Auto Fill function in Excel 2007 not working properly

I cannot get the Auto Fill function to increase values in a series, and I
feel certain I'm doing it right:

First, I tried typing a series of values in a column like this: Cell A1, I
typed 1. Cell B1, I typed 2. Then, I selected both cells with the mouse, and
then moved to the lower right corner of Cell B1 and left-clicked and held the
mouse button down. Then I dragged the mouse button down several columns. The
little pop-up message seemed to indicate that it was repeating 1, 2, 1, 2.
When I released the mouse button, it had actually filled a 1 in each cell!

After several unsuccessful attempts, I read online help and decided to try
using a different method: the Fill tool function button on the toolbar. I
could not seem to make that command work.

The instructions in Online Help suggested I had a problem. I read, "1. On
the Home tab, in the Editing Group, click Fill, and then click Series." When
I clicked Fill, the Series command was grayed out, apparently regardless of
what I had selected: a blank cell, a series of cells with a series of
increasing values, or a combination of both.

I began to suspect that my program settings were "messed up", so I clicked
the Microsoft Office button, then the Excel Options button near the bottom
right corner of the tab, as it instructed. I reviewed all the settings.
Everything appears to be set properly. For example, Under Advanced options,
"Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop" is checked, as is almost every
other option on that tab.

I wondered if there was an configuration problem with my software, so I even
ran the online Microsoft Office Diagnostics. It found no problems, conflicts,
etc.

What am I doing wrong?

P.S. I had applied filters to the data sheet, and was working deliberately
with one of the filters. I see that if I remove the filters, the function
works.

So that still leaves me with a question: If I want to count the number of
entries in a filtered list, how do I do that? For example, should I use a
formula with something like "COUNT" or "COUNTIF", rather than trying to
simply enumerate the rows?

If so, how do I do that?

I will be eternally grateful for a correct, understandable answer.

Steve
--
Steve "the Raudawg"

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:29:01 -0800, Raudawg <raujunk@gmail.com> wrote:

>So that still leaves me with a question: If I want to count the number of
>entries in a filtered list, how do I do that?

  Highlight the cells you are wanting data on, then look at the status
line at the bottom of the worksheet window.  There are several
statistical figures there, including count.
0
CellShocked
1/16/2010 6:27:27 PM
To count autofiltered entries use the SUBTOTAL function.

=SUBTOTAL(3,range)

Will count only visible cells.

As far as autofilling goes.

I generally use this method.

Enter a number in a cell

Right-click on fill handle and drag down.

Release button and "Fill Series" to get a series of numbers.

Otherwise you must have two numbers so Excel can see a pattern.

Enter 1 in A1, 2 in A2

Select both cells and drag down.

The series will fill.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:29:01 -0800, Raudawg <raujunk@gmail.com> wrote:

>P.S. I had applied filters to the data sheet, and was working deliberately
>with one of the filters. I see that if I remove the filters, the function
>works.
>
>So that still leaves me with a question: If I want to count the number of
>entries in a filtered list, how do I do that? For example, should I use a
>formula with something like "COUNT" or "COUNTIF", rather than trying to
>simply enumerate the rows?
>
>If so, how do I do that?
>
>I will be eternally grateful for a correct, understandable answer.
>
>Steve

0
Gord

function to check for entry
I'll try and make this as clear as I can... I am looking for a function that will check column b,c,d,e for an entr if there is an entry then check row n in the same row for it's value. that's the first bit, then I need to be able to check the date valu (month) in column a and total it for the month. perhaps I could run the first function only looking for month=1 o something and just run it 12 times? not sure how to go about this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com well I've got this far but it still doesn't work and gives an error: =IF(MONTH(A3:A167)=4,...

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Excel not Access

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Excel 2007

applying auto archiving
Hello evryone. I am not a sys admin or a programmer. My company is short on cash. So I am trying my best for the past 2 weeks to find a solution for auto archiving for all 200 mailbox users that we have. I have implemented a GPO to apply settings for auto archiving but the problem we have is that the archive.pst is still locall. I have researched online and foung that CDO can help view the hidden "IPC.MS.Outlook.AgingProperties" and alter it and this CDO can loop nd perform the same task for all folders within a user’s mailbox. I would like some help with this please. I know t...

How do I use traffic lights in excel

Grammar check not working

Need help with Auto Filter

owa not resolving names properly
Exchange 5.5 sp4 - just recently OWA is not resolving addresses properly - the administrator at this site states: > There is a strange situation happening when using OWA to send emails. If > we try to send an email to an account out of our domain (i.e. > jravazzano@yahoo.com) the recipient name and domain get wrongly resolved > to our own domain thus generating a message undeliverable. > > For example using OWA a test email was sent to "jravazzano@yahoo.com" the > address gets resolved to j@ourdomain.com The admin is going to give me an account to test with, but...

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

Excel DNS query

Custom Headings in Work Order and Sales Receipts
Where can I edit the headings of receipt formats so that when they are printed instead of "Work Order" in the right corner, I want it to say "Delivery Note" Instead of "Sales Receipt" I want it to say "Invoice" Also, how can I make a Work order print without each item taking up 3 lines... ie: I need it to print just like a quote or regular receipt, but be a work order? The receipts in RMS are saved as a .XML file. If you are somewhat familular with programming you will be able to navigate your way around the template and make some edits. typic...

Excel Problem