VBA Input box (or MsgBox) with pull down or choices

Hello,
MS Excel 2003 on XP PRO.

I'm looking to generate a popup (msg box or input box) that instead of free
form text has a "combobox" or "pulldown" to it.  So that the user picks a
value from a list, and hits OK.  This way they can't input incorrect values.

Is this possible?  If not I have back up methods but this would be PERFECT
for my application.

Thanks,
--
BlueWolverine
MSE - Mech. Eng.

Many options here.

From a simple worksheet Data Validation List to a UserForm with controls.

In between can be Combox, ListBox etc.

Depends what you want to do with the selection.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:28:03 -0700, BlueWolverine
<BlueWolverine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>MS Excel 2003 on XP PRO.
>
>I'm looking to generate a popup (msg box or input box) that instead of free
>form text has a "combobox" or "pulldown" to it.  So that the user picks a
>value from a list, and hits OK.  This way they can't input incorrect values.
>
>Is this possible?  If not I have back up methods but this would be PERFECT
>for my application.
>
>Thanks,

0
Gord
3/31/2010 6:52:47 PM
You might find this helpful:

http://www.contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html

It gives several examples of how to create a UserForm and put controls on
it, which is baxically what you are asking about in your post.

"BlueWolverine" <BlueWolverine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> MS Excel 2003 on XP PRO.
>
> I'm looking to generate a popup (msg box or input box) that instead of
> free
> form text has a "combobox" or "pulldown" to it.  So that the user picks a
> value from a list, and hits OK.  This way they can't input incorrect
> values.
>
> Is this possible?  If not I have back up methods but this would be PERFECT
> for my application.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> BlueWolverine
> MSE - Mech. Eng.
> Go BLUE!

0
JLGWhiz

Run macro only after all combo boxes are filled
Hy I have a form with a few comboboxes the users have to use to input the relevant data. At the end there is a button that runs a macro that calculates result according the selections made in combo boxes. I would like to know if there is a way to restrict this macro to be run only if all the comboboxes were used (selection from the list was made in the each combobox). Any simple way to do this? Thank you One nice way that could be used is to keep the "ok" button disabled until all the controls are non-empty. I created a small userform with 2 comboboxes (I'm lazy!), a label ...

Edit Box with floats
Could someone help me with the simple problem of retriving a float value entered into an Edit Box for use in calculations. I would prefer using a Control Variable created with the Class Wizard, and not using the UpDateData( ) method. Also if possible, creating a float member varible with the Class Wizard. Example: m_cEditCtrl //edit control m_fAmount //float member variable I haven't tried this, but is GetWindowText( ) used. Or is this used only for strings. Example: m_cEditCtrl.GetWindowText( m_fAmount); cdg schrieb: > Could someone help me with the simple problem ...

VBA
Hi, recently learned the joy of pasting an entire 2D array into an excel range in one step instead of looping through array elements and pasting into individual cells. I use a collection to populate the array and the downside is everything comes out as strings, regardless of the data type of the items originally read into the collection. Also case sensitivity is ignored (makes me very unhappy). Finally, am not aware of a "quick" method in VBA to sort an array of several hundred thousand elements ... would sorting a collection be quicker? Below is the code, if helpful in answer...

Excel 2003 - VBA
I must be missing something when it comes to buttons. I have on on my "STRAT" sheet a button called StratAFBut. It's been declared as a Public Button. When the system reacts to the button being depressed, I can ensure that it is recognized by adding the following statement, before I test the button: Set StratAFBut = ActiveSheet.Buttons(Application.Caller) I can then test the button without issue. I have a routine embedded on the STRAT sheet that reacts to a double click(DC) on a cell. The routine checks to make sure that the DC was in the expected column, that the entr...

Calculating age in a label or text box on a form
Hello All, I have a text box for birthdate for a user to enter the birthdate and I want to the age for the user to be automatically calcuated and displayed in another label called "Age." What formula can I use? Missy ...

VBA
Hi! I have a template where I have allowed users to insert rows. I use the following code: Range("a52").Select Selection.EntireRow.Insert Rows("53:53").Copy Rows("52:52").Select Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlFormulas, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:= False, Transpose:=False Range("a2").Select However, when the user closes the file - there is a huge amt of data on the clip board and I do not want the user to get the message - is there a way for me to clear the information on the clip board? Also what does "Applica...

