Showing argument descriptions as an XLL worksheet function is type

Hi,

Apologies if this is wrong newsgroup, I wasn't sure if this or
microsoft.public.excel.sdk is better.

We're developing a set of XLL worksheet functions that have 5-8 difficult to
remember arguments.

While the argument descriptions passed to the registration function display
properly in the function wizard, they do not appear in the common case of
typing the function in the formula bar.

In addition, I have these related (but lesser) concerns:
     - My worksheet function description does not appear when my function
name is being typed in the Formula Bar.
     - My add-in description text is not displayed in the Add-in Wizard.

Unfortunately, the sample "GENERIC" provided in the SDK seems to have the
same issues.

I do not believe these are general limitations of the XLL SDK, as the
Analysis Toolpak XLL and its functions do not have these issues.  For
example, add the Toolpak Add-In, observe the description and type "MROUND" in
the formula bar.

Can someone take a look at how to get argument descriptions to work in the
formula bar?  I haven't been able to locate this knowledge in Steve Dalton's
book or on the existing internet resources.

Thanks very much,
John McDowell

Look here:

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/RegisterUDF00.asp

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"John McDowell" <JohnMcDowell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Apologies if this is wrong newsgroup, I wasn't sure if this or
> microsoft.public.excel.sdk is better.
>
> We're developing a set of XLL worksheet functions that have 5-8 difficult
> remember arguments.
>
> While the argument descriptions passed to the registration function
> display
> properly in the function wizard, they do not appear in the common case of
> typing the function in the formula bar.
>
> In addition, I have these related (but lesser) concerns:
>     - My worksheet function description does not appear when my function
> name is being typed in the Formula Bar.
>     - My add-in description text is not displayed in the Add-in Wizard.
>
> Unfortunately, the sample "GENERIC" provided in the SDK seems to have the
> same issues.
>
> I do not believe these are general limitations of the XLL SDK, as the
> Analysis Toolpak XLL and its functions do not have these issues.  For
> example, add the Toolpak Add-In, observe the description and type "MROUND"
> in
> the formula bar.
>
> Can someone take a look at how to get argument descriptions to work in the
> formula bar?  I haven't been able to locate this knowledge in Steve
> Dalton's
> book or on the existing internet resources.
>
> Thanks very much,
> John McDowell

0
Niek

favicon.ico not displayed, is there a way to make it show up?
If you have a half dozen IE windows in addition the half dozen CRM windows open, it would be nice to have the favicon.ico in the CRM wwwroot show up. Is this possible? Or is this just a pipe dream? ...

Can I enter a 24 hour time without typing colon?
I am an inexperienced Excel user. I have a new job assignment where I have to enter a lot of data in spreadsheets. A lot of the data is time in 24 hour format such as 16:00 for 4pm. I am using the number pad and have to continually shift to the keyboard to enter the colon. The cells are formated for the 24 hour time. Is there a way I can just enter the four digits and have the colon inserted automatically without having to type the colon in? This would be similar to formating for currency or accouting where the decimal point and the commas are inserted automatically. See http...

How to show a tool tip on an activex control embedded in a Cdialog
Hi, I have an activex control(IWebBrowser2) control embedded in a CDialog. I need to show a tool tip on the control depending on some conditions. I have tried the following approaches- 1)Tried using CTooltipCtrl object in the CDialog derived class in which the control is embedded. The whole show - override PreTranslateMessage() { m_tooltip.relayEvent(pMsg); } This does not work. 2) Used the above approach in the class implementing the IWebBrowser2 contol - which is a CWnd derived class. This also does not work. 3)I created my own CWnd derived tooltip class and show it when some conditio...

Can I view multiple tabbed worksheet in the same workbook in Excel
Using Excel 2003, I have several tabs (worksheets) within one wookbook. I would like to simultaneously look at several of them. Is there someway I can view multiple tabbed worksheets without creating multiple workbooks and consequently several instances of the program? Window/New Window, then window/arrange and click "windows of active workbook". Then on one of the windows, click on a separate sheet tab. You can repeat this & get 3, 4... views of the same workbook. To close the multiple windows, click the x in the upper right until the file no longer ends in ":1"...

Writing formula for excel worksheet
Item Rate1 Rate2 Rate3 A 3 4 6 B 8 5 23 C 56 5 78 Above is my excel sheet. I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3) for Item B - Rate2(5) For Item C - Rate2 (5) There may be a neater way but this works. Somewhere in you sheet in a cell type =min(A1:a4), I used L1 Change this to watever range you are trying to evaluate. Then select this range and click format - conditional format - cell value - is equal to =($L$1) and apply your bold font. The lowest value in the range will then become bold. Mike "Gaur...

