List box value returns the row number of the list box range row

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have a list box set up on a worksheet and I want the user to select a
value from the list box, and then have that value entered into a cell when a
button is clicked.

When I run/step through the macro, it takes a value and places it into the
appropriate cell.  The problem is that the value which is placed in the cell
is not the value from the listbox, but the row number of the value that was
chosen.  Using the below row numbers and values as an example; if I select
value 7 from the list box, the value that is returned is 2, not 7.  If I
select 9A, the value returned is 4.  The listbox value range is on different
worksheet than the worksheet where I want to place the listbox value.  The
listbox range is currently one column with about 200 rows.

Worksheet Row Number         Value
1                                             6
2                                             7
3                                             8
4                                             9A
5                                             10B

The condensed version of the code (excluding how I choose the cell) is:

Dim listvalue As String
Dim rowcounter As Integer
Dim EOBpointer As Range

Worksheets("Timer").Activate
ActiveSheet.Shapes("List Box 8").Select

rowcounter = 35

listvalue = Selection.Value

Set EOBpointer = Range("c" & rowcounter)
EOBpointer.Select
Selection.Value = listvalue

You are either doing some other strange stuff that is not needed, or i don't
understand what the heck you are doing, but changing
listvalue = Selection.Value
listvalue = ListBox1.Value
i think will solve your issue. You are selecting an object and then asking
for its value, the object has no value. Alternatively you could just say
Range("c" & rowcounter)=ListBox1.Value

--
-John http://www.jmbundy.blogspot.com/
is helpful.

"Tim at MBS" wrote:

> Hi, I was hoping someone could help me figure out what I am doing wrong.
>
> I have a list box set up on a worksheet and I want the user to select a
> value from the list box, and then have that value entered into a cell when a
> button is clicked.
>
> When I run/step through the macro, it takes a value and places it into the
> appropriate cell.  The problem is that the value which is placed in the cell
> is not the value from the listbox, but the row number of the value that was
> chosen.  Using the below row numbers and values as an example; if I select
> value 7 from the list box, the value that is returned is 2, not 7.  If I
> select 9A, the value returned is 4.  The listbox value range is on different
> worksheet than the worksheet where I want to place the listbox value.  The
> listbox range is currently one column with about 200 rows.
>
> Worksheet Row Number         Value
> 1                                             6
> 2                                             7
> 3                                             8
> 4                                             9A
> 5                                             10B
>
> The condensed version of the code (excluding how I choose the cell) is:
>
> Dim listvalue As String
> Dim rowcounter As Integer
> Dim EOBpointer As Range
>
> Worksheets("Timer").Activate
> ActiveSheet.Shapes("List Box 8").Select
>
> rowcounter = 35
>
> listvalue = Selection.Value
>
> Set EOBpointer = Range("c" & rowcounter)
> EOBpointer.Select
> Selection.Value = listvalue
There are two listboxes you can place on a worksheet.

The first is from the Forms toolbar.  Its value is an index into its list.

The second is from the Control toolbox toolbar.  Its value is the value you see
in the listbox.

If your listbox (either type) is a single selection, then you don't need to use
a macro to get the value.

If the listbox is from the forms toolbar:
rightclick on the listbox
Choose Format Control
Then on the Control tab, you can assign a cell link (say A1).

Then in B1 (the second cell), you can use that value/index in A1 to retrieve the
value from the list:

=if(a1=0,"",index(sheet2!a1:a11,a1)
where your list is on sheet2 in cells A1:A11

If your listbox is from the control toolbox toolbar, you can just go into design
mode (another icon on that toolbar) and then

rightclick on the listbox
Choose Properties
Scroll down to LinkedCell and type in the address of the cell you want to use.

If your listbox (either type) is multiselect, then this won't work and you will
need code.

=========
It sounds like you're using the listbox from the Forms toolbar.

