Excel save takes 18 times longer than Windows Explorer copy - why? Options

Hi All

I have an Excel system with about 10 sheets and loads of VBA modules
and classes.

It resides on a network at my company's headquarters.

When I copy the file from my desktop to the server using Windows
Explorer drag and drop it takes about 6 seconds.

However if I open the Excel file from the server from my PC and save
it using Excel the save time is 90 seconds.

Is this normal? My users are complaining about the time it takes to
save after editing. It also means that they are not saving often and
are risking losing changes. Any thoughts?

If the length of my save is normal then what should I do to reduce
the
size of my file for a quicker save? How much does VBA code add to the
file size or should I be looking at the size of each worksheet?

Cheers
Chrisso
0
Chrisso

When you simply drag and drop Excel does not need to make any
calculations, however when the workbook is opened/closed calculations
may take place, try setting calculation to manual in the beforesave
event or beforeclose event, like this:

With Application
.Calculation = xlManual
.MaxChange = 0.001
.CalculateBeforeSave = False
End With don't forget to turn it back on in the open event!

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
'Microsoft Office Help' (http://www.thecodecage.com)
Simon Lloyd's Profile: 1
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=174829

Simon
1/30/2010 8:59:42 AM
"Simon Lloyd" <Simon.Lloyd.45lh53@thecodecage.com> wrote:
> try setting calculation to manual in the beforesave
> event or beforeclose event, like this:
>
> With Application
> Calculation = xlManual
> MaxChange = 0.001
> CalculateBeforeSave = False
> End With

But don't forget the dots before property names; to wit:

With Application
   .Calculation = xlManual
   .MaxChange = 0.001
   .CalculateBeforeSave = False
End With

And should MaxChange really be part of the process?

We do see it when we record a macro while setting the manual calculation
option.  But then again, we also see PrecisionAsDisplayed being set, yet we
are wise enough to recognize that as extraneous.

> When you simply drag and drop Excel does not need to make any
> calculations, however when the workbook is opened/closed calculations
> may take place, try setting calculation to manual in the beforesave
> event or beforeclose event, like this:
>
> With Application
> Calculation = xlManual
> MaxChange = 0.001
> CalculateBeforeSave = False
> End With don't forget to turn it back on in the open event!
>
> Chrisso;628211 Wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I have an Excel system with about 10 sheets and loads of VBA modules
>> and classes.
>>

>> It resides on a network at my company's headquarters.
>>

>> When I copy the file from my desktop to the server using Windows
>> Explorer drag and drop it takes about 6 seconds.
>>

>> However if I open the Excel file from the server from my PC and save
>> it using Excel the save time is 90 seconds.
>>

>> Is this normal? My users are complaining about the time it takes to
>> save after editing. It also means that they are not saving often and
>> are risking losing changes. Any thoughts?
>>

>> If the length of my save is normal then what should I do to reduce
>> the
>> size of my file for a quicker save? How much does VBA code add to the
>> file size or should I be looking at the size of each worksheet?
>>

>> Cheers
>> Chrisso
>

> --
> Simon Lloyd
>
> Regards,
> Simon Lloyd
> 'Microsoft Office Help' (http://www.thecodecage.com)
> Simon Lloyd's Profile: 1
> View this thread:
> http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=174829
>
> [url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com&quot;]Microsoft Office Help[/url]

0
Joe
1/30/2010 3:53:52 PM
On 30 Jan, 08:59, Simon Lloyd <Simon.Lloyd.45l...@thecodecage.com>
wrote:
> When you simply drag and drop Excel does not need to make any
> calculations, however when the workbook is opened/closed calculations
> may take place, try setting calculation to manual in the beforesave
> event or beforeclose event, like this:
>
> With Application
> .Calculation = xlManual
> .MaxChange = 0.001
> .CalculateBeforeSave = False
> End With don't forget to turn it back on in the open event!
>
> Chrisso;628211 Wrote:
>

> > Hi All
>
> > I have an Excel system with about 10 sheets and loads of VBA modules
> > and classes.
>
> > It resides on a network at my company's headquarters.
>
> > When I copy the file from my desktop to the server using Windows
> > Explorer drag and drop it takes about 6 seconds.
>
> > However if I open the Excel file from the server from my PC and save
> > it using Excel the save time is 90 seconds.
>
> > Is this normal? My users are complaining about the time it takes to
> > save after editing. It also means that they are not saving often and
> > are risking losing changes. Any thoughts?
>
> > If the length of my save is normal then what should I do to reduce
> > the
> > size of my file for a quicker save? How much does VBA code add to the
> > file size or should I be looking at the size of each worksheet?
>
> > Cheers
> > Chrisso
>
> --
> Simon Lloyd
>
> Regards,
> Simon Lloyd
> 'Microsoft Office Help' (http://www.thecodecage.com)
> Simon Lloyd's Profile: 1
> View this thread:http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=174829
>
> [url=&quot;http://www.thecodecage.com"]Microsoft Office Help[/url]- Hide quoted text -

Thanks - i will give it a try.

Chrisso
0
Chrisso

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

option button
Hi I need some help! I have a column with results from a survey. The results are in text but do have a ranking, e.g. the results can be A,B,C,D or E. I now want to create an option button or similar where I can let the user choose to cap the results so e.g. the maximum result is a B and then all A results should show up as B's. Is this possible? Thanks You'll need a helper column to do this. Try something like this: =IF(B3<=C$1,C$1,B3) B3 is the survey result, C1 is the "Cap" value. HTH, Barb Reinhardt "Andreas" wrote: > Hi > > I need som...

learning Excel #3

Save as .doc
In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? REBeyer wrote: > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? Not that I know of. You can save as .txt, open in Word, and save as a Word doc, though. "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote: > REBeyer wrote: > > In Outlook 2003 there is no option to save an eemail as .doc. > > is there setting that can be turned on to allow this? > > Not that I know of. You can save as ...

Over Time Pay rate 1.51?

Test for Windows Classic folders in XP?

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit