Screenupdating = FALSE not working

I have an Excel model with several VBA macros that I have been maintaining in
Excel 2003 for years with no issues. I recently updated to Office 2007, made
some adjustments to the model, and it works fine on my machine (and fine on
some of my coworkers' machines). However, the exact same file when run on
other coworkers' machines is having issues where the
"Application.screenupdating" is being set to true whenever the code switches
worksheets or workbooks. For example:

Sub ProcessName()
Application.Screenupdating = FALSE
Sheets("Sheet 1").Range("Range 1").clearcontents
Sheets("Sheet 2").Range("Range 2").clearcontents
'Up to this point, Screenupdating=FALSE on ALL machines
Sheets("Sheet 3").Select
'At this point, Screenupdating=FALSE on some machines and TRUE on others
Range("Range 3").Select
Selection.Validation.Delete
Application.Screenupdating = TRUE
End Sub

Again, when running on some machines - no problem (screenupdating remains
set to false at all times), but when run on another machines, it switches to
true. We all are running Office 2007. I have seen many posts on various
forums regarding similar issues, but nothing regarding screenupdating working
on one machine but not another.

Is there an Excel Options setting that could be different between our
machines that could be causing this? Thanks for any help.

Try it this way:

Sub ProcessName()
Application.Screenupdating = FALSE
Sheets("Sheet 1").Range("Range 1").clearcontents
Sheets("Sheet 2").Range("Range 2").clearcontents
'Up to this point, Screenupdating=FALSE on ALL machines
Sheets("Sheet 3").Range("Range 3").Validation.Delete

"VBAActuary" <VBAActuary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an Excel model with several VBA macros that I have been maintaining
>in
> Excel 2003 for years with no issues. I recently updated to Office 2007,
> made
> some adjustments to the model, and it works fine on my machine (and fine
> on
> some of my coworkers' machines). However, the exact same file when run on
> other coworkers' machines is having issues where the
> "Application.screenupdating" is being set to true whenever the code
> switches
> worksheets or workbooks. For example:
>
> Sub ProcessName()
> Application.Screenupdating = FALSE
> Sheets("Sheet 1").Range("Range 1").clearcontents
> Sheets("Sheet 2").Range("Range 2").clearcontents
> 'Up to this point, Screenupdating=FALSE on ALL machines
> Sheets("Sheet 3").Select
> 'At this point, Screenupdating=FALSE on some machines and TRUE on others
> Range("Range 3").Select
> Selection.Validation.Delete
> Application.Screenupdating = TRUE
> End Sub
>
> Again, when running on some machines - no problem (screenupdating remains
> set to false at all times), but when run on another machines, it switches
> true. We all are running Office 2007. I have seen many posts on various
> forums regarding similar issues, but nothing regarding screenupdating
> working
> on one machine but not another.
>
> Is there an Excel Options setting that could be different between our
> machines that could be causing this? Thanks for any help.

0
JLGWhiz
12/4/2009 6:32:38 PM
Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, the code I provided as an example
is an extremely simplified excerpt from the larger model (I should have
clarified). The model contains thousands of lines of code over several
modules and userforms, and requires the opening and closing of other Excel
workbooks. So I need to understand what is causing the issue, as
unfortunately I don't think any easy work-around will suffice here.

"JLGWhiz" wrote:

> Try it this way:
>
> Sub ProcessName()
> Application.Screenupdating = FALSE
> Sheets("Sheet 1").Range("Range 1").clearcontents
> Sheets("Sheet 2").Range("Range 2").clearcontents
> 'Up to this point, Screenupdating=FALSE on ALL machines
> Sheets("Sheet 3").Range("Range 3").Validation.Delete
> Application.Screenupdating = TRUE
> End Sub
>

> "VBAActuary" <VBAActuary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an Excel model with several VBA macros that I have been maintaining
> >in
> > Excel 2003 for years with no issues. I recently updated to Office 2007,
> > made
> > some adjustments to the model, and it works fine on my machine (and fine
> > on
> > some of my coworkers' machines). However, the exact same file when run on
> > other coworkers' machines is having issues where the
> > "Application.screenupdating" is being set to true whenever the code
> > switches
> > worksheets or workbooks. For example:
> >
> > Sub ProcessName()
> > Application.Screenupdating = FALSE
> > Sheets("Sheet 1").Range("Range 1").clearcontents
> > Sheets("Sheet 2").Range("Range 2").clearcontents
> > 'Up to this point, Screenupdating=FALSE on ALL machines
> > Sheets("Sheet 3").Select
> > 'At this point, Screenupdating=FALSE on some machines and TRUE on others
> > Range("Range 3").Select
> > Selection.Validation.Delete
> > Application.Screenupdating = TRUE
> > End Sub
> >
> > Again, when running on some machines - no problem (screenupdating remains
> > set to false at all times), but when run on another machines, it switches
> > true. We all are running Office 2007. I have seen many posts on various
> > forums regarding similar issues, but nothing regarding screenupdating
> > working
> > on one machine but not another.
> >
> > Is there an Excel Options setting that could be different between our
> > machines that could be causing this? Thanks for any help.
>

> .

