Formula Based on Multiple Sheets

I have a workbook with a summary sheet for 25 other sheets. On these 25
sheets there is a cell that is the same cell on every sheet, but may contain
different values based on formulas within the specific sheet.
In other words, cell D17 on sheet '1' will be different from D17 on any
other sheet.

On the summary sheet row 1 would refer to sheet 1. I need the cells in row 1
of the summary sheet to look for specific values in a specific cell on sheet
1 and simply copy the value.
When I simply enter ='1'D17 it works, But when I try to copy that formula
down the column it comes out in row 2 as '1'D18 instead of '2'D17.

I either need a formula that will reference the proper sheet or find a way
to enter the formulas in the first row and be able to copy them all the way
down and only change the sheet number, NOT the cell number.

I hope I have provided enough information.

Try this...

Assume you enter the first formula in cell A1:

=INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!D17")

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Neil M" <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a workbook with a summary sheet for 25 other sheets. On these 25
> sheets there is a cell that is the same cell on every sheet, but may
> contain
> different values based on formulas within the specific sheet.
> In other words, cell D17 on sheet '1' will be different from D17 on any
> other sheet.
>
> On the summary sheet row 1 would refer to sheet 1. I need the cells in row
> 1
> of the summary sheet to look for specific values in a specific cell on
> sheet
> 1 and simply copy the value.
> When I simply enter ='1'D17 it works, But when I try to copy that formula
> down the column it comes out in row 2 as '1'D18 instead of '2'D17.
>
> I either need a formula that will reference the proper sheet or find a way
> to enter the formulas in the first row and be able to copy them all the
> way
> down and only change the sheet number, NOT the cell number.
>
> I hope I have provided enough information.

That didn't really do anything. Maybe if I gave exact sheet numbers/names and
the cell numbers.

On sheet 'Master Totals' row 4 represents totals from sheet '1'

B4 should equal cell i2 on sheet '1'
C4 should equal cell Q14 on sheet '1'
D4 should equal cell Q16 on sheet '1'
E4should equal cell Q7 on sheet '1'
F4 should equal cell Q21 on sheet '1'
G4 should equal cell Q22 on sheet '1'
H4 should equal cell Q23 on sheet '1'

Once I get that row completed I want to drag and copy down the formulas so
that row 5 equals the exact same cells on sheet '2'. row 6 on sheet '3' and
so on.

I don't mind having to do one column at a time. Right now I am entering them
one formula per cell at a time.

"T. Valko" wrote:

> Try this...
>
> Assume you enter the first formula in cell A1:
>
> =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!D17")
>
> Copy down as needed.
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "Neil M" <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a workbook with a summary sheet for 25 other sheets. On these 25
> > sheets there is a cell that is the same cell on every sheet, but may
> > contain
> > different values based on formulas within the specific sheet.
> > In other words, cell D17 on sheet '1' will be different from D17 on any
> > other sheet.
> >
> > On the summary sheet row 1 would refer to sheet 1. I need the cells in row
> > 1
> > of the summary sheet to look for specific values in a specific cell on
> > sheet
> > 1 and simply copy the value.
> > When I simply enter ='1'D17 it works, But when I try to copy that formula
> > down the column it comes out in row 2 as '1'D18 instead of '2'D17.
> >
> > I either need a formula that will reference the proper sheet or find a way
> > to enter the formulas in the first row and be able to copy them all the
> > way
> > down and only change the sheet number, NOT the cell number.
> >
> > I hope I have provided enough information.
>

> .

>B4 should equal cell i2 on sheet '1'
>C4 should equal cell Q14 on sheet '1'
>D4 should equal cell Q16 on sheet '1'
>E4should equal cell Q7 on sheet '1'
>F4 should equal cell Q21 on sheet '1'
>G4 should equal cell Q22 on sheet '1'
>H4 should equal cell Q23 on sheet '1'

Ok, since there's no pattern to the cells being referenced then you'll have
to enter an individual formula for each of those:

B4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(B$4:B4)&"'!I2")
C4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(C$4:C4)&"'!Q14")
D4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(D$4:D4)&"'!Q16")
E4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(E$4:E4)&"'!Q7")
F4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(F$4:F4)&"'!Q21")
G4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(G$4:G4)&"'!Q22")
H4: =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(H$4:H4)&"'!Q23")

Then, select B4:H4 and copy down as needed.

--

> That didn't really do anything. Maybe if I gave exact sheet numbers/names
> and
> the cell numbers.
>
> On sheet 'Master Totals' row 4 represents totals from sheet '1'
>
> B4 should equal cell i2 on sheet '1'
> C4 should equal cell Q14 on sheet '1'
> D4 should equal cell Q16 on sheet '1'
> E4should equal cell Q7 on sheet '1'
> F4 should equal cell Q21 on sheet '1'
> G4 should equal cell Q22 on sheet '1'
> H4 should equal cell Q23 on sheet '1'
>
> Once I get that row completed I want to drag and copy down the formulas so
> that row 5 equals the exact same cells on sheet '2'. row 6 on sheet '3'
> and
> so on.
>
> I don't mind having to do one column at a time. Right now I am entering
> them
> one formula per cell at a time.
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> Try this...
>>
>> Assume you enter the first formula in cell A1:
>>
>> =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!D17")
>>
>> Copy down as needed.
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Neil M" <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a workbook with a summary sheet for 25 other sheets. On these 25
>> > sheets there is a cell that is the same cell on every sheet, but may
>> > contain
>> > different values based on formulas within the specific sheet.
>> > In other words, cell D17 on sheet '1' will be different from D17 on any
>> > other sheet.
>> >
>> > On the summary sheet row 1 would refer to sheet 1. I need the cells in
>> > row
>> > 1
>> > of the summary sheet to look for specific values in a specific cell on
>> > sheet
>> > 1 and simply copy the value.
>> > When I simply enter ='1'D17 it works, But when I try to copy that
>> > formula
>> > down the column it comes out in row 2 as '1'D18 instead of '2'D17.
>> >
>> > I either need a formula that will reference the proper sheet or find a
>> > way
>> > to enter the formulas in the first row and be able to copy them all the
>> > way
>> > down and only change the sheet number, NOT the cell number.
>> >
>> > I hope I have provided enough information.
>>

>> .

In B4 enter  =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!I2")

In C4 enter  =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!Q14")

Changing to  Q16, Q7 as you enter your formulas one at a time across to H4

When that is done, select B4:H4 and simply drag/copy down as far as you
need.

The "ROWS" function will change the sheet names to 2, 3, 4 etc. and the cell
references will rermain fixed.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:30:01 -0800, Neil M <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote:

>That didn't really do anything. Maybe if I gave exact sheet numbers/names and
>the cell numbers.
>
>On sheet 'Master Totals' row 4 represents totals from sheet '1'
>
>B4 should equal cell i2 on sheet '1'
>C4 should equal cell Q14 on sheet '1'
>D4 should equal cell Q16 on sheet '1'
>E4should equal cell Q7 on sheet '1'
>F4 should equal cell Q21 on sheet '1'
>G4 should equal cell Q22 on sheet '1'
>H4 should equal cell Q23 on sheet '1'
>
>Once I get that row completed I want to drag and copy down the formulas so
>that row 5 equals the exact same cells on sheet '2'. row 6 on sheet '3' and
>so on.
>
>I don't mind having to do one column at a time. Right now I am entering them
>one formula per cell at a time.
>
>"T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> Try this...
>>
>> Assume you enter the first formula in cell A1:
>>
>> =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!D17")
>>
>> Copy down as needed.
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Neil M" <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a workbook with a summary sheet for 25 other sheets. On these 25
>> > sheets there is a cell that is the same cell on every sheet, but may
>> > contain
>> > different values based on formulas within the specific sheet.
>> > In other words, cell D17 on sheet '1' will be different from D17 on any
>> > other sheet.
>> >
>> > On the summary sheet row 1 would refer to sheet 1. I need the cells in row
>> > 1
>> > of the summary sheet to look for specific values in a specific cell on
>> > sheet
>> > 1 and simply copy the value.
>> > When I simply enter ='1'D17 it works, But when I try to copy that formula
>> > down the column it comes out in row 2 as '1'D18 instead of '2'D17.
>> >
>> > I either need a formula that will reference the proper sheet or find a way
>> > to enter the formulas in the first row and be able to copy them all the
>> > way
>> > down and only change the sheet number, NOT the cell number.
>> >
>> > I hope I have provided enough information.
>>

>> .

0
Gord
12/12/2009 11:23:22 PM
In the words of Jeff Spikoli.....

AWESOME! TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!

