Go To the next empty cell in Column A

Using Vista and Excel 2007, I will be constructing a mailing list with 10
columns.  In the first empty row of column A will be added a new name for the
list.  With 10 columns it is not possible to view Column A from Column L on
screen.  With hundreds of names to add to the list, I need a fast way to go
to the next empty cell in column A to add the next name..
I am familiar with tables in Access where there is an icon that will take me
to the next empty cell in column A. Is there a similar one stroke command to
take me to the next empty cell in column A from anywhere in an Excel
worksheet?
Or can you help me create a one stroke command to do this?

Hi,

Not a single keystroke but two - Ctrl+Down Arrow, Down Arrow.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"DaddyRay" wrote:

> Using Vista and Excel 2007, I will be constructing a mailing list with 10
> columns.  In the first empty row of column A will be added a new name for the
> list.  With 10 columns it is not possible to view Column A from Column L on
> screen.  With hundreds of names to add to the list, I need a fast way to go
> to the next empty cell in column A to add the next name..
> I am familiar with tables in Access where there is an icon that will take me
> to the next empty cell in column A. Is there a similar one stroke command to
> take me to the next empty cell in column A from anywhere in an Excel
> worksheet?
> Or can you help me create a one stroke command to do this?

If you are entering a name in A the then moving across to L adding other
data as you go................

Type the name in A then Tab to next cell, type in data then Tab to next
cell.

When you reach L enter the data and hit ENTER key.

You will be taken back to A at next row down.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:53:02 -0800, DaddyRay
<DaddyRay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Using Vista and Excel 2007, I will be constructing a mailing list with 10
>columns.  In the first empty row of column A will be added a new name for the
>list.  With 10 columns it is not possible to view Column A from Column L on
>screen.  With hundreds of names to add to the list, I need a fast way to go
>to the next empty cell in column A to add the next name..
>I am familiar with tables in Access where there is an icon that will take me
>to the next empty cell in column A. Is there a similar one stroke command to
>take me to the next empty cell in column A from anywhere in an Excel
>worksheet?
>Or can you help me create a one stroke command to do this?

0
Gord
1/29/2010 9:11:35 PM
Either click in any cell in column A which is not empty. Press end and down
arrow. Or else: ctrl + end, home, down arrow. Several other options would
work, too.

"DaddyRay" wrote:

> Using Vista and Excel 2007, I will be constructing a mailing list with 10
> columns.  In the first empty row of column A will be added a new name for the
> list.  With 10 columns it is not possible to view Column A from Column L on
> screen.  With hundreds of names to add to the list, I need a fast way to go
> to the next empty cell in column A to add the next name..
> I am familiar with tables in Access where there is an icon that will take me
> to the next empty cell in column A. Is there a similar one stroke command to
> take me to the next empty cell in column A from anywhere in an Excel
> worksheet?
> Or can you help me create a one stroke command to do this?

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

Combining cells to create a formula
Hi, I have two cells that I want to combine to have a working formula B1 = sum B2 = d3 b3 = =b1&"("&b2&")" D3 = 10 The result in b3 is : sum(d3) How do I get this to result in the actual value in D3. I know I can simply write =D3, but the actual reason for combining the two cells is more complicated than explained here. Thanks Hi I think you are perhaps looking for the Indirect function =INDIRECT("D"&ROW(3:3)) would return the value contained in D3 As you copy down, the formula would alter to 4, 5 etc. represent D4, D5 etc. -- Regards R...

changing the cell information #2
Hi I have files I tried to change the cell information to another cel that have to be the blank for a row that contains director name in cel A and for the movie titles I have to have director names instead of th title names.Please help me, the data in cell B sholuld have to be, A 1 D:B.Jane 2 T:Back to the future 3 T:Aliens 4 T:X-files 5 D:Adam Mathew 6 T:Core 7 T:Titanic B 1 (empty) 2 D:B.Jane 3 D:B.Jane 4 D:B.Jane 5 (empty) 6 D:Adam Mathew 7 D:Adam Mathew thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Every cell is highlighted
This is a new one for me. Afer opening up Excel '98 and go to a cell, every cell is highlighted when I move the mouse. I can not put any information in any cell. The only way to quit Excel is control, alt, delete and then it gives me "can not quit excel". It does though after a while. Wherever I move the mouse, the cells are highlighted. What gives? Thanks f8 key -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "5hulses" <5hulses@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B8F2E7E-8957-4B26-B64B-AEC88B6099BE@microsoft.com... > This is a new...

cell looses name after sorting
Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000: in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the values in these cells are used in other sheets. the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other sheets get messed up! How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute? thankx in advance, Jim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@exc...

Custom cell formatting
I need to create a custom format for a series of cells that will begin like this. I can't figure out what the code character is fora volitile potentially alpha character. Can anyone help me?? -Monica, Dallas 000000 000001 000002 .... 000009 00000A 00000B 000010 000011 ...... Monica something like this might work for you but you'll need to put all the leading digits in for the entry with the alpha character Regards Trevor "MDavison" <davison@fr.com> wrote in message news:#SD0tUzTEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I need to create a custom format for a series ...

