Cell Referencing 05-14-10

I have Worksheets("Data") and worksheets named for each year  ONLY the
current year and previous years are available, ie Worksheets("2011") will not
exist until it is 2011.

Worksheets("Data") is a summary worksheet.  It pulls totals and/or averages
from each year worksheet.  Since future year worksheets do not exist until
that year arrives, I have formulas on the Data worksheet that check to see if
that year is here.  If not, then "".

Hence, when a new year worksheet is created, it will also place that year,
ie 2010, as the column header, say in cell E8 of Worksheets("Data").  The
cells in column E, below E8 will reference a particular cell on the 2010
worksheet.

My question is this:  What is the formula that will use the value in E8, in
this case 2010, to reference E16 on Worksheets("2010")?  F8 will eventually
be 2011, etc. and the cells below each will pull data from the appropriate
worksheet based on the value (year) in E8, F8, G8....AH8.

Example:
Worksheets("Data")
E8 = 2010
Instead of formula in E16 being:  =IF(E8 = "","",2010!E16)
I want the 2010 portion of the formula to reference E8 to pull the value.

Sorry if wordy, but wanted to make clear as possible.

Thanks for your help,

Les

On Fri, 14 May 2010 11:51:01 -0700, WLMPilot
<WLMPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have Worksheets("Data") and worksheets named for each year  ONLY the
>current year and previous years are available, ie Worksheets("2011") will not
>exist until it is 2011.
>
>Worksheets("Data") is a summary worksheet.  It pulls totals and/or averages
>from each year worksheet.  Since future year worksheets do not exist until
>that year arrives, I have formulas on the Data worksheet that check to see if
>that year is here.  If not, then "".
>
>Hence, when a new year worksheet is created, it will also place that year,
>ie 2010, as the column header, say in cell E8 of Worksheets("Data").  The
>cells in column E, below E8 will reference a particular cell on the 2010
>worksheet.
>
>My question is this:  What is the formula that will use the value in E8, in
>this case 2010, to reference E16 on Worksheets("2010")?  F8 will eventually
>be 2011, etc. and the cells below each will pull data from the appropriate
>worksheet based on the value (year) in E8, F8, G8....AH8.
>
>Example:
>Worksheets("Data")
>E8 = 2010
>Instead of formula in E16 being:  =IF(E8 = "","",2010!E16)
>I want the 2010 portion of the formula to reference E8 to pull the value.
>
>Sorry if wordy, but wanted to make clear as possible.
>
>Thanks for your help,
>
>Les

Try this formula in cell E16:

=IF(E8="","",INDIRECT(E8&"!E16"))

Hope this helps / Lars-�ke

0
Lars
5/14/2010 7:03:27 PM
You can do that using INDIRECT and ADDRESS:
=IF(LEN(E$8)=0,"",INDIRECT(ADDRESS(16,5,,,E$8)))

16 is row 16 and 5 is column E. If you prefer, you can use the ROW & COLUMN
functions with E16 like this:
=IF(LEN(E$8)=0,"",INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(E16),COLUMN(E16),,,E$8)))

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"WLMPilot" wrote:

> I have Worksheets("Data") and worksheets named for each year  ONLY the
> current year and previous years are available, ie Worksheets("2011") will not
> exist until it is 2011.
>
> Worksheets("Data") is a summary worksheet.  It pulls totals and/or averages
> from each year worksheet.  Since future year worksheets do not exist until
> that year arrives, I have formulas on the Data worksheet that check to see if
> that year is here.  If not, then "".
>
> Hence, when a new year worksheet is created, it will also place that year,
> ie 2010, as the column header, say in cell E8 of Worksheets("Data").  The
> cells in column E, below E8 will reference a particular cell on the 2010
> worksheet.
>
> My question is this:  What is the formula that will use the value in E8, in
> this case 2010, to reference E16 on Worksheets("2010")?  F8 will eventually
> be 2011, etc. and the cells below each will pull data from the appropriate
> worksheet based on the value (year) in E8, F8, G8....AH8.
>
> Example:
> Worksheets("Data")
> E8 = 2010
> Instead of formula in E16 being:  =IF(E8 = "","",2010!E16)
> I want the 2010 portion of the formula to reference E8 to pull the value.
>
> Sorry if wordy, but wanted to make clear as possible.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Les
I tried the formula you indicated and got a #REF

Worksheets("Data") has the following:
E8: 2010 (number format)
E16: =IF(E8="","",Indirect(E8 & "!E16")  ---> Answer to formula is #REF

Worksheets("2010") has the following:
E16 = 5  (number format)

Any suggestions on this problem?