Thank you all so very much.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> In B4 enter  =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!I2")
>
> In C4 enter  =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!Q14")
>
> Changing to  Q16, Q7 as you enter your formulas one at a time across to H4
>
> When that is done, select B4:H4 and simply drag/copy down as far as you
> need.
>
> The "ROWS" function will change the sheet names to 2, 3, 4 etc. and the cell
> references will rermain fixed.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

> On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:30:01 -0800, Neil M <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >That didn't really do anything. Maybe if I gave exact sheet numbers/names and
> >the cell numbers.
> >
> >On sheet 'Master Totals' row 4 represents totals from sheet '1'
> >
> >B4 should equal cell i2 on sheet '1'
> >C4 should equal cell Q14 on sheet '1'
> >D4 should equal cell Q16 on sheet '1'
> >E4should equal cell Q7 on sheet '1'
> >F4 should equal cell Q21 on sheet '1'
> >G4 should equal cell Q22 on sheet '1'
> >H4 should equal cell Q23 on sheet '1'
> >
> >Once I get that row completed I want to drag and copy down the formulas so
> >that row 5 equals the exact same cells on sheet '2'. row 6 on sheet '3' and
> >so on.
> >
> >I don't mind having to do one column at a time. Right now I am entering them
> >one formula per cell at a time.
> >
> >"T. Valko" wrote:
> >
> >> Try this...
> >>
> >> Assume you enter the first formula in cell A1:
> >>
> >> =INDIRECT("'"&ROWS(A$1:A1)&"'!D17")
> >>
> >> Copy down as needed.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Biff
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
> >>

> >> "Neil M" <neilmonkman@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>

> .

SQL Statement to Update ReorderPoint based on QTY Sold During time
I am using RMS 1.3 with SQL 2005 SQL Statement to Update ReorderPoint based on QTY Sold During certin time frame. 2weeks, 3weeks, Month, 2 Month We sell unique products where reorder level changes every 2-3 months. We want to run a SQL query and update item table with ReorderPoint and ReorderQTY based on QTY sold during specific period. Please review this SQL Statement SELECT ItemLookupCode, ReorderPoint, SUM(lastweek.Quantity) as LastWeek, SUM(lastqy.Quantity) as LastQY FROM Item LEFT JOIN TransactionEntry l...

pivottable formula
I have the below daily data grouped by month. I have the actual total transmitted and suppressed records. Using the same fields I have the daily avg transmitted and suppressed records. Days is the count of day in each month (excludeing weekends). See data below: Avg Dly Avg Dly Date Trnsmttd Suppressed Trnsmttd Suppressed Days Jul 97,282 65,811 6,080 5,062 16 Aug 125,339 126,538 6,267 6,327 20 Sep 129,856 109,692 6,184 5,223 21 Oct 136,805 151...

Multiple Instances of Outlook 2002 opening
Is anyone aware why Outlook is suddently allowing multiple instances to open on my computer? In the past, when Outlook was open on my machine, if I treid to open it again it would just revert to the already opened version. NOW, when I have Outlook already opened and try to launch it again, it allows a 2nd, 3rd, etc instance to open. Anyone have any idea if this matters? and how I can prevent it from happening? Please let me know. Thanks! This is a bug that I have encountered too and not sure how to fix it. anyone else have any insight? >-----Original Message----- >Is anyone aw...

Multiple SMTP connectors and routing for domains
I have Exchange 2003 with a few SMTP connectors. One for (Address Space) domain1.com, domain2.com and it forwards to a bridgehead for these domains. Another is for general SMTP traffic for the internet with an address space of * and uses DNS for delivery. Both with a cost of 1. When I watch my queues, I see mail for domain1.com and domain2.com going to the general SMTP connector with an address space of * and using DNS for delivery. It's not the correct one for those domains. They both use the same default SMTP Virtual Server. How do I make sure the mail for the connectors that rou...

plotting multiple x y data on same graph
my friend is pulling his hair out trying to plot something for his engineering class and i figured id ask on the board.. he has a large amount of data, grouped in twos. theres about ten sets of two. each set he wants plotted as x and y respectively, but all on the same line graphy. I think he laid it out wrongly but he w3ont hear any of it and its been a few years since i was using excel myself. so how does one plot it out as thus on the same graph. data looks something like this x y x y x y # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # etc thanks If we a...

"Automatically update e-mail addresses based on recipient policy"
Hello, Can someone please tell me How I can disable/enable the "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on recipient policy" on all users or contacts? We had a RUS issue and manually unchecked the box, now need put it back, really don't want to do that one by one for over 900 users. thanks a lot! CJ Hi, This script clear the contents os "msExchPoliciesExcluded" property for all AD. This set the checkbox ON. 1 - Change the domain name at line 07. 2 - Please try in lab first !!!! ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Const ADS_PROPERTY_CLEAR = 1 ...

