Time Delayed Response to MsgBox

I have a several "research" files that I set up to run a macro as soon as a
file is opened.  In each case the macro retrieves and summarizes a bunch of
data taking several minutes to execute.  I'm setting up a "master" file with
a simple macro that will open and close each of the "research" files
sequentially so I can run the series of reports without being at the computer
for hours.

There are times where I want to open a "research" file to review the data
but not execute the macro.  I'd like to add a MsgBox that prompts the user to
by-pass the macro.  However, if I do this when I use the "master" file to
open and run the series of "research" files it will just wait for a response
to the MsgBox before proceeding and thus will once again be dependent on
human intervention.

Is there a way to setup the MsgBox so that if it waits for X amount of time
without receiving a response from the user a default value for the response
will be used which will continue running the macro?

Here is an alternative approach that may be a little safer than techniques
like 'sendkeys' to close out your msgboxes; just make the appearance of those
msgboxes contingent on how your file was opened. Here is an example:

In a vbs file (which is in my startup folder, and also a task in windows
scheduler for a 1:00 am run:

Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set objWorkbook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\path\file.xls")
objExcel.Visible = True
objExcel.Run "CrunchIt", "SkipEmailPrompt"
objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Save
objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Close(0)
objExcel.Quit
end if

Sub CrunchIt(Optional EmailAlert As String)

StartTime = Now()

If Sheet19.Range("A2").Value <> Date Then
    If EmailAlert <> "SkipEmailPrompt" Then
        MsgBox "The raw data has not been refreshed yet today; please be
patient while the raw data is refreshed prior to crunching the data",
vbOKOnly, "Current Data Not Found"
    End If
'rest of the code

So by passing the string "SkipEmailPrompt" from the vbs (or from another
workbook, or however you want to call it) you can include or bypass the
sections of code that require user intervention. When this macro is run
without passing along that string, the msgbox is always shown.

HTH,
Keith

On 8 avr, 22:28, JT1977 <JT1...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a several "research" files that I set up to run a macro as soon as=
> file is opened. =A0In each case the macro retrieves and summarizes a bunc=
h of
> data taking several minutes to execute. =A0I'm setting up a "master" file=
 with
> a simple macro that will open and close each of the "research" files
> sequentially so I can run the series of reports without being at the comp=
uter
> for hours.
>
> There are times where I want to open a "research" file to review the data
> but not execute the macro. =A0I'd like to add a MsgBox that prompts the u=
ser to
> by-pass the macro. =A0However, if I do this when I use the "master" file =
> open and run the series of "research" files it will just wait for a respo=
nse
> to the MsgBox before proceeding and thus will once again be dependent on
> human intervention.
>
> Is there a way to setup the MsgBox so that if it waits for X amount of ti=
me
> without receiving a response from the user a default value for the respon=
se
> will be used which will continue running the macro?

Hello,

I would suggest trying to use the VBA Wait function to measure the X
amount of time, and when the time is expired send a  simulated "OK"
key stroke (with VBA SendKeys function ).

Hope this help.

> new1@[no/spam]realce.net  <

0
new1
4/8/2010 9:15:09 PM
Thanks for your help ker_01.  This works great.

This did answer my question but I'm a little more of a novice than what you
assumed.  After working through this I got it to work.  I added some comments
to ker_01's notes to clarify what I did not understand at first

'Place this code in the macro of the master file you are using to open
secondary files
Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
'Opens the secondary file
Set objWorkbook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\path\file.xls")
objExcel.Visible = True
' "CrunchIt" is a subroutine in the secondary file.  The below statement
initiates the running of this macro
' This next statement passes "SkipEmailPrompt" as the value of an optional
variable
' into the macro of the secondary file.  Excel recognizes it as the value for
' this variable because of this statement
objExcel.Run "CrunchIt", "SkipEmailPrompt"

'This subroutine is a macro in the secondary file
'Because the CrunchIt and EmailAlert are in the name of the subroutine it
'recognizes the info from the line above.
 Sub CrunchIt(Optional EmailAlert As String)