The best I can do is recommend that you purge your code of the Select method
and use the direct address method as illustrated in the snippet I suggested.
That eliminates the need for the ScreenUpdating in 90 percent of the cases.
Every use of Select tries to trigger a screen update.  Some versions of
Excel might react differently to the ScreenUpdating code feature.

> Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, the code I provided as an
> example
> is an extremely simplified excerpt from the larger model (I should have
> clarified). The model contains thousands of lines of code over several
> modules and userforms, and requires the opening and closing of other Excel
> workbooks. So I need to understand what is causing the issue, as
> unfortunately I don't think any easy work-around will suffice here.
>
> "JLGWhiz" wrote:
>
>> Try it this way:
>>
>> Sub ProcessName()
>> Application.Screenupdating = FALSE
>> Sheets("Sheet 1").Range("Range 1").clearcontents
>> Sheets("Sheet 2").Range("Range 2").clearcontents
>> 'Up to this point, Screenupdating=FALSE on ALL machines
>> Sheets("Sheet 3").Range("Range 3").Validation.Delete
>> Application.Screenupdating = TRUE
>> End Sub
>>

>> "VBAActuary" <VBAActuary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an Excel model with several VBA macros that I have been
>> >maintaining
>> >in
>> > Excel 2003 for years with no issues. I recently updated to Office 2007,
>> > made
>> > some adjustments to the model, and it works fine on my machine (and
>> > fine
>> > on
>> > some of my coworkers' machines). However, the exact same file when run
>> > on
>> > other coworkers' machines is having issues where the
>> > "Application.screenupdating" is being set to true whenever the code
>> > switches
>> > worksheets or workbooks. For example:
>> >
>> > Sub ProcessName()
>> > Application.Screenupdating = FALSE
>> > Sheets("Sheet 1").Range("Range 1").clearcontents
>> > Sheets("Sheet 2").Range("Range 2").clearcontents
>> > 'Up to this point, Screenupdating=FALSE on ALL machines
>> > Sheets("Sheet 3").Select
>> > 'At this point, Screenupdating=FALSE on some machines and TRUE on
>> > others
>> > Range("Range 3").Select
>> > Selection.Validation.Delete
>> > Application.Screenupdating = TRUE
>> > End Sub
>> >
>> > Again, when running on some machines - no problem (screenupdating
>> > remains
>> > set to false at all times), but when run on another machines, it
>> > switches
>> > true. We all are running Office 2007. I have seen many posts on various
>> > forums regarding similar issues, but nothing regarding screenupdating
>> > working
>> > on one machine but not another.
>> >
>> > Is there an Excel Options setting that could be different between our
>> > machines that could be causing this? Thanks for any help.
>>

>> .

0
JLGWhiz

filter not working
Dim linker Dim strSQL As String linker = StobMainFrame.Value Select Case linker strSQL = "TStobDaily.Category In('61','73') AND TStobDaily.DateIn >#5/31/2007# AND PendDte Is Null AND Tstobdaily.LogInID=fOSUserName()" End select End Sub The "DateIn" is still bring back dates less than 5/31/2007. Any suggestions? Take a look at what is actually stored in your DateIn field in the table. Is it ONLY date values, or date/time values? -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.InformationFutures.net Microsoft Office/Access MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ Microsof...

Can someone help; pipe delimited text import not working
Im trying to import a pipe delimited text file into access 2007 and I get the following message when I try to finish the import "Method Execute TempImexSpec' of object '_Wizhook'failed. It doen't seem to be recognizing the "|" pipe sysmbol I entered? Help nothing seems to be working for me. Thanks Char Char - Can you import the text manually (which is how you usually set up import specs anyway)? It could be a data issue or an import spec issue... Can you copy the import text file and remove all but maybe the first few records and see if o...

Customize Outlook Today does not work.
When I click on the Customize Outlook Today button under Outlook Today it doesn't do anything. <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:00c501c3ad3e$5b4bfcb0$a501280a@phx.gbl: > When I click on the Customize Outlook Today button under > Outlook Today it doesn't do anything. OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=820575 http://www.google.com/search?q=cannot+customize+outlook+today http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/200311/customize_outlook_today_work_aro...

outlook 2000/auto name fill in won't work
When making new email messages and using contacts already entered the auto name fill in option doesn't work. Is there a place to turn on this feature? Everyone else I've asked (and the books I've read) say this is an automatic feature! But not on my outlook 2000. Any help is appreciated. I'm tired of typing Outlook 2000 doesn't have an auto-complete feature. It has an auto-resolve feature. If you enter an abbreviated form of an existing Contact, Outlook 2000 will attempt to resolve it to that contact. If it underlines it green, it means it found a match. If it und...

page setup feature is not working
We have a user at our firm that has Excel 2002. When he goes into page setup and changes the view to landscape, nothing within the document actually changes. When you go to print preview, the document is still in portrait. we have tried repairing the installation of office and that didn't seem to work. We will try to remove it and then install it again. I wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before. Thank you! I often find that these types of issues are directly related to th attached printer. Before uninstalling, try selecting a differen printer (if possible) or verify t...