Thanks,
Les

"Lars-Åke Aspelin" wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 2010 11:51:01 -0700, WLMPilot
> <WLMPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have Worksheets("Data") and worksheets named for each year  ONLY the
> >current year and previous years are available, ie Worksheets("2011") will not
> >exist until it is 2011.
> >
> >Worksheets("Data") is a summary worksheet.  It pulls totals and/or averages
> >from each year worksheet.  Since future year worksheets do not exist until
> >that year arrives, I have formulas on the Data worksheet that check to see if
> >that year is here.  If not, then "".
> >
> >Hence, when a new year worksheet is created, it will also place that year,
> >ie 2010, as the column header, say in cell E8 of Worksheets("Data").  The
> >cells in column E, below E8 will reference a particular cell on the 2010
> >worksheet.
> >
> >My question is this:  What is the formula that will use the value in E8, in
> >this case 2010, to reference E16 on Worksheets("2010")?  F8 will eventually
> >be 2011, etc. and the cells below each will pull data from the appropriate
> >worksheet based on the value (year) in E8, F8, G8....AH8.
> >
> >Example:
> >Worksheets("Data")
> >E8 = 2010
> >Instead of formula in E16 being:  =IF(E8 = "","",2010!E16)
> >I want the 2010 portion of the formula to reference E8 to pull the value.
> >
> >Sorry if wordy, but wanted to make clear as possible.
> >
> >Thanks for your help,
> >
> >Les
>
> Try this formula in cell E16:
>
> =IF(E8="","",INDIRECT(E8&"!E16"))
>
> Hope this helps / Lars-Åke
>

> .

Make sure that the name of the "2010" worksheet is exactly "2010".
If the name has an extra space, like "2010 " or " 2010"  you will get
the #REF error.

Hope this helps / Lars-�ke

On Sat, 15 May 2010 08:09:01 -0700, WLMPilot
<WLMPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I tried the formula you indicated and got a #REF
>
>Worksheets("Data") has the following:
>E8: 2010 (number format)
>E16: =IF(E8="","",Indirect(E8 & "!E16")  ---> Answer to formula is #REF
>
>Worksheets("2010") has the following:
>E16 = 5  (number format)
>

>Any suggestions on this problem?
>
>Thanks,
>Les
>
>"Lars-�ke Aspelin" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 May 2010 11:51:01 -0700, WLMPilot
>> <WLMPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have Worksheets("Data") and worksheets named for each year  ONLY the
>> >current year and previous years are available, ie Worksheets("2011") will not
>> >exist until it is 2011.
>> >
>> >Worksheets("Data") is a summary worksheet.  It pulls totals and/or averages
>> >from each year worksheet.  Since future year worksheets do not exist until
>> >that year arrives, I have formulas on the Data worksheet that check to see if
>> >that year is here.  If not, then "".
>> >
>> >Hence, when a new year worksheet is created, it will also place that year,
>> >ie 2010, as the column header, say in cell E8 of Worksheets("Data").  The
>> >cells in column E, below E8 will reference a particular cell on the 2010
>> >worksheet.
>> >
>> >My question is this:  What is the formula that will use the value in E8, in
>> >this case 2010, to reference E16 on Worksheets("2010")?  F8 will eventually
>> >be 2011, etc. and the cells below each will pull data from the appropriate
>> >worksheet based on the value (year) in E8, F8, G8....AH8.
>> >
>> >Example:
>> >Worksheets("Data")
>> >E8 = 2010
>> >Instead of formula in E16 being:  =IF(E8 = "","",2010!E16)
>> >I want the 2010 portion of the formula to reference E8 to pull the value.
>> >
>> >Sorry if wordy, but wanted to make clear as possible.
>> >
>> >Thanks for your help,
>> >
>> >Les
>>
>> Try this formula in cell E16:
>>
>> =IF(E8="","",INDIRECT(E8&"!E16"))
>>
>> Hope this helps / Lars-�ke
>>

>> .

0
Lars
5/15/2010 4:59:36 PM
I corrected the problem of having " 2010" instead of "2010" and even made
sure the sheet name also reflected "2010".

It finally worked, especially after I corrected the syntax error I made in
the formula.  You indicated ....INDIRECT(E8 &"!E16") and I had
INDIRECT(E8 & "!" & E*).