If you have to use code (as part of a bigger routine), then you could use:

dim myLB8Val as string
with worksheets("timer")
   with .listboxes("list box 8")
      if .listindex = 0 then
         mylb8val = "" 'not chosen
      else
         mylb8val = .list(.listindex)
      end if
   end with
end with

msgbox mylb8val

--

Dave Peterson
0

When I tried to change the code to what you suggested:
listvalue = ListBox8.Value

I got an (Object Required 424) error.  As far as I can tell, I have changed
the name of the list box to ListBox8.

I even tried using: Set listvalue = ListBox8.Value, but still got the same
error.

Any ideas?

"John Bundy" wrote:

> You are either doing some other strange stuff that is not needed, or i don't
> understand what the heck you are doing, but changing
> listvalue = Selection.Value
> listvalue = ListBox1.Value
> i think will solve your issue. You are selecting an object and then asking
> for its value, the object has no value. Alternatively you could just say
> Range("c" & rowcounter)=ListBox1.Value
>
> --
> -John http://www.jmbundy.blogspot.com/
> Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know what
> is helpful.
>

> "Tim at MBS" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I was hoping someone could help me figure out what I am doing wrong.
> >
> > I have a list box set up on a worksheet and I want the user to select a
> > value from the list box, and then have that value entered into a cell when a
> > button is clicked.
> >
> > When I run/step through the macro, it takes a value and places it into the
> > appropriate cell.  The problem is that the value which is placed in the cell
> > is not the value from the listbox, but the row number of the value that was
> > chosen.  Using the below row numbers and values as an example; if I select
> > value 7 from the list box, the value that is returned is 2, not 7.  If I
> > select 9A, the value returned is 4.  The listbox value range is on different
> > worksheet than the worksheet where I want to place the listbox value.  The
> > listbox range is currently one column with about 200 rows.
> >
> > Worksheet Row Number         Value
> > 1                                             6
> > 2                                             7
> > 3                                             8
> > 4                                             9A
> > 5                                             10B
> >
> > The condensed version of the code (excluding how I choose the cell) is:
> >
> > Dim listvalue As String
> > Dim rowcounter As Integer
> > Dim EOBpointer As Range
> >
> > Worksheets("Timer").Activate
> > ActiveSheet.Shapes("List Box 8").Select
> >
> > rowcounter = 35
> >
> > listvalue = Selection.Value
> >
> > Set EOBpointer = Range("c" & rowcounter)
> > EOBpointer.Select
> > Selection.Value = listvalue
Thanks Dave,
I did use the form control list box.  I'll try to see if I can use the code
you sent, but I don't need a msgbox with the value.  I need to put the value
in the cell.

I would use the cell reference option, but the cell that the value needs to
go to will change everytime a value is chosen.

I was trying to write something quick that I could use for time studies to
capture a start and stop time.  The list box is to select a code that
corresponds to the type of operation the person is doing.  The data would be
organized like a record with code, start time and stop time on the same row,
but in separate columns.  Each time the start button is pressed, the code
from the list box would be passed to the cell on the current row.  The start
time would then be entered in the start time cell on that row.  When the stop
button is pressed, it would populate the stop time, increment the row counter
and get ready for the next observation.

thanks,
Tim
"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> [...]
> > select 9A, the value returned is 4.  The listbox value range is on different
> > worksheet than the worksheet where I want to place the listbox value.  The
> > listbox range is currently one column with about 200 rows.
> >
> > Worksheet Row Number         Value
> > 1                                             6
> > 2                                             7
> > 3                                             8
> > 4                                             9A
> > 5                                             10B
> >
> > The condensed version of the code (excluding how I choose the cell) is:
> >
> > Dim listvalue As String
> > Dim rowcounter As Integer
> > Dim EOBpointer As Range
> >
> > Worksheets("Timer").Activate
> > ActiveSheet.Shapes("List Box 8").Select
> >
> > rowcounter = 35
> >
> > listvalue = Selection.Value
> >
> > Set EOBpointer = Range("c" & rowcounter)

I used the msgbox just to show that it was working ok.