Right mouse click not working
I seem to have turned off my ability to use my right mouse click in Excel. My right mouse button works fine in all other apps (Word, Windows, etc). Any suggestions - I am lost without it. Thanks, Rita See your other thread -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Rita" <heidkampr@alyeska-pipeline.com> wrote in message news:0e8701c49c1d$cd1c5ff0$a301280a@phx.gbl... >I seem to have turned off my ability to use my right > mouse click in Excel. My right mouse button works fine > in all other apps (Word, Windows, etc). > > Any suggestions - I am l...

Exchange SRS static port not working....
I have added in the following registry key onto my Exchange 2003 SRS server: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeSRS\Parameters Value name: TCP/IP Value type: REG_DWORD Value data: Decimal 5002 The server is running Windows Server 2003 Standard, SP1, Exchange 2003 SP2 mailbox server, also has RPC over HTTP configured to static ports which works fine. However, after restarting the SRS service, its still not listening on port 5002, heres an extract below from portqry.exe that shows it listening on a random port 42203. Any ideas anyone please??? I havent rebooted ...

Working with Footnotes
I am using Word 2003 to create an on line magazine. I do not want the footer to start on the first page - the cover - how to I stop this from happening? I tried using "from this section forward" and it didn't work? Thanks for your help! -- Gillian maybe you can find a solution here: http://tinyurl.com/different-first-page -- db·´¯`·...¸><)))º> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional - Systems Analyst - Database Developer - Accountancy - Veteran of the Armed Forces - Microsoft Partner - @hotmail.com ~~~~~~~~...

Concatenation not working in Excel 2003
I have two fields that I am trying to concatenate. When I use th concatenate function: =CONCATENATE(F2,E2), it does not show the tw concatenated fields it only shows the function. The same thing happen when I do =F2& " " &E2. I have tried this with several different worksheets and none of the are working. Any suggestions before I pull my hair out. Thanks Gretchen : -- gschose ----------------------------------------------------------------------- gschoser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1545 View this thread: http://www...

No link addresses work when I select them in Outlook.Help please
I would appreciate any help to make any links work that are quoted in downloads. Ian Wallace <Ian Wallace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would appreciate any help to make any links work that are quoted in > downloads. If Internet Explorer is your web browser, try this: Open IE and click Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Reset Web Settings. -- Brian Tillman ...

Work order to Purchase Order
We've just implemented RMS 1.2 at our store. I noticed that RMS can automatically place appropriate purchase orders for items sold within a specified time period. Is there a way for items on a work-order that are out of stock or soon to be below acceptable quantities to be added to the counts in the purchase orders without manual entry? Hi Greg, I'm editor of the Microsoft Business Solutions Community site (www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/community) and we're having a Microsoft developer from the RMS team answer questions like yours on ITEMS this week. We'll po...

IMF Doesn't work after 10000 UCE's scanned
It seems like when ever the IMF scans about 10000 emails it stops working because people start receiving spam. Once I restart the smtp then IMF works again. Is there a registry setting that will change this limit? There's no limit on number of messages scanned! How did you determine this happens after 1000 messages are scanned and the number of messages scanned is causing it? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "JCas" <JCas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...

Application.Volatile not working as expected
I have a spreadsheet with some user defined VBA functions. If I bring up the spreadsheet by itself, everything works fine. If I load the subject spreadsheet from a "rollup" spreadsheet, (uses the subject spreadsheet and others like it as input), the user defined VBA functions are not being run - when using Excel 2000. If I use the same spreadsheet and run it under Excel 2002, the user functions do get run before the "rollup" spreadsheet starts reading data off the subject. (Functions are defined as "Application.Volatile"). Why? Is there a work around? Try a...

can multiple users work on same workbook at the same time?
We like to be able to work on different parts of the same workbook online. How can this be done? now if one of us is working on it, others get a message saying that this file is open by so and so and can only be used as a Read-Only. Is it possible to have multiple people made changes to the same workbook at the same time? thanks A. Thrompian, check out the Share Workbook command on the Tools Menu. It's just what you're looking for. -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks" www.ddmcomputing.com "A. Thrompian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.c...

