hide columns on a protected sheet

When using MS Excel 2003: I have turned on "Protect Sheet" to protect some
formulas/Cells from being deleted/changed. Prior to turning on protection I
unlocked the cells that I wanted users to be able to edit.

What I don't see on the "Protect Sheet" menu is an option to "Hide Columns"

Do you know of any way that I can allow users to do this, without turning
off the protection in MS Excel 2003?

aww i figured it out....

"Rose" wrote:

> When using MS Excel 2003: I have turned on "Protect Sheet" to protect some
> formulas/Cells from being deleted/changed. Prior to turning on protection I
> unlocked the cells that I wanted users to be able to edit.
>
> What I don't see on the "Protect Sheet" menu is an option to "Hide Columns"
>
> Do you know of any way that I can allow users to do this, without turning
> off the protection in MS Excel 2003?

See answer at other post.

No need to multi-post.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:50:01 -0800, Rose <Rose@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>When using MS Excel 2003: I have turned on "Protect Sheet" to protect some
>formulas/Cells from being deleted/changed. Prior to turning on protection I
>unlocked the cells that I wanted users to be able to edit.
>
>What I don't see on the "Protect Sheet" menu is an option to "Hide Columns"
>
>Do you know of any way that I can allow users to do this, without turning
>off the protection in MS Excel 2003?

0
Gord

Trendline on difference between two columns
How do I create a trendline illuminating the spread between two columns of numbers, such as bond yields; e.g. a trend showing differencwe between a ten year bond and ten year Treasury Inflation Protected bonds over time? Red, Make a third column in your sheet, include it in your chart, and change it to a line chart. To change to line, when it comes up as a column, select that series - right-click - Chart type - Line. The third column should have a formula that calculates the difference. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ----------------------------------------...

Convert Unix column to date and time in 2 columns
I used the following as a query expression to convert unix timestamp. DateAdd("s",UnixDate,#1/1/1970#) This got it done but I am now wanting to go one step further and be able to have the date in one column and the time in another for additional queries vs. having them in the same column. Any suggestion? The formula takes this value 1181836800 and returns this: 6/14/2007 4:00:00 PM I would like to somehow end up with 6/14/2007 in one columen and 4:00:00 PM in another. DateValue(date_time_value) and TimeValue( date_time_value) Vanderghast, Access MVP "LizB&quo...

Hiding a dropdown menu
Hello, I am stuck and would appreciate your input. I have an option button (Option Button 8566) and it is linked to cell T15 on SheetResults. When the first option from the option button is chosen and hence T15=1, Drop Down 573 should be visible. If T15 equals to anything else, Drop Down 573 should not be visible. I know I need to write a macro but I am not sure where to start. Any ideas? Many thanks in advance, Johanna try; Sub HideIt() Sheet1.Shapes _ ("Drop Down 573").Visible = _ Sheet1.Range("T51") = 1 End Sub -- Re...

How to set default fields/columns in folder?
In Outlook 2000 running against Exchange 2000, what governs the creation of the default fields/columns that are displayed when I create a new folder? I have a user who claims that when he used to create new mail folders (below the Inbox folder, in his case) the "From" field was included by default, but any that he has created in the past few weeks have not included that (I verified this myself). I have determined that the default fields/columns are NOT inherited from the parent folder. How can I get this user's (or all users') defaults to include the "From" field...

Password Protection #6
Is there any way to manipulate a password protected sheet without having the actual password? J.E. McGimpsey has a way! http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html stew wrote: > > Is there any way to manipulate a password protected sheet > without having the actual password? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Password remover: http://www.straxx.com/excel/password.html "stew" <day2399@aol.com> wrote in message news:11a3a01c441ce$b63b3b20$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to manipulate a password protected sheet > without having the actual pa...

How can I shade columns but keep grid?
Everytime I use the fill function it darkens out the grid lines. I'd like a nice light gray or off white for a few columns as contrast but keep the grid in black. Help, please. You'll have to *make* the grid lines on pattern filled cells using the: <Format> <Cells> <Borders> tab. -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "callmekilo" <callmekilo@earthlink.net...

