populating neighbouring columns based on drop-down choice

I have a worksheet which contains a column listing types of issues.
Another column lists examples of each of these issues. (e.g., "ALT
incorrect" is the issue and "ALT missing", "ALT should be empty", and
"ALT not accurate" are all examples)
The other worksheets all are testing results tracking these issues by
webpage. The issue column on each of these worksheets is populated as
a dropdown based on a Defined Name from the first worksheet's issues
column via a Validated Data List.
I would like to construct a neighbouring column on each of these
worksheets so that when I choose an issue from the first column, the
next column on that row is populated with the correct examples.
I know this must be dead easy, but can't figure out. Thanks for
assistance.
0
mikeg

Try VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-vlookup-formula.htm
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/left-lookup.htm

--
Regards
Dave Hawley
"mikeg" <mikegower@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a worksheet which contains a column listing types of issues.
> Another column lists examples of each of these issues. (e.g., "ALT
> incorrect" is the issue and "ALT missing", "ALT should be empty", and
> "ALT not accurate" are all examples)
> The other worksheets all are testing results tracking these issues by
> webpage. The issue column on each of these worksheets is populated as
> a dropdown based on a Defined Name from the first worksheet's issues
> column via a Validated Data List.
> I would like to construct a neighbouring column on each of these
> worksheets so that when I choose an issue from the first column, the
> next column on that row is populated with the correct examples.
> I know this must be dead easy, but can't figure out. Thanks for
> assistance.

0
ozgrid

show another column when hovering on a point in a chart
Is it possible to show another column when you hover on a point? I have 3 columns, A, B, and C for a scatter plot I have B and C as x and y coordinates of a point, and I'd like to have Excel show A when I hover on the point. thanks, Wei ...

Can the column index in a cell address be made variable?
Hi, To refer to a cell with a variable row number, we can just code it as, for example, Dim i As Interger i=234 Range("A" & i).Select To refer to a cell with a variable column index, it seems not that easy because the column index must be explicitly specified in a cell address. So, if I want to go to the j th column on the 2nd row or j columns to the right of cell AA3, is there a quick and easy way to do it? Thank you in advance. David You may be able to use R1C1 terminology, but you'll need to get someone else to help from here. "cyberdude" <honc...

Coutry drop down
Is it any way to make the country a drodown list where the user can pick rather than type it ? Thanks Answered in the developer newsgroup. -- Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2 Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx Custom Lookup Dialog: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/?area=customLookup ---------------------------------------------------------- "Carlos" <ftepalcar@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:uRTB4y1gHHA.4208@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Is it any way to make the country a drodown list where the user can pick ...

Not allow entering repeated references in a column
Frank, If you don�t mind ... I will send it :) . As I don�t know your e-mail, I will give mine, which is ssouritinha@sapo.pt Just send your e-mail to my e-mail box and I will send the file. Thanks, Ritinh -- ritinh ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ritinha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1566 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27195 ...

Move/Copy A Row Based on Formulas to a New Worksheet
I want to move several rows of sub-totals (averages within sub-groups) to a summary worksheet, but I get the Ref error. How can I copy sub-group averages to another worksheet? Thank you. high light and copy. select where you want it. edit>paste special>values. this will turn you formulas into hard numbers. you are getting the #Ref error because on the other sheet where you pasted the formulas, the formula no longer had the same references that they had on the other sheet. for example: =sum(a1:a10) in cell a11 you copy and paste on another sheet at cell a1. excell tries to compensat...

Right click , drag and drop and cut , copy paste facilities
Why can't we have drag and drop , cut and paste facilities in any of the record forms Pretty limiting eh? Just chalk it up as one of many CRM shortcomings. Sometimes you can right click, sometimes you can't. Just get in the habit of using Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V. -- Brandon Smith IT Director Presentations Direct - Specialized Office Equipment & Supplies http://www.presentationsdirect.com "Nitin" <Nitin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2223FB31-B10E-4EA7-87C0-ED483F5F6E23@microsoft.com... > Why can't we have drag and drop , cut and past...

