Please Help: Append New text to Old text already present in databa

Hi All,

I have an excel form which populates access database.

On the form Once we input a student Id in the form, we can input student
records and also add comments, after making the changes we click "Submit" and
the data goes in the databae.
One field that I have on the form is "Comments" Textbox whereTA can insert
their comments for any student.
Here multiple TA's can comment for one student. The issue I want to resolve
is. When a new TA inserts a comment, Old comments are deleted and replaced by
the new comments. Is there a way to append new comments to old comments and
not delete the previous comments made by other TA's?

Hope I made it clear.

Thanks in advance

You should be able to add to the text box content by clicking in the display
window to activate the insertion point (cursor), then type in additional
data.

You can use the properties dialog box to set Multiline to True.  Then the
user can press Ctrl + Enter to make a linefeed and carriage return to add a
new line of data.

Not sure what the limit is on characters for a textbox, but there is one.
Probably 255.

"sam" <sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have an excel form which populates access database.
>
> On the form Once we input a student Id in the form, we can input student
> records and also add comments, after making the changes we click "Submit"
> and
> the data goes in the databae.
> One field that I have on the form is "Comments" Textbox whereTA can insert
> their comments for any student.
> Here multiple TA's can comment for one student. The issue I want to
> resolve
> is. When a new TA inserts a comment, Old comments are deleted and replaced
> by
> the new comments. Is there a way to append new comments to old comments
> and
> not delete the previous comments made by other TA's?
>
> Hope I made it clear.
>
> Thanks in advance

0
JLGWhiz
4/13/2010 12:20:56 AM
After reading your post again, you should disregard my original answer.  It
was based on amending text before the form is executed.

To do what you want, you would have to amend the code that posts the data to
Access so that it adds to the comments rather than replacing them.  Without
seeing the current code, it is impossible to offer a better solution.

"sam" <sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have an excel form which populates access database.
>
> On the form Once we input a student Id in the form, we can input student
> records and also add comments, after making the changes we click "Submit"
> and
> the data goes in the databae.
> One field that I have on the form is "Comments" Textbox whereTA can insert
> their comments for any student.
> Here multiple TA's can comment for one student. The issue I want to
> resolve
> is. When a new TA inserts a comment, Old comments are deleted and replaced
> by
> the new comments. Is there a way to append new comments to old comments
> and
> not delete the previous comments made by other TA's?
>
> Hope I made it clear.
>
> Thanks in advance

0
JLGWhiz
4/13/2010 12:30:58 AM
HI JLGWhiz,

Here is my code to get data from excel form into access:

Dim r as integer, cn As Object, rs As Object

Set cn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0; " & _
        "Data Source=C:\Students\Students_Data.accdb; Jet OLEDB:Database
Password=stu1123; "

rs.Open "Students_Data_Table", cn, 1, 3, 2

With rs
            .Addnew

            .Fields("Student_Number") = Me.StudentNo.Value
            .Fields("Student_FName") = Me.FName.Value
            .Fields("Student_LName") = Me.LName.Value
            .Fields("Student_Major") = Me.Major.Value
            .Fields("Student_Level") = Me.Level.Value
            .Fields("Student_Age") = Me.Age.Value
             .Fields("Comments") = Me.Comments.Value

            .Update
        End With
       r = r + 1

Set cn = Nothing
Set rs = Nothing

Thanks in advance

"JLGWhiz" wrote:

> After reading your post again, you should disregard my original answer.  It
> was based on amending text before the form is executed.
>
> To do what you want, you would have to amend the code that posts the data to
> Access so that it adds to the comments rather than replacing them.  Without
> seeing the current code, it is impossible to offer a better solution.
>

> "sam" <sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have an excel form which populates access database.
> >
> > On the form Once we input a student Id in the form, we can input student
> > records and also add comments, after making the changes we click "Submit"
> > and
> > the data goes in the databae.
> > One field that I have on the form is "Comments" Textbox whereTA can insert
> > their comments for any student.
> > Here multiple TA's can comment for one student. The issue I want to
> > resolve
> > is. When a new TA inserts a comment, Old comments are deleted and replaced
> > by
> > the new comments. Is there a way to append new comments to old comments
> > and
> > not delete the previous comments made by other TA's?
> >
> > Hope I made it clear.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>

> .

