Need largest number

I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In the
next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have another
numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.

All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do is
find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of columns 1
and 2.

Example:
Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need formula)
12345     AA          1           5
12345     AA          1           5
12345     AA          2           5
98765     BA          2           2
98765     BA          1           2
12345     AA          5           5
98765     BA           2          2

Thank you.

Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
down...

=SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))

Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the largest
row number you ever expect to put data in.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In the
> next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have
> another
> numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.
>
> All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do is
> find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of columns
> 1
> and 2.
>
> Example:
> Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need
> formula)
> 12345     AA          1           5
> 12345     AA          1           5
> 12345     AA          2           5
> 98765     BA          2           2
> 98765     BA          1           2
> 12345     AA          5           5
> 98765     BA           2          2
>
> Thank you.

0
Rick
6/7/2010 5:23:57 PM
That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
> down...
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
>
> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the largest
> row number you ever expect to put data in.
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In the
> > next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have
> > another
> > numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.
> >
> > All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do is
> > find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of columns
> > 1
> > and 2.
> >
> > Example:
> > Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need
> > formula)
> > 12345     AA          1           5
> > 12345     AA          1           5
> > 12345     AA          2           5
> > 98765     BA          2           2
> > 98765     BA          1           2
> > 12345     AA          5           5
> > 98765     BA           2          2
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> .

The formula works here for the data you provided to us, so I have to ask to
be sure... did you copy/paste my formula into your worksheet or did you
attempt to type it longhand (possibly introducing a typing error in the
process)? If you copy/pasted it, then I have to conclude your data is
different in some way from what you posted. Again, if you copy/pasted the
formula in and it is not working, then you can send me your workbook and
I'll see if I can spot what the problem is. If you do send it to me, make
sure to remove the NO.SPAM stuff from my address.

--

> That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE
>
> "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
>
>> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
>> down...
>>
>> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
>>
>> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the
>> largest
>> row number you ever expect to put data in.
>>
>> --
>> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>>

>> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In
>> > the
>> > next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have
>> > another
>> > numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.
>> >
>> > All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do
>> > is
>> > find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of
>> > columns
>> > 1
>> > and 2.
>> >
>> > Example:
>> > Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need
>> > formula)
>> > 12345     AA          1           5
>> > 12345     AA          1           5
>> > 12345     AA          2           5
>> > 98765     BA          2           2
>> > 98765     BA          1           2
>> > 12345     AA          5           5
>> > 98765     BA           2          2
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>>
>> .

0
Rick
6/7/2010 7:33:00 PM
Sorry about that.  User error.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> The formula works here for the data you provided to us, so I have to ask to
> be sure... did you copy/paste my formula into your worksheet or did you
> attempt to type it longhand (possibly introducing a typing error in the
> process)? If you copy/pasted it, then I have to conclude your data is
> different in some way from what you posted. Again, if you copy/pasted the
> formula in and it is not working, then you can send me your workbook and
> I'll see if I can spot what the problem is. If you do send it to me, make
> sure to remove the NO.SPAM stuff from my address.
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE
> >
> > "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
> >> down...
> >>
> >> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
> >>
> >> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the
> >> largest
> >> row number you ever expect to put data in.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rick (MVP - Excel)
> >>

> >> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>
> .

Rick,

I sent you the file in hopes you can help again.  It doesn't seem to work in
the actual file although it works in the test file of the sample I gave.
THanks.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> The formula works here for the data you provided to us, so I have to ask to
> be sure... did you copy/paste my formula into your worksheet or did you
> attempt to type it longhand (possibly introducing a typing error in the
> process)? If you copy/pasted it, then I have to conclude your data is
> different in some way from what you posted. Again, if you copy/pasted the
> formula in and it is not working, then you can send me your workbook and
> I'll see if I can spot what the problem is. If you do send it to me, make
> sure to remove the NO.SPAM stuff from my address.
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE
> >
> > "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
> >> down...
> >>
> >> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
> >>
> >> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the
> >> largest
> >> row number you ever expect to put data in.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rick (MVP - Excel)
> >>

> >> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>
> .