How can I parse or Loop a list based on single field to Googlemaps
This is some code that will parse each sequential field [Point_#) into a list for googlemaps. [Form_Runs].WebRouteMap.navigate "http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=" & "from: " & Me.Point_1 & (" to: " + Me.Point_2) & (" to: " + Me.Point_3) The table/form is laid outlike this: [Route_No] [Point_1] [Point_2] [Point_2] 5 North St, N1 East St, N3 High Road, W6 And the code will give this style of parsed list: from: North St, N1 to: East St, N3 to: High Road, W6 That works just ...

selecting multiple choices from a drop down list
I have a drop down list in a cell and I want to be able to selec multiple entries from that list. Does anyone know how I go this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If this is a data validation list, you could use code to compile a list of selected items. For example, if the data validation is in column C, the following code will store the selected items in the same row in column D: '============================= Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim rngDV As Range Application.EnableEvents = False If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub On Error Resume N...

Column comparing
I am trying to compare 2 columns of numbers so that I can identify and delete numbers no longer required. Can anyone help me find a formula for this please? Many thanks DT Check your earlier post. Dave T wrote: > > I am trying to compare 2 columns of numbers so that I can identify and > delete numbers no longer required. Can anyone help me find a formula for > this please? > > Many thanks > DT -- Dave Peterson ...

Rule to automatically mark header to download based on contact list?
Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? TIA. Rich On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 04:44:35 -1000, rmc <rmc@nospam.com> wrote: > Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? What version of Outlook are you using? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Hi Ben: 2003 SP1 Rich "Ben M. Schorr - MVP" <bens@bogusaddress.mvp> wrote in message news:op.spuxh8sf6r4cx1@bms-tablet2.scgab.com... > On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 04:44:35 -1000, rmc <rmc@nospam.com> wrote: > > > Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? > > What version of Outlook are you using? > > > -- >...

Hyper link one column to another
I would like to have my columns hyper link one another. For example: Click on B2 would take you to N2, and vice-versa. Click on C2 would take you to O2... and so on through column j linked to V. Is this possible without having to make the link for each cell? This is a timesheet template and the columns b though J are the hours and N through V are the text comments for those hours. When I copy the template to a new sheet, there will be no data in any column. I would like to be able to enter an amount or formula (=end-start) for time spent and then be able to click on that cell and hyperlin...

Prevent Hidden Column data from being copied/pasted?
A student came up with a question that I haven't been able to figure out yet in a recent Excel class. They are hiding a column and protecting the worksheet in the correct manner. They want to allow some users to access and enter information in some cells. They do not want the users to be able to copy and paste the information from the hidden column. The question is how can this be prevented? For example, Column B is hidden. When they copy a range such as A1:C10 and paste it to another worksheet, they are getting the "hidden" data in Column B in B1:B10. Any suggestions wou...

combining columns all the way down
I am trying to combine two columns of information in excel but th concatenate function doesnt seem to work for it. It may just be m ineptitude in excel but I just cant seem to figure this out. I have 3 colums Column A__________Column B___________Column C tree_______________ .jpg dog________________.gif House______________.png But I cant seem to be able to make it so that column C has tree.jpg an dog.gif and house.png Is concatenate the wrong thing to use here? or am I making my formula incorrectly -- sparkrom ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sparkro...

Named ranges
Excel 2003 I have a total sheet that gets data from three different shift sheets (all in the same workbook) for a monthly report. I have named ranges on each shift sheet for each month's production data (S1M1, S1M2, S1M3, S2M1...) where S1M1 =A2:AC147, S1M2 = A148:AC329, etc. The old formula was:=SUMIF('SHIFT 1'!$L$1:$L$147,"BB",'SHIFT 1'!$T$1:$T$147). I'm stumped as to what the new formula would be - how would I direct Excel to column L of S1M1 to search for "BB", then add the contents of column T? The range changes each month, and I tho...