VBA: text same color as cell background color
I'm using the following code (compliments of Otto Moehrbach)to color cells a specific color, depending on cell contents: Sub ChangeColor() Dim Cell As Range Dim RngToCheck As Range With Sheets("Chart") Set RngToCheck = .Range("B9:G20", .Range (.UsedRange.Address)) End With For Each Cell In RngToCheck With Sheets("Chart") Select Case .Range(Cell.Address).Value Case "EX" Cell.Interior.Color = vbMagenta Case "CS" Cell.Inter...

Disable Add-Ins using VBA Excel 2003
I am interested in knowing if it is possible to disable an add-in in the workbook open event using VBA. I have just identified a problem with the Dymo LabelWriter add-in that is causing one of my workbooks to error out. Since we don't need the Dymo printer (or any printer) for this workbook I would like to disable the add-in. Please tell me how I can do this. I speak pretty poor VB so an example is much appreciated. Thanks, MJ Hi, This would uninstall the Analysis toolpak so substiitute with you addin name Sub UnInstall_Addins() Dim XLAddin As AddIn For Each X...

Combo box #2
Hi, how to make a combo box available to other cells in the same columns ?? thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Maybe you could use Data|Validation for all the cells you need???? angy345 wrote: > > Hi, how to make a combo box available to other cells in the same columns > ?? > > thanks > > ------------------------------------------------ > ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ > ~~ View and post usenet mess...

Excel Combo box help
Hi everybody, I have a simple question regarding how a combo box works in excel. I open a combo box from the Forms toolbar. Combo box means that I can either choose from the selection menu EITHER WRITE my own text. My problem is that I cannot write my own text choosing the combo from the Forms tolbar, I can only select the cells from which populate the menu. How can I write my own text in the combo box? Many thanks in advance for your help! Regards Max -- maxmil ------------------------------------------------------------------------ maxmil's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/membe...

excel vba language refernce manual
Is there an excel VBA language manual? The only one that I specifically know of is in the Excel VBA help file, on your system. There are numerous texts you can buy that describe the language specifics. I just did a google search and came up with a variety of responses. http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLD_enUS324US324&q=vba+language+manual If this was helpful, please click yes, in the response below. "leon jinich" wrote: > Is there an excel VBA language manual? Assuming you have the Help files loaded, go into th...

How can I stop Outlook to run subsequent rules from VBA function bound to currently running rule?
Hi, Let's assume I have Outlook "Rule A" that runs a function from VBA script. In the function I change "stop processing more rules" property of the "Rule A". The question is: should I expect that after Outlook VBA will complete execution of the function, decision if to process rule following "Rule A" or not will be driven by the current state of "stop processing more rules" that I changed in the function? Or is there any other alternative way to force Outlook stop execution of the rules next to "Rule A" from the function (is ...

Modifier/VBA related question
Hi How can we access a field added in a dex window through modifier using Dexterity? Or How can we access hided field of dex window in VBA? Thanks & Regards Pradeep M V Fields in a modified 3rd party window cannot be accessed from Dexterity. However with Version 9 SP1, these fields are accessable using VS tools. You can also access fields in a modified 3rd party window using VBA. In VBA, if the field is hidden, you need to first show the field, add it to VBA and then you can hide it again. Once the field is in VBA you can access it wether it is visible or not. Steve Hudson ...

Acc10 loses Acc9 libraries after viewing VBA
I will be preparing to run some of my clients' Access 2000 databases under Access 2002. Tested the first one this AM. Was able to open the DB OK. Was able to execute the startup macro manually until I tried to open a module - just to view the code, not change it. The first messages I saw said, "You must have Visual SourceSafe version 6.0 or later installed to run the VBA Source Code Control Add-In." I do not intend to use/have not used VSS. After clicking OK several times (same message), it launched the VBA editor. I closed it without making any changes, but, when...

Text box
When I print the Text box, I must have several lines in the Text box below the last line, otherwise the last few lines in the Text box do not print. So how can I shrink the Text box without losing the last few lines. Thanks. -- Ed In article <0BFC6F3F-3915-4C52-AD49-E87B605AD29D@microsoft.com>, Ed <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I print the Text box, I must have several lines in the Text box below > the last line, otherwise the last few lines in the Text box do not print. So > how can I shrink the Text box without losing the last few lines. Which ap...

Apply Contact's Photo via VBA or DotNet?
Hi, Is there a way to apply a photo to a contact via VBA or DotNet? Thank you. No.=20 FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for general Outlook programming = issues "down the hall" at microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba or, via = web interface, at = http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=3Dmicroso= ft.public.outlook.program_vba --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and De...