Path in formula
Hello, I discovered something quite disturbing about the way Excel handles paths in formulas. I have a few directories/sub-directories with Excel files in them, with external links in formulas between them. If I move them to another place : - the "external links" remain correct for the formulas containing paths that go "down" (= pointing to sub-directories) - all external links pointing "up" (to the directory above the file) are broken !!! How can I fix that ?!? Thanks ! "myname" <lslfkjs@sdfmsflmk.com> wrote in message news:43cbf3cf$0$196...

Excel crashes when I move sheets
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I am trying to move or copy a sheet from one excel workbook to another one. Each time I try and do this, Excel crashes. What can I do to avoid this? In article <ee9884a.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, stephatskyling@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) > Processor: Power PC > > I am trying to move or copy a sheet from one excel workbook to another one. > Each time I try and do this, Excel crashes. What can I do to avoid this? Can you give a little m...

Time Sheet
I have a time sheet with four fields: Time In (C2), Lunch Out (D2), Lunch In (E2), Time Out (F2) I'm trying to create a formula in cell G2 to calculate the regular hours and another formula in H2 for the overtime hours, but have been unsuccessful. Current fields are formatted as Number | Custom | h:mm AM/PM for C2 thru F2 and are formatted as Number | Custom | h:mm for G2 and H2. Can anyone help me. Hi, Look into CPearson Web it has all the working with overtime Hs http://www.cpearson.com/excel/overtime.htm "Kathy" wrote: > I have a time sheet wi...

Need to add range reference to existing formulas
I have two formulas I need to add range references to. An Array {=SUM(IF(H7:H42=R53,P7:P42))} A Formula =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(R53,H7:H42,0)),"",INDEX(G7:G42,MATCH(R53,H7:H42,0))) In the first, I need the ranges to be H7:H42 and AQ7:AQ45, P7:P42 and AY7:AY45. In the second, I need the ranges to be H7:H42 and AQ7:AQ45, G7:G42 and AP7:AP4 Any help would be appreciated, JSJenn --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Ranges in arrays have to be the same number of cells. 7 to 42 AND 7 TO 45 do not meet this critiera. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy jsjenn > <<jsjenn.10...

How do I choose multiple values in a drop down box?
I'm hoping to create drop down boxes in a spreadsheet that can have multiple values. I haven't been able to make this work and am wondering if it's even possible. Any help would be great, thanks! You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists. There are instructions in Excel's help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Kristy wrote: > I'm hoping to create drop down boxes in a spreadsheet that can have multiple > values. I haven't been able to make this work and am wondering if it's even > possible. > > Any hel...

Multiple id problem
Hello. I have an instance that I'd like some input-suggestions on if anyone would be so kind. We have a vendor table with each vendor ID being unique. One problem is, some vendor numbers have changed so there is a current # and an old #. Because of the multiple vendor #s the primary key is an auto #. The main dilemma I'm having with the design is that at least one vendor (maybe a few more but I'm not sure yet) has two old numbers and one new/current #. There are hundreds upon hundreds of vendors, and I'm wondering if a third vendor # field is the way to go. It see...

Cann't Copy From Generated Excel Sheet in GP10 Via Citrix
Hi all, I'm facing a problem in Citrix with GP10.. That is.. when I log in GP10 as a Citrix client via web interface then export some smartlist favorite from GP to excel sheet I can't do copy from the generated excel sheet to a new excel sheet on my local machine while i don't face this problem when I login as a terminal sevice client!! Is that related to some policies in Citrix with GP10 or there are some configurations in Citrix or GP10 must be modified to allow copy and paste?!!!! Plz help I tried many times but couldn't solve this matter! Any one hear me? Have you t...

Average with multiple conditions
I'm trying to calcluate the average where multiple conditions have to be met. I've tried a couple of different formulas based on other postings, but I continue to get "0". I'm trying to calculate the average of months open (Column F) if the following conditions apply: Date closed is >= A1 Date closed <=B1 Bucket = "12 Month" Column D Column E Column F Date Closed Bucket Months Open 1/5/2006 12 Month 11.2 1/1/2004 24 Month 16 2/1/2006 48 Month 52 2/5/2006 12...

How do I prevent the wrong entry in a field with multiple conditio
I have a form with a sequence of the same blank fields, which the user fills from another form control. The idea is that they select what they consider is the correct address, and the control sends the data to the next available empty field on the Target Form. All works well; except for when the user selects the incorrect entry, the action still takes place, and the incorect entry is placed in the empty field, and due to the nature of the action, the sequence moves to the next available empty field. I need a way of dealing with the incorrect entry. What I want to happen is nothing....

