Need largest number

I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In the
next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have another
numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.

All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do is
find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of columns 1
and 2.

Example:
Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need formula)
12345     AA          1           5
12345     AA          1           5
12345     AA          2           5
98765     BA          2           2
98765     BA          1           2
12345     AA          5           5
98765     BA           2          2

Thank you.

Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
down...

=SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))

Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the largest
row number you ever expect to put data in.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In the
> next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have
> another
> numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.
>
> All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do is
> find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of columns
> 1
> and 2.
>
> Example:
> Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need
> formula)
> 12345     AA          1           5
> 12345     AA          1           5
> 12345     AA          2           5
> 98765     BA          2           2
> 98765     BA          1           2
> 12345     AA          5           5
> 98765     BA           2          2
>
> Thank you.

0
Rick
6/7/2010 5:23:57 PM
That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
> down...
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
>
> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the largest
> row number you ever expect to put data in.
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In the
> > next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have
> > another
> > numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.
> >
> > All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do is
> > find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of columns
> > 1
> > and 2.
> >
> > Example:
> > Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need
> > formula)
> > 12345     AA          1           5
> > 12345     AA          1           5
> > 12345     AA          2           5
> > 98765     BA          2           2
> > 98765     BA          1           2
> > 12345     AA          5           5
> > 98765     BA           2          2
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> .

The formula works here for the data you provided to us, so I have to ask to
be sure... did you copy/paste my formula into your worksheet or did you
attempt to type it longhand (possibly introducing a typing error in the
process)? If you copy/pasted it, then I have to conclude your data is
different in some way from what you posted. Again, if you copy/pasted the
formula in and it is not working, then you can send me your workbook and
I'll see if I can spot what the problem is. If you do send it to me, make
sure to remove the NO.SPAM stuff from my address.

--

> That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE
>
> "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
>
>> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
>> down...
>>
>> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
>>
>> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the
>> largest
>> row number you ever expect to put data in.
>>
>> --
>> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>>

>> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a file in Excel 2003.  In 1 column I have a numeric field.  In
>> > the
>> > next column I have a 2 digit apha field.  In the third column I have
>> > another
>> > numeric field.  For each row I need a formula in the 4th column.
>> >
>> > All columns can have duplicate numbers/characters.  What I need to do
>> > is
>> > find the largest number if column 3 for the unique combination of
>> > columns
>> > 1
>> > and 2.
>> >
>> > Example:
>> > Col A      Col B      Col C      Col D (to be reult is shown - need
>> > formula)
>> > 12345     AA          1           5
>> > 12345     AA          1           5
>> > 12345     AA          2           5
>> > 98765     BA          2           2
>> > 98765     BA          1           2
>> > 12345     AA          5           5
>> > 98765     BA           2          2
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>>
>> .

0
Rick
6/7/2010 7:33:00 PM
Sorry about that.  User error.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> The formula works here for the data you provided to us, so I have to ask to
> be sure... did you copy/paste my formula into your worksheet or did you
> attempt to type it longhand (possibly introducing a typing error in the
> process)? If you copy/pasted it, then I have to conclude your data is
> different in some way from what you posted. Again, if you copy/pasted the
> formula in and it is not working, then you can send me your workbook and
> I'll see if I can spot what the problem is. If you do send it to me, make
> sure to remove the NO.SPAM stuff from my address.
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE
> >
> > "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
> >> down...
> >>
> >> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
> >>
> >> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the
> >> largest
> >> row number you ever expect to put data in.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rick (MVP - Excel)
> >>

> >> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>
> .

Rick,

I sent you the file in hopes you can help again.  It doesn't seem to work in
the actual file although it works in the test file of the sample I gave.
THanks.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> The formula works here for the data you provided to us, so I have to ask to
> be sure... did you copy/paste my formula into your worksheet or did you
> attempt to type it longhand (possibly introducing a typing error in the
> process)? If you copy/pasted it, then I have to conclude your data is
> different in some way from what you posted. Again, if you copy/pasted the
> formula in and it is not working, then you can send me your workbook and
> I'll see if I can spot what the problem is. If you do send it to me, make
> sure to remove the NO.SPAM stuff from my address.
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That's not working.  I get the result #VALUE
> >
> > "Rick Rothstein" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming your data starts in Row 1, put this formula in D1 and copy it
> >> down...
> >>
> >> =SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A$1:A$1000&B$1:B$1000=A1&B1)*C$1:C$1000))
> >>
> >> Change all the 1000's to a row number that will be larger than the
> >> largest
> >> row number you ever expect to put data in.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rick (MVP - Excel)
> >>

> >> "Nadine" <Nadine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> .
> >>
> .

