Do you need MS Access to query on an Access table?

I'm asking these questions because I have looked at a lot of stuff in the
discussion groups and still confused.  I am fairly good at Excel programming
but haven't been able to get Excel and Access to talk.

First, I have Office 2003 Professional at work and Office 2003 without
Access at home.  I want to work on developing Excel programming at home which
will get data from Access to Excel with either MS Query or with programming.
Is it possible to just have the .mdb files on the home computer for Excel to
work with, or do I need the Access program too?

The info I want to get from Access currently uses Access queries which
prompt for criteria and are rather involved.  To use them with Excel I would
want the criteria to be based on cell entries.  Would I need to put the
Access SQL language into Excel or could I call the Access queries and feed
them the parameters at the same time (and how)?  I can then put the data into
a small (20 row, 4 field) Excel table.

At work the DB is on the network with the users having a front end somewhere
on their computer.  Finding the individual front ends is difficult, so from
Excel do I address a separate front end on the network or the back end?

Part of your answer is that you do not need MS Access to read/write to an
Access database.  Use the macro recorder to get the basic code when loading
data from your external database, then adapt that to suit.

You can invoke queries stored in the access database or execute the SQL from
within Excel. It depends on your particular set up and how those queries may
need to be changed.

HTH

--

Regards,
Nigel

"AZSteve" <AZSteve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm asking these questions because I have looked at a lot of stuff in the
> discussion groups and still confused.  I am fairly good at Excel
> programming
> but haven't been able to get Excel and Access to talk.
>
> First, I have Office 2003 Professional at work and Office 2003 without
> Access at home.  I want to work on developing Excel programming at home
> which
> will get data from Access to Excel with either MS Query or with
> programming.
> Is it possible to just have the .mdb files on the home computer for Excel
> work with, or do I need the Access program too?
>
> The info I want to get from Access currently uses Access queries which
> prompt for criteria and are rather involved.  To use them with Excel I
> would
> want the criteria to be based on cell entries.  Would I need to put the
> Access SQL language into Excel or could I call the Access queries and feed
> them the parameters at the same time (and how)?  I can then put the data
> into
> a small (20 row, 4 field) Excel table.
>
> At work the DB is on the network with the users having a front end
> somewhere
> on their computer.  Finding the individual front ends is difficult, so
> from
> Excel do I address a separate front end on the network or the back end?

0
Nigel

Need to delete roaming profile after logoff
Is there a way to delete roaming profiles off the clients after the user log offs? We don't have enough space on some workstations and need to free space when users are not on the system. The server is Win2K8, and we have clients from XP to Win7. Thanks "Allyn" <Allyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40A868B2-479B-479C-ABD6-0DB8FD691E52@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to delete roaming profiles off the clients after the user > log > offs? We don't have enough space on some workstations and need to free > space > when ...

Very difficult query (?)
Hello I've been struggling with this all day, and although I think I'm near a solution (actually I thought that 2 hours ago!) it now involves 4 nested queries and is 'grinding' horribly (i.e. takes 30-40 seconds to run), and I'm convinced that there must be a better way to get what I need! I really hope someone can help with this. I have a table [x confirmed] which includes the following fields: 'employeename' (text) 'month number' (integer) 'cont rate' (number - percent) 'nhsp ees' (number - currency) 'pen pay' (numb...

MS money trial version
I downloaded the Money 2004 and worked on it for 2 month inputting my data. The trial version expired and I am saw a special on the Money 2003 business and I bought it. Now I can not covert my data to pervious version. Can you please help and let me know how I am able to covert from a trail version 2004 to a full version of 2003. You can't - Money like most software is not backwards compatible. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money Hints/Tips http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny UK Wishes/Suggestions mnyukwsh@microsoft.com "kamal&quo...

Need help on Probablility problem
I have a problem for class i cant figure out how to do this is it: I have to create a worksheet that displays the percentage of peopl having the same birthday and the percentage of them having differen birthdays. My problem is i have no idea what formula to use to ge these percentages for each amount of people. If anyone can help i would be greatly appreciated ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide ...

MS Office for Mac Intel
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3235070324_27711299 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Any idea when MS Office/Mac will be written native to the new Macs with Intel chips? Hal Kushner --B_3235070324_27711299 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>MS Office for Mac Intel</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FONT FACE=3D&q...