Thanks for your help.
Les

"Lars-Åke Aspelin" wrote:

> Make sure that the name of the "2010" worksheet is exactly "2010".
> If the name has an extra space, like "2010 " or " 2010"  you will get
> the #REF error.
>
> Hope this helps / Lars-Åke
>
> On Sat, 15 May 2010 08:09:01 -0700, WLMPilot
> <WLMPilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I tried the formula you indicated and got a #REF
> >
> >Worksheets("Data") has the following:
> >E8: 2010 (number format)
> >E16: =IF(E8="","",Indirect(E8 & "!E16")  ---> Answer to formula is #REF
> >
> >Worksheets("2010") has the following:
> >E16 = 5  (number format)
> >

> >Any suggestions on this problem?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Les
> >
> >"Lars-Åke Aspelin" wrote:

> >> Try this formula in cell E16:
> >>
> >> =IF(E8="","",INDIRECT(E8&"!E16"))
> >>
> >> Hope this helps / Lars-Åke
> >>

> >> .
> >>

> .

Macro on cell content
Dear all, this must be a common problem, and I thought I found the solution, but it doesn't work ... I'm probably missing something very simple. I want to execute a simple VB function in one cell, taking another cell as Parameter. Both, parameter cell and function result are strings. For example: A1: "this is content of cell A1" A2: =Convert(A1) and Convert is a VB function Function Convert(content As string) as String ' do something depending on content Convert = "result-string" End Function However, I always get a #NAME? Error in cell A2. The ide...

Highlighting Cells automaticall? HELP
For some reason, when I open excel and click on my mouse all the cells automatically become shaded. I can't stop this. Does anyone know how to? According to MSFT help, I should make sure that EXT doesn't appear in my status window. It doesn't and I'm still having this problem.... Hi Stern, Since Extended Selection is apparently not your problem take a look at http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt For more information on EXT , ALT and other indicators and use of the Status Bar, but you've already eliminated this as a problem. http://www.mvps.org/dmc...

Selecting Multiple Cells.
I know how to select a range of cells by specifying reference in nam box. Examples: A10:A20 (The range of cells in column A and rows 10 through 20) 5:5 (All cells in row 5) However, I am attempting to select every third cell going down colum A, beginning with A3. I can enter A3, A6, A9 (This will select just those cells.) Is there a shortcut I can use to continue this pattern of every thir cell indefinitely? (I actually need to select every third cell down t A4950.) Thank you for any assistance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Here's one way: 1. Put this in ...

Email Management 04-20-10
Using Outlook 2007. My director gets tons of emails each day. He wants me to manage the incoming mail for him; but still be able to access them at some point. He has set up .pst files folders for most of his incoming mail; however, I have discovered that I can't see those folders. If he sets up sub-folders under his incoming mailbox, that mail counts toward the mailbox size. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we could set up an efficient way to manage incoming mail and still make it available to him for later review without filling up the mailbox. Thanks in adv...

cell watch function in excel 2001 for mac?
is there a cell watch window in excel 2001 for mac? if not is there way to download an add-in for it -- mike1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mike10's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1441 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26193 In article <mike10.1cxcny@excelforum-nospam.com>, mike10 <mike10.1cxcny@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > is there a cell watch window in excel 2001 for mac? if not is there a > way to download an add-in for it? MacXL's VBE do...

Make merged cells in clipboard paste as unmerged?
Hi all, If a user copy merged cells from another sheet, I dont' want to allow it to paste as that, but just paste as a textstring in the selected cell. Anybody having a sub macro to share? /Regards Hi use 'Edit - Paste Special - Values' for inserting your content -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Imbecill wrote: > Hi all, > > If a user copy merged cells from another sheet, I dont' want to allow > it to paste as that, but just paste as a textstring in the selected > cell. > > Anybody having a sub macro to share? > > /Regards I'm ...

Number Format #14
Is there a way I can format a number so that significant 0's and a letter are conditional? I currently use: ?0"g" ?0"s" ?0"c" - which formats like so: 100000 = 10g 00s 00c 100010 = 10g 00s 10c 1000 = 0g 10s 00c What I wish to have is a code that formats like so: 101010 = 10g 10s 10c 10000 = 10s 10 = 10c 100010 = 10g 10c Is this possible? -- LoganStallworth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LoganStallworth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27561 View this thre...