Delete worksheet from shared workbook
How do I delete a worksheet from a shared workbook? Take the share off, delete it and then put the share back on. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "LWSilva" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4857E125-C5DE-4233-803B-0219416C50DB@microsoft.com....

Free/Busy time not showing on any computer
Hello, Just finished putting SBS 2003 and Exchange 2003 together. For some reason, whenever one user tries to schedule an appointment with another, the Free/Busy time doesn't show up. I already check the settings on Outlook 2003 itself under tools --> options --> calendar options --> Free/Busy options, it says that the calendar (next two months) will be published. Please advise. Thanks. 1. Send a test calendar entry/appointment to all users (somewhere in decemer 2006), make everyone accept and delete it; 2. Install SBS 2003 SP1 and Exchange 2003 SP2; 3. You can increase the ...

How do you set up a submit button to attach worksheet in email?
I am doing a form and I want to have a submit or send link on the bottom of the page. I know how to make hyperlinks but I dont know how to get it where when the user hits the send button it automatically saves that info and sends that form to the intended email address. Basically so you dont have to attach it yourself through email. Is there a way to do this? Have a look here for code to send mail http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm#Tips -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on a...

how to use the type member in System.Web.Services.Description
hi all, I want to parse the wsdl file . It is ease to parse the parts of wsdl except that the part of types. Because I don't know how to use the System.Web.Services.Description member types . I have searched the MSDN to find answer , but , it tell me very less. So I come here for help. For example, there is a types is defined as follows: - <types> - <s:schema elementFormDefault="qualified" targetNamespace="http://www.webservicex.net"> - <s:element name="GetGeoIP"> - <s:complexType> - <s:sequence> <s:element minOccurs="0...

Why does excel change my hyperlinks when I copy a worksheet?
When I copy a worksheet to a new book excel removes part of the hyperlink directory tree from each hyperlink rendering them useless (the change is identicle for all the links). Am I doing something wrong? Have you tried clicking on Edit then clicking on Paste Special or Paste as Hyperlink? "TWIN HYPE" wrote: > When I copy a worksheet to a new book excel removes part of the hyperlink > directory tree from each hyperlink rendering them useless (the change is > identicle for all the links). Am I doing something wrong? ...

How to add function to ie to parse html of current web page??
He there, i am looking for a way to add a function to ie7 or ie8 which parses the html code of the current web page and then copies parts of it to the clipboard so the data can be used via copy & paste. Any hints on how to add this kind of functionality would be highly appreciated. thx. Leon wrote: > He there, > > i am looking for a way to add a function to ie7 or ie8 which parses the > html code of the current web page and then copies parts of it to the > clipboard so the data can be used via copy & paste. > > Any hints on how to add ...

Post Create Callout to show web page
Hi. I want to know if it's possible in a post create callout source code, open a new web page where the user can choose aditional information for the entity. What I want to do is show to the user a custom web page, once a appointment is created. Thanks for your help. -- MCP SBS 2003 Hi Joel Showing a custom page would be client side behavior. It can be done using client side JavaScript. A call out is not the place to go for such functionality. Try this: 1. Create a bit field, 'firstLoad' (or something that signifies that the record is being viewed for the first time). S...

If Function Limitation
How can one have more than 7 If Functions nested, I have the need to create more than 7 If Functions, how can I go around this problem, I consulted the Help Section and it states: "Up to seven IF functions can be nested as value_if_true and value_if_false arguments" Your help is most appreciated! In practically every instance I run across where you need more than 7 IF statements, the problem can be solved by constructing a Lookup table of values to be matched and their corresponding return value. Example: Col_A Col_B Apple 1 Berry 100 Cat 11 Date 21 Eel 35 Fruit 106 Grate ...

2 way Vlookup
Hi, I have base data in column A, B, C and D extending from row 2 to row 500. The data in coln A and B together constitute an unique ID. I also have data in Column G and H and these 2 together correspond to the I formed from Column A and B. I want a formula which can return the value from Column D for a particulr ID combination in Column G plus H. Ideally I would concatenate the data in A and B ( = A2&B2) and use this ID for lookup with the concatenated data from G and H (=g2&h2). BUT, in this case due to the naure of the data layout (and some other factors) I cannot afford to creat...