'Variable used to skip the MsgBox

"ker_01" wrote:

> Here is an alternative approach that may be a little safer than techniques
> like 'sendkeys' to close out your msgboxes; just make the appearance of those
> msgboxes contingent on how your file was opened. Here is an example:
>
> In a vbs file (which is in my startup folder, and also a task in windows
> scheduler for a 1:00 am run:
>
> Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
> Set objWorkbook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\path\file.xls")
> objExcel.Visible = True
> objExcel.Run "CrunchIt", "SkipEmailPrompt"
> objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Save
> objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Close(0)
> objExcel.Quit
> end if
>
> Sub CrunchIt(Optional EmailAlert As String)
>
> StartTime = Now()
>
> If Sheet19.Range("A2").Value <> Date Then
>     If EmailAlert <> "SkipEmailPrompt" Then
>         MsgBox "The raw data has not been refreshed yet today; please be
> patient while the raw data is refreshed prior to crunching the data",
> vbOKOnly, "Current Data Not Found"
>     End If
> 'rest of the code
>
> So by passing the string "SkipEmailPrompt" from the vbs (or from another
> workbook, or however you want to call it) you can include or bypass the
> sections of code that require user intervention. When this macro is run
> without passing along that string, the msgbox is always shown.
>
> HTH,
> Keith
>
> "JT1977" wrote:
>
> > I have a several "research" files that I set up to run a macro as soon as a
> > file is opened.  In each case the macro retrieves and summarizes a bunch of
> > data taking several minutes to execute.  I'm setting up a "master" file with
> > a simple macro that will open and close each of the "research" files
> > sequentially so I can run the series of reports without being at the computer
> > for hours.
> >
> > There are times where I want to open a "research" file to review the data
> > but not execute the macro.  I'd like to add a MsgBox that prompts the user to
> > by-pass the macro.  However, if I do this when I use the "master" file to
> > open and run the series of "research" files it will just wait for a response
> > to the MsgBox before proceeding and thus will once again be dependent on
> > human intervention.
> >
> > Is there a way to setup the MsgBox so that if it waits for X amount of time
> > without receiving a response from the user a default value for the response
> > will be used which will continue running the macro?
ker_01,

I have the primary vbs file opening and bypassing the code of the secondary
vbs file just fine now.  How do I end the code of the secondary file so it
closes the secondary file and returns control to the next step of the primary
file code?  Right now the code of the secondary code ends but then the code
in the primary file errors out (see below for the code I'm using in the
primary file).

Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Set objWorkbook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("http://www1....)
objExcel.Visible = True
objExcel.Run "Excel_Starts_Here", "SkipUserConfirmation"
ERRORS OUT HERE

"ker_01" wrote:

> Here is an alternative approach that may be a little safer than techniques
> like 'sendkeys' to close out your msgboxes; just make the appearance of those
> msgboxes contingent on how your file was opened. Here is an example:
>
> In a vbs file (which is in my startup folder, and also a task in windows
> scheduler for a 1:00 am run:
>
> Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
> Set objWorkbook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\path\file.xls")
> objExcel.Visible = True
> objExcel.Run "CrunchIt", "SkipEmailPrompt"
> objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Save
> objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Close(0)
> objExcel.Quit
> end if
>
> Sub CrunchIt(Optional EmailAlert As String)
>
> StartTime = Now()
>
> If Sheet19.Range("A2").Value <> Date Then
>     If EmailAlert <> "SkipEmailPrompt" Then
>         MsgBox "The raw data has not been refreshed yet today; please be
> patient while the raw data is refreshed prior to crunching the data",
> vbOKOnly, "Current Data Not Found"
>     End If
> 'rest of the code
>
> So by passing the string "SkipEmailPrompt" from the vbs (or from another
> workbook, or however you want to call it) you can include or bypass the
> sections of code that require user intervention. When this macro is run
> without passing along that string, the msgbox is always shown.
>
> HTH,
> Keith
>
> "JT1977" wrote:
>
> > I have a several "research" files that I set up to run a macro as soon as a
> > file is opened.  In each case the macro retrieves and summarizes a bunch of
> > data taking several minutes to execute.  I'm setting up a "master" file with
> > a simple macro that will open and close each of the "research" files
> > sequentially so I can run the series of reports without being at the computer
> > for hours.
> >
> > There are times where I want to open a "research" file to review the data
> > but not execute the macro.  I'd like to add a MsgBox that prompts the user to
> > by-pass the macro.  However, if I do this when I use the "master" file to
> > open and run the series of "research" files it will just wait for a response
> > to the MsgBox before proceeding and thus will once again be dependent on
> > human intervention.
> >
> > Is there a way to setup the MsgBox so that if it waits for X amount of time
> > without receiving a response from the user a default value for the response
> > will be used which will continue running the macro?
When it is working properly, control should return to your calling sub
automatically (at least in the situations I've used it in). It would act no
differently than if you had one sub calling another sub in the same workbook.
To verify this, I just created two workbooks (Excel 2003); one is called
GTest1 and the other is called GTest2. Both are saved on my desktop.

