CF to Row after CF is applied to Column

Can someone please help me?  I've read through the postings and the help
files but still can't seem to figure out how to do this.  I've applied
conditional formatting to the J column of my spreadsheet so that if there's
any text listed the cell turns yellow.  What I'd like is if not only the cell
but the row, from A:O turned yellow also.  How do you do that?  I'm using 07.
 Any help in English walking me through the steps or a hint toward the
appropriate post would be greatly appreciated.  Cuz I aint figrin it out on
myown!

Thanks in advance!
--Dax
--
I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!

Highlight the cells in columns A to O that you want this to apply to
(assume this is from A2 to O100, with A2 as the active cell). Then
bring up the Conditional Formatting dialogue box. In the first panel
you need to select Formula Is rather than Cell Value Is, and then put
this formula in the next box:

=3D$J2<>""

Then click on the Format button, select the Patterns tab and choose
yellow. Then click on OK twice to exit the dialogue box.

Excel will automatically adjust the formulae to suit the range that
you had highlighted, so now the cells from A to O in any row should
appear yellow if the cell in column J of that row is not empty.

If you want it specifically for text values (rather than numbers),
then you could use:

=3DISTEXT($J2)

as your formula, or even:

=3DAND($J2<>"",NOT(ISNUMBER($J2)))

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 17, 6:08=A0am, Dax Arroway <DaxArro...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Can someone please help me? =A0I've read through the postings and the hel=
> files but still can't seem to figure out how to do this. =A0I've applied
> conditional formatting to the J column of my spreadsheet so that if there=
's
> any text listed the cell turns yellow. =A0What I'd like is if not only th=
e cell
> but the row, from A:O turned yellow also. =A0How do you do that? =A0I'm u=
sing 07.
> =A0Any help in English walking me through the steps or a hint toward the
> appropriate post would be greatly appreciated. =A0Cuz I aint figrin it ou=
t on
> myown! =A0
>
> Thanks in advance! =A0
> --Dax
> --
> I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!

0
Pete_UK
11/17/2009 10:03:28 AM
Thanks for your help and sorry about the multi-posting, I waited 5 minutes
and didn't see my posting and thought I had done something wrong.

--

"Pete_UK" wrote:

> Highlight the cells in columns A to O that you want this to apply to
> (assume this is from A2 to O100, with A2 as the active cell). Then
> bring up the Conditional Formatting dialogue box. In the first panel
> you need to select Formula Is rather than Cell Value Is, and then put
> this formula in the next box:
>
> =$J2<>""
>
> Then click on the Format button, select the Patterns tab and choose
> yellow. Then click on OK twice to exit the dialogue box.
>
> Excel will automatically adjust the formulae to suit the range that
> you had highlighted, so now the cells from A to O in any row should
> appear yellow if the cell in column J of that row is not empty.
>
> If you want it specifically for text values (rather than numbers),
> then you could use:
>
> =ISTEXT($J2)
>
> as your formula, or even:
>
> =AND($J2<>"",NOT(ISNUMBER($J2)))
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Nov 17, 6:08 am, Dax Arroway <DaxArro...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > Can someone please help me?  I've read through the postings and the help
> > files but still can't seem to figure out how to do this.  I've applied
> > conditional formatting to the J column of my spreadsheet so that if there's
> > any text listed the cell turns yellow.  What I'd like is if not only the cell
> > but the row, from A:O turned yellow also.  How do you do that?  I'm using 07.
> >  Any help in English walking me through the steps or a hint toward the
> > appropriate post would be greatly appreciated.  Cuz I aint figrin it out on
> > myown!
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > --Dax
> > --
> > I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!
>
> .

Limiting number of columns/rows on a sheet
Hi How to limit the number of columns on a sheet? I'd like to have a columns on a sheet and afterwards coming the "gray area" (Like it i coming after 256 columns or 65536 rows) Thanks in advance Tarv -- tarv ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tarvi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3610 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55883 hide unwanted rows and columns "tarvi" <tarvi.2aiukb_1152185701.4965@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:tarvi...

Include credit memos on checks without applying to an invoice
Currently, you cannot include a credit memo on a check without applying it to an invoice. If that invoice is already paid, you have to apply it to a different invoice -- one that has nothing to do with it! You lose accurate transaction history for both invoices -- the one already paid and the one being applied against. We are in the retail industry and receive tons of credit memos that adjust costs on previously entered invoices at each month-end because we met quantity orders. It is impossible to apply them to original invoices and, therefore, have to apply them to invoices that th...

vb code to copy and list selected row to diff sheets
I am working with workbook with 30sheets for each day x each worksheet having same headers and colmuns x I want to copy selected rows to corresponding sheets with different name . eg. date name details amount type 13feb kk ccj/dxb 1300 inv 14feb pv ccj/auh 1200 alh I would like to copy first row to a sheet named inv and second row to sheet names alh. can u adv me the code to be used -- pvkkutty new to discussion group however a freequent reader of discussion group posts Try the below code with all the sheets... Sub CopyRowstoDifferentSheets() Dim wb As Workbook...