Look up column name, match rows (a/cnumber) & summing up....its confusing!
Hi All, Here is what I'v been trying to do but..! I'v 2 sets of data (data1 & data2) Column name may be sane/different in each data set and same applies to acct_no.. I want to prepare a report that combine product & accounts data show accumulatd result on another sheet/file. Data 1 - upto Jan 2006 Acct. No Total Prod - A Prod - B Prod-C 1001 51 10 30 11 1002 47 15 20 12 1003 80 20 15 45 1004 64 25 16 23 Total 242 70 81 91 Data 2 - Feb 2006 Acct. No Total Prod - A Prod - B 1002 7 5 2 1004 16 10 6 1009 9 3 6 Total 32 18 14 Report required Acct upto Jan'06 Prod - ...

I need a formula to sum column b if column a is between two dates
I have an excel spreadsheet with employees time off. I need a formula that will add column b if column a is betwee two dates. For example: if column a is between 9/22/04 and 9/21/05 then add column b. I have tried all different formluas but can't get this to work. ...

Need to have more Columns available in advanced view
I know how to add columns in advanced view but i can't add all the columns I'd like to add. I can choose more fields (attributs) as search attributes than as result columns. Is there somewhere a switch to turn a field (attribute) into not only beeing searchable but selectable as a column in advanced search? Example: "Invoice Product": Is there a way to make an advanced search or view which delivers field (attributes) of "Invoice Product" as a result? Marko ...

Dialog based problem in vc6
Hi, I am writing an mfc project in vs6 and I have a problem! When I add radio button to my dialog based application and run the application and press that button my application hang, even when I try to run it in the test mode inside visual studio and press that radio button it stack the all environment why?? It append only if I add a radio button for a regular button its all ok! I install sp-6 but it didn't solve the problem. Thanks "Dave" <dbg@012.net.il> wrote in message news:eq14GyguEHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I am writing an mfc project in ...

setting a column value in code for an updatable ViewGrid
Is there a way to set the value for a column in code when a ViewGrid row is edited? I have a row-last-updated date that is a required audit field in all our systems (required by data management). I don't really want the user updating this field as it should always be system controlled. If I create an editable ViewGrid tied to either an SqlDataSource or an ObjectDataSource, the field seems to only be updatable by the user. I can set it the first time by setting the DefaultValue in code but that has no effect after there is an initial value in the column. Do I need to co...

Drop Down Help Assistance is very confusing. Can someone help me.
I am trying to create multiple drop down lists in my document. Can somenone explain in easy terms how to do this? You can use Data Validation to create dropdown lists in cells. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Erin wrote: > I am trying to create multiple drop down lists in my document. Can somenone > explain in easy terms how to do this? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Show a cell as drop-down even if cell not selected
Hi, Let A1 be a list using Data --> Validation --> List --> with 1,2,3 as values. Therefore, whenever A1 is selected it indicates with a small icon seemingly attached to the cell that a drop-down exists. Can we make a cell show that it contains a drop-down even when the cell is not selected? If so, how? The solution could be either through code or some external setting. Note that i am using Windows 2000, Office 2000. Thanking you in advance. Regards, Giri Hi there's no such option to automatically add an indicator. You may color these cells with a different color -...

Sent Items "To" Column won't show info
When I started using Outlook 2000, there was a column in the Sent Items folder for "From". I changed this column to "To". When I send an email and go look in the Sent folder, the column for "To" is blank. If I double-click on the sent email and close it again, the correct info is shown in the "To" column. How can I make this info appear without having to open the email? ...

Utility to process rules based on message receive times?
Hi, Does anyone know of a utility that will check a mailbox and process Outlook rules based on how long a message has been in an inbox, and/or remained unread? Thanks! Jeff Yes, there is at least one - Auto-mate. http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm#special -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exch...

copy & insert based on criterial
When Department changes I need to insert the ADDRESS below the Account-Institution Business Office:. Another option I have is that if address = get new address from page 2. HELP xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ending 02/13/10 Account-Institution Business Office: DEPT EMP.NBR EMPLOYEE NAME ADDRESS 883 27903 ROBERSON, JOE abc 883 119245 MUSIL, TODD E abc 883 Total ----------------------------------------------------------------- Account-Institution Business Office: DEPT EMP.NBR EMPLO...