Modify data on a hidden sheet?

Some of my sheets have been marked as "xlVeryHidden".
These sheets contain data that I do not want users to be
able to modify.

If a user knows the codename or tab name of any of
these hidden sheets, could they actually be able to
modify data on that sheet in any way??  Can they enter
a formula onto a visible sheet that references a hidden
sheet to change the data??

thank you!

0
Robert

Formulas on a visible sheet cannot alter anything on another sheet or
anywhere for that matter.

Formulas return values to the cell in which they are written.

Back to first question...............

Yes, through VBA a user could alter values on a hidden sheet if they knew
the tab name or codename of that sheet.

Or they could run VBA to unhide the sheet and change everything on it.

Or even delete it.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:21:31 -0700, "Robert Crandal" <nobody@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Some of my sheets have been marked as "xlVeryHidden".
>These sheets contain data that I do not want users to be
>able to modify.
>
>If a user knows the codename or tab name of any of
>these hidden sheets, could they actually be able to
>modify data on that sheet in any way??  Can they enter
>a formula onto a visible sheet that references a hidden
>sheet to change the data??
>
>thank you!

0
Gord
2/12/2010 10:50:31 PM
What if my VBA project is password protected so they cannot
access any of the code modules???  Will that help??

What are a few ways I can prevent anyone from modifying
data on a hidden sheet???   I need to cover my bases as much
as possible.

thank u

> Yes, through VBA a user could alter values on a hidden sheet if they knew
> the tab name or codename of that sheet.
>
> Or they could run VBA to unhide the sheet and change everything on it.
>
> Or even delete it.

0
Robert
2/12/2010 11:02:26 PM
See in-line

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:02:26 -0700, "Robert Crandal" <nobody@gmail.com>
wrote:

>What if my VBA project is password protected so they cannot
>access any of the code modules???  Will that help??

Not much.  I'll just run code from another workbook to access your hidden
sheets if I know the names.

>What are a few ways I can prevent anyone from modifying
>data on a hidden sheet???   I need to cover my bases as much
>as possible.

Since you're dealing with Excel's relatively weak internal security you
would be hard-pressed to cover all bases.

How sophisticated are your snoopy users and how much time and effort are
they willing to expend?

If the hidden worksheets were protected.....all cells locked and unprotect
password set, users would have to know password to alter cells even if they
could unhide the sheets.

But easy enough to crack sheet passwords.

If the workbook structure was protected with a password, hidden sheets could
not be unhidden through code.

But easy enough to crack workbook protection passwords.

I am assuming the hidden sheets' cells are referenced by the visible sheets
so simply removing those sheets is not an option.

Gord

>thank u
>

>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>>
>> Yes, through VBA a user could alter values on a hidden sheet if they knew
>> the tab name or codename of that sheet.
>>
>> Or they could run VBA to unhide the sheet and change everything on it.
>>
>> Or even delete it.

0
Gord
2/13/2010 12:58:41 AM
Lock all the cells on the worksheet and protect the worksheet.  But even that
won't stop people who are really interested.

The hidden-ness of the worksheet doesn't really offer any more
protection--except that it's out of sight, so it may be out of mind.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Sub AAA()
	Dim WS As Worksheet
	For Each WS In Workbooks("YourWorkbook.xls").Worksheets
		Debug.Print WS.Name
	Next WS
End Sub

to list all the sheets, regardless of whether they are visible,
hidden, or very  hidden.  You can protect the structure of the
workbook, but there are plenty of ways to get around that.

The bottom line is that Excel security sucks. It is good enough to
prevent the honest user from making an honest mistake, but it isn't
good enough for anything more than that.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
[email on web site]

<nobody@gmail.com> wrote:

>What if my VBA project is password protected so they cannot
>access any of the code modules???  Will that help??
>
>What are a few ways I can prevent anyone from modifying
>data on a hidden sheet???   I need to cover my bases as much
>as possible.
>
>thank u
>

>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>>
>> Yes, through VBA a user could alter values on a hidden sheet if they knew
>> the tab name or codename of that sheet.
>>
>> Or they could run VBA to unhide the sheet and change everything on it.
>>
>> Or even delete it.