I need to track stats for my pool league.
I am the new treasurer and statustician for a billiards pool league and I have to make up all of the programs myself. I haven't a clue as to how to do this the easiest way. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. "Jody" <jojos_sporty@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5A1DB5C4-598F-4FAD-9395-F98957BD8B93@microsoft.com... >I am the new treasurer and statustician for a billiards pool league and I > have to make up all of the programs myself. I haven't a clue as to how to > do > this the easiest way. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance. > Then ...

Need help with locking columns
I am trying to lock columns A, F, and H on Sheet1 so that when a user opens the workbook, these 3 columns are locked for any editing, however, I want the user to be able to edit any thing else on the sheet. I need help with the code. thanks Al Al, Try this. Select all cells by clicking the box above the 1 of row 1. Right click anywhere on the sheet Format Cells - Protection Tab and un-check 'Locked' - OK Select your 3 columns by holding down CTRL and clicking on the column header of each column Right click in one of the selected columns and repeat the formatti...

Automatically Numbering Records
I'm new to MS Access. I need help to automatically number a field sequentially without using AutoNumber. The format of the numbering is four digits “0000”. And "9999" maximum is more than enough. If possible provide step-by-step directions. Thank You -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200708/1 You can use the DMax Function to retrieve the largest last used number from this field in your table and use that value (+1, of course) as your next value when you create a new record. You want step-by-step directions, b...

numbering Invoices
hello a question for a Friend of mine..hes wondering if theres any way to Automatically number his invoices e.g. invoice 0001, invoice 0002 etc instead of numbering them individually?. (we are both Newbees to computing) Any help greatly Appreciated. Thanyou Regards Alan Hi Alan yes, but it requires a VBA solution (ie a bit of code). How is he generating the invoices themselves now? is he using a template or opening an old invoice & typing over the top of it and saving it? give us a bit more detail and we should be able to come up with something for you. Cheers JulieD "Ala...

Document Number and GL dist on Computer Check Edit List
The document number and GL distributions both need to be on the Computer Check Edit List. Currently, you can have either of them, but not both. The report currently only shows the voucher number and that is useless to an AP clerk who is trying to match a stack of invoices to the transactions in the batch. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in th...

Exact permissions needed to manage PF properties in System Manager
Greetings all. I have a few administrators who belong to a security group that is delegated View Only Administrator privileges on the administrative group. I'd like them to remain view only admins. However they need to be able to use System Manager to modify propereties of public folders (e-mail addresses, replica lists, etc). So far I have not been able to figure out what exact permissions (and where) to grant them in order to enable them to do so. At first, they were getting prompted for credentials when trying to apply changes (they needed to add an SMTP address to a public folder)...

need chart that displays overlap/duplication between two entities
I'm trying to show the audience overlap/duplication between web site A and web sites b through F. THe amount is small ranging from .02% to .18% so the scale is difficult. Any ideas? You can manually change scales on any charts. Click on either the X-axis or Y axis and the axis will be hightlighted. then click again to open the properties. You can change tthe min value and max value to get more precies details on the charts. "Bsacco" wrote: > I'm trying to show the audience overlap/duplication between web site A and > web sites b through F. > > THe ...

Attachment file size and max number number of files
Hi Where can I get information about following things.... 1) Where to set max file size that can be uploaded on CRM? 2) Where to set Number of files that can be uploaded to single entity instance in CRM 3) Is there any thing like Total size of all files uploaded to single entity instance, I mean if there is not restriction on number of files that can be attache to single entity instance can I upload huge number of files which having aggregated file size more than max allowable file size for single file. Regards Mak ...