Number cells won't reformat / sort
I'm dealing w/ a spreadsheet composed of cut-and-pasted rows from 2 sources (A and B) both originally exported from Filemaker at different times. When trying to sort the data by a "Record Number" field, the 2 datasets remain split and will not integrate. In other words, instead of the sort result being something like: # Code 1 WEX 3 WAF 4 WAF 6 WEX 7 WAF 9 WEX They look like this: # Code 1 WEX 6 WEX 9 WEX 3 WAF 4 WAF 7 WAF The 2 groups remain separate and sort individually. It gets stranger, though. If I reformat the column to, say, a percent or a currency r...

Putting a different character in a cell
Okay here is the problem: We are setting up an Excel worksheet to figure out productivity of employees. I am able to set up a cell to average another range of cells. Example would be that Cell J3 will average Cells C3 - I3 (=AVERAGE(C3:I3)). Now I have two questions... Is there a way to make Excel put a character in Cell J3 where the formula is instead of a blank cell OR even better I would like to create another worksheet that will take MULTIPLE cells linked to the first worksheet with the average formula in it to then do -another- average of the cells if there is information in the cells. A...

copying content of cell into other cells casually
I preparing about 3000 tickets for an Italian tombola. A row of 15 randomly chosen different numbers from 1 to 90 (e.g. 8, 20, 22, 34, 40, 43, 51, 55, 62, 72, 74, 84, 85, 90) needs to go nicely into a table quite casually. The table (three rows high and ten columns long) which are the tickets that will be sold at the tombola will look like the following: | | | 20 | | 40 | | 62 | | 84 | | | | 22 |34 | 43 | 51 | 63 | 72 | 85 | | 8 | | | | | 55 | | 74 | 90 | Numbers needs to be in these columns as players can see easily if they have go...

How to merge 10 files in one step?
Hi Everyone I would like to check is it possible to merge 10 files with the same format together with one step or less steps when compared to opening up 10 files and then copy and paste? I would really appreciate any help given... Cheers ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements There is no way built into Excel to do a merge other than copy/paste. (Well, there is th...

Getting contents of a cell when cell reference is in the sheet
If I have a cell reference in a cell, how could I get the contents of the cell instead of the cell reference again. For example, A B C D 1 2 5 3 'A2' 4 How could I see the contents of cell A2 using the information in cell C3. I'm matching one number with another in different worksheets and want to get a value from the same row as the match. I can get it to return the address of the data I want to get, but can't get the data. Incorporate INDIRECT()... i.e. =INDIRECT(A2) will return the contents of A2. -- Regards, Dave "A Nelso...

checkbox linked to a cell
Hello, I am programatically trying to add a checkbox. but it looks like you have to give pixal locations ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="Forms.CheckBox.1", Link:=False, _ DisplayAsIcon:=False, Left:=111.75, Top:=197.25, Width:=85.5, Height _ :=21.75).Select is there a way to add a checkbox and give the cell row / column? One way: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myCell As Range Dim OLEObj As OLEObject Set myCell = ActiveSheet.Range("b3") With myCell Set OLEObj = .Parent.OLEObjects.Add(ClassType:="F...

Outlook 01-10-08
Good Morning, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have got Microsoft Windows Visa Home Premium, I have got outlook 2002 and when I set it up I had saved my password for the email accounts and each time I load outlook up again it keeps asking me to enter them again. Can any help me? You're posting in the wrong forum. This MSAccess, go to Outlook. Leo "Philip Ingram" <ingram.ph@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:66E1D835-0590-424D-91E7-148D7CABDEDC@microsoft.com... > Good Morning, > > I wonder if anyone can help me. I have got Microsoft Windows Visa Home ...

editing cells automatically???
Why is it that some spreadsheets will not allow you to edit cells automatically when tabbing between windows? i.e. some spreadsheets will require you to double click in the cell to continue editing once you navigate away from that spreadsheet. Not too clear on your problem but............ Is it possible you have separate instances of Excel running with different editing options? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 13 May 2010 14:25:01 -0700, yogiiyogee <yogiiyogee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Why is it that some spreadsheets will not allow you to edit cell...

how do I keep comments with cell?
I want the comments that I post to stay in the same format and with the same relationship to the cell that I post it in. Now,when I edit an existing file with comments, the existing comments float all over the file. I would also like to be able to reset the existing comments back to their original format. Code from Debra Dalgleish....... Reset Comments to Original Position If comments have moved out of position, you can reset them using the following code: Sub ResetComments() Dim cmt As Comment For Each cmt In ActiveSheet.Comments cmt.Shape.Top = cmt.Parent.Top + 5 cmt.Shape.L...

