Help with formula: finding text

Hi,
I would like to ask for help with a formula for comparing name in a cell
with a list of names in a table. If there is a match it should return a
associated text to the matched name from the table. If no match it should
just leave the cell blank. Thanks in advance

Jonas

Hi
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
--
Please click "yes" if this post helped you!

Greatly appreciated

Eva

"Jonas Ornborg" wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to ask for help with a formula for comparing name in a cell
> with a list of names in a table. If there is a match it should return a
> associated text to the matched name from the table. If no match it should
> just leave the cell blank. Thanks in advance
>
> Jonas
VLOOKUP?

See help for instructions on use.

Basic formula to return a match or leave cell blank.

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(cell,table,colindex,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(cell,table,colindex,FALSE))

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:13:02 -0700, Jonas Ornborg <Jonas
Ornborg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I would like to ask for help with a formula for comparing name in a cell
>with a list of names in a table. If there is a match it should return a
>associated text to the matched name from the table. If no match it should
>just leave the cell blank. Thanks in advance
>
>Jonas

0
Gord
3/16/2010 11:13:21 PM
Hi, Thanks but I tend to get "Missing" (or "Saknas" in Swedish) in some cell
which should not be (i.e. there should be a match).
Jonas

"Eva" skrev:

> Hi
> =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
> --
> Please click "yes" if this post helped you!
>
> Greatly appreciated
>
> Eva
>

> "Jonas Ornborg" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I would like to ask for help with a formula for comparing name in a cell
> > with a list of names in a table. If there is a match it should return a
> > associated text to the matched name from the table. If no match it should
> > just leave the cell blank. Thanks in advance
> >
> > Jonas
Extra spaces in the cells?

Gord

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:33:01 -0700, Jonas Ornborg
<JonasOrnborg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi, Thanks but I tend to get "Missing" (or "Saknas" in Swedish) in some cell
>which should not be (i.e. there should be a match).
>Jonas
>
>"Eva" skrev:
>
>> Hi
>> =VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
>> --
>> Please click "yes" if this post helped you!
>>
>> Greatly appreciated
>>
>> Eva
>>

>> "Jonas Ornborg" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > I would like to ask for help with a formula for comparing name in a cell
>> > with a list of names in a table. If there is a match it should return a
>> > associated text to the matched name from the table. If no match it should
>> > just leave the cell blank. Thanks in advance
>> >
>> > Jonas

0
Gord

Need Help w/ Weighted Averaging
I now want to utilize Weighted Averaging. Please find some example data below: &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 1 0.067 2 0.133 3 0.200 4 0.267 5 0.333 ----------- 15 1.000 &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& The result of A6 = Sum of A1:A5 (or 15) The results of B1 to B5 are: B1 = A1/A6 (or 0.067); B2 = A2/A6 (or 0.133); B3 = A3/A6 (or 0.200), etc. The result of B6 = Sum of B1:B6 (or 1.000) Now, here's what I'm trying to achieve: - Alt...

Solving a formula
I have the following formula that I need Excel to solve for different values of P6 ( I have different values of P6 (P7, P8, P9 (reference cells)). I need the value of x for the different values of P6. Is this possible? It seems like it should be but I can't find out how to make Excel do this. Please help! Thanks. 70000 = P6*((((x/80)*(1/5280))*(2/3))+(((x/40)*(1/5280))*(1/3))) If I am not mistaken, x equals: = 22176000000 / P6 HTH -- Dana DeLouis Win XP & Office 2003 "Anth" <Anth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6196C6C5-FC82-42E2-B6A1-B2...

concatenate help
Hello, I am having issues with the CONCATENATE function. I am entering it correctly, and it is equaling the correct values. However, when I try to drag the cell down, it is just copying the same cell over and over as opposed to putting the correct value in the cell. Am I being clear? Please help. I have a list due tomorrow that will take a whole lot more time to finish if I can't get this function to work. Thanks ------------------------------------------------ Message posted from the Excel Tip Forum at http://www.ExcelTip.com/forum/ -- View and post usenet messages directly from htt...

SMS 2003 report help
I have no idea how to do this, but hopefully someone out there can help. Running SMS 2003 and I have the two reports below that I would like to combine with a change. I would like to be able to see the username and time of day usage for each user hit, not just the last usage along with everything in that first report. I would also like to just pull all the data for all games and all dates instead of having to specify. We aren't that big that I need to cut this list down. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch for any help! Mark "Users that have run a specific metered s...