Newbi needs a very small help, thank you very much.
Newbi needs a very small help, thank you very much. Hello everyone and thank you very much for your time. I Have a small db for invoicing and on my form (with a subform) there is a CANCEL button which will just cancel what had been selected or entered in the form ... here is the code behind the cancel button... Private Sub Cancel_Click() Me![BillsFormSub].Form.Refresh DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 8, , acMenuVer70 DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 6, , acMenuVer70 DoCmd.SetWarnings True Exit_Cancel_Click: Exit Sub End Sub This was working ...

Why does Money hide my account numbers?
I am trying to review my credit report and there is one item on there that doesn't look right, and must be at least 6 years old. My credit reporting agency shows me all but the last 4 digits of the account. Money, on the other hand, shows me only the last 4 digits. Worthless. I can understand if some people are paranoid and don't want someone looking over their shoulder at account numbers, but if that is the case, make everything XXXXX on the screen because they can see your balances too! Is anyone really served by this decision the Money team made? Oh well, back to opening each clos...

I need the "Program Action" used to open EML files in OE...
The new SpamKiller doesn't work quite right many times and it saves "Blocked" EML files on my hard drive but doesn't always "Rescue" them properly. So, when I click on the EML file it opens in Outlook Express. To fix that I changed the "Application used to perform action" under Explorer | Tools | File Types | EML to point to Outlook instead of Outlook Express. Of course, I found out that doesn't work. So I changed it back to what I thought it was but apparently I was wrong and now clicking on an EML file opens Outlook Express but doesn't open th...

Problems with Numbering
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi <br><br>I am having a problem with paragraph numbering. My work insists that documents are presented in a specific format and I have successfully customised an outline number format that is to the exact spec that I need. Generally it works fine and all paragraphs and sub paras number as advertised. <br><br>But, and here's my problem, sometimes a document just won't continue to number in the manner I want. I always write the words of the text first and then do all the form...

Tracking Numbers for shipped orders
Is there any way to easily look up the tracking number for a person's order? We lookup the person's name then 'purchase history' tab...that is the place I want to see the tracking number so I can track the package. Is there somewhere else I can see it besides the "journal" which is useless or the shipping report which is a completely additional step (time waster) and doesn't allow you to track. The "track shipping" button in POS screen doesn't show any of our UPS shipments. Besides, that is not where a customer service person would go to look ...

Add Page Numbers to PDF
I am looking to progammatically add page numbers to a PDF using VBA. I create a multi-page PDF using various Excel reports. The PDF then needs to be numbered sequentially. I have been able to research and find code to add a watermark to the PDF, but, no luck on page numbering. I am using Excel 2007 and Acrobat 9. Code Example: Sub WatermarkPDF() Dim bolResult As Boolean Dim pdfDoc1 As AcroPDDoc Dim jsObj As Object Set pdfDoc1 = CreateObject("AcroExch.PDDoc") If pdfDoc1.Open("C:\Test\Ranges\Reports\Custom_Merged.pdf") Then ...

I need template for a ticket booklet
I am trying to produce a ticket/coupon book about the size of a business card for my hang gliding business. My thoughts are to use actual business card stock as the front and back cover and regular bond paper for the serial numbered tickets. Has anybody tried to do something like this? I am looking for some assistance as a new publisher user. I think you've come up with a clever idea if you plan to use the card stock side margin as the area to staple ten or so cards to make a booklet. But you want to serial number the cards. Look in help about merging. It'll probably talk ...

SUM of Numbers with colons (:) such as Hours & Minutes
Does anyone know how to get the SUM of a column with numbers formated as Time (hh:mm) useing the SUM formula to get the total numbers of hours in that column. For example: Day-1 10:45 Day-2 11:05 Day-3 09:10 Total 31:00 Help is very appreciated. Wally Hi Wally for your formula use =SUM(B1:B3)*24 and format it as a number (format / cells - number) Cheers JulieD "CLARKSON PHARMACY" <CLARKSON.PHARMACY@VERIZON.NET> wrote in message news:XaCZd.3302$ed6.530@trndny06... > Does anyone know how to get the SUM of a column with numbers formated as...

