Opening and Naming Files

I want to be able to open a file from any users desktop.

From my desktop, the command is

        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\403.csv"

How do I automate this, using
    UserName = Range("G5").Value

So that if the user enters 'Dave' into G5, the code line will change to

        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\403.csv" ?

Thanks,
Jim Berglund
0
Jim

This will work for any user, no need to get the user name

Workbooks.Open Filename:="..\Desktop\403.csv"

But if you really want to manipulate strings

UserName = Range("G5").Value
strPath1 = "C:\Users\"
strPath2 = "\Desktop\403.csv"
strFileNamePath = strPath1 & UserName & strPath2

Workbooks.Open Filename:=strFileNamePath

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com

"Jim Berglund" <jazzzbo@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I want to be able to open a file from any users desktop.
> From my desktop, the command is
>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\403.csv"
>
> How do I automate this, using UserName = Range("G5").Value
>
> So that if the user enters 'Dave' into G5, the code line will change to
>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\403.csv" ?
>
> Thanks, Jim Berglund

0
Ed
5/17/2010 5:52:50 AM
there is no error checking but

Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\" & Range("G5").Value &
"\Desktop\403.csv"

the range should be qualified and there should be some code if the user
enters or spells the name wrong
--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Jim Berglund" <jazzzbo@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I want to be able to open a file from any users desktop.
> From my desktop, the command is
>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\403.csv"
>
> How do I automate this, using UserName = Range("G5").Value
>
> So that if the user enters 'Dave' into G5, the code line will change to
>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\403.csv" ?
>
> Thanks, Jim Berglund

0
Gary
5/17/2010 6:09:43 AM
Name your username cell "UserName" and then use;

Sub OpenIt()
On Error GoTo NoGo
Workbooks.Open _
Filename:="C:\Users\" & _
Range("UserName") & _
"\Desktop\403.csv"
Exit Sub
NoGo: MsgBox "'C:\Users\" _
& Range("UserName") & _
"\Desktop\403.csv' is not valid"
End Sub

--
Regards
Dave Hawley
"Jim Berglund" <jazzzbo@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>I want to be able to open a file from any users desktop.
> From my desktop, the command is
>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\403.csv"
>
> How do I automate this, using UserName = Range("G5").Value
>
> So that if the user enters 'Dave' into G5, the code line will change to
>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\403.csv" ?
>
> Thanks, Jim Berglund

0
ozgrid
5/17/2010 6:33:48 AM
Note that the "Users" directory is new as of Windows Vista. In Windows
XP and earlier, the folder name is "Documents And Settings".  Vista
and Windows 7 provide backwards compatibility by aliasing "Documents
And Settings" to point to "Users", but the reverse is not true.  You
would be best off using code like

Dim DesktopFolder As String
Dim N As Long
Dim UserName As String
UserName = Range("G5").Value
DesktopFolder = Environ("userprofile")
N = InStrRev(DesktopFolder, "\")
DesktopFolder = Left(DesktopFolder, N) & UserName & "\Desktop"
Debug.Print DesktopFolder

If you want to get the desktop folder for the current user, you can
simplify this to

Dim DesktopFolder As String
DesktopFolder = Environ("userprofile") & "\Desktop"

If you want a really ironclad way to do this, see the code and
download at http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/SpecialFolders.aspx . It is
a lot of code, but allows you to get any of the special user folders
(Application Data, Program Files, Favorites, etc).

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
	Excel, 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:36:25 -0600, "Jim Berglund" <jazzzbo@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>I want to be able to open a file from any users desktop.
>
>From my desktop, the command is
>
>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\403.csv"
>
>How do I automate this, using
>    UserName = Range("G5").Value
>
>So that if the user enters 'Dave' into G5, the code line will change to
>
>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\403.csv" ?
>
>Thanks,
>Jim Berglund
0
Chip
5/17/2010 12:14:18 PM
Ed, I've tried this. It is the ideal solution I'm looking for, but I encoded
the application on Windows 7, and when I transferred it to my Vista Laptop,
I got a runtime error 1004:
'..\Desktop\403.csv' could not be found.

It is on the local desktop. What could be wrong?