Determining number of weeks between dates
Hello all, wonder if anyone can help me out with this question. In database I need to say how many weeks are left between two dates. Fo example 21/05/04 and 31/03/05. Anyone have any ideas how to do this Any help much appreciated -- goonboy17 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- goonboy175's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2533 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38810 How accurate do you want it? You could simply subtract one from the other and divide by 7 e.g =(A1/B1)/7 -- ...

Need Help Programming #2
Yes, I want to use a variable inflation rates. I don't want to see each years figure. If I was using a calculator, I would do 100*1.03*1.03*1.03*1.03*1.03, if I was doing that for 5 years and then I want to store that value i a cell. I don't want any cells to have fixed values. My material of var. My percent is var. My number of years if var. Thanks! AlfD Wrote: > Hi! > > If you want to see each year's figure: > > Put 1995, 1996,..... across row 1 > In A2 put 100 > In B2 put =A2*1.03 > Copy across row 2. > Format the row as currency. > > Yo...

EARN $ 1,434,892.8 BY E-GOLD (GUARANTEED!!) All you need is 3 People You know #4
EARN $ 1,434,892.8 BY E-GOLD (GUARANTEED!!) All you need is 3 People You know Hello every body , im be glad to introduce one of the best MLM for every body who wants to explod his/her earning with very simple steps and incredible situation! JUST IMAGINE...... If you achieve only 10% success you will still make $ 143,489.28 If you achieve only 1% success you will still make $ 14,348.928 But If we trust to each other and be serious, reaching to $ 1,434,892.8 is not seem so far,just three or four weeks!! The whole works that you should do : 1) You should open an e-gold account ,th...

Need a Template for quoting costings i.e. flights,hotel,accommodat

Xml error: Namespace Manager or Xslt context needed
I am using VB.Net. My program is to connect to a remote IPAddress. Once, it verifies the login information it should display the SessionID and enable some button . I appreciate your help and thanku in advance When I run the pgm , I get the error: Can't parse login information. Namespace Manager or XsltContext needed. This query has a prefix, variable or userdefined function. I have added the Try-catch in all my functions. In ParseLoginResponse function, it catches the above exception. I am inclding all the functions I am using below: Private Function SendXmlRequest(ByRef xml As St...

convert number to month literal in excel
I am trying to convert numbers in an excel spreadsheet to their corresponding month name (eg. 6 to June). Is there a simple quick way to do this ? Hi =CHOOSE(A1,"January","February","March","April","May","June","July","August" ,"September","October","November","December") or TEXT(DATE(2000,A1,1),"mmmm") -- When sending mail, use address arvil<at>tarkon.ee Arvi Laanemets "peterell" <peterell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Formula for same numbers in Excel
Hi. I have 2 columns in Excel (C10:C200 and D10:D150) filled by numbers. How can I find how many numbers in column D (and if it is possible which) included also in the column C. I would like to apply a formula and not any shorting method. Thank you. In E10 =COUNTIF(C$10:C$200,D10) fill down to E200. HTH. Best wishes Harald "nikos" <nikos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E87A6EC1-B8B3-4A0E-B87D-52CE6BAD91DC@microsoft.com... > Hi. > > I have 2 columns in Excel (C10:C200 and D10:D150) filled by numbers. How > can > I find how many numb...

get a list of sequence number that meet 3 criteria 12-08-09
How do i set up excel to get a list of number of 5 that meet 3 criteria? for example: 2 23 39 41 51 thanks Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Dynamic Tooltips with ASP.NET & jQuery http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/d1ebcafd-c051-40e5-bb91-1554532ecf63/dynamic-tooltips-with-asp.aspx ...

Need to add a line with a value in addition to x & y axis
I am trying to create a chart in Excel as clustered columns with th following data (I have also attached a copy of my file from Exce 2002): Division 1 Division 2 Division 3 Division 4 Division 5 2002 18.60 3.49 5.14 8.52 3.75 2003 14.54 3.53 1.96 10.22 7.29 2004 3.50 1.77 0.00 7.28 3.71 The years are shown in the legend, the category axis (division names are at the bottom, and the value axis is on the side. There is also a industry standard that applies to all values (not by year) and I want t have a line that shows where this value is in relation to the yearl values for each division. I ...