Spell check with protection on
I have a worksheet that I have protected and allow users to access on the unlocked cells to enter data. My users want to use the spell check function, but it is not allowing them to spell check. Any ideas? Mona, here is one way using a macro to unprotect the sheet run spell check and the protect the sheet, I am not sure but I think in later versions of excel there might be a option for this when you protect the sheet Sub Spell_Check() 'spell check a protected sheet ActiveSheet.Unprotect password:="123" Cells.CheckSpelling CustomDictionary:="CUSTOM.DIC", Ignor...

popup note when a sheet is accessed
How can I make a note or window popup each time a sheet is accessed? I thought I could use the Input Message on Data Validation, but you have to be in a specific cell. M.Siler, you could you the worksheet activate event like this, put in sheet code Private Sub Worksheet_Activate() MsgBox "You just clicked on this sheet" End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "M.Siler" <John.Doe@NoSpam.com...

Hide New Template button in Campaign
Hi, Can I hide the "New Template" button that is present in Campaigns? If so, how can i do it. You can hide almost every single element on the page. However, this is unsupported way to achieve the result. First challenge is to find the HTML element id. Press Ctrl+N to open the current page in the new window, then view the HTML source. Search for the element id, then use the following javascript to hide the button. var el = document.all.getElementById('elementid'); if (el != null) { el.style.visibility = 'hidden'; el.style.position = 'absolute'; } T...

Highlight column headings when cursor is in a cell.
When navigating a spreadsheet (e.g. cursor is placed in B12), I would like the letter Column Heading "B" and the Row Heading "12" to highlight in a different color other than standard gray. When moving cursor, each Heading/Row you pass through would change to a specified color - then returning to gray once you leave the cell. It already goes bold. Perhaps this alternative might help '---------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) '--------------------------------------------------...

Need more than 256 columns
I am working on a project that requires me to use 365 columns. It look as if excel only goes to 256; IV is last column. Is there any way t add more. I need a column for each day of the year. Thanks for any hel you can give. I am brand new to this forum. Thanks to all of you fo giving your time and knowledge so freely. Karynsl: -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi no chance. 256 is the maximum. You may transpose your layout and use rows for your dates -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I am working on a project that requires me to use 365 columns. It > looks ...

Naming sheets with a list from another workbook;alphebetizing sheets
How do I alphabetize the sheets in a workbook. Also, can I use a list from one workbook quickly create another workbook with the list as the sheet names. TIA Please don't multipost. Changing the subject title but not the content and then posting to different groups tends to get a few people hot under the collar, as it will fragment replies. Take a look at the response in worksheet.functions that I gave you. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP -------------------------------------------...

Take row headings and make a new sheet for each
I have a list of employees that I want to track uniform issue. I woul like to take each row and make a sheet for it, but I don't want to d it one by one, by hand. Is there some short cut to make a sheet fo each row? Thanks for your help, Roxanne : -- Roxann ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Roxanne's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1489 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26526 Roxanne, It could be done, but would require a macro. Consider carefully doing that, as the...

combining columns
Greetings, Struggling to figure something out. Thank you for your help... I have a column of 1200 fields. examples are "item 1", "item 2"... the big goal is to get one list that says "order item 1", "receive item 1", "install item 1"... So, I can use the concatenate function to generate columns of "order item 1", "order item 2" or "receive item 1", "receive item 2". Now trying to combine these lists so i get one long list where all of the actions for item 1 are listed first, then all actions fo...

limited columns?
I am working with a large data set. (It is currently a form in Microsoft Word) I need to import data into Excel (2003) but am getting an error message which does not allow me to import all of the data since I have exceeded the range of columns available in my spreadsheet. I thought that i could get around this by importing the data vertically (into columns) as opposed to horizontally (into rows) (ie : currently each row is a client, and each column represents a question - I was hoping that I could import the data whereas one client would be represented by a column) Could anyone tell...

Add AVERAGE column to Pivot Table
I have a pivot table with sales reps for rows and months for columns. The data is the sum (total sales) for each rep. I have Grand Totals turned on for both columns and rows. However, I would like to see Total Sum for the column grand totals and Total Average for the row grand totals (an average of the 12 months). How do I do this? If I go into field settings on my (total sales) data item and change it to average, both column and row grand totals change. How can I configure them independently? [Excel 2003] Thanks. ...

sum up 2 different columns
=D5-SUM(D6:D92,H6:H92) i thought worked but i guess it doesn't cant anyone help me Don't know what version of Excel you are using. I have 2003, put your formula in pretty much exactly and it worked just fine. Here is mine. =A14-SUM(A2:A11,B2:B11) "Michele" wrote: > =D5-SUM(D6:D92,H6:H92) i thought worked but i guess it doesn't cant anyone > help me i'm running 2002 i think. but for some reason my formula won't work anymore. got any suggestions "Jarrod" wrote: > Don't know what version of Excel you are using. I have 2003, put your...