Try these critical patch from MS Corporation
--mcbmczqsghix Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="orzlagexzg"; type="multipart/alternative" --orzlagexzg Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="zymxpdlph" --zymxpdlph Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help protect your computer ...

graph control needed
hi i want a graph control to draw a linear and smooth graph.I am using MFC. any kind of guidance is appreciated.... check this: http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/mschartvc.asp regards, Jayender. quickdeveloper wrote: > hi > > i want a graph control to draw a linear and smooth graph.I am using > MFC. > any kind of guidance is appreciated.... This one might be interesting to you as well: http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/cpp/cpp_mfc/general/article.php/c8535/ Tom "quickdeveloper" <nvamshikrishna@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137499093.575651.292350@g43g...

MS POS SDK Available?
We are using MS POS and find it is not nearly as robust as we were led to believe. Is there a SDK available for creating add-ins? I also hear v.2.0 is expected to release in 01/07; can someone point me to any information about feature improvements that will be in the new release? M Kalmus This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_05A8_01C71313.51D728B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Mark, The MSPOS SDK is scheduled around the middle of next year. But usually = they are for RMS/MSPOS resellers o...

I need Office 2003 Icons. Thanks
Could someone please help me to find and download Office 2003 icons. Thanks Wes V. Google for: microsoft office 2003 icons download "pwvjr" <pwvjr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93249F9D-3361-4ED7-B106-6C62B5FE2183@microsoft.com... : Could someone please help me to find and download Office 2003 icons. : : Thanks : : Wes V. ...

Trapping VK_SNAPSHOT keyboard msg query?
Hi experts I have am mfc based doc view application that does the job of displayin bitmap thumbnails in its list view. Now on double clicking any thumbnail the full version of the image is displayed. At the time when the full image is being displayed, i want to stop the user from using print screen keyboard button. For this i m using the following code in the PreTranslateMessage() BOOL CMyListControl::PreTranslateMessage(MSG* pMsg) { if(pMsg->message == WM_KEYDOWN || pMsg->message == WM_SYSKEYDOWN) pMsg->wParam = 0; } return CListCtrl::PreTranslateMessage(pMsg); } for a...

Excel; How can I use Query to create lists from separate workbooks
Hello, I have 5 worksheets in 1 workbook with purchasing data in them. The sheets have some different fields, but all contain a Filing No, Date, Vendor Name, Description, Department No, Account No, and Amount. I would like to pull the above information and place it into a master list based on Department No. and Account No. criteria (Ex; If (DepartmentNo=431110 and AccountNo=560420) = True, then insert into list) I thought that creating a database query was a promising solution. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work. I can get query to properly pull entries from a single sheet. W...

3rd Party Report Writers using A/P Tables
I am trying to print a check register using a 3rd party system. I need to know the table you need to access to obtain check numbers from history A/P transactions. For your table information questions, you can consult the SDK (page 47 of the Payables table integration document) as well as the resource descriptions within Great Plains. The SDK can be installed from the second Great Plains cd. There are a couple of tables you might want to use: PM_Paid_Transaction_History PM_Apply_To_Hist "Andy J_" <AndyJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5010AC0-738D-479...

Help needed reactivating Journal.
At work I use MS Outlook 2000 SR1 in a Corporate or Workgroup environment. I believe that originally this was supplied with Journal enabled, but that I have at some point in the dim and distant past removed Journal from the Outlook sidebar, since at the time I never used it. I now have a situation where I might want to use it, but I cannot see how to restore it, any help would be greatly appreciated. Assuming that I can restore it can Journal be made to work with contacts in the Global Address List as opposed to my Contacts folder? If so how? If not can I somehow automatically Import the ...

Printing multiple copy reports in Access 2003
I have a custom Access application that handles my companie's Inventory and Invoicing. We are in the process of converting the Invoice report from a dot matrix to a laser printer. This invoice also is used as a delivery ticket which is signed by the customer requiring the laser invoice form to be carbonless. I found a 5 part carbonless laser form that works great and I have been able to use code to print the 5 copies and non-coallated using the PRINTOUT method. I am trying to go with a completely blank invoice form. I have ran into an issue with trying to print on the bottom of the ...

How do I contact the people at Microsoft about MS Money?
I have used Microsoft Money, various versions, for many years, and I really like it. I am now up to Microsoft Money Plus Premium (Money 2008, if you prefer) and it works fine for me. With one BIG complaint for me. I've asked about it in this newsgroup over the years, and no one has been able to answer my question. I would really love to send this question/complaint to the team at Microsoft that work on MS Money, but I don't know how to reach them. How do I send them a message? Rod We'd all love to know. "Rod" <rod@no.spam> wrote in message news:55B34F...