Jim

"Ed Ferrero" <ed@edferrero.com> wrote in message
> This will work for any user, no need to get the user name
>
> Workbooks.Open Filename:="..\Desktop\403.csv"
>
> But if you really want to manipulate strings
>
> UserName = Range("G5").Value
> strPath1 = "C:\Users\"
> strPath2 = "\Desktop\403.csv"
> strFileNamePath = strPath1 & UserName & strPath2
>
> Workbooks.Open Filename:=strFileNamePath
>
> Ed Ferrero
> www.edferrero.com
>
> "Jim Berglund" <jazzzbo@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> I want to be able to open a file from any users desktop.
>> From my desktop, the command is
>>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\403.csv"
>>
>> How do I automate this, using UserName = Range("G5").Value
>>
>> So that if the user enters 'Dave' into G5, the code line will change to
>>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\403.csv" ?
>>
>> Thanks, Jim Berglund

0
Jim
5/18/2010 2:47:51 AM
Chip, I appreciate what you've sent, but it's overkill for what I want to
do.
I like Ed's approach, replacing the cumbersome method I started with with
the elegant and simple replacement,

'..\Desktop\403.csv'

This should work for all my users, and does on the Win 7 computer where I
developed the code. Strangely, it doesn't on my Vista laptop. Do you have
any idea what might be causing the runtime error 1004: '..\Desktop\403.csv'
could not be found...

The file is on the local desktop. What could be wrong?

Jim

"Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> Note that the "Users" directory is new as of Windows Vista. In Windows
> XP and earlier, the folder name is "Documents And Settings".  Vista
> and Windows 7 provide backwards compatibility by aliasing "Documents
> And Settings" to point to "Users", but the reverse is not true.  You
> would be best off using code like
>
> Dim DesktopFolder As String
> Dim N As Long
> Dim UserName As String
> UserName = Range("G5").Value
> DesktopFolder = Environ("userprofile")
> N = InStrRev(DesktopFolder, "\")
> DesktopFolder = Left(DesktopFolder, N) & UserName & "\Desktop"
> Debug.Print DesktopFolder
>
> If you want to get the desktop folder for the current user, you can
> simplify this to
>
> Dim DesktopFolder As String
> DesktopFolder = Environ("userprofile") & "\Desktop"
>
> If you want a really ironclad way to do this, see the code and
> download at http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/SpecialFolders.aspx . It is
> a lot of code, but allows you to get any of the special user folders
> (Application Data, Program Files, Favorites, etc).
>

> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
> Excel, 1998 - 2010
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:36:25 -0600, "Jim Berglund" <jazzzbo@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>I want to be able to open a file from any users desktop.
>>
>>From my desktop, the command is
>>
>>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\403.csv"
>>
>>How do I automate this, using
>>    UserName = Range("G5").Value
>>
>>So that if the user enters 'Dave' into G5, the code line will change to
>>
>>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\403.csv" ?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Jim Berglund

0
Jim
5/18/2010 2:52:56 AM
Ed's approach works only if the current working directory has not been
changed from the default "C:\Users\<username>\Documents". However it
is not at all uncommon for code to change the current drive and/or
directory. For example, with a newly opened session of Excel, run the
code

Sub AAA()
    Dim FName As String
    FName = "..\Desktop\keys.lnk"
    Debug.Print Dir(FName)
End Sub

Change "keys.lnk" to some folder on the desktop. The code will
correctly display "keys.lnk". However, if you run

Sub AAA()
    Dim FName As String
    ChDrive "D:\MyFolder" ' or any other folder
    ChDir "D:\MyFolder"
    FName = "..\Desktop\keys.lnk"
    Debug.Print Dir(FName)
End Sub

Ed's code won't work because the ".." in the file spec is a relative
path from the current directory. If the current directory has changed,
the relative path will point to some other directory, or to no
directory at all. You should never assume that the current directory
has some value known before your code runs. You should write the code
such that it will work regardless of what the current directory
happens to be at run time.  My code, using environ("userprofile") does
exactly that.