0
Chip

Font size in data validation drop down lists
I am using data validation lists to control user inputs to a spread sheet. How do I change the font size inside the drop down list? I have tried changing the font size on the sheet itself & changing the font size on the list page. I can't seem to find a property setting for this font size. The only way to make it appear larger is to zoom in on the page. In a data validation dropdown list, you can't change the font size. There are a couple of programming workarounds here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font Ryan wrote: > I am using data validation lis...

Modify scale in X axis on a scatter plot from Pivot data
I need to increase the gap between my labels on the X axis in a scatter plot. They are too close and I can not read the labels unless i make them 4pt and zoom in to 200%. There are about 200 points on the X axis at .2 increments. I would like to be able to have labels for whole numbers only. I can not use a fixed set of values by generating a dummy X-axis since the range changes as I apply the different filters. Any ideas? thanks! Sandy Pivot charts don't let you change the spacing of the categories. They also don't let you make an XY (scatter) chart, so you probably have ...

Why wont Word open Excel data source in mailmerge?
I am following the Help step by step, but each time i try to open data source it wont. I have saved the correct version in Excel and have renamed it etc MOSH "won't" means what? Do you get an error message? You cannot browse to an Excel file and use it? You have no ODBC driver for Excel? If the latter, you may have to re-configure and add that driver. Go to Control Panel(Start>Settings>Control Panel) and double-click on Data Sources(ODBC). In User DSN what do you see for drivers? If no Excel, click on Add and find Excel on the list(not Excel do). Select and "...

Hard-code source data
Is there any method other than using Dynamic Names/OFFSET to force a chart to always use specific columns and rows, regardless of whether or not new ones are added. We have multiple spreadsheets that track monthly metrics. Each month a new column is added representing a new month of data. I always want to show columns B-M to refelct the past twelve months. Currently when I add a new column representing a new month,the charts dymanically change to show columns C-N and I have to change over 20 charts back to B-M. Thanks! Melanie Martin Melanie - The way to handle this is with dynami...

Pivot Table Data Source, point to cell?
Is there any way to point the data source block to a cell. I want to simply update a cell (i.e. A1) with the range instead having to open the pivot table and changing from the wizard. Is there a way to do this? Example: Cell A1 contains: '[Output 3.24.xls]FORMALS-OUT'!$A$5:$P$65536 Data source in pivot table points to cell A1 to get the range. please tell me there's a way to do this.... thanx.! hi, Jeremy ! > Is there any way to point the data source block to a cell. > I want to simply update a cell (i.e. A1) with the range instead having to open the pivot table >...

Printing reports with no data
Actually the title of this question is a little misleading, sorry. This should be fairly simple. I run 5 different reports for 2 different shifts based on certain product catagories that were produced the previous day. Sometimes there is data for those reports and sometimes not. Instead of the report opening in preview, I would rather just have a MsgBox pop up that says there's nothing to report. Other than date and shift information, I'm pulling up the product SKU, description of the product, start and end time, qty and so on. please help! Thanks Bill R. -- John 3:16 "Fo...

data validation fonts differ in drop down box
I am using Excel 2003. I have a group of cells with a data validation "list". That list contains 3 options -- check mark, "X", and "box" -- in Webdings. When you click the drop down box to make a selection the options are in alpha-numeric characters (Arial font(?)) and not Webdings. So my "check mark" becomes an "a" and my "X" becomes an "r". How can I get the drop down box to display the same font as the one in the list? Both the drop down box cells and the "list" cells are formatted with the...

Macro required to copy -past data to first empty row
Hi Expert, I am in need of such a macro or code by which I can copy & paste data from a particular row to first empty row of given row range. Kindly help. Regards, Vikky Hi Vikky See http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy1.htm Or if you want to find the row number of the last cell with data in a range see http://www.rondebruin.nl/last.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Vikky" <love.excel@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1174498666.568772.117750@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi Expert, > > I am in need of such a macro or code by ...

