conditional formatting problem 12-15-09

I have some cells which look like the following:-
(they show three values from three other cells)
either 1, 30, 5
or 1, *, 5 say
where the "*" indicates a particularly large value

Now, I am trying to highlight those cells which contain an "*".
I am using SEARCH("*", A3) where A3 is the cell reference
However, all my cells whether they include an "*" or not are highlighted
What am I missing?

Bob

0
Bob

Generally SEARCH Function will treat the asterisk as Wild Card.  Generally *
is used in Search Function for declaring the cell can consist ANY CHARACTER
and ANY NUMBER OF CHARACTER.  So in this case use Find function.  For making
your result as Boolean ISNUMBER function is used in front of Find Function.

=ISNUMBER(FIND("*",A3))

Place the cursor in A3 cell and extend the selection by holding the shift and
down arrow upto your desired range of A Column, keep in mind that the active
cell should be A3(Active cell will have a white background after selection
also) now goto
Format>>Conditional Formatting>>Formula is>>paste the below formula
=ISNUMBER(FIND("*",A3))
Click Format and set your desired formatting and give ok. That's it.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Bob Matthews" wrote:

> I have some cells which look like the following:-
> (they show three values from three other cells)
> either 1, 30, 5
> or 1, *, 5 say
> where the "*" indicates a particularly large value
>
> Now, I am trying to highlight those cells which contain an "*".
> I am using SEARCH("*", A3) where A3 is the cell reference
> However, all my cells whether they include an "*" or not are highlighted
> What am I missing?
>
> Bob
>

> .

Many thanks

Bob

"Ms-Exl-Learner" <Ms.Exl.Learner@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Generally SEARCH Function will treat the asterisk as Wild Card.  Generally
> *
> is used in Search Function for declaring the cell can consist ANY
> CHARACTER
> and ANY NUMBER OF CHARACTER.  So in this case use Find function.  For
> making
> your result as Boolean ISNUMBER function is used in front of Find
> Function.
>
> =ISNUMBER(FIND("*",A3))
>
> Place the cursor in A3 cell and extend the selection by holding the shift
> and
> down arrow upto your desired range of A Column, keep in mind that the
> active
> cell should be A3(Active cell will have a white background after selection
> also) now goto
> Format>>Conditional Formatting>>Formula is>>paste the below formula
> =ISNUMBER(FIND("*",A3))
> Click Format and set your desired formatting and give ok. That's it.
>
> Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps!
>
> --------------------
> (Ms-Exl-Learner)
> --------------------
>

> "Bob Matthews" wrote:
>
>> I have some cells which look like the following:-
>> (they show three values from three other cells)
>> either 1, 30, 5
>> or 1, *, 5 say
>> where the "*" indicates a particularly large value
>>
>> Now, I am trying to highlight those cells which contain an "*".
>> I am using SEARCH("*", A3) where A3 is the cell reference
>> However, all my cells whether they include an "*" or not are highlighted
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Bob
>>

>> .

0
Bob
12/15/2009 6:13:50 AM
You're Welcome

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Bob Matthews" wrote:

> Many thanks
>
> Bob
>
> "Ms-Exl-Learner" <Ms.Exl.Learner@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Generally SEARCH Function will treat the asterisk as Wild Card.  Generally
> > *
> > is used in Search Function for declaring the cell can consist ANY
> > CHARACTER
> > and ANY NUMBER OF CHARACTER.  So in this case use Find function.  For
> > making
> > your result as Boolean ISNUMBER function is used in front of Find
> > Function.
> >
> > =ISNUMBER(FIND("*",A3))
> >
> > Place the cursor in A3 cell and extend the selection by holding the shift
> > and
> > down arrow upto your desired range of A Column, keep in mind that the
> > active
> > cell should be A3(Active cell will have a white background after selection
> > also) now goto
> > Format>>Conditional Formatting>>Formula is>>paste the below formula
> > =ISNUMBER(FIND("*",A3))
> > Click Format and set your desired formatting and give ok. That's it.
> >
> > Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps!
> >
> > --------------------
> > (Ms-Exl-Learner)
> > --------------------
> >

> > "Bob Matthews" wrote:
> >
> >> I have some cells which look like the following:-
> >> (they show three values from three other cells)
> >> either 1, 30, 5
> >> or 1, *, 5 say
> >> where the "*" indicates a particularly large value
> >>
> >> Now, I am trying to highlight those cells which contain an "*".
> >> I am using SEARCH("*", A3) where A3 is the cell reference
> >> However, all my cells whether they include an "*" or not are highlighted
> >> What am I missing?
> >>
> >> Bob
> >>

> >> .
> >>

> .

=$A3="*"

"Bob Matthews" wrote:

> I have some cells which look like the following:-
> (they show three values from three other cells)
> either 1, 30, 5
> or 1, *, 5 say
> where the "*" indicates a particularly large value
>
> Now, I am trying to highlight those cells which contain an "*".
> I am using SEARCH("*", A3) where A3 is the cell reference
> However, all my cells whether they include an "*" or not are highlighted
> What am I missing?
>
> Bob
>

> .

Problems with creating a newsletter

CSV File Problem

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

Month problem

Rounding Problem

Access 2007 and Vista code problem

Offline folder problems #2

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

OLK 2k7

outlook 2k2 problem

Fractions Number format

Mother of a sumproduct (ish) problem!

Hyperlink problem #3

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Spam is a big big problem
Spam is a big big problem ...

Problem with Database Wizard

Strange problem
We have been rolling out new Windows 7 workstations (all new computers) at work over the last few months and a strange problem has developed. Prior to Windows 7 we were using Windows XP with Office 2007. The problem is, we have a workbook which uses a UserForm for filling in all required information. Prior to rolling out the new Windows 7 workstations, the workbook and UserForm were working flawlessly (for over a year) and they still work flawlessly on the first 3 Windows 7 workstations but on the last 2 workstations we rolled out if you open the UserForm and leave it open for ...

HELP! Outlook POP3 problem(s)

TABSTOP problem
I have a dialog where in depending on the selection from a combo box, the controls below are going to be different. For doing this I have put a static control in the place where I am going to show different controls. I have created different dialog templates for each option. Consider the case of particular option, say "MySQL". Corresponding to this option, there is a dialog in resource, the style of which is child and no border. I have added a class for this dialog called CMySQLDialog. Inside CMySQLDialog there is a function called CreateFromStatic which takes parent and ID as parame...