On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:52:56 -0600, "Jim Berglund" <jazzzbo@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Chip, I appreciate what you've sent, but it's overkill for what I want to
>do.
>I like Ed's approach, replacing the cumbersome method I started with with
>the elegant and simple replacement,
>
>'..\Desktop\403.csv'
>
>This should work for all my users, and does on the Win 7 computer where I
>developed the code. Strangely, it doesn't on my Vista laptop. Do you have
>any idea what might be causing the runtime error 1004: '..\Desktop\403.csv'
>could not be found...
>
>The file is on the local desktop. What could be wrong?
>
>Jim
>

>"Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
>> Note that the "Users" directory is new as of Windows Vista. In Windows
>> XP and earlier, the folder name is "Documents And Settings".  Vista
>> and Windows 7 provide backwards compatibility by aliasing "Documents
>> And Settings" to point to "Users", but the reverse is not true.  You
>> would be best off using code like
>>
>> Dim DesktopFolder As String
>> Dim N As Long
>> Dim UserName As String
>> UserName = Range("G5").Value
>> DesktopFolder = Environ("userprofile")
>> N = InStrRev(DesktopFolder, "\")
>> DesktopFolder = Left(DesktopFolder, N) & UserName & "\Desktop"
>> Debug.Print DesktopFolder
>>
>> If you want to get the desktop folder for the current user, you can
>> simplify this to
>>
>> Dim DesktopFolder As String
>> DesktopFolder = Environ("userprofile") & "\Desktop"
>>
>> If you want a really ironclad way to do this, see the code and
>> download at http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/SpecialFolders.aspx . It is
>> a lot of code, but allows you to get any of the special user folders
>> (Application Data, Program Files, Favorites, etc).
>>

>> Cordially,
>> Chip Pearson
>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
>> Excel, 1998 - 2010
>> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
>> www.cpearson.com
>>

>> On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:36:25 -0600, "Jim Berglund" <jazzzbo@shaw.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I want to be able to open a file from any users desktop.
>>>
>>>From my desktop, the command is
>>>
>>>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Jim\Desktop\403.csv"
>>>
>>>How do I automate this, using
>>>    UserName = Range("G5").Value
>>>
>>>So that if the user enters 'Dave' into G5, the code line will change to
>>>
>>>        Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\403.csv" ?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Jim Berglund
0
Chip

Problem: "Debug Assertion Failed", File:afxcmn.inl
Hi, I have created an ActiveX ocx control in VC++6.0. When I run it in an ActiveX container of TSTCON32.exe. (the one that is shown while debugging) it runs perfectly. Iam trying to include it in a webpage (I am using visual-interdev for web page creation) by first customizing the toolbox for that ActiveX control and then dragging it to the web page from the toolbox. As soon as I drag it to the webpage, the IDE crashes with a message "Debug Assertion Failed", File:afxcmn.inl Can u suggest me why the problem is occurring and whets the probable solution. Thanks in advance Vijay...

File Dialog in access 2007 01-11-10
Im having problems with the following code in access 2007. I'm trying to open a file dialog to place an image into a form. Any help would be appreciated Reghards Rob. Sub getFileName() ' Displays the Office File Open dialog to choose a file name ' for the current id record. If the user selects a file ' display it in the image control. Dim fileName As String Dim result As Integer With Application.FileDialog(MsoFileDialogOpen) .Title = "Select Picture" .AllowMultiSelect = False .Filters.Clear...

How do you check on Vista if .exe file is 32-bit or 64-bit?
Assume 64-bit Vista and assume that you do not want to run/ execute .exe file. Is there a utility that will read an .exe file and provide specifics like 32-bit or 64-bit code? I can use VS2008 to open any .exe file and it will display a lot of info included there but none indicates if the code was compiled as 32- bit or 64-bit >Is there a utility that will read an .exe file and provide specifics >like 32-bit or 64-bit code? depends (www.dependencywalker.com) or dumpbin /HEADERS Dave ...

Open Items
I have a client that uses open items for things like shipping. They have the price set to $0.00, and it marked Must enter price at the POS. The problem is when they put the price in it changes back to $0.00, and they have to put the price in again. I know this will happen if the item is on sale, but it's not. Anyone else have any ideas? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C92AFD.F5BBAE20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable If you are using Price levels, that is the source of the probl...

HOW DO i ALPHABETIZE A LIST OF SCHOOL (NOT NAMES) IN EXCEL
HOW DO I ALPHABETIZE A LIST OF SCHOOLS Please don't type in ALL CAPS. It is considered to be "shouting" and rude. Example??? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "GERRIREN" <GERRIREN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70D108A6-2909-49C9-9F92-E110FC900A6B@microsoft.com... > HOW DO I ALPHABETIZE A LIST OF SCHOOLS Select all of the cells involved in all columns and rows, then use Data Sort and it will lead you through the process. "GERRIREN" wrote: > HOW DO I ALPHABETIZE A LIST OF SCHO...