Need help with formula!!!!
A B 9 Right ear % =VLOOKUP($F$4,Sheet2!A2:B65,2) 10 Left ear % =VLOOKUP($F$5,Sheet2!A3:B66,2) 11 Enter lesser %: =IF(B9>B10,B10,B9) 12 Enter greater %: =IF(B10>B9,B10,B9) 13 Bilateral Hearing Loss: =(((B12*5)+B13)/6)/100 This formula calcualtes the % of hearing loss in the right ear and the left ear then uses a formula to calculate the % of total bilatearl hearing loss. The formula in B13 multiplies the lesser % of the...

let me make multiple bar stack graphs in excel
I currently use Excel 2003 and would like to suggest a new choice for a chart display. I would like compare data across years by looking at one stacked bar next to another, i.e. to compare TWO or more stacked bars to each other. The example is that I'm trying to display the number of positive results out of the number of tests completed by month over time. I envision one stacked bar (# positives w/in total tests performed) for month A in year 1 directly next to a second stacked bar (# positives w/in total tests performed) for month A in year 2, a second set of stacked bars for mo...

Return a date range based on today's date
I need to build a query (to be used for eternity) to return records for dates between 01 July (the year prior) and 30 Jun (the current year) based on the date when the query is run. Is this possible? Take a look at the DateSerial() function in Access HELP. It should provide you the mechanism for doing what you're describing. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. Any code o...

Opening a sheet
When I open up a named sheet sometimes it opens and then closes imediately shutting down excel all together and then restarting. What is the problem? It doesn't happen all the time only intermitantly. Eric ...

Using formatted cells in formulas
I have been provided a worksheet with a list of 5-digit part numbers that the creator of the worksheet formatted as zip code to preserve leading zeros. I need to use these cells in a formula which uses the "&" operator to tack on a suffix. For example: Original part number cell A1 = 2345 (with zip code formatting displays as 02345) I need cell A2 to be 02345XX, so I'm using the following formula: A1&"XX". Problem is, when I do this, Excel drops the leading zero and displays 2345XX. Is there a way to have Excel use the formatted display string for cell A1 inst...

formula for a column #2
I'm working on a daily worksheet where all the values for a column will be the same ex. L2/C2, L3/C3, L4/C4 How do I set it up? Assuming the column you want to compute the values is in say, col M Put in M2: =IF(C2=0,"",L2/C2) and press ENTER Point the cursor to the bottom right corner of M2 (cursor will turn into a "black cross") Drag to fill as far down as required .. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "msdobe" <msdobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:529B3703-9D9A-4560-80D...

Can I alphabetize by sheet name in an excel workbook?
I have a lot of sheets in my workbook. I would like to alphabetize the sheets by name. Is that possible? Thanks! Take a look here: http://cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm In article <A991DEB6-5907-45B1-B1C2-F02C77139677@microsoft.com>, "sunrosemom" <sunrosemom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a lot of sheets in my workbook. I would like to alphabetize the > sheets by name. Is that possible? ...

Print Outlook Calendar with an Excel form on back of same sheet
I work for a large company where all employees print two forms everyday. One is their Outlook calendar and the other is an Excel Form used to collect data during the completion of a daily process throughout the day. I would like to automate the printing of these two forms by combining them into a single print function with the output resulting in their Outlook Calendar Daily View on the front and the data collection Form on the back of a single sheet. I've tried exporting my calendar data into a sheet in the Excel workbook, but formatting the schedule data to look graphi...

IIF / OR
I want the OnPrint of a report to check three fields and run code if any ONE of the conditions is met: Iif ([MyTextOne]=1 OR [MyTextTwo]=2 OR [MyTextThree]=3) Then RunSomeCode Else RunOtherCode I thought of using Select Case and calling procedures as each condition is met: Select Case Me![MyTextOne] Case is = 1 Call Check2 Case else Stop End Select Check2 () Select Case Me![MyTextTwo] Case is = 2 Call Check3 Case else Stop End select Check3 () and so on......... It will work, but gets a bit too long as the test conditions increase. It gets just as long with nested select case or nest...

How do I set up a formula to flag up a future expiry date say 60 d
excel 2003 How do I set up a formula to flag up a future expiry date of say 60 days Conditional formatting. Select the cells, say A1:A10 Menu Format>Conditional Formatting Change Condition1 to Formula Is Add a formula of =A1=TODAY()+60 Select the pattern tab, choose a colour exit out -- HTH RP "Terrano2" <Terrano2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88511434-A400-45C7-A25C-5F5BFF06816E@microsoft.com... > excel 2003 > How do I set up a formula to flag up a future expiry date of say 60 days ...