Insert a blank row

Seperating cells and columns
Is there a way to seperate some cells and/or columns so you could have different height cells/columns that are in the same row? thx, Dave -- DRLski ------------------------------------------------------------------------ DRLski's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26892 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=401166 inserts some rows above and below your initial row and merge the ones that need to be higher with cells above and/or below -- Dnereb -------------------------------------------------------------------...

when certain rows are hidden, can I also hide a combobox?
Hello, I have a code that hides certain rows in sheets 3 and 4. Is there a way to make 'Drop Down 3' and 'Drop Down 4' hidden when rows as per Case 2 are hidden? The code I have so far is below: Sub ComboBox1_Change() ' Combobox Value Is changed varData = Range("B27").Value2 ' unhide ranges On Error GoTo 100 Application.ScreenUpdating = False Sheet3.Range("A58:A68").EntireRow.Hidden = False Sheet4.Range("A150:A185").EntireRow.Hidden = False Sheet3.Range("A35:A57, A26").EntireRow.Hidd...

How do I sort a column of formulas in Excel? #2
I have a column of dates that I produced by putting in the first date. Then the next and following were simply a formula =SUM(A4+7) and so on for five years of Sundays. I wanted to have two for each sunday I could have them sorted by AM or PM so I duplicated the list and put AM in the next column beside the first 5 years of Sundays and PM beside the next five years. I then sorted with column A (dates) descending and column B (AM/PM) descending. I expected to get 01/01/2000 AM and then 01/01/2000 PM under each other and so on but the formulated column would not sort. I tried a sample of ...

SQL Error Message- Row Cannot Be Located...
Hi, we're getting the following error message on a customers machine when she tries to open up Store POS for the first time- "Row cannot be located for updating- some values may have changed since last read". This is a new RMS Store Operations 2.0 installation and it's connecting to HQ. After this particular store was first created, there was an error synchronizing the databases, a collation problem which was immediately fixed and everything synched up fine. Disconnected and reconnected the database, Store Manager opens fine, deleted and recreated the register and ...

Duplicate entries between two columns
Need some help with an excel formula. I have column A with 962 entries. I have column B with 898 entries. I want to find out the matched entries of the two columns in Column C. Thanks, Mazhar :rolleyes: -- mazalam ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mazalam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26768 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=400897 Put this in C1: =isnumber(match(b1,a:a,0)) and drag down. True's will mean that B has a match somewhere in column A. mazalam wrot...

stacked column with series in variable locations
I don't think this can be done within Excel, but then again, some of you have some very creative ways of getting things done! I have a client who would like to create a stacked column chart. Here is some sample data. Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 ab 6:00:00 AM 6:00:00 AM cd 6:30:00 AM 2:50:00 PM ef 9:15:00 AM 6:00:00 AM gh 1:30:00 PM hi 4:00:00 PM 6:45:00 AM 1:00:00 PM The chart would have the Days along the X axis and the times along the Y. Each day goes from 6:00 am - 6:00 pm. On Day 1, Product ab is run from 6:00-6:30, Then cd from 6:30-9...

VBA/Row number/column numer
If I want to specify a cell in VBA but only know it's row NUMBer and not column number, how would I describe this cell in vba? i.e. instead of AA5, i want to be able to talkb about it as being column 27 and row 5... thanks! Mika, Cells(Row, Column) Cells(2, 3) would give you cell C2 -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "mika." <conceptualness@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:07ad01c37be7$ffd1b0a0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > If I want to specify a cell in VBA but only know it's row > NUMBer a...

Reversed column labels
For some reason, when I open any new spreadsheets, the column labels are reversed, with column A on the right side of the screen. This is making working with excel difficult. Is there some option I enabled that can be disabled so that Excel gets back to normal? Thanks Andrew Remsen Hi Drew tools / options / international - check the settings under default direction note, you won't see the affect of this until you close & reopen your workbook. Regards julieD "Drew Remsen" <remsen59@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:MeSpd.73932$8G4.40962@tornado.tampabay.rr.com....

How to apply an over-credit to a sale?
Ok, we had an online customer overpay his order using a money order. So, when I tendered the money order, he had about $45 coming back to him. Well, he just wanted that applied to his account. So, I selected (Payment) and applied the $45 to his account. It warned me that it was an overpayment and I clicked OK. Now, on his next sale, how do I apply that $45 credit? Just apply 45 to his house account. When you tender the sale it will deduct 45 form his account and then it will be zero "nutribodies" <nutribodies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD033E...

Radom hidden rows
Excell seems to be hiding rows on it's own. When I try to Unhide the rows or set the row height, nothing happens. I have about 1200 rows in the sheet but it's hiding about 600 rows. I can manually mouse click on the row to unhide the data but once I save the file it hides other (seemingly random) rows. All the users are experiencing the same problem with this workbook. The workbook is shared (I am the author), and not protected. HELP!!! ...