Outlook Connector Not Working....
This morning Outlook 2003 with the Connector was fine. Now it fails to work. Allowed the update to download and it said it installed, but I still get the error message on startup of Outlook. Microsoft...what have you done to my Outlook? I can't download emails this evening for my business? Office Outlook 2003. Been using web-based email for several years which meant I had to employ Outlook connector when setup. This afternoon, I open Outlook to check enmail and get a pop up requiring Connnector to be upgraded. I follow promps, it goes through the install, closes the ...

Application_Startup doesn't seem to work
I have the following code in Class1 code Option Explicit Public WithEvents objReminders As Outlook.Reminders Sub Initialize_handler() Set objReminders = Application.Reminders MsgBox "Reminder handler initialized" End Sub Private Sub objReminders_ReminderFire(ByVal ReminderObject As Reminder) With ReminderObject ' irelevant code removed .Item.Display MsgBox .Caption .Dismiss End With End Sub And this in Module1 code Option Explicit Private Sub Application_Startup() Dim MyClass As New Class1 MyCl...

Disclaimer does not work
Hi there, I have a problem with the SMTP disclaimer. I did follow the 317680 procedure, I've created the script then I´ve registered with smtpreg.vbs. But nothing happens The script was registered in the routing group bridgehead server to avoid the MAPI problem. (All the servers sent SMTP mail to it and the outsise). At the same time I'm using webmail (OWA) to forward mail outside the organization. But the disclaimer doesn´t show up So I don´t understand the problem. Pls -- Gabriel N Argentina ...

Reply to not working
Hi, When clicking on 'Reply-To' or 'Reply-to-All' button, not all names appearing on the To: field. In fact, sometime none appeared. Any ideas what could have been wrong with my Outlook? vic ...

Money stopped working with WAMU
Ever since Washington Mutual updated their website my Microsoft Money downloads stopped working with those accounts. I upgraded to Money Plus and this is still not working. Microsoft Support is non responsive. Can anyone help me resolve this problem? Thanks, -Lary wrote: > Ever since Washington Mutual updated their website my Microsoft Money > downloads stopped working with those accounts. I upgraded to Money Plus and > this is still not working. Microsoft Support is non responsive. Can anyone > help me resolve this problem? > > Thanks, > I downloaded two ...

Read Mail button in IE8 not working
I upgraded from IE6 to IE8 today, and find that the Read Mail button does not work. In Tools / Internet Options / Programs / E-mail is set as Outlook Express (same as it was in IE6, where the Read Mail button worked fine). Also checked Control Panel / Add-Remove / Set Programs Access & Defaults / Outlook Express is ticked. What else should I check or set? TIA, George P.S. Using Windows XP with SP3. Thanks for the quick reply, but tried that and it didn't work. "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message news:hsnr0n$p6...

text wrap options don't work
Suddenly, I'm having 2 problems with text wrapping I never had before. Situation 1: When I place an image overlapping a text box, the words do not move out of the way. The image (or another text box, I've tried that too) just sits there and blocks my view of the words in the first text box. I've tried clicking on the various text wrap options, but when I choose any of them (Square, Tight, Through, Top & Bottom, or None) it simply ignores me and acts as if I have chosen None for everything. Situation 2: For some images (perhaps the type of image makes a difference) onl...

Working with dates and time
I need to calculate the elapsed time in hours from data in 4 date and time columns (date dd/mm/yyyy format and time in 24 hour format) e.g. Start Date Start Time Stop Date Stop Time 10/12/2008 15:10 13/12/2008 12:50 11/12/2008 02:00 11/12/2008 16:30 11/12/2008 10:10 13/12/2008 09:00 I need to then be able to find the average elapsed time in hours. Manually the solution for the above is: 69:40 14:30 46:50 Average elapsed time: 43:40 As I am not used to working with date and time fields, any he...

Check Activesheet for chart sheet or work sheet
Is there any method that will check whether the active sheet is a chart sheet or a worksheet? Thanks Hi, You could use the Typename funciton. MsgBox TypeName(ActiveSheet) Cheers Andy NSK wrote: > Is there any method that will check whether the active sheet is a chart sheet > or a worksheet? > > Thanks ...

Report view in Listview control not working?
Hi all, I have a listview control on one of my access (2003) forms. Currently I am populating the control with all the file and sub-folder names in my templates directory - using a recursive bit of code that utilises the fso. I am able to view the results fine if I set the listview's "view" property to 0, 1 or 2 (big icons, small icons or list). But if I set the darn thing to 3 (report) I don't see any results. Has anyone got any pointers on what might be going wrong? (In case it is relevant, I have not set any column names.) While I'm at it, has anyone got an...

Delay Send Not Working
Delay send isn't working correctly. User creates a message, clicks on Options, and selects Delay Send until after date/time. The date/time passes (by a few hours) and the message still sits in the Outbox. Any suggestions? Thanks! ...