I know very little about Access programming, but this might work:

 .Fields("Comments") = Fields("Comments").Value & _
                                          ";" & Me.Comments.Value

The syntax might not be right, but concantenation seems to be the answer.
One problem might be that in Access the data field would be limited in
characters that could be entered.

> HI JLGWhiz,
>
> Here is my code to get data from excel form into access:
>
> Dim r as integer, cn As Object, rs As Object
>
> Set cn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
> Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
>
> cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0; " & _
>        "Data Source=C:\Students\Students_Data.accdb; Jet OLEDB:Database
> Password=stu1123; "
>
> rs.Open "Students_Data_Table", cn, 1, 3, 2
>
> With rs
>            .Addnew
>
>            .Fields("Student_Number") = Me.StudentNo.Value
>            .Fields("Student_FName") = Me.FName.Value
>            .Fields("Student_LName") = Me.LName.Value
>            .Fields("Student_Major") = Me.Major.Value
>            .Fields("Student_Level") = Me.Level.Value
>            .Fields("Student_Age") = Me.Age.Value
>             .Fields("Comments") = Me.Comments.Value
>
>            .Update
>        End With
>       r = r + 1
>
> Set cn = Nothing
> Set rs = Nothing
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> "JLGWhiz" wrote:
>
>> After reading your post again, you should disregard my original answer.
>> It
>> was based on amending text before the form is executed.
>>
>> To do what you want, you would have to amend the code that posts the data
>> Access so that it adds to the comments rather than replacing them.
>> Without
>> seeing the current code, it is impossible to offer a better solution.
>>

>> "sam" <sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I have an excel form which populates access database.
>> >
>> > On the form Once we input a student Id in the form, we can input
>> > student
>> > records and also add comments, after making the changes we click
>> > "Submit"
>> > and
>> > the data goes in the databae.
>> > One field that I have on the form is "Comments" Textbox whereTA can
>> > insert
>> > their comments for any student.
>> > Here multiple TA's can comment for one student. The issue I want to
>> > resolve
>> > is. When a new TA inserts a comment, Old comments are deleted and
>> > replaced
>> > by
>> > the new comments. Is there a way to append new comments to old comments
>> > and
>> > not delete the previous comments made by other TA's?
>> >
>> > Hope I made it clear.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>>

>> .

0
JLGWhiz

Excel 97 VBA Help File

Control Button to Create a New Record in Another Form
I've developed a MS Access application for Trade Shows. One of my tables contains all basic client info. This table is used as the data source for both a complete client form and a partial data form. Both forms can show all clients (individually). Using the partial data form I want to create a button that copies the current record and creates a new record in a form titled Trade Show Attendees. Other data in the Trade Show Attendees must be entered to complete that attendee's record. Some of the data entered will populate the TradeShow Attendees table. Can anyone describe t...

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

Help, I cannot Save!

Help Required

Setting up a new e-mail account

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Need HELP! for Linking data

parameter for text

Help with Registration

Help about numeric type field. Thanks.

HELP! Outlook POP3 problem(s)

Spam Filtering HELP
I recently started a new job, and discovered after day one, that I had inharited a spam mess. Now the previous admin ad installed a Symantic Spam Server Prox which in my opinion, was a complete waste of money as it does not allow for blocking IP addresses. Now here is the question; I am running Exchange 2003, and am looking at setting up the Conection Filter under Message Delivery to block messages based on IP address. The problem is that when I save the IPs to be blocked, I get a message stating that the Connection filter "has to be enabled manually through the specific SMTP virtual serv...

Need macro help to close excel

Help with simple(?) VBA function

Excel Text Function (Right, Left)

If Then Help!!!!
Hi! I'm stuck. I have a working macro but it needs a small tweek. The macro executes a find statement and performs calculations from the find to the end of the column. The problem is when nothing is found. I need an if statement or suggestion on how to tell it to skip the calculations if there is nothing found. This is what I have so far(with no if's): Cells.Find(What:="RIM", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas _ , LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _ MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate Selection.End(xlToRi...

Odd e-mail duplication problem