Referencing Variable Name Worksheets
I'm updating a formatted worksheet every day. I have a macro that processes, lets the user augment, and then saves that days data into a new worksheet with that days date. I need to reference that worksheet the next business day to error check. I cannot : PREVIOUS DATE IS IN CELL A1 s = range("a1").value worksheets(s).select Thank you for any help/suggestions Chris Cameron You might try sheets(1) sheet1 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "camerons" <camerons@epud.net> wrote in message news:117nvk3b9e8mg06@c...

Index/Match Function
Hello All, Using Excel XP. I have two worksheets, one named "TIMES" and the other "HI&LO". On sheet "TIMES" I have a month & year in column A and a time in column B, e.g: A B ---------------------------------- 1 March 04 15:45 2 April 04 13:22 3 May 04 18:01 4 June 04 15:38 On Sheet "HI&LO" I have in column A the two Highest Times from sheet "TIMES", e.g: A B ----------------------------------------...

How do I show yyyy only on x axis of a chart?
I did not use a formula for the date (4-digit year only) in column A, I manually entered the years. When I attempt to create a chart, the years either show up as 1, 2, 3, etc or as m/d/yyyy with the year showing in all instances as 1900. Can you help me enter the yyyy only on the x axis of the chart? Unfortunately there is no option for yyyy in "format cells>date". Hi, The answer depends on the version of Excel you are using. 2003: Select the chart and choose Chart, Source Data, Series tab, and delete the Year series from the Series box. Then select the Category (X) ...

find a description in a list and add it in an other one
Hello, I would like to create a small vb code, to find a description in a list and add it in an other one... Let me explain my case : I have an excel spreadsheet with two sheets... The first one (sheet "result") contents a list like this one : D10993300 YG37 DistrDemand (Plnd.) D10385135 YG38 Total Demand D10387412 YT23 Dependent Demand D10385167 TE45 Total Demand This list can have a very variable size, One line or several thousands of line The second one, sheet "Dcode list" contents the description of ALL the code like "D10993300" D10383164 p...

Converting MSXML2 to System.Xml: transformNodeToObject functionality?
Hello. I'm attempting to convert an XML wrapper class from VB6 (using MSXML2) to .NET (using System.Xml). For my TransformDocument method, the MSXML2 code uses the transformNodeToObject method for XSL transformation, using DOMDocument30 objects for the target and both parameters. In System.Xml, it appears that I must use the Xsl.XslCompiledTransform.Transform method. This is much more complex for internal object references, and it appears that in using the new method to get back an XmlDocument object, I must through an intermediate text file or stream, which seems quite inefficient to ...

Gridlines not showing on screen
I have an employee that is having problems showing gridlines. Everytime she creates a new worksheet it does not show the gridlines even though the show gridlines box is checked. If we change the gridline color from automatic it will show them only on that worksheet but will not show it on a new one. Any suggestions? > I have an employee that is having problems showing gridlines. Everytime she creates a new worksheet it does not show the gridlines even though the show gridlines box is checked. If we change the gridline color from automatic it will show them only on that worksheet but w...

How can I use engineering functions in Excel 2003
How can I use engineering functions in Excel 2003 in my package (excel 2003) they are absent. You mean the functions in the Analysis Toolpak? If yes, tools|addins|check analysis toolpak. (You may have to have the installation CD available if you didn't install this.) kolgen wrote: > > How can I use engineering functions in Excel 2003 in my package (excel 2003) > they are absent. -- Dave Peterson ...

Why does Excel 2003 now show Open (Native) option?
Did not used to be there when first installed. ...

Outlook doesn't show previous e-mail addresses used
Do you know how Outlook will show you an e-mail by just typing a few letters because you have sent to that e-mail address before? We have a user where all of a sudden it is not doing that anymore. Is there an easy way to get it working again without having to do all the addresses manually again? Are you saying a list comes up but is blank or that the option is not there at all. Check to see if that function was turned off under Tools - Options - Email Options - Advanced Options. Make sure the auto-name is checked. If they were deleted from the registry I am not sure if they can be r...

Automating HQ Worksheets
As far as I can tell, HQ makes no provision for scheduling worksheets other than the 401. I searched the Google archive for this group and found part of a thread containing this little tidbit: > You must insert data into [Worksheet], [WorksheetStore], > [WorksheetHistory] and WorksheetItem for 250/260, and > Worksheet_ItemPrice, ItemCost... ItemTax for sales information.. I think I'd like to schedule a daily 250 worksheet and possibly a 350 as well. Just to be perfectly clear, I'm closer to being an SQL newbie than an SQL expert. I understand the query part. INSERT INT...