For all rows, if cell has "X", get number from range?
I'm hoping this can be done with a formula - I'd like to stay away from macros unless I have to. This is a job order tracker. Each job order entry takes four rows. The first few columns are job info; the next 31 columns are the dates of the month. The first row of each job order is for days worked - if that job was worked on that day, an "X" goes in the row under that date. I'd like to put a formula at the end of each job order that captures all the dates the job was worked, as indicated by the "X" in that column in that job order. Something like this: 1...

Possible to show clustered and stacked columns on one chart?
I have 2 categories of sales for two companies. one is projected sales the other is actual sales for a series of years. I want to show for each year stacked company one and company two projected sales. Then next to it (clustered) I want to show the same two company actual sales stacked. thanks Jon Peltier has an example of that here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html "crochetlady" wrote: > I have 2 categories of sales for two companies. one is projected sales the > other is actual sales for a series of years. I want to show for each year > ...

Paste to next row if cells are not empty
Hi, I have a workbook that contains calls details of clients. Those details are be pasted to individual client workbooks. I have this macro that pastes call details to workbooks in a folder. Sub PasteClient() Dim ClientFile As String 'Holds client's file name Dim CurRange As Range 'Holds current range selected 'In case of an error this will handle it gracefully and give me 'some information. On Error GoTo ErrorHandler 'Turn screen updating off. I won't see the client file being updated. Application.ScreenUpdating = False ' I Make sure ...

How to apply Macro on a same type of format but in excess content?
HI, First of all i 'd like to explain what problem i'm facing. See i've data in three Rows and three Columns. I've recorded macro & i applied the same macro in same formation. like three Rows & Three coloumns. But the question here is now i've Five Rows & Five coloums. Now if i apply the same macro here then it overrides the data over three rows and coloumns. Please let me know can i do apply the same macro because the formation is same only data is in more no. Looking forward to hearing form you. Thanks, Manmohan Singh Wi...

how can I stop sub total rows appearing in pivot tables in excel
I am working in excel and I need to prevent sub total rows appearing in my pivot tables. Does any know if this is possible and if so how? Also, I am working in Access and I need to be able to have multiple columns headers (grouped) similar to what you can do in Excel, any ideas? Thanks for your help. Lee If you rightclick on the button like header in your pivottable, you can select "field settings". there's a "none" option for subtotals. If you don't get an answer for your access question, you may want to try an Access newsgroup. Lee wrote: > > I am wor...

select columns by column index
Hi to all. I am having a small problem. I would like to select columns by their indexes. psedou script is as follows. select column(1), column(2) from table Is it possible to do ? and (Number) is going to be dynamic. Thanks in advance Best regards, Ozgur Tayfun __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4611 (20091116) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com It's usually considered good practice to avoid depending on the order of columns in a table. So I would reco...

Conditional Formating on Row
Can you apply conditional formating to a number of colums in a ro dependant on what information is enterd in a particular cell in tha row. Eg. IF Cell H2 = "New" then Format text in cells A2:H2 as 'Red' 'Bold -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following: - select the cells A2:H2 - goto the conditional format dialog and enter the formula =$H2="New" - choose your format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "loscherland >" <<loscherland.14cc04@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:loscherland.1...

Automating a Chart w/ a row of criteria as Y axis
Hi, I hope someone can help. I can automate a chart given 1 x- and y- axis. However when I try to apply the same offset principle to a chart w/ an x-axis consisting of more than 1 criteria, it won't work. For example, my table looks like the following: Week # January FebruaryMarch April week 48 10000 20000 30000 40000 week 49 10000 20000 30000 40000 week 50 10000 20000 30000 40000 week 51 10000 20000 30000 40000 week 52 10000 20000 30000 40000 week 53 10000 20000 30000 40000 week 54 10000 20000 30000 40000 My chart is 3-dimensional, week # is the z axis, months the x axis, and the sal...

Detect Data Changed State in Row with Focus
On a continuous form, how do I detect that the row having focus has had one or more controls' data changed? A procedure started by a command button needs to know whether the row with focus has been changed by the user. This is before the focus leaves the row so the before update event for the row has not fired. It is after the before update events for a control would fire if present. Is there a simple way to test the form for the update state of the row with focus? I want to avoid a lot of VBA to collect the state change for each control in before update events. I just want to...

Use Query for Row Source
Re-Post question not resolved/provided attention to from 26 Oct 07 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steve, here is the info you requested: Row Source = SELECT [EPR/TR/OPR].[FullName] FROM [EPR/TR/OPR]; Column Count = 1 Column Widths = 1.7605" List Width = 1.7604" Bound Column = 1 Thanks, Rick "Steve Schapel" wrote: > Rick, > > In design view of the form, can you select the combobox, and look at the > Properties. Can you post back with what is entered in there for these > properties: > > Row S...

Unwanted change in width of columns when showing formula.
When selecting to show formulas in cells, a lot of my columns change their width. I have confirmed that I am viewing the worksheet at the same zoom-level before and after switching to showing formulas. When reverting back to show the actual results of the formulas in the cells, the width also goes back to what I had initially decided on. Why is this (width gets bigger)? I want to have the freedom to maintain _my_ chosen column-width, stupid-looking as it might be. Is there a solution to not have the column-width changing like this? Thank you in advance. The column widths change because E...