Using column labels instead of column numbers

I am using Excel 2000

I want to create a module to avoid using a lage number of complex formulas.

In Excel (Options) you can elect to use labels in formulas.

Can I use labels in a module and if I can, how do I reference them?

The reason for this is that I have to pass the spreadsheet on and the user
is likely to insert columns, or reorder the columns,  without thinking of the
consequences.

What I am hoping is that by using labels, if the column is moved the
calculations will still work as they will still be referncing the correct
data.

I am doing a job which would be better, and more easily, done in a database
but that option is not available to me.

Thank you in advance for any help or assistance you can give me.

Sean Bishop

On the worksheet menu use

Insert - Names - Define

On the worksheet use the name as the reference like in any formula

In VBA use Ragne("ABC") wiht the named range in double quotes.

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229

joel
12/19/2009 12:44:28 PM
Thank you Joel.

Once you had told me the answer was obvious but thank you anyway

Sean

"joel" wrote:

> On the worksheet menu use
>
> Insert - Names - Define
>

> On the worksheet use the name as the reference like in any formula
>
> In VBA use Ragne("ABC") wiht the named range in double quotes.
>

> --
> joel
> joel's Profile: 229
> View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=163923
>
> [url="http://www.thecodecage.com"]Microsoft Office Help[/url]
>
> .

if cell is text move left one column

Using scanner in Word97

Using later version of microsoft access

Sorting on Column headers
I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I really need to save time with this project if possible. Thanks!:) --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ > I have a spreedsheet that someone else created and I need to take the > Column headers, which are in date form, and rearrange them in > chronological order. Can this be done without cutting and pasting? I > really need to save time with this project if possib...

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

Format for credit card numbers

limit the number of outgoing messages
Hi, who can I limit the number of concurrent outgoing messages? for example: if I have a queue of 1000 messages, how can I force exchange to send only 50 messages at a time? ...

Dynamic Range Selection Using VBA

XY Scatter Map with Test Labels
Sorry if this is a repeated request, but I'm trying to show the distribution of 16 points (labelled A through P) using X-Y coordinates. When I turn on labels, I can show either the X-positions (label) or Y-positions (value), but I really want to show the text name "A" through "P". Can this be automated in Excel? Thanks for any advice. Hi Mike, The easiest thing to do is use a free addin utility to allow you to link data labels to cells. Try Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler add-in http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Cheers Andy Mike K. wrote...

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Using Publisher 200 with Publisher 2003

Numbering in Book Files
I am creating a tech manual where each chapter is its own file. I have created an outline numbered list and saved the list in a template that I then use to create the new chapters. However, I am finding that when I go into a new chapter that the outline numbering does not pick up on the chapter (Heading 1) number. For example: Chapter 1: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. But when I start my next chapter, when I update the chapter number to start at 2, I get this: Chapter 2: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. ...

Character Length in a column
I have a column where every cell must have 14 characters. Lets say have the name Angel. I need 9 more charcters. Next cell down have the word cake. I need 10 more charcters.How do I automatciall insert the spaces I need to have 14 charcters. HELP PLEASE!!!!! GOIN NUTS ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements One way: Do you care about what characters are added? I'l...

Freeze the side column/top row & scroll others
what is the function to set (lock in or freeze) the first column and / or top row of a spreadsheet, so the words and numbers remain in the same place as you scroll the other columns and rows. (so you can add more columns..yet keep the main information in the first column/row) Freeze Panes..... In older versions of Excel, it is under Window. In 2007 version of Excel, it is under View. You first select a cell, then activate the command. Excel uses the selected cell's upper left corner to define the freeze point. Play with it. You can also Unfreeze panes that were fro...

How to use different return email addresses
I use outlook 98. I have a mailbox with three aliases. People sending me emails can use any of the three email aliases and the email will arrive in the same mailbox. Accessing the mailbox once will retrieve all messages regardless of which alias was used. If I reply to these emails though, I want the recipient to think that the email has come from the alias that they originally used. What outlook always seems to do is use the email address of the service that is listed first in Tools->Services->Delivery. Is there any way Outlook can be set up so when I reply to a given email, my email ...

Locating a number for a MS office
I have lost the boklet that accompanies my CD. However, I am unable to locate a number to contact someone. Any thoughts. I think if you ever learned how to contact them directly, they'd put a hit out on you. (Seriously, visit the MS website and drill down through the tech support area until you find the numbers you need. Good luck.) -- The problem with resting on your laurels is that eventually you are sitting on dead branches. JoAnn "ziggy" <ziggyzaggy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0a4c01c36747$0fb00a40$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have lost the boklet that...

SQL Statement trying to call column not specified in statement
I'm having some trouble with a sql statement within my sub. For some reason, it wants to reference CLPROPSTRTNMBER when I specifically asked for CLPROPSTRTNMBR (which is the correct column name). The code is below. I cannot figure out why it's trying to pull this reference. Public Sub D2REDataCall() Call DBConnect sql = "SELECT CLMAILADDRESS,CLMAILCITY,CLMAILSTATE,CLMAILZIP,CLPROPSTRTNMBR,CLPROPSTREETADDR,CLPROPSTREETUNIT,CLPROPCITY,CLPROPSTATE,CLPROPZIP,CLPROPCOUNTY,CLCREDITREPORTDT,CLRATEEFFECTIVEDT,CLCLOSEDT,CLTOTALLOANAMT,CLINTERESTRATE,CLTILAPR,CLTERM FROM " & tblC...

combination clustered column and stacked bar chart
I have data concerning the repair turn-around for three products over several months. There are two components to the turn-around time for any item, i.e., actual labor time and wait time. I want to graph this as a clustered column, each cluster representing the data for a given month and each bar in a cluster representing one of the products. Now for the tricky part: I want each of the bars to be stacked showing the relationship between the actual labor time and the wait time. John, I don't know if I'm fully understanding what you want. Possibly these two examples can hel...