Excel 2007
On Windows XP SP2 using Excel 2007 I am unable to print from the Open file dialogue. Here is what I am doing: Clicking Open from the Office button Navigating to the file I would to Print Highlighting the document Selecting Print from the Tools menu in the lower left hand corner of the dialogue box The error message I receive states: Cannot print file. It then gives a series of possible reasons, none of which apply because I can print the document if I open it first and then print it normally. Also, I can use the above sequence to print the document if the document is already open. This ser...

Mac OSX How to open a .pub image.
I received an image in the .pub file format from a non-computer literate person. In what program can I open it, or to what program can I import it to - being on Mac OSX 10.3.9 as I am? Thanks! --Doc. On 7/15/05 6:30 PM, in article BEFDB139.E017%drcocktail@bigfoot.com, "DrCocktail" <drcocktail@bigfoot.com> wrote: > I received an image in the .pub file format from a non-computer literate > person. In what program can I open it, or to what program can I import it to > - being on Mac OSX 10.3.9 as I am? It won't open in anything on the Mac. It needs Microsoft Pu...

Making Folders Stay Open?
I have a couple of Personal Folders that I would like to stay open at all times. Mainly, I would like them to be open when I start Outlook 2003. Is there any way to set up a folder so that it stays open? Thanks, -barry Only your default folders. The other personal folders you will have to expand manually. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Barry F Margolius asked: | I have a...

Publisher can't open a file it just created
Working with Publisher 2003 we just reinstalled it on a computer because it started have problems opening publisher 2003 files. If I create a new file in publisher then save it, when I try to open it again it tells me that it can not open this file. Has anyone else run into this? It happened on another computer once before and we formated and reinstalled windows. I'd like to not have to re install windows if I can help it. Chris Are you saving the file to the hard drive? Do you have Norton? If so disable "script blocking" and in Norton's options disable "Of...

Money 2004 standar didn't convert Money 2000 delux file
Hi all, I just installed Money 2004 Standar on XP. I just buy it. I used to have a Money 2000 Deluxe. When I try to convert my data file, to work with Money 2004 the program makes a copy of the file with the extension "MN8" and then stops with the error: "Money cannot convert the file" Is there any way I can Convert the file even if the previous version was a Delux and the new is an Standar version? Thanks Fernando Sainz ...

had a virus, now cannot open IE
I have icons on desktop..try to click aol or msn icon get reply cannot find file....same with trying to open from start..I had Total PC Defender and finally got rid of it with Malwarebytes. Did I delete something that maybe I shouldn't have? Chicken wrote: > I have icons on desktop..try to click aol or msn icon get reply > cannot find file....same with trying to open from start..I had Total > PC Defender and finally got rid of it with Malwarebytes. Did I > delete something that maybe I shouldn't have? First, we need to know the name of the malware. O...

Non specific error on opening Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000 Pro system
"Cannot Open Microsoft Outlook. A program error has occurred. Quit Outlook and Windows and then start again." This happens with all profiles on the system. I've repaired Office, reinstalled Office, then uninstalled and reinstalled Office (and redownloaded and applied all patches). It still errors. Other Office apps open just fine. Outlook does connect to the Exchange server, since I can configure services and it recognizes the LAN ID. Any thoughts? Does it start in safe mode, go to Start > Run > type "Outlook /safe" without the quotes "Paula&qu...

Insert a file path as a hyperlink
Is there a way to browse and select the file path and insert it as a hyperlink like in Outlook 2000? Like, in what application? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Brooke asked: | Is there a way to browse and select the file path and | insert it as a hyperlink like in Outlook 2000? First, you have to select HTML from the Format menu. Then, type or past...

A way to link master pages from a master file in publisher?
Is there a way to create a master file (i.e. a template) and link it to several publisher files? That way if the border etc... changes inthe master file, it is updated in all the other linked files. I have figured out master pages, but the files get way to big if I want to contain my entire portfolio on one file. ...

>>>Live Chat
On October 4, 2007, the Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) team will host an Open Forum Live Chat. In this chat, our experts will take questions on any Microsoft Dynamics RMS topic. If we get a high volume of questions during the Open Forum chat, our experts might not be able to respond to all of them within the chat timeframe. In that event, our experts will respond after the chat ends, to the extent possible, and their answers will be included in the transcript for the chat. The transcript will be posted to the using page.http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/using Si...

