Evaluate File for Last Updated Date

I want to have my macro code determine the date a file was last updated and
then from there, decide whether or not to open it.  What I don't know is how
to access the file's property that returns that date it was updated.  If I
could just use an "If" statement to say something like this, in principle:

If Filename.DateUpdated >= Today() - 1 Then
    Workbooks.Open Filename
End If

The goal is to only open files that have been updated within the last two
days.  Is this possible?

Using document properties.

IF Filename.BuiltinDocumentProperties("Last Save Time") etc.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:54:05 -0800, jb_tenor1
<jbtenor1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I want to have my macro code determine the date a file was last updated and
>then from there, decide whether or not to open it.  What I don't know is how
>to access the file's property that returns that date it was updated.  If I
>could just use an "If" statement to say something like this, in principle:
>
>If Filename.DateUpdated >= Today() - 1 Then
>    Workbooks.Open Filename
>End If
>
>The goal is to only open files that have been updated within the last two
>days.  Is this possible?

0
Gord
11/18/2009 10:01:09 PM
This should get you started

Option Explicit

Sub Test()
Dim FSO As Object
Dim RootFolder As Object
Dim myFolder As String
Dim File As Object

'define myFolder here

myFolder = "C:"   'Enter what you want
    'Create FileSystemObject object
    Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

    'Test if the folder exist and set RootFolder
    If FSO.FolderExists(myFolder) = False Then
        MsgBox myFolder & " doesn't exist"
        Exit Sub
    End If
    Set RootFolder = FSO.GetFolder(myFolder)

    For Each File In RootFolder.Files
        Debug.Print File.Name, File.datelastmodified, File.datelastaccessed

    Next File

   Set FSO = Nothing

End Sub

IIRC, the BuiltInDocumentProperties can only be accessed once the file is
opened.

--
HTH,

Barb Reinhardt

"jb_tenor1" wrote:

> I want to have my macro code determine the date a file was last updated and
> then from there, decide whether or not to open it.  What I don't know is how
> to access the file's property that returns that date it was updated.  If I
> could just use an "If" statement to say something like this, in principle:
>
> If Filename.DateUpdated >= Today() - 1 Then
>     Workbooks.Open Filename
> End If
>
> The goal is to only open files that have been updated within the last two
> days.  Is this possible?

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

CSV File Problem

update column

CFile (delete file)

import a 123 file

Oldest date for Duplicate Cust. #

Meeting updates #2

Dates #9

Public Folder link to Excel File

Money Plus not Updating Quotes

Qrp Date functions

Renaming Partial File Names

date tracking

printing imported gif files in Excel

unknown .edb file

Short time vs short date

Online Price Updates
Somehow online price updating was turned on in my file. I have turned it off. However, when I go to delete the erroneous past-dated Online Prices for a particular stock, it appears they are initialling deleting, but when I return to the stock later, all the deleted online prices (from the past) are re-instated. It is as though none of the price deletions I performed have taken effect. How do I clean up these erroneous past online price updates? ...

Date Calculation

Symbol Updating Only Every Few Days (if at all)
Using Money 2006, and have a symbol "VLO" that is only updating every few days. This stock was a duplicate (downloaded transaction created a new version of the same stock - my fault not clicking correct choice when asked). I've removed the symbol from the stock entry that was downloaded, renamed this entry to something bogus, deleting this renamed stock "from all accounts", then added the symbol back to the original VLO stock that I've been tracking for years. Now the stock just says "unch" in the portfolio view, and the price history is only updat...