When extracting from column A no data

Hi
I have the following function extracting data from a seperate workbook

=TEXT([SurveillanceDup.xls]RDBMergeSheet!B2,)

Data is extracted to the new workbook

When I use
 =TEXT([SurveillanceDup.xls]RDBMergeSheet!A2,)

No data is extracted

There is data on Column A and B the SurveillanceDup.xls.

This is a strange one

Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks
Eddie

0
webels

OK I just figured it is something to do with TEXT, but cannot find
another function.

On May 5, 1:14=A0pm, webels <eid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I have the following function extracting data from a seperate workbook
>
> =3DTEXT([SurveillanceDup.xls]RDBMergeSheet!B2,)
>
> Data is extracted to the new workbook
>
> When I use
> =A0=3DTEXT([SurveillanceDup.xls]RDBMergeSheet!A2,)
>
> No data is extracted
>
> There is data on Column A and B the SurveillanceDup.xls.
>
> This is a strange one
>
> Has anyone any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Eddie

0
webels
5/5/2010 1:13:35 PM
On May 5, 2:13=A0pm, webels <eid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK I just figured it is something to do with TEXT, but cannot find
> another function.
>
> On May 5, 1:14=A0pm, webels <eid...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi
> > I have the following function extracting data from a seperate workbook
>
> > =3DTEXT([SurveillanceDup.xls]RDBMergeSheet!B2,)
>
> > Data is extracted to the new workbook
>
> > When I use
> > =A0=3DTEXT([SurveillanceDup.xls]RDBMergeSheet!A2,)
>
> > No data is extracted
>
> > There is data on Column A and B the SurveillanceDup.xls.
>
> > This is a strange one
>
> > Has anyone any ideas?
>
> > Thanks
> > Eddie- Hide quoted text -

OK sorted just remove TEXT "duuuuuh"
0
webels
5/5/2010 1:20:46 PM
I tried:
=text(a1,)
in B1.

If A1 contained text, it showed up nicely.

But if A1 was a number, I didn't see anything.  So I'm guessing you have a
number in that other cell.

--

Dave Peterson
0
On May 5, 2:21=A0pm, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> I tried:
> =3Dtext(a1,)
> in B1.
>
> If A1 contained text, it showed up nicely.
>
> But if A1 was a number, I didn't see anything. =A0So I'm guessing you hav=
e a
> number in that other cell.
>

> webels wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > I have the following function extracting data from a seperate workbook
>
> > =3DTEXT([SurveillanceDup.xls]RDBMergeSheet!B2,)
>
> > Data is extracted to the new workbook
>
> > When I use
> > =A0=3DTEXT([SurveillanceDup.xls]RDBMergeSheet!A2,)
>
> > No data is extracted
>
> > There is data on Column A and B the SurveillanceDup.xls.
>
> > This is a strange one
>
> > Has anyone any ideas?
>
> > Thanks
> > Eddie
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson- Hide quoted text -

Yeah Dave that is right, just remove text and do a direct extract from
A2 give the number.
0
webels

how do I remove Carriage Returns from a column in a spreadsheet?
I have some data that I am manipulating in Excel to do an export to another application. I need to be able to do a universal find and replace to get rid of instances of Carriage Returns and Line Feeds within the data. I have tried the basic find and replace functions but I don't know how to make them find a carriage return character. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Doug You could use a 'helper' column and the SUBSTITUTE function This one replaces line feeds with nothing =SUBSTITUTE(C2,CHAR(10),"") Use CHAR(13) for carriage returns You can then Edit>P...

Problem about the data refer path.
Hi All, I do all the work on the network driver, says L:. For example, I have a excel file on the L driver, named XXX.xls. One field in the file is refer to a field in another file on the L driver in following path: L:\aaa\bbb\ccc.xls. But do not know when i find that this field in XXX.xls refer to a local file : C:\documents and setting\username\application data\microsoft\excel\xlstart\aaa\bbb\ccc.xls. Anybody who knows that problem, could help me. Thanks so much in advance!!!! Thanks a lot. Yue One way to handle this (if it's possible) is to have all of your related files in...

Importing data from multiple sources
I need to import data of members from two different sources, and then compare the data. Is there an easy way of doing this? -- Ted in Chicago You could import the data from the two sources, creating a table for each. Then, you can create a query that compares the data in the tables. "TedChicago" wrote: > I need to import data of members from two different sources, and then compare > the data. Is there an easy way of doing this? > -- > Ted in Chicago .... and as an alternative, you may be able to link to, rather than import, the data. You could ...