Formula help needed
Can someone help me to shorten this formula, it slows down my computer so it takes ages to recalculate the sheet when I enter something in it. It is used to calculate time, basic formula (A2-A1+(A2<A1)) from C Pearsson�s site OFFSET(INDEX(Tid3;MATCH(A8&1;Feb!$A$9:$A$250&Feb!$B$9:$B$250;0);MATCH(Feb!$C $8;Feb!$A$8:$D$8;0);1);1;0)-INDEX(Tid3;MATCH(A8&1;Feb!$A$9:$A$250&Feb!$B$9:$ B$250;0);MATCH(Feb!$C$8;Feb!$A$8:$D$8;0);1)+(OFFSET(MATCH(Tid3;PASSA(A8&1;Fe b!$A$9:$A$250&Feb!$B$9:$B$250;0);MATCH(Feb!$C$8;Feb!$A$8:$D$8;0);1);1;0)<IND EX(Tid3;MATCH(A8&1;Feb!$A$9:$A$...

Auto Numbering for Contacts and Accounts
We need a way to auto number Contacts, Accounts, and Opportunity (similiar to how quotes, orders, cases, etc..work). Has anyone come across a way to do this through the use of Jscript or any other means? Thanks! You can write a Callout for Autonumbering. Refer to the SDK help for details on Callouts. There's an auto-numbering sample in the SDK too. HTH, Niths "MDV1457" wrote: > We need a way to auto number Contacts, Accounts, and Opportunity (similiar to > how quotes, orders, cases, etc..work). Has anyone come across a way to do > this through the use of Js...

"How does Money Get These Numbers?"
Hi! I know that there's a link to a rather vague answer for the above question in Microsoft Money, when it comes to how Money calculates existing data to crunch trended/budgeted items or spread a trended budget item across the cash forecast graph. The help entry shrugs it off like "Money uses your existing data." Duh. Does anyone have ideas of EXACTLY how Money totals and divides your existing budget items to create a budget entry? Does it add the value up and total by the number of months you've recorded? (My experiments don't line up close enough for me to be sure that...

Need to reduce the both priv's edb & stm
My priv.edb = 28gig the priv.stm = 15gig I'm concerned about the managing the size of such a large database. I have recently cleaned up mailboxes and is reflected in the systems managment utility with in Exchange. In some cases a users mailbox exceeded 6gig. Now in the systems management utility the numbers are more in line, resonable size, however when I check the file size of both priv's (DOS) there're still the same size before I started the cleanup process. I assumed the automatic process which Exchange runs everynight would reduce the size. In the app log file from ...

I need a shortcut to make a excel file open to a specific sheet
I need to know how to modify an excel shortcut to make a file always open to a specific named "intro" sheet. You can use a macro: http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=338 ************ Anne Troy VBA Project Manager www.OfficeArticles.com "EAHRENS" <EAHRENS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CEF8135-5F57-400F-B5AF-9A11396110A8@microsoft.com... >I need to know how to modify an excel shortcut to make a file always open >to > a specific named "intro" sheet. Try doing it within the files workbook_open event in the ThisWork...

I need a simple sample about the usage of CSocket
I want to develop a programme to send and receive files between two PCs, they link through internet, but I can't find a simple sample to know the program sequence of the usage of CSocket and the usage of the CSocket member functions. I really appriciate if you can show me a example to help me overcome the difficulty. Thank you very much! dongfeng ...

Linking customer number format to a cell
Is it possible to link a custom number format to a cell within a workbook? Currently I have the number format #,##0.0"m (forecast)";(#,##0.0)"m (forecast)";-"m (forecast)" used extensively throughout a workbook I want to change the text after each number to "m (actual)". I will be changing the text on a monthly basis. Currently I have to manually change the format each month. Not that I know, but if you use styles, as in Word, you could do this in one step as opposed to changing every single cell. -- Regards, Juan Pablo Gonz�lez Excel MVP &quo...

Need help! Please....formatting?
I have a list of music that I have imported from I-tunes. The info includes the BPM's (beats per minute). The C Column which has the #'s representing the BPM's.....I would like format it in ascending order. Lowest BPM to the Highest. Can I do this and how? Any help would be appreciated. Chris Hi, Assuming you have one header row, select all cells (Ctrl + A), got Data --> Sort, select Column C (or data heading), ensure Ascending i selected, press Ok. HT -- firefyt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- firefytr's Profile: http:...

