Find Function behaving differently in different spreadsheets

Excel 2003 - I have a number of spreadsheets that are set up in a similar
fashion and are used basically as databases. I use the Ctrl+F function alot
to search for the correct data. The problem I am having is the the Ctrl+F
function. Some of them I can do a search and will find the data with no
issues, while other spreadsheets I have to change "Look in:" to Values from
Formulas even though the spreadsheets are set up in the same fashion with the
same sort of data in each column. Why is this? And how do I fix it? Can I set
the Ctrl+F function to look in values as a default?

The FIND function is one of the odd ducks in Excel. It seems to have a
"memory" for the advanced parameters that were last used.

Even when using VBA to execute the FIND, any parameters you do not
specifically set will use the settings from the last time the search was
conducted.

This means that unless you set some macro to do a "default" FIND function
when you first open Excel, no telling what the settings are.

For me, I just always remember to set the advanced options.
--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB
(www.MadRocketScientist.com)

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

"Anchor" wrote:

> Excel 2003 - I have a number of spreadsheets that are set up in a similar
> fashion and are used basically as databases. I use the Ctrl+F function alot
> to search for the correct data. The problem I am having is the the Ctrl+F
> function. Some of them I can do a search and will find the data with no
> issues, while other spreadsheets I have to change "Look in:" to Values from
> Formulas even though the spreadsheets are set up in the same fashion with the
> same sort of data in each column. Why is this? And how do I fix it? Can I set
> the Ctrl+F function to look in values as a default?

why is my spreadsheet and toolbar locked
i cant work or type nothing in any cel or Hi is the worksheet/workbook protected. Do you receive an error message? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mogila wrote: > i cant work or type nothing in any cel or ...

Macro help
Hi all I've got this spreadsheet: A B C D E 1 Flight To DepartingBoarding Status 2 NC714 GRANITES 04:00 03:45 Check In 3 NC760 MURRIN MURRIN 15:15 15:00 Boarding 4 NC700 GOLDEN GROVE 16:00 15:45 Delayed 5 NC704 BARIMUNYA 15:00 14:45 Closed Hope that looks ok... Anyway, if the cell selected is on line 3 for example, i want to be able to make a macro that changes the value of E3 to "Delayed" or "Closed" etc etc.... Then when i'm on line 5, do the same thing for cell E5 I recored a macro, but it only ever changed the same cell, that i changed when i r...

User defined functions aware of what cell they are placed in?
Hi, I would like to make a user defined function which needs to know in what cell and what worksheet it is placed in. I will be using this UDF in multiple cells on multiple worksheets. I originally just passed the cell row and column as parameters to the UDF however this ended up updating all worksheets and not just the one the UDF was on. Is there any way to do this? Option Explicit function myfunct(something as somethingelse) as something msgbox application.caller.address & vblf _ & application.caller.parent.name & vblf _ & application.caller.pare...

Finding an asterisk
How can I search/find an asterisk in a cell? I've tried and the find dialog box locates cells with any text. I'm trying to find a cell that contains three asteriskx. Hi Gary, Try ~* HTH Regards, Howard "Gary Callahan" <garycallahan@bmwconcord.com> wrote in message news:049201c3928f$379f9610$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How can I search/find an asterisk in a cell? I've tried > and the find dialog box locates cells with any text. I'm > trying to find a cell that contains three asteriskx. Precede the * in the Find box with a tilde, eg ~* -- Regards...

Outlook cannot find Exchange Server #2
For some reason, out of the blue, I am no longer able to connect (via dialup) to our exchange server using outlook 2000. I Can check e-mail from another computer so I know there is nothing wrong with the e-mail or the dialup connection. I am running Windows 2k. Also, I cannot use the "Check Name" option. Here is the error message that I receive: The name could not be resolved. the microsoft exchange address book was unable to log on to the microsoft exchange server computer. Contact your system administrator if the problem persists. Any ideas? When you are dialed in, can...

Looking for an excel function which can mirror opposite the data
Dear sir, There are 2 data sets is assumed running in A1 down, viz.: From A1 down to A10, are showing a set of number: from 1 to 10 In the cell from B1 to B10, are showing from 10 to 1, which is decreasing from 10 to 1. My question: I want to know is there any excel formula which I can place in B1 and pick A10's number; B2 pick A9's number and etc. I know there is an easy way to do it, just type "=A10" in the cell of B1, but it is quite difficult to do it when I have more than 200 number, e.g. A1 to A200. Thanks for your advice, Wilchong -- Message posted via OfficeKB...