Protecting
I have a spreadsheet that contains actual and budget data, both pulled from another source, I want to lock the cells that have actual data but not the budget columns, the actual data columns change every month after the close is done, thanks ...

Filling sliding accross and along columns
Hi all, Can anybody tell me how can I slide a formula contsinaing a constant across lines and along columns. Here is an example a11 a12 a13 a21 a22 a23 a31 a32 a33 What I would like to have is a11 a12 a13 a21/a11 a22/a11 a23/a11 : For this I use =CELL/$CELL$XX and slide across a31/a11 a32/a11 a33/a11 : Seems like sliding the previous formula along columns is not working. Cheers kaci, just a suggestion for you to play around with and figure the solutio our for yourself. for the divisor, try $A$1, $A1, A$1 in order to anchor the cell, th column, the row respectively. mac -...

Copy sheet name into cell
I would like to copy the sheet name into a cell in the same sheet in a way that if the sheet name is changed the content of the cell is changed too. Is there a function to do this? Thank you =MID(CELL("filename",A1), FIND("]", CELL("filename", A1))+ 1, 255) Try this "ronoee" wrote: > I would like to copy the sheet name into a cell in the same sheet in a way > that if the sheet name is changed the content of the cell is changed too. > Is there a function to do this? > > Thank you > Try this technique from a post by Harlan .....

Hide "deactivate" option from More Actions menu
Hello, I need to remove the deactivate option from the More Actions menu from a custom entity we have called Inquiries...If someone could help point me in the right direction that would be great!!! I would recommend that you look into using JavaScript to do it. You need to find the Element ID using IE developer toolbar. then use you can the following code to hide it. Hopefully this will give you a quick start. Just FYI, this is not supported by Microsoft, it's on your own risk. var t =3D document.GetElementById(""); t.style.display =3D "none"; Darren Liu, Microsof...

How to delete a checkbox on a Excel sheet ?
Hello, I am using Excel 2003. I have created a template (.xlt) with some checkboxes. No macro in the template. No action related to the checkbox (only for printing). I would like to delete these checkboxes now but I cannot go back to the design mode. Whenever I click on a checkbox (left or right), it does nothing but check the box ! How can I do ? Thank you in advance, Gilbert You have to be in design mode to select/delete the check boxes. Switch to the VBE (Alt-F11) and click the Design Mode button on the Standard toolbar. Then come back to Excel. -- Jim "Gilbert Tordeur...

formula adding cells in worksheets when # of sheets in work book changes
I have a workbook template which contains a worksheet for each day o the month and a summary sheet which totals cells from the dail worksheets. The problem is that each month does not have the sam number of days, so the cells of the summary sheet needs to have th range changed when there is a different number of days. Is there a way to write a formula to include only worksheets that ar present - ie when a new file is created from the template i automatically has worksheets for 31 days - and a worksheet will b deleted if there are only 30 days. Is there a way to create a formul so that the f...

comment indicator changing the color or hiding the indicators
How can I change the red triangle to a clear triangle so it will not show up in the document. I still want the comment to pop up when i click on that cell. I just do not want the indicator to show. You can't do it so easily. There is a workaround: Tools|Options|View, set Comments to "None". To read a comment, RIGHT-click on the cell and choose "Edit Comment". (When done reading comment, click somewhere else, or hit Escape twice.) The comment will not appear when you pass your cursor over the cell; you have to know which cell to right-click. - David Giovanni wr...

days between dates in a column
I have a column (A) of dates and want the number of days from date to date to appear in the next column (B). You can simply subtract one date from another to get the number of days between the two. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "dataman" <ray@1techcenter.com> wrote in message news:1143666588.849857.164550@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I have a column (A) of dates and want the number of days from >date to > date to appear in the next column (B). > In B2 =A3-A2 format as general an...