Select list box entries in multiple rows?

I have an inventory spreadsheet that consists of several columns of
information used to assess the condition of equipment. Each row represents an
identified defect in a piece of equipment. In the column 'DefectType' I want
to be able to pick from a list of standard defect types (e.g. broken, torn,
bent, etc) for each row item. I could create a ListBox in the cell under
DefectType column for each row, but that looks pretty ugly and I'd have to do
that everytime I created a new row entry for each new defect found. It would
be easier to type it, but then I might lose my consistent naming for each
defect.

Any ideas how to tab to a cell in a specific column and be able to pick from
a list of items so that one of the items will become the value for that cell?

Thanks

John

Data Validation ?

Tim

On Apr 6, 4:03=A0pm, jj <j...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have an inventory spreadsheet that consists of several columns of
> information used to assess the condition of equipment. Each row represent=
s an
> identified defect in a piece of equipment. In the column 'DefectType' I w=
ant
> to be able to pick from a list of standard defect types (e.g. broken, tor=
n,
> bent, etc) for each row item. I could create a ListBox in the cell under
> DefectType column for each row, but that looks pretty ugly and I'd have t=
o do
> that everytime I created a new row entry for each new defect found. It wo=
uld
> be easier to type it, but then I might lose my consistent naming for each
> defect.
>
> Any ideas how to tab to a cell in a specific column and be able to pick f=
rom
> a list of items so that one of the items will become the value for that c=
ell?

> Thanks
>
> John

0
Tim
4/6/2010 11:25:47 PM
THANKS, TIM!! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED.

"Tim Williams" wrote:

> Data Validation ?
>
> http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html
>
> Tim
>

> On Apr 6, 4:03 pm, jj <j...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have an inventory spreadsheet that consists of several columns of
> > information used to assess the condition of equipment. Each row represents an
> > identified defect in a piece of equipment. In the column 'DefectType' I want
> > to be able to pick from a list of standard defect types (e.g. broken, torn,
> > bent, etc) for each row item. I could create a ListBox in the cell under
> > DefectType column for each row, but that looks pretty ugly and I'd have to do
> > that everytime I created a new row entry for each new defect found. It would
> > be easier to type it, but then I might lose my consistent naming for each
> > defect.
> >
> > Any ideas how to tab to a cell in a specific column and be able to pick from
> > a list of items so that one of the items will become the value for that cell?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > John
>
> .

How to select series in chart?

multiple flyers per page?

Removing multiple users from Outlook

Summing Alternate Rows
We have spreadsheets with many rows and need to sum alternate rows. Is there a way to do this without entering a formula using the number of each row? -- KarenQ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KarenQ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19608 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395115 Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18),2)=1),$A$1:$A$18) That formula sums odd-row values in the range A1:A18. To sum even-row values the formula is: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18...

Multiple stacked bar charts

Multiple Simultaneous Outlook Sessions

Single click selects multiple cells

Receiving Transaction Entry #2

printing multiple copies of Sigel GmbH

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

OLK 2k7

Adding a combo box to a worksheet

Getting rid of selection

Sizing drop down validation box
I have a form with lots of drop down validation boxes, many of them are Yes,No,N/A or Pass,Fail,N/A so one a narrow box is required but all the drop downs are about three inches wide. Once I accidentally go them to the right size and saved the file, closed it, then re-opened and the drop downs were really wide again. Does anyone know have to set the width, I always thought they were the same width as the cell they pop from but not the case. Wayman Those extra wide dropdown lists appear occasionally, usually if cells on the worksheet have been merged (not necessarily the cell with t...