Help
Hi I have produced an Excel workbook for gathering exam results and giving a score to them, counting the number of passes over a certain level etc. Each sheet is one student and I have used a little macro to name the sheet according to the name entered at the top of the sheet. My summary sheet requires certain formulae to analyse results from each worksheet. The problem is, I can easily enter the row of formulae for one student - but there could be up to 50 in a workbook! The fill action does not increment through the sheet names either when they are re-named or when they have original na...

change the text in the legend of a chart w/o changing pivot text
I am trying to create a series of pie charts that compares demographic data for clients assisted with multiple housing-related activities (new homebuyer, rehab, foreclosure prevention, etc.) If I want to look at the age of new homebuyers, on my pivot table I deselect all activities except new homebuyer. After I make my pie chart, in the legend the labels are "new homebuyer 18-24", "new homebuyer 25-34", etc. It's pretty self-explanatory that these are all "new homebuyers". I need for the New Homebuyer part to not be shown in the legend, but I can...

Need Help with Report
I have a main from and subform. Main form looks up a doctor and the subform lists the doctor's patients. On the main form there are command buttons to print specific report for these patients. However, when I click on report the report comes up with only 4 out of the 5 paitients. It does not pick up the first patient. Everything else works fine except that one. This is my code for the report. I do have requery in my main form. Even after I requery, it will no show all 5 patients. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me with this. Thank you. Private Sub ADOLVC_Click...

Text Form Fields
Not sure if I have posted this in the right area, but here goes. I am more familiar with excel so working with forms in word is new to me. I have been tasked with developing a number of forms at work in Word 2003 for posting on our website. A guy who left, and is now not contactable, developed a whole range of forms before he left. He made sure the forms could be filled in online by inserting text editable fields for client use (both the 'greyed out' section and dotted lines can be seen when viewing and completing online and the dotted lines auto-delete as text is inserte...

Conditional Formatting of Text...
....I know how to apply Conditional Formatting to cells containing numeric data; is it possible to apply it to cells where the result is textual? For example: =if(a1>=5000,"High","Low") In this instance, I would want to conditionally format this cell so that if the result is High, then the text should be bold and red. Thanks in advance. I'm using Excel 2002... Hi click on the cell choose format / conditional formatting choose cell value is equal to ="high" click the format button set your formatting click OK twice Regards JulieD "Birmangirl&quo...

i need to have more text options in a running writting font
I have to format a logo from a hand written sign. The text "Script MT Bold" is quite acceptable but the 'f' needs to have a loop on the bottom not on the top. The dot above the 'i' needs to be round not square. Is there any way I can develop the text that I need or change the actual letters? I have done the work in 2003 Publisher. I use Brush Script MT and the letters are properly portrayed. The loop for the "f" is on the bottom and the dot over the "i" looks rounds. If I can be of help, send me a note to: dschmidt AT pacifier DOT com -...

FOrmula to work out pricing rounding up and down
I have a formula in cell that reads "=3DIF(C7>0,"FOC",-C7*1.175)" it turns a negative into a Positive and a Positive FIgure into answer of "FOC" Sometimes it will display a result of =A32 or =A35.50 or whatever the figure when the original answer is a negative. With me so far!! The result which is displayed as a number i need it to round up t the nearest 9.99. For example if c7 is =A34.00 display answer of 9.99 if c7 is =A311.00 display answer of 19.99 if c7 is =A328.43 display answer of 29.99 So no matter what the answer is it rounds up to the 9.99 answer...

text to fit in cell
How do I make the text fit in a cell. I want to be able to print the page with all of the words in the cell even if it has to make the cell larger, without going over into the next cell. How do I do this? Hi goto 'Format - Cells - alignment' and check 'Wrap text' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany DaveB wrote: > How do I make the text fit in a cell. I want to be able > to print the page with all of the words in the cell even > if it has to make the cell larger, without going over > into the next cell. How do I do this? Dave Format>Cells>Alignm...

Newbie needs help with table
I have created a database with two tables: Product Orders The product table contains the following fields: ProdID Descr OnHand the orders table contains: CustID ProdID QTYOrdered Cost When I created the Orders table I wanted to use the ProdID on the Product table as a lookup field. When I created the lookup type I selected from the Product Table the ProdID and Descr. When I try to do data entry the system does not properly input the data into the orders ProdID table. What I want is to display the ID AND the Description but I only want the ID placed in the or...

Dumb question... how to create a Enterprise Formula Custom Field
Guys, I'm writing because I've tried and search but can't get it ... From PWA I created a Project Custom Field "MyField" of type Text with the formula "Hello World", I tried with " and '. When I open a project the field returns #ERROR. I published to see if magic happens, but nothing. I did the same with type number and formula 10, same result. So In the end, I can't get any formula to work. What am I doing wrong ... I googled with no success. Perhaps try opening the project and hitting the F9 button to refresh calculations? Does ...

Add To "Find & Replace" Drop Down List
Greetings, I am running Excel 2003 on an XP box. I have a lot of replacing to do on 60 similar workbooks. There are about 20 different combinations that I have to worry about. I have been using the "Find & Replace" under the Edit menu choice Edit>Replace. The drop down list only keeps the last 5 choices. Is there anyway to increase this number from 5 to 25? Any ideas will be most welcomed. -Minitman ...

