Excel 2007: UDF can't reference row below 65536

In Excel 2007 (I'm on SP2), if I enter this formula:

=SUM(A65537)

It works fine. But if I enter this formula:

=MYUDF(A65537)

Excel turns it into this:

=MYUDF(#REF!)

That isn't the UDF's fault' Excel is doing that before the UDF has the
opportunity to do anything at all. Is there a workaround or fix?

Thanks,

Greg
0
Greg

It sounds like you are working in Compatibility Mode. How many rows does your
workbook have on a sheet? I created a simple MyUDF function, and it accepts
any range up to 1048576 unless the workbook calling it was saved in an
earlier Excel format (.xls instead of .xlsx).

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"Greg Lovern" wrote:

> In Excel 2007 (I'm on SP2), if I enter this formula:
>
> =SUM(A65537)
>
> It works fine. But if I enter this formula:
>
> =MYUDF(A65537)
>
> Excel turns it into this:
>
> =MYUDF(#REF!)
>

> That isn't the UDF's fault' Excel is doing that before the UDF has the
> opportunity to do anything at all. Is there a workaround or fix?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Greg
> .

Hi Tom,

I'm in a .xlsx saved out from Excel 2007 as a standard Excel .xlsx
file. The last cell is XFD1048576.

I've been working with it more and found that the problem was not as
simple as I'd thought.

The problem seems to require that the UDF have two arguments (both
required args). Then, the problem happens even if only one arg is
passed, which is invalid for the UDF but even so, the reference in the
formula shouldn't change to #REF!.

So to get a simple repro, change the UDF to require two args, then
reference cells below row 65536 in those args:

MYUDF(A65537,A65537)

Result: Excel changes the formula to:

MYUDF(#REF!,A65537)

Any thoughts?

BTW I've been working with UDFs in an .xla that has stubs that call an
ActiveX DLL. I'll see if I get the same problem with a simpler
scenario. Come to think of it, the .xla is in Excel 97-2003 format
(for compatibility with those Excel versions).

Thanks,

Greg

On May 11, 2:09=A0pm, Tom Hutchins
<TomHutch...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> It sounds like you are working in Compatibility Mode. How many rows does =
your
> workbook have on a sheet? I created a simple MyUDF function, and it accep=
ts
> any range up to 1048576 unless the workbook calling it was saved in an
> earlier Excel format (.xls instead of .xlsx).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Hutch
>

> "Greg Lovern" wrote:
> > In Excel 2007 (I'm on SP2), if I enter this formula:
>
> > =3DSUM(A65537)
>
> > It works fine. But if I enter this formula:
>
> > =3DMYUDF(A65537)
>
> > Excel turns it into this:
>
> > =3DMYUDF(#REF!)
>
> > That isn't the UDF's fault' Excel is doing that before the UDF has the
> > opportunity to do anything at all. Is there a workaround or fix?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Greg

Greg
5/11/2010 9:35:10 PM
I've found that if I go into the .xla and comment out the call to the
DLL, and just add the two references together, it works fine. So I'm
going to have to step through the DLL next, which I don't have with me
at the moment.

No matter what the DLL might be doing wrong, Excel shouldn't change
the formula like that. Any error should be returned as the return
value, not as a change to the formula itself. Are there any
circumstances under which Excel is expected to change the formula when
just calculating the formula?

Thanks,

Greg

On May 11, 2:35=A0pm, Greg Lovern <gr...@gregl.net> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I'm in a .xlsx saved out from Excel 2007 as a standard Excel .xlsx
> file. The last cell is XFD1048576.
>
> I've been working with it more and found that the problem was not as
> simple as I'd thought.
>
> The problem seems to require that the UDF have two arguments (both
> required args). Then, the problem happens even if only one arg is
> passed, which is invalid for the UDF but even so, the reference in the
> formula shouldn't change to #REF!.
>
> So to get a simple repro, change the UDF to require two args, then
> reference cells below row 65536 in those args:
>
> MYUDF(A65537,A65537)
>
> Result: Excel changes the formula to:
>
> MYUDF(#REF!,A65537)
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> BTW I've been working with UDFs in an .xla that has stubs that call an
> ActiveX DLL. I'll see if I get the same problem with a simpler
> scenario. Come to think of it, the .xla is in Excel 97-2003 format
> (for compatibility with those Excel versions).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg
>
> On May 11, 2:09=A0pm, Tom Hutchins
>

> <TomHutch...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > It sounds like you are working in Compatibility Mode. How many rows doe=
s your
> > workbook have on a sheet? I created a simple MyUDF function, and it acc=
epts
> > any range up to 1048576 unless the workbook calling it was saved in an
> > earlier Excel format (.xls instead of .xlsx).
>
> > Hope this helps,
>
> > Hutch
>
> > "Greg Lovern" wrote:
> > > In Excel 2007 (I'm on SP2), if I enter this formula:
>
> > > =3DSUM(A65537)
>
> > > It works fine. But if I enter this formula:
>
> > > =3DMYUDF(A65537)
>
> > > Excel turns it into this:
>
> > > =3DMYUDF(#REF!)
>
> > > That isn't the UDF's fault' Excel is doing that before the UDF has th=
> > > opportunity to do anything at all. Is there a workaround or fix?
>
> > > Thanks,
>
> > > Greg

Greg
5/11/2010 9:54:42 PM
You hadn't mentioned any .DLL or .xla files. I think that one (or both) of
them must be based on an Excel 2003 or earlier format. Is the 65636-row limit
hard-coded in the DLL? Even though your current workbook is in Excel 2007
format, the UDF (and it sounds like the .DLL is the culprit) still has the
limitations of XL2003. The .DLL and .xla files need to be rewritten/recreated
in an XL2007-compatible format.