Counting the total number of cells with specified condition(freque
Hi, Can anyone pls tell me how do i count the total number of cells that has a certain word appear twice or nth times in a column? The below-mentioned will be the end result. The frequency will be specified by the user and excel will count the number of cells that has a certain word appearing twice in a column. Likewise, for Freqeuncy 3, sums the number of cells with that has a certain word in a string that appears thrice in the column. Frequency(input) Number of occurences(output) 2 10 3 \30 ...

Help, need 64-bit disk or advice . . .
Greetings all, I attended a Microsoft event, and received a free copy of Windows Vista Ultimate Not For Resale. I had to visit a Microsoft site to obtain my key. The key is good for both 32-bit and 64-bit installs. I have the key, and I have the 32-bit install DVD. But I did not install the Vista 32-bit version on my machine. I installed a 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate using my provided key. All worked well for many months. But then my system started acting up. Games would not remember where they lift off, and Texas Hold'em quite working entirely. And when SP2 came along a...

ID inquiry about numbers in column A
Hi, I have 6000 id numbers in column A and I have had to delete some rows due to duplication. This now means those numbers which were in order 1 to 6000 now have numbers missing. How can I patch them up so that they are once again flowing from 1 to whatever. Thanks rock See other post. -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message news:uNXC%234iIKHA.1020@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have 6000 id numbers in column A and I have had to delete some rows due > to duplication. > > This now means those n...

Page Numbers #3
Is there a way to get page numbers in a workbook to run consecutively from one sheet to the next? If you select multiple sheets, then print, Excel will consecutively # the pages. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to get page numbers in a workbook to run >consecutively from one sheet to the next? >. > If I understand correctly, you can do this in the header/footer . You can insert the function and it will automatically number your pages. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to get page numbers in a workbook to run >consecutively from one sheet ...

i need to create a chart from data from one workbook in another wo
hi new to excell so please be kind. i need to create a series of charts from different sets of data in one workbook, and have the charts show in another seperate workbook, and update automaticly when the data changes in the first workbook. i know how to create charts, its just that i can't get it linking from one workbook to another please help Mark Hi, An easy approach would be: Make the charts in the workbook containing the data. Cut and paste those charts into a new workbook. The charts are still linked to the original workbook. If you make changes in the data, the charts...

Urgent Problem with Number Column
I am new to EXCEL 2003, and I have this problem, so if you can give me an answer, please explain in easy English. I have a column with consecutive numbers that I use to sort with (1 to 8000). However, for some reason some of the numbers have ended up with decimal points, others are facing left, and still others are aligned to the right. I want to format the entire column so the numbers are just that, numbers, so I can sort and resort this column. How do I do this? Select the column, Format/Cells/Number tag, choose number! Stefi "Rebecca" wrote: > I am new to EXCEL 20...

I need to enable journaling on my Exchange 2007 server
I need to enable journaling on my Exchange 2007 server. I have not done this before. I found the following and it is good information but I still had a few questions: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/12/journaling/default.aspx It seems that this journal mailbox could really grow. What have some of you found is the best way to manage this mailbox? Any other information or suggested added processes or concerns I should know about? Thanks! On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:36:01 -0700, D303M <D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to enable journ...

Need a report to print fields in Excel in a certain order
I've got a client that needs the data we collect to show up in a certain order in an excel speadsheet. Instead of my having to rewrite and reorganized the form that the data is collected I'd like to know if there's a way for me to export the data in the order they want to see it. Can this be done using the report tab from access? and if it can how do I go about to do it? Just to let you know I'm not that experienced in programming and stuff so I'll need step by step directions. Thanks for your help in advance. Ace MJ Waldor -- Your One Stop Public Reco...

DISTINCT ROW help needed
I have a code in the OnCurrent of a form that inserts the ID of the company for that record into a table. The purpose of that table (LastVisitedRecord) is a history of sorts. On that form, I have a combo box that uses the following sql as row source - SELECT DISTINCTROW ProspectTable.Company FROM ProspectTable INNER JOIN LastVisitedRecord ON ProspectTable.ID = LastVisitedRecord.lvCompanyID ORDER BY LastVisitedRecord.lvID DESC; The problem is, if i visit company Acme, Inc. a second time, it still shows the first instance (at the bottom of the list) and I want it to show the last instance as t...