Inventory Item Integration Failing to pull in Qty On Hand #2
This has turned out into a nightmare for me. On the Integration Template Destination mappings for Inventory Item the field for Qty on Hand is nowhere to be found, I have exhausted the GP 8.0 SDK and still I find the information meanigless.Can someone point me in the right direction? Guys I am not looking for a solution just a guideline that will take me in the right direction,so do not offer me assistance outside this forum. Problem: I want to import data from a tabbed CSV file in to the IV tables but the problem is that using the Integration Manager there is no allownace for pulling ...

Finding and Deleting attachment via VBA when attachment (*.xls) is opened
Hi everybody! Dave suggested I post my request here. The post is also at: http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23831&goto=newpost Some time ago, during last year, I had a post like this. It was partially answered, but I then stopped it because, mainly, it bordered on creating a virus, someone thought. I am, however, seriously considering distributing workbooks via the e-mail system and want to 1) prevent clientA from forwarding it to non-paying clientB (I may make use of ReadNotify.com's feature that prevents this (From what I read!)). 2) I also want to prevent clientA f...

Excel 2000 VBA problem
Can someone please advise me how I would write a VBA routine to scroll through each row of a spreadsheet and delete the row if one particular column value <>"" . I should mention that there is a formula in this column - IF (H1= "","",networkdays etc etc. I am trying to keep all the lines where a formula evaluates to "" and delete all the rows where it has been evaluated I cannot find a methodology to increment each row to the bottom of the sheet. I also wish to know whether Excel 2000 automatically adjusts the formulas after the row above has b...

FILL COLOR BOX MISSING
I lost the color fill box and can't get it back Reset your toolbars, Louie. (See Restore Any Toolbar) http://www.officearticles.com/misc/menu_and_toolbar_tips_for_all_microsoft_office_applications.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Louie" <Louie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A61D855B-EDF2-4AAC-9ED2-F96D6AF0CD89@microsoft.com... >I lost the color fill box and can't get it back ...

Rules on Additional mail boxes
Hi, I am using outlook 2000. And I have configured an additional mailbox in the Microsoft exchange server profile. And now I am able to view mails sent to my id as well as to my group id(additional mail box). But I am not able to set any rules for the mails to my additional mail box (like notification messages when a new mail arrives, etc).. Please let me know how to set rules (client rules) for the additional mailbox. Thanks in advance Anandth ...

Drop Down box
Good luck understanding my confusing description below: I am making an invoice template ("InvoiceWorksheet") to be used fo multiple products from multiple manufacturers. I would like to select a product from a dropdown box A1 and have al subsequent fields automatically populate with information about m chosen product based on info from the "DataWorksheet" (a secon worksheet within this Excel file). _InvoiceWorksheet_setup:_ Cell A1 - I select BlueWidget from a dropdown. Cell A2 - automatically populates with BlueWidgetManufacturerName. Cell A3 - automatically populates...

INF What is the IID for VBE/VBA/VBIDE?
INF What is the IID for VBE/VBA/VBIDE? Please help, I want to use QueryInterface of various Microsoft Office Objects to see if they have/extend VBE. I know that MC-Office Object model for Word, Excel, etc, has things like Document.VBProject, but I specifically want to use QueryInterface given an IDispatch pointer to some Office Object. Example: pIDispatch_WordDocObject->QueryInterface(IID_?????~~VBE/VBA/VBIDE, (void **) &pVBE); Anyone have any information on this? "ATS" wrote: > INF What is the IID for VBE/VBA/VBIDE? > > Please help, > > I want to ...

text box LINK #2
How do you link a text box so that you type a heading one time, but it also appears automatically in another text box within the document? Not sure if link is the correct word? I am using Publisher 2002. Thanks. You cannot. You can also copy and paste the Text Frame many times. You can create a Merge file if you have many to do. "Elena" <Elena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:499CAE09-F0A0-400B-AA03-5302E7F026BB@microsoft.com... > How do you link a text box so that you type a heading one time, but it > also > appears automatically in another ...

viewing emails in mail box
I have a security issue that demands review of another persons email box without their knowledge. I would like to view what is currently in their email box and monitor it for the next 30 days. I can use the forward to option to view future emails but not sure this is the best option and how do I view the current email box. We are using Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003. Journaling will do this. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Implementing-Exchange-2003-Message-Journaling.html It works at the store level, but you can create a separate store and move only the user you want to journal t...