Can the column index in a cell address be made variable?
Hi, To refer to a cell with a variable row number, we can just code it as, for example, Dim i As Interger i=234 Range("A" & i).Select To refer to a cell with a variable column index, it seems not that easy because the column index must be explicitly specified in a cell address. So, if I want to go to the j th column on the 2nd row or j columns to the right of cell AA3, is there a quick and easy way to do it? Thank you in advance. David You may be able to use R1C1 terminology, but you'll need to get someone else to help from here. "cyberdude" <honc...

Not allow entering repeated references in a column
Frank, If you don�t mind ... I will send it :) . As I don�t know your e-mail, I will give mine, which is ssouritinha@sapo.pt Just send your e-mail to my e-mail box and I will send the file. Thanks, Ritinh -- ritinh ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ritinha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1566 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27195 ...

show another column when hovering on a point in a chart
Is it possible to show another column when you hover on a point? I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point, and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point. thanks, Wei ...

How do I get text to copy from one cell to another ?
Type = in the target cell. MouseClick the cell containing text. Pres Enter key -- Brian ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BrianB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27034 ...

Highlighted Cell
Hi all If I highlight A1 is there a way to have the cell fill colour yellow, So I can see where I am better, when I move to say A8 etc. A1 go's back to its normal colour and the new cell is yellow. Thanks in advance Dave See if this helps: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Dave" <tuco@tuco.karoo.co.uk> wrote in messag...

Where did my file and edit category button go?
Go to Tools > Customize > Commands Tab > Categories > Built-in Menus and drag the two missing commands to your toolbar. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "JStud" <JStud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9CDB953A-263A-4DC6-B95C-64B25D93176F@microsoft.com... > ...

OWA & "User must change password at next logon"
Current Environment: Running EX2K3(SP2), and using OWA as the ONLY option to get e-mail; using certificates (https:\\owa.domain.com\exchange) & forms based Authentication. Problem: I create a NEW user in AD; e-mail enable it, and select "User must change password at next logon". Now when the user tries to log in (VIA OWA) s/he is not prompted to change the password / it won't even log them in. It use to work with our old exchange 2000 environment, where it gave them the opportunity to change the password at sign on. Answer: ? There is one property in MetaBase: ...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

HOW DO I COPY FORMULA WITHOUT CHANGING CELL REFERENCE
My cell c1 contains the formula b1-a1.when i copy this formula to cells d1 and e1 the cells d1 and e1 have the following formula : d1=c1-b1 e1=d1-c1 but i want the following d1 should be b2-a2 and e2 should be b3-a3 how do i do this? One way... In C1 enter & copy across: =INDEX($A:$A,COLUMN()-COLUMN($C$1)+1)-INDEX($B:$B,COLUMN()-COLUMN($C$1)+1) anantth wrote: > My cell c1 contains the formula b1-a1.when i copy this formula to cells d1 > and e1 the cells d1 and e1 have the following formula : > d1=c1-b1 > e1=d1-c1 > > but i want the following > d1 should be b2-...

Column comparing
I am trying to compare 2 columns of numbers so that I can identify and delete numbers no longer required. Can anyone help me find a formula for this please? Many thanks DT Check your earlier post. Dave T wrote: > > I am trying to compare 2 columns of numbers so that I can identify and > delete numbers no longer required. Can anyone help me find a formula for > this please? > > Many thanks > DT -- Dave Peterson ...

Hyper link one column to another
I would like to have my columns hyper link one another. For example: Click on B2 would take you to N2, and vice-versa. Click on C2 would take you to O2... and so on through column j linked to V. Is this possible without having to make the link for each cell? This is a timesheet template and the columns b though J are the hours and N through V are the text comments for those hours. When I copy the template to a new sheet, there will be no data in any column. I would like to be able to enter an amount or formula (=end-start) for time spent and then be able to click on that cell and hyperlin...

Prevent Hidden Column data from being copied/pasted?
A student came up with a question that I haven't been able to figure out yet in a recent Excel class. They are hiding a column and protecting the worksheet in the correct manner. They want to allow some users to access and enter information in some cells. They do not want the users to be able to copy and paste the information from the hidden column. The question is how can this be prevented? For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10. Any suggestions wou...

find match then change cell value

Insert new row as cell contents change
Insert new row as cell contents change. After importing data I have a spread sheet with a column that contains a series of alpha numeric characters. At various random intervals in this column the contents change. EG rows 1 to 4 could contain ABC, then rows 5 to 15 could become 222. I am looking for a method to insert a blank row automatically between the rows were the contents change. Many Thanks Geo George If you are familiar with VBA the code below will do what you want. Preselect the column of data first Sub InsertRowAfterValueChange() Dim myCell As Range Dim sCurrVal As String ...