Suggestion needed from experts reg files
Hi, I am doing an app which involves freqent searching. So ,I thought of this way. Reading from the file once the system boots and cache the memory. When the file does not exist ,the app will not be executing else the app runs normal. I have done searching mechanism in the file. I am getting lost in caching the memory ,Pls explain how the whole procedure works and if at all pls give some sample code snippet. Regards YKUT Whether memory is cached or not is usually up to the memory manager. Why are you wanting to intervene? "YKUT" <ykutanoor2003@yahoo.com> wrote in messa...

cannont access navigation bar options
hello guys, every time i click on my navigation bar and want to add a new page or anything to it, how do i access the options? before there would be a magic wand under that i would press, now instaed of that wand, a box shows up the box is to group, and ungroup objects, but HOW DO I GET TO THE NAVIGATION BAR OPTIONS!!!! It works when i make a new site, but for this particluar site, the navigation options are not accesible! They used to be, but then my web page stopped working, after i got it working it just stopped! and now publisher stopped recognizing it as a navigation bar Was yo...

exclusive access could not be obtained because the database is in
Hi, I am trying to restore a sql server 2000 database to an existing database to force an overwrite. I am trying this from the enterprise manager. However it is giving me the above error as reported. I have no idea how to hanble to restore. I would appreciate any help for resolution of this issue. Thanks Hi Jack, Make sure no users are connected to the database. Also if you have any other connection to the database from Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer close those connection as well. Use sp_who2 to findout which users are connected to the database. Regards, Balaji...

Macro help needed
all, thanks for any response. I would like to make a macro to take the contents of 3 columns of 20 numbers and letters, and combine them into one column to form a serial number.....this is relevant for a label making program that allows an Excel import. for example A1 Port1 KVM would turn into A1-Port1-KVM any help is appreciated. -- Rich........ my AOL instant messenger shhhbalto use this link to donate a calling card to our troops https://thor.aafes.com/scs/product.aspx?cid=2 this site helps our wounded soldiers adapt http://www.homesforourtroops.org/pages/4/index.htm Fr...

Show <> Records Between 2 Tables ?? (ANTI-Join)
Folks, I've got 2 tables. One has 2000 records (original) The Second has 1000 (created from the Original with 1000 records removed). There is a unique ID (which is in the Original and the Second for matching like records...the CustomerNum). I'm familiar with creating a query that would join them at the CustomerNum.... which would generate a list of records with matching CusterNums in each table) In the New Query dialog box, there's a wizard to create an Unmatched Query. That's what you're looking for. One of the tables has to be the "base" table, so you m...

How to access a function in a User Control
Hi All, I have created a MFC ActiveX OCX, using VC++ 7.0, which contains a dialog. I have embeded another user created control (this was created with VB6). This VB6 control exposes 2 functions. I would like some help on how to call these functions from my MFC OCX (say on a button click event). Thanks in advance ... Hussain Shabbir > I have created a MFC ActiveX OCX, using VC++ 7.0, which contains a > dialog. I have embeded another user created control (this was created > with VB6). This VB6 control exposes 2 functions. I would like some > help on how to call these functions fr...

Outlook Web Access loin page (ASP)
Hello, Can someone give some information about creating a personalised logon page to microsoft exchange 2003 through OWA. I have searched the Internet and found information about it but no howto or something like that. Thx for the help !!! This should help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830827 "Strontje" <Strontje@pandora.be> wrote in message news:Gz6md.6$C%6.5708959@hebe.telenet-ops.be... > Hello, > > Can someone give some information about creating a personalised logon page > to microsoft exchange 2003 through OWA. > I have ...

format of excel file to be counted as Table for Access
While importing external data, there is an option of importing an excel file in the form of a Table. Though a table in Access also has headings & data below it, what does the utility expect an excel file to contain? Thanks ...

Need help creating a ReportsTo Employee Report
I have a table 'tbl_employees" with the following field: EmployeeID (Primary) Employee Name Email ReportsToEmail ..... and other fields that aren't relevant I need to be able to run a query that show ALL employees that report up to a specific person. It is fairly easy to do a report that show who reports directly to a specific person, but I need to find all employees that are in that organization. For example, if a company had the following hierarchy, CEO -VP1 --GM1 ---controller ----asst controller -----staff accountant -----staff accountant -vp2 --gm2 ---director of ma...

Build on top of MS POS
Hi I am a developer, and would like to build a vertical solution for MS POS. Where do I find out how this is done? I can't find any info regarding enhancements for the software. Thanks There will be a developer's kit, but it will only be available to Partners. If you are a partner you can get more information from your Account Manager. The app is build in .NET with an MSDE back end. It isn't too difficult to start developing now without the kit. -- Mobitech Lady Amy Luby Mobitech 402.330.0707 www.mobitechonline.com "amaDalmatian" <rohan@strydom.net> wrot...