msgbox mylb8val
could be
somecell.value = mylb8val
where somecell was decided elsewhere in your code.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Awesome list of Excel/Word/Powerpoint shortcuts!
Hi, everybody! I recently discovered a great keyboard shortcut list for the office applications. It seems to have practically every shortcut imaginable and it fits on one page too! I printed it out and put on the wall next to my monitor -- just great!. Thought you would appreciate it... Here's the link to the PDF file. Hit print and you're ready to go. http://www.prihodko.com/msoffice/Office_2003_Shortcuts.pdf Lindy Hi Lindy, For Excel, I like Chip Pearson's Excel Keyboard Shortcuts page at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/KeyboardShortcuts.htm There is also a d...

XML parsing error: Invalid unicode character value for this platform
I've seen a couple other posts on this but no real answers. I'm trying to do a bulk insert and everything is fine until I run the objCom.ExecuteNonQuery() statement at which point I get the XML parsing error. Of course, it would be easy to simply wrap unicode characters with CDATA <![CDATA[ &#xD;&#xA ]]> but is this doable when passing values to fields to create a row since a whole row is treated as a single element? I.e.: <FileProperty File_ID_FK=\"80\" Property_Name_VC=\"Categories\" Property_Value=\"\" Property_DataType_VC=\"ol...

Category color changes when changing values.
When I copy a chart I get two identical ones. When I change the values of one of the charts and sort the values, Excel changes the colors of the categories to a preset order, so that the color of the biggest customer in chart 1 is not the same as this same customer (let's say now on the third place) in chart 2. Is there a way to prevent this? ...

How do I delete a text box from an Excel spreadsheet?
Rightclick on it and select cut If the textbox is from the control toolbox toolbar, you may have to click on the designmode icon first. Uncle Binky wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Using insert to paste a row--how done in Excel 2007
Hi, In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a row instead of what I have copied. I want it the old way! How do I do it? -- Thanks, PTweety R-click, Insert Copied Cells. pickytweety wrote: > Hi, > In my old version of Excel, I could copy a row or chunk of rows, move to a > new spot and use the "insert row" icon to insert the rows and paste it > automatically. Now in Office 2007 it just inserts a r...

How make range of Hyperlinks?
I see how to make a single cell into a Hyperlink but what if we want to have all email and web addresses in a spreadsheet turn into hyperlinks? Is there an easy way to turn this on and off? Hi for making hyperlinks in your selected range have a look at the following macro: Sub MakeHyperlinks() Dim cell As Range For Each cell In Intersect(Selection, _ Selection.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues)) With Worksheets(1) .Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=cell, _ Address:=cell.Value, _ ScreenTip:=cell.Value, _ TextToDisplay:=cell.Value End Wit...

hide Admin from address list
Hi Exchange server 2003 (SBS2003) how do I hide / remove the administrators mail box address from all lists to stop people sending emails to it when they select all domain users? thanks Adrian wrote: > Hi > Exchange server 2003 (SBS2003) how do I hide / remove the > administrators mail box address from all lists to stop people sending > emails to it when they select all domain users? > > thanks Well, you can control who can send email to that mailbox in the delivery restrictions section (ADUC properties of the admin acct, exchange general tab). Would that not suffice?...

Product list in CRM v.1.2
Hi all, i have another question concerning the product list, can i attach an excle sheet that contains my products instead of loging each product one by one as i have over 25,000 products to log? -- Regards, Marwa I'm afraid not. This is a major pain point for a lot of people and I do not kno of any 3rd party add-ons that have addressed it either. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "marwa" <marwa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C062CF1E-EEF8-43B4-AC31-F299BF707252@microsoft.com... Hi all, i have another question concerning the product list, can ...