Graphing Recommendation Requested for Dynamic Data
All, I would appreciate a recommendation on how to graph the following: 13 weeks of data (dynamic) for 6 entities, compared year to year as each week populates with current data. Simple solutions are greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

comparing cells in one column to another
I have a column on a spreadsheet and an array of strings. I need to look at the first cell on the spreadsheet and find a matching value in the array of strings. This is how I am doing that With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(Tracker).Range("Order_Number_Header") For E = 0 To Total_Rows_On_Spreadsheet - 1 For F = 0 To Total_Elements_In_Array - 1 If .Offset(E, 0) = FTS_Order_Number(F) Then msgbox"I Have a Match end if next F next E end with Nothing is matching and I know there are some matches. When I display the value in the fields I see "12345678" for both fields. The f...

Modifying data
Hello, I have a simple spreadsheet with 2000 vendors names in the first column A and address ect data in columns B - K. How can I get the data to reformat to have column A list the vendor name in Cell A1 and all the other info be presnet in B1-10 and then continue for all 2000 vendor names. I've torn my hair out over this....I'm sure it's simple but I haven't had any luck at all... Any thoughts appreciated. Thank You, Extreem Are you trying to make mailing labels? If so you are much better off keeping your data in its current format and using it as a data source in...

compare data in sheets and delete the duplicates
Hi, Before i stary begging for help thanks for looking at my post an input / suggestions will be welcome. On to the problem. I have one workbook with 2 sheets. The first shee contains multiple columns each hold either numbers or letters neve both. The second sheet has only one column it contains numbers. What need to do is take the information on sheet two and compare it it t the column on sheet one for duplicate entrys. When duplicate are foun on sheet one's column i need it to delete the row that the dupe wa found on. So far i have tried the information posted concerning filters howe...

How do I create a one variable data table? #2

Counting the number of fields in a column that have data?
I have an Excel document with about 5,300 rows. One of the columns has data entered only into some of the fields, maybe 100 of the 5,300 rows. Is there an easy way to get Excel to count all of the fields in that column that have data entered in it? Thanks! On 1/25/10 4:57 PM, in article eW3gilgnKHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, "Rick" <someone@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have an Excel document with about 5,300 rows. One of the columns has > data entered only into some of the fields, maybe 100 of the 5,300 rows. > > Is there an easy way to get Excel to cou...

extracting data from a text string of varying length
is there anyway to get a computed value for the square inches in the following cell: LightJet Mural - from Provided File (8.5X11) Normal I am trying to compute usage from parts that are named with the dimension embedded in the description - and the dimensions varies with each description. the dimension is always embedded as shown (widthxheight). the text string surrounding the numerical data vaires in length thanks for your collective wisdom, excel gurus... try using instr x=instr(string, y=instr( ' A textual comparison starting at position 4. Returns 6. MyPos = Instr(4, SearchStr...

worksheet has 1 page of data but is 84 pages long
I have several worksheets in a workbook but 1 worksheet is 84 pages long with only data to fill 1 page. What can I do to reduce it to the single page it really is? Hi Donna, What happens if you select all empty cells, Clear All, save, close then reopen? Ken Johnson Most likely there is a cell somewhere that inadvertently got filled with data somehow. The fixes for this are: 1. Define the print range to include just the real data; or 2. Highlight, then delete or clear all the columns to the right of your desired data, and highlight and delete or clear all the rows below your desired data....

Copying a column from several similar sheets into one sheet
I have several worksheets in one workbook and I want to merge/copy one column from each worksheet (the same column) (Like this, just imagine more columns with more data on several worksheets Date 06052003 Actual 13 FMT 12 % 87 ) and put these columns into rows so that each worksheet's data will descend vertically (EX: Date Actual FMT % 06052003 13 12 87 06062003 12 15 89 06072003 11 17 90 That's what I want, Please help me to do it. ...

Data refresh problem
I downloaded an xl template worksheet which has links to MSN Money website (for updating stock prices) As I have xl97, and the worksheet was created in a later version, I saved it as a xl97 worksheet. When I 'refresh data' it downloads the latest prices.........sometimes. More usually I get the message 'xl has encountered a problem, and needs to close..' Any ideas on what might be causing this? If I knew how the link works, I could start with a new worksheet, but I can't find any web queries relating to this worksheet. Brickcounter Brickcounter, If you know where a...

Gathering Survey data
Hi, Please can someone point me in the right direction. I need to create a survey - which can be completed very quickly usin Excel on a Pocket PC/PDA. It will have 6 or so Yes/No Question/Answers. Is it possible to be able to simply press Yes or No, and that respons be collated in a spreadsheet when finished. The data would be collecte off hundreds of respondants quickly so it needs to be fairl interactive. Probably some help sheet somewhere?? Suppose the questio is that can a macro or hyperlink generate a field to be populated i the background? Thanks Andre -- ajw15 ----------------...

Sql Server Indexing With Two or More Columns
I got a question with indexing. If I create an index and select 2 or more columns, what is the difference with that and creating 2 (or more separate ) indexes for them? Thanks mark It depends on what you are doing If you have WHERE Last=@p1 AND First=@p2 there no need to have two indexes , however having WHERE First=@p2 the first index on Last,First may or may not be useful, so in that case having two NCI may be a good idea I mean you need testing it, and make a decision.Also there is no need to create NCI on every column, it is especially true in SQL Server 2005 and onwards w...

Update Public/Busy Data ???
I'm in the process of resolving a few critical issues with the way Outlook 2000 is performing after reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling everything including Office 2000 Professional. Issues seem to be only with Outlook at this point (I'm one week 4). After having moved my pst folder back to where I think the default directory is supposed to be (C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Applications Data\Microsoft\Outlook), a window appeared - at least 15 minutes to half an hour later - that read: Microsoft Outlook Unable to update public free/busy data. Operation failed. Can someone please...

Paper Data Entry Form
Hello, I have a form with many fields. Some of the fields are combo boxes based on value lists where the value list could have up to 5 different choices. Field Example: Incision Dimension (Value List: 2.0, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4) I need a paper copy of the form that users can fill out. Is there an easy way to do this such that the fields which are combo boxes will be presented with all the value list choices (i.e., Incision Dimension (2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4) so the user is aware of all the choices and perhaps circles the relevant one? I know I could print the form but it would not capture the value o...

SUMMARIZING DATA BASED ON DATES GROUPED IN WEEKS
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C6ED3C.00C7C2B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello! 1) The RAW DATA SHEET is where I maintain a cash receipt register in a = list form on a daily basis. Any date may have multiple entries due to = different customer payment. 2) The SUMMARY SHEET shows how I want to summarize the data contained in = RAW DATA SHEET. Basically the summary sheet is summing based on the date = grouped in weeks. =20 RAW DATA SHEET DATE DAY CUSTOMER AMOUNT=20 ...

Flattening XML data during deserialization
Hi, If I have an XML file that stores its data in a hierarchical relationship, is there a way to automatically "flatten" this relationship when I deserialize it (using the XmlSerializer) to a collection of objects? For example, assume that I have an XML file that contains the following data for lastnames/firstnames: Anderson Bob Ann Jones Betty Fred Mark Smith Paul Gina I'd like to deserialize this file into a set of "Person" objects, with each Person containing both a lastname and firstname (rather than separate "LastName" and ...

Sharing Data between Password Protected Spreadsheets
I have two documents. Document A pulls data from document B. Both must be password protected and have the same password. When I open document A, enter its password, and tell it to update from document B I then have to enter the password from document B. Is there any way to make entering the password for document A satisfy the need to enter the password for document B? ...

Funny yellow box when i paste data
I use excel to paste option tables from etrade so I can edit them. I never had a problem with this, but recently when i paste my data a little yellow box with what appears to be a scroll icon inside of it appears in the upper left corner of certain cells. I've noticed a drastic decrease in preformance since this has start. One of my sheets is completly unworkable in fact. What is this box and how can I keep it from being displayed? Thanks for any help. Excel has built in error checking, which is of very limited usefulness. You can turn it off from the Options dialog (fr...

% as column not Pie
Im trying to create a single column chart to express three values as a percentage of the overall total. It works using the default pie chart but I cant get it to express the values in a vertical single column. Thanks for any tips or help in advance. In the chart wizard, select the 100% Stacked Column chart type, the top left option of the Column chart family. If your three values are aligned horizontally in the sheet, make sure the chart is aligned by columns (or vice versa). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions ht...

data labels in xy scatter #2
John Mansfield I've read your post about I'm interested in this matter and I tested your sugestion but it gives Sintax Error on this instruction: Set RngLabels = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Select the label range:", Type:=8) Can it be because I'm workin with Portuguese version of MS EXcel 2003? What can I do? -- Arcindo RA Lucas -- Arcindo RA Lucas ...

saving data from a formula into a variable
hi all, does anyone know how to save data coming form formulaarray directly to a variable? How about you getting your formula to work in the worksheet? Then copy|paste that working formula into your reply. It'll be easier to modify that than to start from scratch. yaniv.dg@gmail.com wrote: > > hi all, > does anyone know how to save data coming form formulaarray directly to > a variable? -- Dave Peterson haven't we been here before? -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) <yaniv.dg@gmail.com> wrote in mess...

How do I compare data in two worksheets to find matching cells?
Each day I work with two worksheets. One is a list of numbers that is given to me by someone else. The other list is something I make myself, again it is a list of numbers. I need to know if there is a way I can compare the data to find out if any of the numbers I input on my list match up to the ones on the list I am given. I am aware of the "Find" function, but I'm working with lists of hundreds of numbers, and it's really annoying to take each one and "find" it on another worksheet. Any answers? Hi Gary, See Chip Pearson's Tagging Duplicates page. In ...