Hutch

On Tue, 11 May 2010 14:35:10 -0700 (PDT), Greg Lovern <gregl@gregl.net> wrote:

>BTW I've been working with UDFs in an .xla that has stubs that call an
>ActiveX DLL. I'll see if I get the same problem with a simpler
>scenario. Come to think of it, the .xla is in Excel 97-2003 format
>(for compatibility with those Excel versions).

Try it in an .xlam, which is the Excel 2007 version of the .xla

FWIW, your problem does not reproduce in my Excel 2007.

--ron
0
Ron
5/12/2010 11:37:09 AM
When I got home last night, I tried it again, to work on a workaround
until I have a chance to find and fix the bug. To my surprise, it did
NOT repro on my home computer! When I got back here this morning, I
verified that it does repro here.

On both computers, I'm running Excel 2007 SP2, and I was using the
same version of my add-in, with the xla and dll both installed by the
same release package. To repro the problem, in both cases I was using
the same sample .xlsx file.

I have no idea why it works on one computer and not the other.

Greg

On May 12, 4:37=A0am, Ron Rosenfeld <ronrosenf...@nospam.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 14:35:10 -0700 (PDT), Greg Lovern <gr...@gregl.net> w=
rote:
> >BTW I've been working with UDFs in an .xla that has stubs that call an
> >ActiveX DLL. I'll see if I get the same problem with a simpler
> >scenario. Come to think of it, the .xla is in Excel 97-2003 format
> >(for compatibility with those Excel versions).
>
> Try it in an .xlam, which is the Excel 2007 version of the .xla
>
> FWIW, your problem does not reproduce in my Excel 2007.
>
> --ron

0
Greg
5/12/2010 2:24:46 PM
Sorry, I forgot to add:

If the problem only occured on one computer, I'd be inclined to think
it was a problem with the Excel installation on that computer. But the
problem exists on at least two computers -- the problem was originally
reported to me by a customer, and it was his sample .xlsx file I used
on both of my computers to repro.

So the problem happens on his computer and one of mine, but not on
another computer of mine.

Greg

On May 12, 7:24=A0am, Greg Lovern <gr...@gregl.net> wrote:
> When I got home last night, I tried it again, to work on a workaround
> until I have a chance to find and fix the bug. To my surprise, it did
> NOT repro on my home computer! When I got back here this morning, I
> verified that it does repro here.
>
> On both computers, I'm running Excel 2007 SP2, and I was using the
> same version of my add-in, with the xla and dll both installed by the
> same release package. To repro the problem, in both cases I was using
> the same sample .xlsx file.
>
> I have no idea why it works on one computer and not the other.
>
> Greg
>
> On May 12, 4:37=A0am, Ron Rosenfeld <ronrosenf...@nospam.org> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 11 May 2010 14:35:10 -0700 (PDT), Greg Lovern <gr...@gregl.net>=
 wrote:
> > >BTW I've been working with UDFs in an .xla that has stubs that call an
> > >ActiveX DLL. I'll see if I get the same problem with a simpler
> > >scenario. Come to think of it, the .xla is in Excel 97-2003 format
> > >(for compatibility with those Excel versions).
>
> > Try it in an .xlam, which is the Excel 2007 version of the .xla
>
> > FWIW, your problem does not reproduce in my Excel 2007.
>
> > --ron- Hide quoted text -

Greg
5/12/2010 2:30:31 PM
On Wed, 12 May 2010 07:24:46 -0700 (PDT), Greg Lovern <gregl@gregl.net> wrote:

>When I got home last night, I tried it again, to work on a workaround
>until I have a chance to find and fix the bug. To my surprise, it did
>NOT repro on my home computer! When I got back here this morning, I
>verified that it does repro here.
>
>On both computers, I'm running Excel 2007 SP2, and I was using the
>same version of my add-in, with the xla and dll both installed by the
>same release package. To repro the problem, in both cases I was using
>the same sample .xlsx file.
>
>I have no idea why it works on one computer and not the other.
>

>Greg

Try saving the file as an .xlsm file.
--ron
0
Ron
5/12/2010 7:46:26 PM
On Wed, 12 May 2010 07:30:31 -0700 (PDT), Greg Lovern <gregl@gregl.net> wrote:

>Sorry, I forgot to add:
>
>If the problem only occured on one computer, I'd be inclined to think
>it was a problem with the Excel installation on that computer. But the
>problem exists on at least two computers -- the problem was originally
>reported to me by a customer, and it was his sample .xlsx file I used
>on both of my computers to repro.
>
>So the problem happens on his computer and one of mine, but not on
>another computer of mine.
>
>Greg

I think it has to do with compatibility mode incompatibilities.
--ron
0
Ron
5/12/2010 8:03:34 PM
It stopped reproducing here after I restarted Excel. I tried several
different ways but haven't been able to get the problem to happen
again. I'll pick it up again if I can get a repro. Also, when I can
get the time I'll step through the DLL function to see if I can find
the problem. But the .xla is just passing values to the DLL, not range