Formula to copy related information from sheet 1 to sheet 2
Hello guys, I hope you'll can help me. i have the information below in sheet 1. i need the information to be filtered, copy and paste in sheet 2 according to the month. example. if october, i need all information for the month of october to be copy and past from column A, B, C sheet 1 to column A, B, C sheet 2 please help. A B C Serial Number Quantities (Kilos) Date 8.1122 539,470 22/10/2009 8.1122 403,697 22/10/2009 8.1122 643,710 05/11/2009 8.1122...

Querying Data from Access
All, I am using the charting features in Excel 2007 to build various charts from data stored in Access. I want the user to be able to select the Region, Country, or Site that he wishes to see data for, along with a range of dates. I have queries in Access that will summarize the data the way I need it. What I would like to know, is how do I "paramaterize" the queries so that I can use the dates the user chooses, for example? Thanks, Steve Here is a good example from EXCEL VBA 2003. for I think what you're wanting Public Sub CallStoredProcedure() Const Co...

Excel sheet size
Is it possible to increase the maximum number of rows beyond ~65536? Sorry, no. -- Andy. "Z" <Z@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A494BD24-2A2D-48C8-A5CB-614BAEF2621E@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to increase the maximum number of rows beyond ~65536? No but there are ways to work around it "Z" <Z@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A494BD24-2A2D-48C8-A5CB-614BAEF2621E@microsoft.com... : Is it possible to increase the maximum number of rows beyond ~65536? ...

Time formulae
Hi I use these formulae to insert the date and time in separate cells on a worksheet : A14 =TODAY() B14 =NOW()-TODAY() They update automatically when I open the sheet. It would be better however if they didn't do this until I use the Refresh All function. Is it possible to stop these functions updating until I need them to do so? I know I can switch global options off in the Options section of the program , but I'm loathe to do this for the sake of this one sheet. Grateful for any advice. ...

Requesting data from the Microsoft Exchange Server
Requesting data from the Microsoft Exchange Server My OutlookXP is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server "Server". You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Why is this happening? Thank you. Normally causes by a slow network or a busy Exchange server. The client is waiting for a response from the server and either it is busy with another task or the network is slow. When it connects and gets the data, the message goes away. It is just there to inform users it is actua...

Sorting specific data
X-No-Archive: yes I need help to sort the contents of a cell. Cell A1= 01201 I wish to sort the numbers in A1 into descending numerical order. The result should be =21100 What is the simplest formula that I can use to achieve this? I would like to learn how to do this. Thamks On 10 Jun 2005 03:56:44 -0700, virfir97@yahoo.com wrote: >X-No-Archive: yes > >I need help to sort the contents of a cell. >Cell A1= 01201 > >I wish to sort the numbers in A1 into descending numerical order. The >result should be =21100 > >What is the simplest formula that I can use to ac...

Repeat data from previous records in a form
I am creating a a form for data entry and want to know if there is a way to repeat data in fields from the previous record (or default to previous record). For example, I user has 100 entries - I would like to set up the form so they do not have to enter their ID each time they enter a record. When you hold the ctrl key and click the apostrophe key ' access copies the contents of the same field from the previous record. This assumes that the new record immediately follows the old record so you may have to sort the source table and requery it after each time a new record is inserted...

Outlook 2007 stops acquiring data from Exchange
A week ago I noticed that Outlook 2007 on an old desktop in a guest room no longer was downloading any data from the Exchange server at work. I have tried absolutely everything I can think of but nothing seems to change this. Meanwhile, three other computers at home (we have a site-license arrangement which allows us to use Office on our home computers) with Outlook 2007 are having no problems at all with my Outlook account. Here is what I have tried so far: 1. Deleting the .ost file. Outlook acquires a few thousand kilobytes of data and then simply stops. The last entry in event viewer is an...

Displaying hidden data on a chart
I have a number of data series in a table on sheet 1, and this data is plotted as an x-y scatter in a chart on sheet 2. I want to hide a column in the table, but when i do this the related data series disappears from the chart. Is there a way to hide a column whilst still having it plotted on the chart? At the moment I have just set the column width to 1 pixel, which is a bit messy. Thanks Hi, Yes, select the chart and then via the menu Toosl > Options > Chart. unchecked the Plot visible cells only. Cheers Andy Nick Terry wrote: > I have a number of data series in a tabl...