Macros behave differnet when invoked by different methods
Using XL 2003, i have recorded several macros. For example, i recorded one that changes the "Move selection after Enter", to toggle the selection either Up or Right. I created an icon, using the letter "Z" to invoke it. When I click on the icon, the press Enter, the selection will move as required. But, if i use Alt Z to invoke the macro, then i have to press Enter 2 times. I have noticed this with other macros, that when invoked using Alt + letter, then an extra Enter is required. How can i eliminate the extra "Enter"? Thanks... Tonso Just a guess....

spreadsheet on web page???
Is it possible to put a section of a spreadsheet on a web page so that it still does all the functions? Or can you just put a pic of a spreadsheet on it? -- CadensDad ------------------------------------------------------------------------ CadensDad's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=17469 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476378 Hello- First, select the range of cells you want to publish. Then go to File>Save as Web Page. Click the option for Selection & check the box for 'Add interactivity'. I...

NTDSUTIL Roles different than shown with LDIFDE
I thought I posted this earlier but can't see it. I am trying to do ADPREP /RODC on a server 2008 box. We have a 2003 Domain with some 2008 Domain Controllers. When I try to run the above it says it can't reach the infrastructure master. Server#2 has all the FSMO roles according to NTDSUTIL and according to ADUC. When running this command "ldifde -f Infra_DomainDNSZones.ldf -d "CN=Infrastructure,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=xxxx,DC=com" -l fSMORoleOwner" it says that the Infrastructure Role is held by Server #1. Why the discrepancy? How to resolve?...

How do I compare data in two different spreadsheets i.e. (column .
How do I compare data in two different spreadsheets i.e. (column 1 against column 1)? Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#InOneNotOther -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "inspector gadget" <inspector gadget@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:63E18069-C328-4EA5-9A2D-94551AD74D7D@microsoft.com... > How do I compare data in two different spreadsheets i.e. (column 1 against > column 1)? ...

Finding duplicate entries in lengthly list of names
_Finding_duplicate_entries_in_list_ --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Check out this site Sherry http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Sherry Kaufman >" <<Sherry.Kaufman.10153u@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Sherry.Kaufman.10153u@excelforum-nospam.com... > _Finding_duplicate_entries_in_list_ > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > Hi maybe you can give some more details. Some possible solutions 1. Assuming your l...

Same app acts differently on another PC
I've got an app (client and DB parts separated) that works good on two client PCs but on any other PC I'm getting message: Error 2501 The OpenForm action was canceled. What should I do? alek_mil On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 05:05:01 -0700, alekm <alekm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: FIrst thing I would check is if all references are found. Code window > Tools > References -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I've got an app (client and DB parts separated) that works good on two client >PCs but on any other PC I'm getting message: Error 2501 The Open...

Help!! Way to find users sending email to large amount of receipients.
Could some one tell me if there is a way in Exchange 2003 to find out what users are sending email to a large amount of recipients? I'm having some serious performance issues and I'm sure it's some one sending email to a large amount of recipients. Thanks, Will ...

=IF(NOT(ISNA(VLOOKUP Function
I am using Excel 2003 I am trying to produce a summary shett from five differnet worksheets. I am using the following function =IF(NOT(ISNA(VLOOKUP(E7,Tests!D1:Tests!S147,18,FALSE))),VLOOKUP(E7,Tests!D1:Tests!S147,18,FALSE),""). It works fine until I reach 18 and above and it returns #REF!. Does this formula not work after 17 or is there another formula that I should be using. Colin Hi, The VLOOKUP() table array cannot span across sheets. Do let us know what you are trying to do? -- Regards, Ashish Mathur Microsoft Excel MVP www.ashishmathur.com ...

Won't Open Spreadsheet
When I double-click on any spreadsheet, excel will open but crash/hang and it won't open the spreadsheet. If I open Excel then choose File->open, the spreadsheet will work fine. I'm using Windows XP Pro and Office XP. Any Ideas? Thanks I just had the same problem. Try tools>options>general and uncheck ignore other applications. That will probably do it. "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:846D9168-C5EC-4DC6-8F14-43E456F83ABC@microsoft.com... > When I double-click on any spreadsheet, excel will open but crash/hang and ...

Printing Parts Of A Spreadsheet
Let's say I have a moderately sized spreadsheet, 100 rows by 24 columns. Let's say that the first five columns contain data that is not going to change (the annual budget). And the next 12 are going to have data put in month by month. And the next seven are going to be summed and processed data from the previous 12 columns. The spreadsheet will then have an entire year's worth of data on a single worksheet. Printing the whole spreadsheet is fine for the accounting department beancounters. But now I want a summary sheet for the suits on mahogany row. Basically what I wan...

Finding data in grouped sheets
When using the 'find' option whilst workbook pages are grouped together I am getting data from the last page first, then the last but one etc. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to change this so that it finds the data in the first possible page, ie it looks at page 3 before page 4 etc? What I am trying to do is set up a spreadsheet which finds the first 'vacancy' in a childrens nursery. As I have set it up at the moment it is finding the last vacancy first! All help greatly received! Thanks in advance. Susie Vaughan This may not quite fit, but you may find it very us...

different budget ID for single account
when calculating the budget for an expense account lets say 111-222-333, is there any way to tell which budget id to use or if both buget id are using for calculating the budget amount. the expense account exists in both budget id. ...

How do I specify text colour in an Excel function
I would like to specify text colour of the output from an if statement You can use conditional formatting to color the text based on the IF condition...but not just with a formula.. If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Wolf" wrote: > I would like to specify text colour of the output from an if statement > I would like to specify text colour of the output from an if statement "Conditional formatting" is one way to alter text color conditionally. I'm unaware of a way to do it using an IF() formula in the cell itself. ...

Setup was unable to find an instance of the Microsoft CRM
I realize that this question has been asked before, i've made sure i've been compliant as the other posts have suggested, although i may have one additional wrinkle that i have seen addressed elsewhere. I may be missing something... My statistics: 1. Win 2K, 2. I am set up as an administrator 3. I have set up the client license 4. I am able to access the web-based client once i disabled the pop-up blocker I can also ping the crm web site 5. I am trying to access the server over a VPN connection rather than connected locally - one thing one post brought up - if i attempt to acc...

Defining same name for cells in different sheets
Does anyone know the answer to this one? I want to give the same range name to the same cell reference in a series of worksheets. I find I can do this by pre-defining all my range names on a "master" worksheet and making several copies of the sheet (try it, it works!) But let's say I have done this, and entered all my data on the sheets I have created, and suddenly realize I need another range name. I haven't found any way to define a new range name and apply it to the same range on several sheets. This is not the same as a 3-D reference, which I tried. (3- d referenci...

how to find the stack memory violation??? Urgent
hi pals, While running my win 32 console application, Global variable becomes NULL at some times, which was already allocated. My application got affected by some memory violation it seems or any other reason for getting such violation.. How to find the stack memory violation? I need your help. Forgive me if this is not a relevant group, please give me appropriate news group for this query. @ Shahul. If the variable is global, then there is no stack involved to store it's content. If you have multiple threads that're accessing your variable then you should pay attention to...

Seek (ADO) finds same absoluteposition for two different indexes
The function below takes a serial number entered in the "Serach" control and then seeks that value in the data table called "PCM Interfaces (Main Table)". If seek does not return EOF then the absolute position is found and then the form is set to show that record. This function is just a form record locator.The problem is that the same AbsolutePosition (1) is found for records 1 and 2, when their respective serial numbers are searched. So the symptoms are that when serial number 1 is searched it locates record 1. When serial number 2 is searched it locates record 1. When se...

Merge/Unmerge feature to not functioning
Software - Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1 I previously merged 4 rows in 4 seperate columns into 4 cells. That is, I created one larger cell comprised of 4 rows in each 1 column, of 4 columns, using Excel's merge feature. I would like to split the merged cells back into their original 4 rows but the merge functionality of the Alignment tab of the Format Cells' dialog box is grayed out. I have searched microsoft help and found an atlernative method for spliting cells - selecting the cell and using the Merge and Center button on the formatting toolbar - but it too is grayed out. I ...

different budget categories for single account
We have two budget ID defined on our GP: Budget10 and Budget10 frx. I need to check the budget amount for the account lets say 11-222-333 account. Which categories should I use or is there any way to tell which categories it is using for budget calculation. The account exists in both budget categories. Not quite sure what you are asking. In what window or report are you checking the Budget amount? Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com get your GPtip42today at www.gp2themax.blogspot.com ...