Summing visable cells only
I have a worksheet with 8000+ rows. Some of the rows are hidden. I want to have a formula at the bottom of the rows that sums only the visable cells (non-hidden) rows. Any suggestions? (The rows are hidden and not filtered). -- Thanks Buuuuddddy! =SUBTOTAL(109,A1:A8000) will give you what you need. -- Regards, Dave "Paully Shore" wrote: > I have a worksheet with 8000+ rows. Some of the rows are hidden. I want to > have a formula at the bottom of the rows that sums only the visable cells > (non-hidden) rows. Any suggestions? (The rows are hidden and not fi...

Adding specific Cells Only.
I am doing a tally on what my department has spent the past year. The sheet looks along the lines of this: Department Item Use (If Applicable) Cost Benefits Area Administration Two Pt. Buliten Boards $1,700.00 N1, N2, N3, N4 Medication Refrigerator $600.00 N2 Pictures $500.00 N2 Chairs, Furniture/Equiptment Supplies $7,200.00 North Hall TOTAL $10,000.00 Courtyard $40,000.00 N1 Courtyard $40,000.00 N1 TOAL $80,000.00 Rehab OT supplies for centralized groups including supplies foor physical diabetes Groups/Activities Splints, excercises, ...

Formulas within Cell References
Hello All, I need to use a number that was calculated from a formula in a cel reference. Here is the situation: I have a large spreadsheet tha changes periodically. I need to count the number of items in tha spreadsheet(i will use COUNTA - already works) and then take tha number and use it as a row number in a cell reference like this: In cell H1: =COUNTA(A2:A9999) Then take that number in cell H1 and insert that into say $J$XXXX wher XXXX represents the number in cell H1. I'm looking to increase the calculation speed of the workbook by onl calculating cells that I need to. Thanks f...

cell font color changes
When i change a cell font to grey in Excel why doesn't it print grey when sent to a black printer. it only prints grey if sent to a color printer hi, Because the B/W printer can only print in black. the color printer can print in colors and to the printer gray is just another color. regards Frank >-----Original Message----- >When i change a cell font to grey in Excel why doesn't it print grey when >sent to a black printer. it only prints grey if sent to a color printer >. > Also, some b/w printers offer a "grayscale" option under Print Qualit or the lik...

Named Cells In Worksheet
This is probably really dumb: After assigning a name to a cell or range of cells; how do you un-name or delete the name? TIA Fred Hi From menu select Insert.Name.Define Select the name from list - Delete Arvi Laanemets "Fred Yager" <fredyager@koolsturgis.com> wrote in message news:06b201c39314$68e716f0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > This is probably really dumb: > > After assigning a name to a cell or range of cells; how > do you un-name or delete the name? > > TIA > > Fred Use Insert, Name, Define. Then, highlight the name and press the Delete button...

charting a single changing DDE cell
I have a spreadsheet that captures real time stock data via a DDE link. The cell captures the last price of a stock as it changes over time. Can you chart that changing cell as the day progresses. Maybe capture the data and then chart it or a macro which plots that cell every minute? Bob You would need to capture the value of that changing cell periodically in a growing table, possibly in a different sheet. For example, every time you update it via the DDE, you could run a code that copies the value of the cell to the last row of the table. Use a dynamic chart to plot the values in t...

Problem with copying a to from date to another cell
I am trying to enter the first 7 days of the year in one cell. ie: A1 -> 1/2/05 to 1/8/05 And then I want to drag that down to 53 cells and have it copy in the following format. ie: A2 -> 1/9/05 to 1/15/05 A3 -> 1/16/05 to 1/22/05 etc... Is this possible? I would do it by using two separate columns, typing in the two top row dates, the highlight the area you wish to fill, then Edit > Fill > Series > Trend..........then when you have the two columns of dates, use a third helper column with this formula copied down...... =TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yy")&...

Link chart format to a cell
I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special cell. For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) and for another value red bars? Please anyone? On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, vito <vito@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I want to create a chart that changes format depending on value in a special >For exemple a bar chart that for one value have blue bars (the whole chart) >and for another value red bars? You can't, it's not possible in Excel. But you can have two series, one which...

Use the same cell from many worksheets to create a chart?
I have a new worksheet for each day, labeled with the date. I want to pull data from the same cell (like "P-3") in each worksheet and put it into a chart. Example: On ten worksheets, pull the data from cell P-3 (arbitrarily called "income"). Then, put that P-3 data into a chart that tracks daily income: the date itself (taken from the worksheet name) plus the data. Any idea how to do this? You need to create a summary region on a worksheet, and use this as the data source for your chart. See this page for more details: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Char...