How can I Enable a Check Box based on another fields value?
Hi There, I have a form with a disabled check box. I need to enable it when a certain value ("approved") is selected from a combo box. When I am in Form Design View and I have the Check Box selected the Conditional Formatting menu item on the Format menu is greyed out. I am using Access 2003. Can you tell me what I need to do to make this work? Many thanks, David As you've discovered, Conditional Formatting isn't availabe to checkboxes. Try this: Private Sub Form_Current() If Me.YourComboBox = "Approved" Then YourCheckBox.Enabled = True Else YourChe...

Newbie: can't get a calculated value on the form?
I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers. I have a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it. I put a text box on the form from the query result field, but I get a "#Name" error instead of the result. When I run the query, I get the correct result. Help, please? Ed "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d1e7d27c-11d9-4696-8d19-4c5fdd9dbb89@d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... >I have a table with numbers and a form that shows the numbers. I have > a query that takes one of the numbers and mulitplies it. I p...

How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs?
How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs? In the following, the answer I'm after is 17 A1 -10 A2 5 A3 -2 =SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A3)) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 04:19:52 GMT, Invalid <invalid@invalid.comINVALID> wrote: >How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs? In the following, the >answer I'm after is 17 > >A1 -10 >A2 5 >A3 -2 > > Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in news:1o2f63pa84r8o6tdf65sa9ptpbv0nlt7u6@4ax.com: Thank you Gord. ----- > =SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A3)) > > > Gord Dibben M...

check number > 10000
I have a checking account where my check numbers recently went over the 10000 mark and my credit union told me that the OFX format only goes up to 9999 so they start over at check number 1. I find it hard to believe that this could really be true. Anyone else run into this and have a better solution? Would another bank not have this issue? I use Money 2004 and it allows me to enter check numbers over 10000, but when I download my transactions from my Credit union it knows enough to match the check up correctly (IE: Credit union check number 10 match my entry of 10010) but when I accept ...

incorrect audio track length returned from MCIWndGetLength for mp3
hi there i am using the MCIWnd* (ie Video for Windows) apis to play mp3 and wave files the MCIWndGetLength() macro is meant to return the length of the audio file, in milliseconds (to make sure this happens i call MCIWndUseTime() first) this works fine for WAV files, but the values returned for MP3 files don't reflect their duration in millisecs - what does it return for mp3 files? can i translate that easily into millisecs? tia bhu "bhu Boue vidya" <bhuvidya@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:1154303075.383266.204890@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > > the M...

Graph Data Values
I am trying to create a pick and mix graph that shows forecast spen against actual spend by a selected business area. I somehow want to create a graph on the fly based on the selections fo example: If I choose company one and want to see the contracted data I want th graph to pick up the forcasted contracted Labour, Passthru and Othe and show the combined contracted actuals; See attached; and if i then choose company 2 then graph will pick up the releven ranges? HELP!! Attachment filename: help.zip Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachmen...

Converting Values to Unicode Characters
The function CHAR converts a value in the range 1-255 to to an ANSI character. Is there a way to convert values in the range 1-65,342 to Unicode characters? -- Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com Columbus, Ohio You can use VLOOKUP but you'll have to create your own lookup table of the unicode characters and I think you'll have to paste it onto the same spreadsheet.... Maybe you can find a lookup table on the internet somewhere that you can easily paste into your spreadsheet. tsides <tsides@intelligentsystemsconsulting.com> wrote: > You can use VLOOKUP but y...

generate list of non-entries within dates
I use Excel (2007) to record activity and support for about 100 current online learners and I have to provide an activity summary sheet every two weeks. The list of learners is in one sheet and are marked "current", agreed break" or "completed" in an adjacent column. The total list is about 1000 and grows by about 10 each week. The activity log is another sheet of the same workbook. Assuming that all activity is logged in this way I need to generate a list (sheet) of those current learners who have not submitted any recent work and are therefore "inacti...

Combo box choice outcome
I have a combo box with the following choices: Checks_Walkthrough Checks_Monitor Research_Case Inventory_Maint Task_Cable Task_Misc New Issue What I want is if anything BUT "New issue" is selected, two fields in the same form as the combo box are populated by other data in the table the above list is pulled from. I can get this to happen by itself. Me.Text27.Value = Me.imac.Column(2) Me.model.Value = Me.imac.Column(3) If "New Issue" is selected, I want another form 'New_case' to open and enter the required data there. I can get this to work alone ...

