2 worksheets--3 questions

Hello! I have a workbook that tracks patients (mothers) and contacts (mom's
family members). The mother worksheet is named MAT_INF and the contacts one
is named CONTACTS.

1. In MAT_INF, I have a field named CASE_NUMBER. How can I tell this field
to automatically start out with a value like "2009-"?  An example case number
would look like 2009-001 or 2010-099.

2. Once CASE_NUMBER, LAST_NAME_MOM and FIRST_NAME_MOM have been populated by
the user in MAT_INF, how can I automate adding those values to the CONTACT
sheet, where the corresponding fields are named CASE_NUMBER, CASE_LAST_NAME
and CASE_FIRST_NAME?

3. Once CASE_NUMBER in the CONTACT sheet has been brought over from the
MAT_INF sheet, how can I add a sequential number to it? For example, for
CASE_NUMBER 2009-001 from the MAT_INF sheet, with LAST_NAME_MOM equal to Doe
and FIRST_NAME_MOM equal to Jane, how would I get the CONTACT information to
look like CASE_NUMBER 2009-001-01, CASE_LAST_NAME equal to Doe and
CASE_FIRST_NAME equal to Jane?

Each CASE_NUMBER from the MAT_INF sheet (Jane Doe, 2009-001) may have 1 or
more contacts (other family members) in the CONTACTS sheet. So we might have
an entry in the CONTACT sheet like 2009-001-01, CASE_LAST_NAME = Doe,
CASE_FIRST_NAME = Jane, CONTACT_LAST_NAME = Doe, CONTACT_FIRST_NAME = Zippy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Anne,

There seems to be unnecessary replication of data here.

I think I would just have one sheet with all of the data stored there, like
a database, and have other sheets giving the particular views, say Patients
and Contacts, which are just formula linking into the database, or even a
simple VBA report (although I must admit I was not clear on points 3 on).

--

HTH

Bob

"Anne" <Anne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello! I have a workbook that tracks patients (mothers) and contacts
> (mom's
> family members). The mother worksheet is named MAT_INF and the contacts
> one
> is named CONTACTS.
>
> 1. In MAT_INF, I have a field named CASE_NUMBER. How can I tell this field
> to automatically start out with a value like "2009-"?  An example case
> number
> would look like 2009-001 or 2010-099.
>
> 2. Once CASE_NUMBER, LAST_NAME_MOM and FIRST_NAME_MOM have been populated
> by
> the user in MAT_INF, how can I automate adding those values to the CONTACT
> sheet, where the corresponding fields are named CASE_NUMBER,
> CASE_LAST_NAME
> and CASE_FIRST_NAME?
>
> 3. Once CASE_NUMBER in the CONTACT sheet has been brought over from the
> MAT_INF sheet, how can I add a sequential number to it? For example, for
> CASE_NUMBER 2009-001 from the MAT_INF sheet, with LAST_NAME_MOM equal to
> Doe
> and FIRST_NAME_MOM equal to Jane, how would I get the CONTACT information
> look like CASE_NUMBER 2009-001-01, CASE_LAST_NAME equal to Doe and
> CASE_FIRST_NAME equal to Jane?
>
> Each CASE_NUMBER from the MAT_INF sheet (Jane Doe, 2009-001) may have 1 or
> more contacts (other family members) in the CONTACTS sheet. So we might
> have
> an entry in the CONTACT sheet like 2009-001-01, CASE_LAST_NAME = Doe,
> CASE_FIRST_NAME = Jane, CONTACT_LAST_NAME = Doe, CONTACT_FIRST_NAME =
> Zippy.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

0
Bob
4/14/2010 1:10:28 PM
thanks, Bob. I'm just working with a legacy system that I inherited. I can
check to see if it's permissable to have it all on one sheet--that would be
more convenient in many ways--but there may be some reason we have the
mother's info on one sheet separate from the contact's info on the second
sheet.