In GTest1 I placed the following code:

  Sub CrunchIt(Optional MyParameter As String)
     If MyParameter = "Y" Then
         MsgBox "Msgbox 1 is working", vbOKOnly, "Halfway there"
     End If
  End Sub

and in GTest2 I placed this code:

 Sub MainWorkbook()

Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
  Set objWorkbook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and
Settings\ker_01\Desktop\GTest1.xls")
  objExcel.Visible = True
  objExcel.Run "CrunchIt", "Y"
  objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Save
  objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Close (0)
  objExcel.Quit

  MsgBox "Msgbox 2 is working", vbOKOnly, "All done"

 End Sub

When I change the line [objExcel.Run "CrunchIt", "Y"] from a "Y" to a "N"
and back, I can trigger the msgbox #1 on demand. Regardless of that, I always
get the msgbox 2 alert that confirms control returned to the calling sub.

So, since it isn't working in your application, let's troubleshoot;

Potential issue #1: I see you aren't opening a file using a network
filepath, but instead are using a URL (www.etc..). If you need to save back
to a webserver, you probably need to use FTP or some alternative to a direct
save. Under normal conditions when you run your macro today (and have the
msgbox pop up under all circumstances) do you save the file, and if so, via
what process? If it is already saved in your code, you can eliminate the save
line here [objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.Save]. Or, if you don't need to save the
file, eliminate the line. If you /do/ need to save the file, consider
changing that line to

objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= "C:\path\filename.xls" (whatever
path & name is safe)

note that this will just save the file, and I can't recall the syntax off
the top of my head to force it to overwrite a previous file with the same
name without popping up a confirmation box, so you could just turn off alerts:

application.displayalerts= false
objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= "C:\path\filename.xls" (whatever
path is safe)
application.displayalerts = true

Or you could just ensure that a different filename will be used each time it
is saved. This assumes you wouldn't run this more than once per day
(otherwise you would add hours/mins/secs for additional precision to maintain
unique filenames):

TempDTString = year(now()) & format(month(now()),"00") & _
                         format(day(now()),"00")

objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= "C:\path\filename" & " " &
TempDTString & ".xls"

If the save thing isn't it, what version of Excel are you using? Are you
accessing a file on a sharepoint site, or a regular URL?

If that doesn't help get you up and running, post back and we can maybe look
at more of your code, discuss how to set breakpoints to walk through your
code, etc.

Best,
Keith

"JT1977" wrote:

> [...]
> > > a simple macro that will open and close each of the "research" files
> > > sequentially so I can run the series of reports without being at the computer
> > > for hours.
> > >
> > > There are times where I want to open a "research" file to review the data
> > > but not execute the macro.  I'd like to add a MsgBox that prompts the user to
> > > by-pass the macro.  However, if I do this when I use the "master" file to
> > > open and run the series of "research" files it will just wait for a response
> > > to the MsgBox before proceeding and thus will once again be dependent on
> > > human intervention.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to setup the MsgBox so that if it waits for X amount of time
> > > without receiving a response from the user a default value for the response
> > > will be used which will continue running the macro?

"This bill will end at some time"...
Please can you confirm the behaviour : Once "This bill will end at some time" is completed, after the "Date of Transaction", the Bill will automatically be deleted from the Bill Summary. Is there anyway to use this option, but not have the Bill deleted? The reason is that the payments may end after 10 payments but then break for 2 months, then resume for another 10 payment at a higher payment. Also, in another instance, insurance payments maybe set for 12 payments for the 1st year, in this case, I would "End the bill" on the 12 payment, then wait for no...

Subtracting lunch breaks from different shift times
I am trying to calculate the time spent by operators on the shop floor actually working on a product. I have the start times and end times but these times also include lunch breaks. Is there anyway in Excel I can actually subtract the time of the lunch break. For example if the operator works from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm I would like to subtract 30 min from it (12:00-12:30). If the operator works from 11:00 to 12:15 and then 12:30 to 2:00 pm I would like to subtract 15 min from it (12:00-12:15) and add the remaining time (12:30 -2:00). I have 1000 rows and doing this manually would take a lot of...

charting date and time data (every minute type)
hello i have a minute by minute data of certain measurements, which i wouldlike to go on my x-axis with the y-axis being the measurement value. this data goes on for a series of days, with certain breaks of few minutes in them (mostly due to instrument maintenance) when i do chart this data, excel ignores the gap in data and thus i get a erronous display. also the x-axis doesnt show the date or th time, just 0:00:00 help would be appreciated thanks A --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Use a XY Scatter chart and you will get the desired effect. If you still don't, ...

Date and Time Table Modified
I have 4 forms used by managers to enter data. When they enter data, the data is saved in tables. I would like to include a date and time stamp so that I know when they entered each piece of new data. Do I need to have a field in my table to collect the date and time? How do I collect that in my form? Thanks!! Yes, you need to add a field to your table. In the form's BeforeUpdate event, put code to update that field. Assuming that you named the field LastUpdated and that you included the field in the form's RecordSource, the code would look something like: Private Sub Form_Bef...

time stamp upon closed
Hi Everyone, I am trying to have a time stamp mark my date_completed field when an operator changes the status field to closed. Closed is in my tblstatus table along with submitted, pending, postponed, ect. I am guessing that the code would be in the afterupdate event of the status field on my form but not sure? Iwould rather the system date the field rather than an operator. Any suggestions? I would suggest that you use a combo box for the status field. That way, the correct codes will always be entered. Then to update the date_completed field in your table, put a text box on y...

malibox size warning message multiple times
the "Your mailbox has exceeded one or more size limits set by your administrator" message is being sent to users once an hour instead of once a day. where is the setting to change this?? thanks Rich, Depending on the version of Exhange: 5.5 - Properties of the Private Information Store container. Limits tab. 2000/2003 - Properties of the Maibox Store that owns the mailbox in question. Limits tab. Hope that helps...MMS -- Malvin M. Seale, MCSE, MCSA Microsoft Product Support Services (Exchange) malvins@online.microsoft.com * Please do not send email directly to this alias....

Time sheet issues
There are three questions I am preparing a time shhet. To strart with I have to prepare a blank sheet and give one sheet for each emlpoyee Here are the blank walls I am hitting 1. I want to format a cell (E2 in my time sheet) in such a way that if enter "1" it should display "January" and so on. How to do it? 2. The First cell of last row (A 34 in my of the time sheet) should have 28, 29, 30 or 31 depending the conditions of E2 and H2 which has month and year respectively. 3. The cells B4 to B34 should have days cooresponding to dates (number) in A4 to B34 They sho...

Process server and times events
There seems to be mention of process server supporting timed events but I'm unable to find any more detail on this function - can anybody help? Is this for report server, or is that a separate function altogether? ...

Time Stamping
I like to always know when a particular entry was made. So if I have a new contact, I can have some automatic process whereby when I hit "SAVE" it will put a date somewhere . Along those lines -- keeping the information regarding when I sent and when they sent a message last is important. but it isn't included in the DB or .vcf - I have to reload my 2200 contacts from time-to-time and when I do, that data is lost. Is there another way to ensure that I can keep this data? TIA Bruce' Using Office 2008 ...

Delay on update the mailbox size, OWA event slower on update?
Hi...there is a single win2k3 domain and single Ex2k3 environment, a user reported his mailbox is run out of size, we increated the size a lot. But we wait for another hour, it is still complaining not enough space to send message. Check the System Manager again, the size is way under the limit. How to force the system to update the mailbox size right away when it is increased? Would OWA take longer to update the size? how to force OWA to update as well? Thanks, fshguo. I don't think OWA would be any different. Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];327378...

I fixed the date and time and the time zone. Now reply me please
Hi, I have some questions in outlook 2003, can anyone help me? 1-how can i in the appointment type a subject with special format (red, bold..) 2-whent a task is 100% completed, how can be deleted automatically. 3- I need to filter only the available time on a specific day. ex if i have 2 appointments today on a specific time, what i need to see is the available time for other new appointments. 4-If I have a lot of appointments on a specific date that are colored with labels and have a specific show time as (busy,tentative), when i go to print this calendar with the "calendar detai...

Interactive Voice Response
Interactive Voice Response - IVR Info (May 2006), Introduction, Applications, Solutions, how IVR works, IVR Solutions, Examples, IVR Software Informations http://ivr-info.atspace.com ...

Has exchange taken most of the resources?? Is it time to upgrade????
Hi everyone, I have an SBS2000 server running SQL2000 and Exchange 2000. For the last 2 weeks after the exchange implementation my server has becomes short on memory. I came back today from a 2 week vacation and got this surprise with a message on the health monitor a warning from Paging file.The % Memory Available is 11MB from 1GB that's too low, why is this happening and what can I do to solve this?? My C drive space is 4.2gb with 38% of free disk space and my E (share Drives) drive is 32 gb. with 56% of disk space. When I go to the System properties in the performance options this is ...

Calculating percent of times a value is in a column and total #
Ok so I have a column with values in it. Say A4:A12, the values entered will always be 1, 2, 3, or 4. I need a formula that will calculate the % that say a 1 appears in that range and I need a formula that will calculate the total number of 1s in that range. Thanks! =countif(a4:a12,1)/count(a4:a12) Format as percent Regards, Fred "clbritt76" <clbritt76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28AFAD8A-88BC-4151-AE7F-5463AA6E9B68@microsoft.com... > Ok so I have a column with values in it. Say A4:A12, the values entered > will > alwa...

Workflow Call Assembly to add Date or Time
I cannot get a very simple workflow to work. All I want it to do is update a datetime field to add one month! Workflow monitor says it completed, but it has never worked... Has anyone ever been able to make this work? On 26 Mar, 18:54, "DubSport" <jamie.carmich...@cmgl.ca> wrote: > I cannot get a very simple workflow to work. All I want it to do is > update a datetime field to add one month! Workflow monitor says it > completed, but it has never worked... Has anyone ever been able to > make this work? Show your workflow rule OK here it is. its a manual rule, s...

Date and Time ??
I had a question working about date and time it had 11 or 12 posts and now it's gone. Any Idea what happened to it? Sorry I found it. "Duane" wrote: > I had a question working about date and time it had 11 or 12 posts and now > it's gone. > > Any Idea what happened to it? "Duane" <Duane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F0A6769-90FA-4E91-81AF-22F2B7549C32@microsoft.com... >I had a question working about date and time it had 11 or 12 posts and >now > it's gone. > > Any Idea what happen...

Working time and days
I would like to be able to caculate working time when the cell format is 4/1/2005 6:40:26 AM (not seperated into date and time) Cell A1 dd/mm/yyyy h:mm:ss (First Day) Cell A2 dd/mm/yyyy h:mm:ss (Last day) Working hours would be 8:00 to 17:00 Public holidays need to be taken out too The result should be working days hours and minutes or just hours and minutes, so that Saturday, Sunday, public holidays & between the hours of 17:00 to 8:00 to the next working day would not count. I've tried using: =((NETWORKDAYS(A1,C1)-2)*9)/24+TIME(17,00,0)-B1+D1-TIME(8,00,0) But I think this ...

i want my messages say "you replied" all the time?
When I reply to an email, it says "you replied on 7:26am" but that status message leaves. How can I make it stay all the time, and make the little mail icon turn into a mail with a "backwards arrow" showing me I replied or forwarded a message? I can't keep going back to my sent box. Please give me clear concise directions. Outlook Help has been no help. Outlook version? What kind of e-mail account is this -- POP3? IMAP? Exchange? Does the message in the Infobar disappear from both the reading pane and the opened message? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook **...

Case Resolution & Total Time in CRM3.0
I have noticed that the Total Time displayed when Resolving a Case is not accurate in that it only seems to show time spent on email activities. I have one case where an 8hr appointment shows up in the History but this is not being included in Total Time. Any ideas ? Ian ...

Converting time to decimal then rounding
Hi I have a formula =MOD(T11-R11,1)*24 Where T11 is 22:43 and R11 is 22:34 The difference of these time values is 9 minutes or .15. Currently I am getting the result of .1 because it is not rounding up. The result I need is ..2 -- so that Excel will round .01 to .04 down and .05 to .09 up. How should I adjust my formula? Thanks!! Maybe: ROUNDUP((A1-A2)*24,1) Micky "JB Bates" wrote: > Hi > > I have a formula > > =MOD(T11-R11,1)*24 > > Where T11 is 22:43 and R11 is 22:34 > > The difference of these time values i...

Excel opening a "phantom" worksheet at random times
I have a user who will have a phantom Excel spreadsheet, entitled Object, open at random times while she is trying to open another spreadsheet. This Ojbect spreadsheet will stay open, and she can open other spreadsheets, but the only thing that will open is the Menu bar, toolbars, and the status bar. The file itself doesn't open, the space is empty and the user can see the desktop. When this happens, the user has to shut down her machine, not a restart, before she can continue on in Excel. Any ideas? ...

Microsoft Money 2001 Won't Install 2nd Time Around
Will you help me, please? I had installed MSN Money with no problem. But then I uninstall the software because I load it under a wrong user account. After logging back in under the preferred user, I attemp to reinstall MSN Money the 2nd time around but this time it would not install. It will not do anything. I guess it was a misstake in uninstalling it the first time around. Can anyone tell me what is it I need to do to get the computer to install the software? On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 00:45:10 -0700, Otis <Otis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Will you help me, please? ...

Average lead time calculation #2
Scenario - we have an item on a PO with an average 30 day lead time and three receipts against PO. The first receipt is 15 days early, the second receipt is on time, and the third receipt is 15 days late (all based on promise date and actual receipt date). In this scenario, does GP average all the receipts for a an average lead time of 30 days or does it weight late receipts heavier than early ones? Thanks, Frank Hamelly NOVA Solutions LLC ...

Another Time Conversion question
The new report we get our time information is in the following format: 10:45:32 (hh:mm:ss). I am at a lost in how to write a formula that will convert that figure to seconds. Any help will be very much appreciated. It is a fraction of 1 day, so multiply by 24 to get hours, by another 60 for minutes, and another 60 for seconds =A1*24*60*60 -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Sean Skallerud" <SeanSkallerud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7DED10F3-0886-4CAE-863F-2F1AEEEC7210@microsoft.com... > The new report we g...

Cashier Time Clock Report error ( -2147467259 )Conversion failed
Cashier Time Clock Report error ( -2147467259 )Conversion failed when converting datetime from character string. I am using RMS 2.0. I am trying to run the Cashier Time clock report for last two week pay periods 2/14/2008 to 2/17/2008. I read post from that you change couple of numbers in Active reports and you could fix a problem, but I was unable to find that post. ...