Office 97 to 2003: Excel: enter data w/fixed 2 decimal. 2000. be.
When I enter number "2000." I get 20.00 - yes, set decimals at 2 but earlier excel would accept change if you entered decimal with number. this is slowing down a budget prep and I'd sure like some help - online and tutorials say "enter decimal" but this is not working. what am I doing wrong? Hi Confirmed, until v ersion XP you could finish off with a decimal separator. This behavior changed with Excel 2003, I haven't seen any documentation on the reasons. "Enter decimal" is like 2000.0 which is just as many keystrokes as 200000 but slower. If you d...

Data migration strategy from custom MSSQL-based app to CRM 4.0
Hello, We have a client looking to transition to CRM 4.0 from their current home-grown application based on SQL Server 2005. I am curious to get suggestions from the group on how to approach this. Here is one approach I am considering: 1. Create denormalized views in SQL (picklist values included instead of PK/FK keys) 2. Script queries to these views that send query results to a CSV file 3. Create data mappings in DMF to perform mass import 4. Run import with fingers crossed One requirement to note is the client is not looking for a staged migration - everything must be brought over at...

How to store jpg in a database for use in another sheet #3
Can somebody please explain me how to store jpg's in a database and le them show in another sheet when entering a specific key -- Marc Willems ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Marc Willemse's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=164 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187045633 ...

copy data into comments?
How can you copy data from a cell to the comment of another cell? -- Richard Northern California Be Nice to Everyone Everyday I don't think you can do this in a comment, but I good be wrong(I hope) All you want to know about Comments you can find here http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments01.html -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Richard Miller" <miller49@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:bg615b$uvj$1@slb9.atl.mindspring.net... > How can you copy data from a cell to the comment of another cell? > > -- > Rich...

Money 2004 unable to import Quicken 2004 data
I have Quicken 2004 insalled and downloade the MS Money trial and trie to impotr my Quicken 2004 data but got message syaing htere were unknown transation ytpes and none of the data gets imported. Does Modey suppotr conversion from Q2004? I have the very same issue here. Money reports a successful transfer but the accounts have zero balances and no transactions. I also tried the export from Quicken and then an import to Money-- Same results. I'm hoping to get it ironed out as I've used Quicken for years but the 2004 edition sux. "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.micr...

Import Purchase Order data to HQ
We have some stores and we place purchase orders in HQ system for every store. Now purchase order data is in a excel file and We need import PO data from it in HQ system. How can I do it? Thanks. Jerry wrote: > We have some stores and we place purchase orders in HQ system for every > store. Now purchase order data is in a excel file and We need import PO data > from it in HQ system. How can I do it? > Thanks. or qsimport or custom-process (for complete automation-system) bye antonio hi,antonio Thanks for your reply. You said custom-process mean customize a process myself...

excel-i want it to go to a certain cell when i 1st open the sheet
when i open a spreadsheet that i created, how do i get the cursor to go to the cell i want it to.. in this spreadsheet i will have to enter information in different columns and i want it to automatically go to the first cell under the first column. how can i do this? Hi Lindsey, I can think of two options off the top of my head: 1) Go to the cell, save and close. The next time you open the workbook, the active cell will be the same cell. 2) Use Excel Events. This requires programming Excel using VBA and when done properly can be extremely useful !!! The desired cell will always be t...

How to..use worksheet form and save data to an Excel list
I'm using Excel 2003. Is is possible to create a worksheet form where the user enters data, saves the data and the data is then saved to the last row in an Excel list? Once the data is saved by the end user, I would like the form to refresh so that the end user can continue entering additional data. Does anyone know of any documentation or examples I could review regarding the above as I have never done this before? TIA. Maybe just Data|Form would be sufficient. If that doesn't fit your needs, look at John Walkenbach's enhanced data form: http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform...