Finding values in different rows/columns

This should be simple, but I'm lost. To greatly simplify my sheets:
1
	11	12	13	14	15
	21	22	23	24	25
	31	32	33	34	35
	41	42	43	44	45
2
	11	12	13	14	15
	21	22	23	24	25
	31	32	33	34	35
	41	42	43	44	45
I want to do a VLOOKUP(1,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in D4, or
VLOOKUP(2,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in C9. In other words, find my
A cell reference and return the value in a different row/column from that.

Another question: When I move a cell (cell1) to another cell (cell2) a cell
(cell3) that references cell1 moves its reference from cell1 to cell2.  Is
there any way to anchor cell3's reference to cell1 without using the INDIRECT
function? INDIRECT does the job, but does not allow copying dynamically, i.e.
it retains the same cell's reference to the cell being copied to, maybe
because the quotations treat it as text?

It seems nobody really understood what you were trying to do.
If the 1 and the 2 are like table headers, it is going to be very hard to
get the answer
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"CasaJay" <CasaJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This should be simple, but I'm lost. To greatly simplify my sheets:
> 1
> 11 12 13 14 15
> 21 22 23 24 25
> 31 32 33 34 35
> 41 42 43 44 45
> 2
> 11 12 13 14 15
> 21 22 23 24 25
> 31 32 33 34 35
> 41 42 43 44 45
> I want to do a VLOOKUP(1,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in D4, or
> VLOOKUP(2,A1:A10,1,false) and return the value in C9. In other words, find
> my
> A cell reference and return the value in a different row/column from that.
>
> Another question: When I move a cell (cell1) to another cell (cell2) a
> cell
> (cell3) that references cell1 moves its reference from cell1 to cell2.  Is
> there any way to anchor cell3's reference to cell1 without using the
> INDIRECT
> function? INDIRECT does the job, but does not allow copying dynamically,
> i.e.
> it retains the same cell's reference to the cell being copied to, maybe
> because the quotations treat it as text?

0
Bernard

update column

Summing Alternate Rows
We have spreadsheets with many rows and need to sum alternate rows. Is there a way to do this without entering a formula using the number of each row? -- KarenQ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KarenQ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19608 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395115 Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18),2)=1),$A$1:$A$18) That formula sums odd-row values in the range A1:A18. To sum even-row values the formula is: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18...

open two different Access reports

visual basic

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

IsOutLookClient() returns wrong value

Mailboxsize is different
hi! i've got a crazy problem. when you look at the mailboxes in the exchange system manager, then you see, e.g. user xy with 220 mb mailboxsize. but when you look at the outlook, then the mailbox size is only 150 mb. but there are no filters or something else activated. and the problem is on the local outlook and on the terminalserver outlook. i hope someone has a solution about my problem. thanks. stefan ...

Value is BLANK

find instance of IE for server socket in activex component
Hi I have an activex component that has a server socket (using casyncsocket class) ..The problem is that when I have multiple instances of the IE open only the first instance (created first) recieves the messages the rest do not recieve the message. Is there a way to solve this problem .(i want the server send the reply to that instance of ie that sent the message) .Do I need to pass something like a pointer of hte javascript object .If so how Thanks When you say "server socket", that suggests a socket that does a Listen followed by an Accept. Otherwise it is a client socke...

find data and autopaste when found

How to place a stable title row?
Hi there! For a scientific analyse I need to create an Excel table with more than 1.000 rows content. Now, how can I create a title row that doesn't scroll with the rest of the content, so one that is always visible at the top, while you scroll up and down the rest of the content. I hope that's possible like this! Otherwise, it will be pretty difficult to enter the data into the correct (of about 15) column. Thanks for your help in advance! One way: Assuming headers are in row1, Select A2. Click Window > Freeze pane This freezes the 1st row, so it always remains in view w...

Column searching problem
I have a worksheet called "net" containing the following: NETWORK AVG MIN MAX STD SAMPLES ABC 17.17 16.26 17.71 0.4469 19 CBS 12.99 11.69 14.56 0.6524 30 NBC 15.39 14.08 16.70 0.7323 38 NBC* 15.12 14.08 15.99 0.4910 31 Fox 10.63 9.07 12.09 0.9374 8 HBO 10.94 9.07 13.22 1.2507 19 Showtime 11.52 6.84 13.23 1.9017 11 HDNet 18.14 14.22 18.85 1.1619 14 HDNet* 18.45 18.13 18.85 0.2847 13 HDNet-Movies 1...