Thanks!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Anne,
>
> There seems to be unnecessary replication of data here.
>
> I think I would just have one sheet with all of the data stored there, like
> a database, and have other sheets giving the particular views, say Patients
> and Contacts, which are just formula linking into the database, or even a
> simple VBA report (although I must admit I was not clear on points 3 on).
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> Bob
>
> "Anne" <Anne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello! I have a workbook that tracks patients (mothers) and contacts
> > (mom's
> > family members). The mother worksheet is named MAT_INF and the contacts
> > one
> > is named CONTACTS.
> >
> > 1. In MAT_INF, I have a field named CASE_NUMBER. How can I tell this field
> > to automatically start out with a value like "2009-"?  An example case
> > number
> > would look like 2009-001 or 2010-099.
> >
> > 2. Once CASE_NUMBER, LAST_NAME_MOM and FIRST_NAME_MOM have been populated
> > by
> > the user in MAT_INF, how can I automate adding those values to the CONTACT
> > sheet, where the corresponding fields are named CASE_NUMBER,
> > CASE_LAST_NAME
> > and CASE_FIRST_NAME?
> >
> > 3. Once CASE_NUMBER in the CONTACT sheet has been brought over from the
> > MAT_INF sheet, how can I add a sequential number to it? For example, for
> > CASE_NUMBER 2009-001 from the MAT_INF sheet, with LAST_NAME_MOM equal to
> > Doe
> > and FIRST_NAME_MOM equal to Jane, how would I get the CONTACT information
> > look like CASE_NUMBER 2009-001-01, CASE_LAST_NAME equal to Doe and
> > CASE_FIRST_NAME equal to Jane?
> >
> > Each CASE_NUMBER from the MAT_INF sheet (Jane Doe, 2009-001) may have 1 or
> > more contacts (other family members) in the CONTACTS sheet. So we might
> > have
> > an entry in the CONTACT sheet like 2009-001-01, CASE_LAST_NAME = Doe,
> > CASE_FIRST_NAME = Jane, CONTACT_LAST_NAME = Doe, CONTACT_FIRST_NAME =
> > Zippy.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
> >

> .

Anne,

With a bit of work, you still have the separate reports. It is better to
have the data consolidated, it is so much easier to get any view you want
then.

--

> thanks, Bob. I'm just working with a legacy system that I inherited. I can
> check to see if it's permissable to have it all on one sheet--that would
> be
> more convenient in many ways--but there may be some reason we have the
> mother's info on one sheet separate from the contact's info on the second
> sheet.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
>> Anne,
>>
>> There seems to be unnecessary replication of data here.
>>
>> I think I would just have one sheet with all of the data stored there,
>> like
>> a database, and have other sheets giving the particular views, say
>> Patients
>> and Contacts, which are just formula linking into the database, or even a
>> simple VBA report (although I must admit I was not clear on points 3 on).
>>
>> --
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> "Anne" <Anne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello! I have a workbook that tracks patients (mothers) and contacts
>> > (mom's
>> > family members). The mother worksheet is named MAT_INF and the contacts
>> > one
>> > is named CONTACTS.
>> >
>> > 1. In MAT_INF, I have a field named CASE_NUMBER. How can I tell this
>> > field
>> > to automatically start out with a value like "2009-"?  An example case
>> > number
>> > would look like 2009-001 or 2010-099.
>> >
>> > 2. Once CASE_NUMBER, LAST_NAME_MOM and FIRST_NAME_MOM have been
>> > populated
>> > by
>> > the user in MAT_INF, how can I automate adding those values to the
>> > CONTACT
>> > sheet, where the corresponding fields are named CASE_NUMBER,
>> > CASE_LAST_NAME
>> > and CASE_FIRST_NAME?
>> >
>> > 3. Once CASE_NUMBER in the CONTACT sheet has been brought over from the
>> > MAT_INF sheet, how can I add a sequential number to it? For example,
>> > for
>> > CASE_NUMBER 2009-001 from the MAT_INF sheet, with LAST_NAME_MOM equal
>> > Doe
>> > and FIRST_NAME_MOM equal to Jane, how would I get the CONTACT
>> > information
>> > look like CASE_NUMBER 2009-001-01, CASE_LAST_NAME equal to Doe and
>> > CASE_FIRST_NAME equal to Jane?
>> >
>> > Each CASE_NUMBER from the MAT_INF sheet (Jane Doe, 2009-001) may have 1
>> > or
>> > more contacts (other family members) in the CONTACTS sheet. So we might
>> > have
>> > an entry in the CONTACT sheet like 2009-001-01, CASE_LAST_NAME = Doe,
>> > CASE_FIRST_NAME = Jane, CONTACT_LAST_NAME = Doe, CONTACT_FIRST_NAME =
>> > Zippy.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
>> >

>> .

0
Bob

CRM 3.0 Implementation

Problems with creating a newsletter

Meeting updates #2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

printing 2 charts on single page

asap utilities question
I have Msft. Excel Vsn 2002 and latest vsn. of ASAP Utilities. I used ASAP Utilities to merge single rows of data together so that more than one row will fit on a single line of text. My question now, is, is it possible using ASAP Utilities to separate the data that has been merged back into single rows of data? All information welcomed! Aaron ...

Isinteg Warning Message Question

Offline folder problems #2

crm 3.0 error 03-01-06

Receiving Transaction Entry #2

Dotfuscator question
Hello Everybody !!! When i create programm using C# i must understand that my programm from exe - module can be converted to the source file by Reflector. In Order do not allow do this i must use dotfuscator, but i did not find any free normal dotfuscator. May be someone tell me what can i do cause now as think we have interesting paradox. We 've got free technology but if we want to protect our products we must buy expensive commercial dotfuscators. Alex Dmitriev You should post this message in a newsgroup which discusses managed code. This newsgroup does not have much managed traff...

Showing 3:54PM instead of 3:54:03PM

VCard issue #2

Hyperlink problem #3

Rounding Numbers #3