Macro command, select Visual Basic Editor from the pop-...

script to create local pst, change profile
Hi All, My company is phasing out Exchange/Outlook to use Lotus. I'd like to see if anyone out there has experience with creating a script to export a users mailbox on the Exchange server to a local .pst file on their workstation. I would also need to setup Outlook to use this .pst file as the message store. Reasoning is that I need to give the end-users the ability to access the Exchange mail for 1 year, even after the Exchange 2003 server site is gone. Again, basically move mailbox to a .pst on the user's C:, configure Outlook to use local .pst as message store. I have about 250 us...

how to create automatic macro with if statement or similar
How do I create a macro including if statement & automatically I need to create a worksheet where I can have a list of various data and if I change the value of one row and that is of a higher value than any other in this list , I need this row to jump to the top of the worksheet. This should then happen automatically, ie every time you enter a sum in the value column it should perform the if statetment automatically and check wether the top value cell has got a higher value than the sum I just typed in. Anyone got any ideas of how to do this? Personally, this would drive me ba...

Can't get rid of combo box
Hi, I followed these instructions from a previous post, but it didn't help. Edit>Go To, click Special Select Objects, click OK Press the Delete key, to delete any objects that were selected. (no objects were selected) If that didn't work, it may be an object from the control toolbox: (yes, it was) Choose View>Toolsbars>Control toolbox Click the Design mode button Point to one of the lines If the pointer changes to a four-headed arrow, click on the line to select it (it didn't change to a four-headed arrow) Press the delete key, to delete the line I also used the arrow ...

Exchange 5.5
I have two servers on a Windows 2000 domain. Server 1 is running Symanyec Activirus for SMTP Gateways. All incoming mail arrives at this server, is checked for viruses and filtered for spam, then passed to the Exchange server (Exchange 5.5) which is on the same class C subnet. The Exchange server has an Internet connection (with incoming port 25 blocked by a firewall) and it sends outgoing mail directly to the Internet. I would like to route outgoing mail back to the SMTP gateway server from the Exchange server for outgoing virus scanning rather then allow a direct Internet connecti...

Creating query which opens list of terms
I have a question about queries for Access 2003 database I created. I want to be able to search the queries for a large number of complex search terms. I want to make it easy for users to enter the correct spelling and syntax for those terms. How can I provide a large cheat sheet that opens when the user opens the query? I have a table with the list. I can think of two ways to do this but don't know if either or both of them would work. 1) Can I make the table into an image file and have it open when the query is opened? 2) Can I link the searched query to a query that lists the ...

Outlook in box
since I downlaoded my e mail on 27/8/04 I am unable to open my inbox. all other function of outlook express are working. I have spyware and current antivirus working hoever this did not pick up a virus. Can anyone help me. My e mail is piling up and am unable to open it. Hi - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these news...

find entry where id doesn't have a certain entry in another field
I need help with a query. In a table each id can have more than one output_device, but must have at least an entry for 'RECS'. How can I identify id's that don't have an entry where output_device = 'RECS'? Example, id of 567 is ok, but I want to get id 459 because it doesn't have an entry for RECS: id output_device 567 RECS 567 IA3 459 IM7 459 TR4 Thanks for any ideas! SELECT DISTINCT A.id FROM [your_table] AS A LEFT JOIN ( SELECT DISTINCT id FROM [your_table] WHERE output_device = 'RECS') AS B ...

Creating relations between linked tables.
I have this code to automatically create relations in a db with link tables when the Field names are the same for different tables from SQL ODBC conection but when it gets to "db.Relations.Append rel" gives an error: "Can't create the relation in a link table". Any I deas? Thank you. Sub CreateRelations() Dim db As Database Dim tb As TableDef, tb1 As TableDef Dim rs As Recordset Dim rel As Relation Dim fld As Field, fld1 As Field Dim sFieldName As String Set db = CurrentDb() For Each tb In db.TableDefs ...