Filtering out text with conditional formatting
hi there, I have a problem I need help with. I have a worksheet that has column with 13 digit long number in it. I want a formula (or is it conditional formatting) that will highligh the cell if the last 5 digits of the number are not �00000� The number is in text format and needs to stay that way� so I wa thinking there could be come way to examine the text .. I dunno� an ideas greatly appreciated� thanks -- bluebea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bluebean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2595 View th...

Help me with formula
I have a basic graph 1,2,3,4,5.....going down in and a,b,c,d,e,f,c going across. EX. A B C D E F G ---------------------------------------------- 1 500 25 75 800 (200) 2 3 4 5 6 7 My question is how can I make an equation that Goes like this : Column A+B+D-E=G I showed an example above for on row but i wouuld wnat this to work for any row no matter what data I answer. I want this ewuation to work for any data entered for the whole sheet. I hope you understand and can help anyone. -- thatsall ------...

formula = ADD whatever is not highlighted.
Hi. I have a workbook which I use as my monthly budget. I have tried other software made for that, but this is really what I like. As transactions go through, I "highlight" the cell, using a variety of colors. I would like 1 cell (presumably, one that would calculate, what is left to go through) to add only the cells that are not highlighted, in a certain range. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. These should help. Sub addnoncolor() mysum = 0 For Each c In [m1:m5] If c.Interior.ColorIndex = 2 Then mysum = mysum + 1 Next MsgBox mysum End Sub Sub whatcolor() For Eac...

Winmail.Dat Being Created On Plain Text Emails
I am running Outlook 2003 with all the updates and I am having a winmail.dat file created on every email that I send even the ones in Plain Text. Are there other settings that I need to make in Outlook to stop this from happening? Thanks. Rick Bellefond RB Data Services www.rbdata.com Try turning off Word as your e-mail editor to see if it stops. (See Tool > Options > Mail Format tab) If Word is off, go to Tools > Options > Mail Format tab > Internet Options. Make sure the dropdown in the middle of the dialog is not set to Outlook Rich Text. Check the e-mail address...

can't copy text to new pub document
I am trying to copy entire pages from one Publisher 2007 doc to another. It will copy the text in some text boxes but not in others. I don't understand why this is happening. How do I get it to copy the entire page as is? I am using Ctrl A or Select All. Thank you. Oh, another thing to add: Even if I select only a single text box, it will not copy any text. "lindalou" wrote: > I am trying to copy entire pages from one Publisher 2007 doc to another. It > will copy the text in some text boxes but not in others. I don't understand > why this is happening. How d...

Help identifying virus
I get an email. Almost instantly another email "arrives" with the same subject but containing the following text: --- begin quote Hello How are you doing recently? I would like to introduce you a very good company which i knew. Their website is www.ebakm.com They can offer you all kinds of electronical products which you need,like Laptops ,GPS ,TV LCD,Cell Phones,PS3,MP3/4,Watch etc........ Please take some time to have a check ,there must be something you 'd like to purchase . Hope you have a good mood in shopping from their company ! Best Regar...

I have accidently hidden all my drwing, text boxes, etc
I have a file with several drawings, text boxes, etc. I now cannot see them nor can i add any new drawings, text boxes, etc., to this file. I might have accidently hit some shortcut key sequence to hide them. How do i get them back? Thank you, Tonso On Jun 20, 10:32 am, Billy <wthoma...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a file with several drawings, text boxes, etc. I now cannot see > them nor can i add any new drawings, text boxes, etc., to this file. I > might have accidently hit some shortcut key sequence to hide them. How > do i get them back? > > Thank you, > >...

Help Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease :-(
hello im new, my names Gary an im from coventry in england :-) im doing A(s)-Level ICT and currently working on a spreadsheet desig for a business including order forms customer database etc. the classi a-level ict project basically. I have a catalogue page with the products and the cutomer chooses th size of the product and how many they want etc. i want to create button that the uer clicks that then inserrts this data they hav chosen into the next available space on the order form worksheet, ho would i do this? i probably sound really stupid :confused: but i would really help me if you c...

I need help to customize a specific PowerPoint template
For PowerPoint template called "Beam", how do I change the first bullet on the master slide to be yellow instead of red and still keep the shade effect, and bring the bullet that is blue with the shade effect up to be the second level bullet? ...

Command Button
I would appreciate any help with this. I have a command button on my main form that when you click on it it will take you to the main switchboard and the reports page. This is the what I have now. My Switchboard has two pages. Page one has forms and button to go to the second page which lists reports. This only takes me to the main switchboard. If I type [SwitchboardID] is says there is no such field. I want the command button to take me to the second page of the switchboard and open reports. This is the info in the switchboard table for Reports. SwitchboardID = 2; ItemNumber =...