Passing Values from One Form to Another Including a Combo Box
Hi, hope someone can help with passing two values from one form to another by way of a command button. I have spent a week on various code taken from this site, but still no luck. Please ... someone help!! The form I am passing values from is called PATIENT HISTORY-Form. On this form, I need to pass a date from a field called DateSFESigned and I also need to pass information collected from a Combo box, Combo91. The command button is called Command119. The form that the values are being passed to is called Personal Habits- Form. Thank you in advance for any help on this matter. Maurita ...

Global Address List #16
This is a brand new Windows 2003 SBS Exchange 2003 install. I have created a separate OU and added a few users to that OU. From Outlook 2003, the GAL only shows the administrator and 1 of the default SBS groups. However, when 'All Users' is selected from the drop-down menu, the other users appear. I have checked the preview for both the GAL and All Address lists filter in System Manager and all of the appropriate users appear. Shouldn't they all appear on the GAL by default? "Jorge Azcuy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >This is a brand ne...

Keeping a range constant when inserting rows
Hello, I'm trying to keep a range of cells constant within a function when I insert a row (e.g. average(a1:a6) becomes average(a1:a7) but I want it to keep the a1:a6 range). Even if I use absolute cell references ($a$1:$a$6), it doesn't help. I would greatly appreciate any ideas. Thanks, Jeff Jeff, In your formula, use: =AVERAGE(INDIRECT("A1:A6")) Absolute cell references (dollar signs) do one thing only: They keep any copies you make of the cell references from changing relatively as they're copied. They still change when the cells to which they refer are m...

Copy Distribution List from One Computer to Another
Hi Folks - I have seen various methods for accomplishing this, but none seem to help me. Our company uses Outlook 2003 in a NON Exchange Server environment. I have seen a method for copying distribution lists within a Exchange server environment, but it does not work in our environment. Any ideas? Thanks. Michael Michael <info@homekeyinc.com> wrote: > Hi Folks - I have seen various methods for accomplishing this, but > none seem to help me. Our company uses Outlook 2003 in a NON Exchange > Server environment. I have seen a method for copying distribution > lists with...

find sum in list of of numbers
Hello, I have a list of numbers in a column and I need to find which numbers when summed together equal a figure. I have a list of invoice amounts that I need to match up with payments (the payments are always made for several invoices so I need to come up with sums of several invoices to get to this payment amount). An example would be I have this in the following section (A1:A10): $17,213.82 $4,563.02 $85,693.42 $1,166.01 $725.90 $580.09 $2,243.75 $240.16 $207.70 $725.90 I need to find which combination of these figures would sum $1,173.76. Thanks in Advance, Dza the troubled ...

How to recall the Phone number ... what about other variables?
Hi just a simple question, I'm customizing my status.htm page. Without having any guide, I'm guessing almost every variable. One of the easy of them: Customer's PhoneNumber.... I tried with QSRules.Transaction.Customer.PhoneNumber but didn't bring my anything What is the right syntax? Does anybody have any list of variables you can call using QSRules ? Thanks Gustavo Gustavo, try this out: QSRules.Transaction.Customer.HomeAddress.PhoneNumber ...

References omit formatting and return cell address
In two cases of references between worksheets, the formatting from the original cell does not appear in the cell that it is referenced to. Case 1: Worksheet 1, A1 contains a currency formatted number - $2,000 Worksheet 2, A1 references the Workhseet 1, A1 cell using the = sign, yet it returns 2000 (unless I manually reformat the Workksheet 2 cell to Currency Case 2: Worksheet 3, A1 contains an apartment # - e.g. 4 Worksheet 4, A1 references this cell but returns the cell address - Worksheet2,!A1' - rather than the number 4. I tried different formats for the number 4,...