Table format - connection string problem

Hi

When I run the code below I get "External table is not in the expected
format" error at line rsData.Open sSQL, sConnect, adOpenForwardOnly,
adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

Option Explicit

Public Sub SelectFromAccess()

Dim rsData As ADODB.Recordset
Dim sPath As String
Dim sConnect As String
Dim sSQL As String

'Clear the destination worksheet
Sheets(1).UsedRange.Clear

'Get the database path (same as this workbook)
sPath = ThisWorkbook.Path

If Right$(sPath, 1) <> "\" Then sPath = sPath & "\"

'Create the connection string
sConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & sPath &
"Gemini.mdb;Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;"

'Build the SQL query
sSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT TurnoverPrecedingYears.[Nosnik kosztow - numer] FROM
TurnoverPrecedingYears;"

'Retrieve the data using ADO

Set rsData = New ADODB.Recordset
rsData.Open sSQL, sConnect, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

If Not rsData.EOF Then
    Sheets(1).Range("a1").CopyFromRecordset rsData
Else
    MsgBox "No data located.", vbCritical, "Error!"
End If

rsData.Close
Set rsData = Nothing
End Sub

But if I delete Extended Properties=Excel 8.0 all is ok. Why is that? I run
the code above in excel 2007 but I'll also need to use it in excel 2003.

Kind regards
IgorM

0
IgorM

You're not connecting to a Workbook. You're connecting to an Access Database
therefore no need for ";Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;" When using ADO or
connecting to any database I recommend using Connection.udl to create the
connection string. Open Notepad, File, SaveAs, "Connection.udl".

use Connection.udl to build your connection string, Then right click
connection.udl,
open with notepad and copy your connection string.

"IgorM" wrote:

> Hi
>
> When I run the code below I get "External table is not in the expected
> format" error at line rsData.Open sSQL, sConnect, adOpenForwardOnly,
> adLockReadOnly, adCmdText
>
> Option Explicit
>
> Public Sub SelectFromAccess()
>
> Dim rsData As ADODB.Recordset
> Dim sPath As String
> Dim sConnect As String
> Dim sSQL As String
>
> 'Clear the destination worksheet
> Sheets(1).UsedRange.Clear
>
> 'Get the database path (same as this workbook)
> sPath = ThisWorkbook.Path
>
> If Right$(sPath, 1) <> "\" Then sPath = sPath & "\"
>
> 'Create the connection string
> sConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & sPath &
> "Gemini.mdb;Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;"
>
> 'Build the SQL query
> sSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT TurnoverPrecedingYears.[Nosnik kosztow - numer] FROM
> TurnoverPrecedingYears;"
>
> 'Retrieve the data using ADO
>
> Set rsData = New ADODB.Recordset
> rsData.Open sSQL, sConnect, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText
>
> If Not rsData.EOF Then
>     Sheets(1).Range("a1").CopyFromRecordset rsData
> Else
>     MsgBox "No data located.", vbCritical, "Error!"
> End If
>
> rsData.Close
> Set rsData = Nothing
> End Sub
>

> But if I delete Extended Properties=Excel 8.0 all is ok. Why is that? I run
> the code above in excel 2007 but I'll also need to use it in excel 2003.
>
> Kind regards
> IgorM

connecting livemail
using internet explorer 8. Clicking desktop icon gives me my hotmail folders but it won't connect so can't send or receive emails. But if I go to hotmail website,I can access fully functioning hotmail -but with different (not so convenient) format. What can I do to restore connection to usual email? Problem arose 29 july -before that access and connection were ok. Please keep it simple! -- In earnest ...

how do I change the table from which a form obtains data
I have a form that I have set up, but I would like to re-create it several times and change the table that each copy gets data from. EG Table 1 feeds Form A. I want to copy this form to create form B but it currently gets data from table 1, so I need to change it so that it now gets data from table 2. That's probably clear as mud but hopefully someone can help me! thanks Jo, If all the tables have exactly the same fields, you just need to change the Form's RecordSource. Copy the form to another name, and change the RecordSource table, or more usually, a query against the...

An Outlook 2003 Problem

Dropped connection to POP3 servers
Just installed Office 2003 under XP Home. Outlook is dropping connection to POP3 servers, I check 2 different servers with a S/R. Both fail at the same time, never separately. Sometimes I can exit Outlook gracefully but a reboot is required to get Outlook to work again. Sometimes locks entire system and have to powerdown manually. Pattern not fully determined but it appears to happen when there is other activity to the internet that is going to specific servers using an ID and password. I use Medved Quotetracker with E*Trade quotes (requires ID). If I bring up Quotetracker, Ou...

help with dynamic tables

Cell Format #4

Publishing Layout and tables
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I am trying to copy and paste text from one cell of a table to another cell in the same table. The document is in Publishing Layout. The paste command deletes the text in the destination cell and then places a big empty text box on top of the table. I do dozens of these documents that are primarily tables and graphics. Previously I used Publisher on my old PC. Should I go back, or can this be done in Word for the mac? Hello, On 2010.01.29 8:44 AM, in article 59bb1ce2.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Toni_T@officefor...

Formatting #13
Hi How can i have codes in this form 00.00.0000.00, & i wanted to sum to the values below like next code, 00.00.0000(+1).00 I'm tired to format but always sum in the last 2 digits 00.00.0000.00(+1), what can i do Someone can help me Thanks How did you put 00.00.0000.00 in the cell? Did you type 0 and then give it a custom format? If yes, try changing your custom format to: 00\.00\.\0000.00 Then add 1, but make sure that the resulting cell also has this custom format. This is really a funny formatted number with 2 decimal places now. Carla wrote: > > Hi, > How can i ...

CRM 4.0 Custom Report Filter Problem

Querying multiple records in two tables

conditional formatting in excel #3

Duplicate personal folders problem
Hello all, I have a problem with Outlook 2003 and I hope someone can help me resolve it I imported a PST file from Outlook XP that was on a different machine, and now I have two versions of Personal Folders in my All Mail Folders list. They both have Deleted Items, Drafts, Inbox, Junk E-mail, Outbox, Sent Items and Search Folders in. One of them has an icon of a piece of paper with a clock to the top left and a house to the top right. The other one has an icon like a stack of files (like from a filing cabinet) They are clearly referencing the same thing, as the Deleted Items both have al...

Interesting Solver problem (Solver encounters an error)
Here's an interesting problem, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts o this. Recognize that my real problem is very complex (severa intermediate calculation including some iterative steps), but th problem I'm having seems similar (conceptually anyway) to this simpl problem. Given a data set: x,y 10,3.9 8,3.2 7,2.8 6,2.2 5,1.4 4.5,0.8 4,0.01 3.8,-0.4 3.6,-1 3.5,-1.4 3.4,-1.8 3.3,-2.4 3.2,-3.2 3.1,-4.6 3.05,-6 One could look at the data and say, "that looks like the curve y=ln(x) but with a different asymptote other than the y-axis and possibly scaling factor." So we choos...

Excel Problem #3
I have win2000 with Office 2000 in the network! When i try to rename one excel file my computer make restart. This hapening not to all files,and all files there are in the same folder in the network! What hapen,and what i can do so as to work out the problem? I have all the required permissions on that network folder. No one else has any of the files open. They are not shared workbooks. ...

Excel pivot table #2