Sharing outlook express files
If this question is to the wrong ng apologies and please point me in the right direction! I have two computers, both running XP home, linked through a recently acquired Dell wireless router. I want to be able to use either machine for email, using the same email files. The older machine has my email .dbx files. I have shared the folder concerned and made it writable. On the newer machine (laptop) I use Outlook express tools->options->maintenance->store folder and point it at the folder on the other machine. Tells me it will happen next time I restart Express...but nothing happens, ...

How do I read text file in an EXCEL SHEET
Hello, With regards to EXCEL how we read the text file in EXCEL sheet using MACRO. The file is located in d:\Sql\Documents\Amit\log.txt. I want to save the EXCEL sheet, and every time when I open this sheet it reads this text file and displays the contents of this text file in Excel Sheet. I want to use MACRO for reading this text file.How I do that? Thanks Amit fileName = "D:\Sql\Documents\Amit\log.txt" Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=fileName OR Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=fileName, Origin:=xlWindows, StartRow _ :=1, DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array( _ Array(0,...

Error Opening archive .pst
I have archived several years worth of Outlook data. I have created an archive file for each year, and moved the archives to CD. The file does not span CD's. The archive files were created some time ago, and I get an error when attempting to open them. Access denied. I opened them before... What is the trick...? Is it because they are on CD now...? or is it because I have migrated to a new version of Outlook (2003)...? or is it because I have changed user names from my business address when the archives were created to my personal outlook program at home...? i.e. userid changed..? ...

How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1?
How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1? On 2/26/08 5:15 PM, in article ee8ee56.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "mollycat@officeformac.com" <mollycat@officeformac.com> wrote: > How do I change the Product Key code and the User name of Microsoft Office > 2008 once installed on Mac OSX 10.5.1? Delete these two files: ~:Library:Preferences:Microsoft:Office 2008:Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist where ~ is your home folder, and HD:Applications:Microsoft Office 2008:Office:OfficePID.plist -- Diane, ...

Lost file
My daughter turned off my computer before I could name/save a file in Excel. Will a temp version of it exist anywhere? Thanks! ...

Auto format causes very large .xls files and slows my application.
I don't know how many rows of data will be entered at runtime. Presently I guess the maximum and apply auto format conditions to all rows that "could" be used. But this is creating very large .xls files (35MB) and is very inefficient since every cell format is reassessed every time the workbook is modified (can't switch off auto calc since users will forget to calc ! it's ok for me but not them.). Without using VBA, is there a way to apply auto format to rows containing data ? Select the range, then use Format - Autoformat. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthis...

Saving attached files in Outlook
What is OLK8 and what is it supposed to do? Outlook wants to save attached files to a folder called OLK8. When I want to go find the files I can't find the folder OLK8 even thought the save path indicated that it was in "local settings". It doesn't appear to be a hidden file. Why is OLK8 so hard to find when it is the default Outlook save location? The MS KB is (per usual) no help. It is a temporary file for storing attachments. If you are using Windows 2000 or XP, try turning on hidden and system folders and then go look again. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outl...

Access 2K7
I followed the directions here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285820 When I run it, I'm getting the error: "438 Object doesn't support this property or method" It looks like it's breaking on this bit of code: ".Picture = strImagePath" Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Module code: Option Compare Database Option Explicit Public Function DisplayImage(ctlImageControl As Control, strImagePath As Variant) As String On Error GoTo Err_DisplayImage Dim strResult As String Dim strDatabasePath As String Dim intSlashLo...

Exporting One File to Two Others
Here's the situation - hopefully someone can answer my question or come up with a better idea. My daughter owns a used book store and has and inventory of over 10,000 books. My thoughts were to have three different files for serch purposes. ie Title, Auther, Subjuct Matter and add a Referance Number to each book. This way if a customer askes for a book, the serch would be easy. The problem lies in the sales. When a customer purchases a book, she would write down the Referance Number on a sheet of paper then at the end of the day, enter all the days Reference Number into the fi...

Someone's using my domain name to send e-mails
I came into work this morning and I received an e-mail from myself. An e-mail I never sent. From: Annsmith@mydomain.com To: Annsmith@mydomain.com How is this possible?. The message was for weight loss pills. I look after the computers in the office so I have to find an answer for this problem. Also, last week, an employee received and e-mail from someone using our domain name. jim@mydomain.com. Right away I knew it was fake because we don't use that kind of naming convention here at the office and I'm the only one who sets up the e-mail addresses. We use Outlook 2000 and excha...