Need help formatting text
I am using OE 6 to read newsgroups and I sometimes post articles that I find on the web, often copying and pasting articles into new messages. However, when I do this, it formats it in such a way that when I open my posts, the paragraphs are separated by at least 3 lines, rather than 1 line. I have tried adding an additional step of pasting articles as unformatted text in word before I paste them in a new message in OE. It seems that no matter what I do, however, I get this weird extra spacing between the paragraphs. Anyone have any idea how to solve this problem? -- Aloha, G-Ride &qu...

Help needed with Circular References
Hi, I am developing a Excel based solution and that requires circular reference in the formulas. However I am ok with setting the limit that each cell be calculated only once. My question is what the order of recalculating cells is. Is it row first starting from A1 or column first starting from A1 or is it the order of entering the cell formulas? Depending upon the order in which the cells are calculated results can change. For example, if the formulas in the cells A1 to A5 are as follows (value in the bracket indicates initial value when formula is entered): A1: A5+1 (1) A2: A1+1 ...

i Think I need some help with conditional formatting
I am a bit of a novice so please forgive me if this is a very basi posting. I have a number of columns and at the top of each there is date. I would like the whole of the cloumn to be shaded grey if tha date is either a Saturday or a Sunday. Any ideas?? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi if you want to aply this for example to the columns A:F try the following: - select column A:F - goto 'Format - Conditional Format' - enter the following formula =WEEKDAY(A$1,2)>=6 - choose your format -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I am a bit of a novice so...

Need RANK Function for Text
I need a function like RANK (which is for numbers), but only for text. The sort feature is not a function I can use in a formula. Rank permits me sort numerically but I want to sort alphabetically. I don’t see a function that does this and have tried a few options to do this with things like CODE but have been unsuccessful. Can you help, please. M Perhaps you need to post some ranked/unranked text and explain the logic for the rank -- Mike When competing hypotheses are equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answ...

Error Messae
All of a sudden I am getting the following message. Nothing happens when I click on Internet Explorer. The message is: 16 bit Window Subsystem NTVDM has encounterd a system error NTVDM has encountered a system error coh choose 'close to terminate the application What can I do? Any help is appreciated. Sue, This sounds like a Windows error and you have posted your question to the Microsoft Access newsgroup. I did find this article... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220155 ...that might help. If it doesn't you report to the Windows newsgroups and when you do post your Win...

Need help with Track Changes feature
I have a Shared workdook in Excel 2003. When I go to Tools/Track Changes/Highlight changes /OK....I could barely see the changes becuse the color is too light. How can I change the color so that the changes are more easily visible ...

Formatting Odd Number Strings
I have imported a text report into Excel. For some reason the date string on the text file reads as 20/05/0728. Is there a quick way to reformat the string so it reads 7/28/2005 or even 2005/07/28, for that matter. I really don't want to manually edit 300+ lines! Thanks. Assuming your fubared date is in column A, insert a new column immediately to the right of that, and enter this formula: =DATE(LEFT(A1,2)&MID(A1,4,2),MID(A1,7,2),RIGHT(A1,2)) This parses the existing text string into arguments used by the DATE function, which generates a date useable by Excel. What is the cell...

SMTP connector, do i really need one?
i only have 1 exchange server in my organization. why do i need an smtp connector? wouldnt the default virtual smtp server be enough to handle everything? as it stands now, the internet mail wizard created the default smtp connector, and set it to forward all mail to itself basically. i dont think the server needs to act as a bridgehead server for itself, am i right? im getting frequent errors in my logs relating to smtp and dns... however both my smtp and dns setups seem to be working fine. can i get rid of the smtp connector? The SMTP Virtual Server acts as an SMTP connector so you do not...