Did the newsgroup search programming change?

Hi,
After I post something to this newsgroup, I used to go back a day or two
later and search by "PTweety" or "pickytweety" to find my post and check the
answers received.  Now when I search that way, I see several of my 2008 and
2009 posts, but not my recent posts (like 1-20-2010).  How come?  Did the
search programming change?  I know it's more likely that I'm doing something
different, but I can't figure out what!
--
Thanks,
PTweety

On Jan 25, 12:46=A0pm, pickytweety
<pickytwe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> After I post something to this newsgroup, I used to go back a day or two
> later and search by "PTweety" or "pickytweety" to find my post and check =
the
> answers received. =A0Now when I search that way, I see several of my 2008=
 and
> 2009 posts, but not my recent posts (like 1-20-2010). =A0How come? =A0Did=
 the
> search programming change? =A0I know it's more likely that I'm doing some=
thing
> different, but I can't figure out what!
> --
> Thanks,
> PTweety

It's not you - google newsgroup search has been buggy for a while now.
Don't know why.
0
John
1/25/2010 5:52:30 PM
"pickytweety" wrote:
> Now when I search that way, I see several of
> my 2008 and 2009 posts, but not my recent
> posts (like 1-20-2010).  How come?

I don't know, and I cannot help you.  But....

You are using the MS Discussion Groups web interface.  Others who use that
interface have had a similar complaint lately.  The MSDG web interface is
infamous for its unreliability.  This is just another example of it.

You might try using another interface.  Google Groups is another web
interface.  That might be the easiest for you to move to.

Alternatively, you could set up a news reader on your computer, for example
Outlook Express or Windows Mail, to read from and post to the MSnews server
directly, msnews.microsoft.com.

As far as finding your previous postings, Google Groups search does work
somewhat.  But my experience (over many years) has not been 100% satisfactory.

Searching using Outlook Express (or Windows Mail) will be limited to
postings for the most recent 90 days, and then only if you download
everything through that date.  This is because the MSnews server retains
articles for only 90 days, at least in the m.p.excel newsgroups.

> After I post something to this newsgroup, I used to go back a day or two
> later and search by "PTweety" or "pickytweety" to find my post and check the
> answers received.  Now when I search that way, I see several of my 2008 and
> 2009 posts, but not my recent posts (like 1-20-2010).  How come?  Did the
> search programming change?  I know it's more likely that I'm doing something
> different, but I can't figure out what!
> --
> Thanks,
> PTweety
Hi,

I do the same thing to find posts. I've also noticed that enable
notification isn't working for me.

Try clicking on the edit my profile, then click preview and at the top of
the user profile box there is a recent posts by this user link.

Cheers
Diddy

"pickytweety" wrote:

> Hi,
> After I post something to this newsgroup, I used to go back a day or two
> later and search by "PTweety" or "pickytweety" to find my post and check the
> answers received.  Now when I search that way, I see several of my 2008 and
> 2009 posts, but not my recent posts (like 1-20-2010).  How come?  Did the
> search programming change?  I know it's more likely that I'm doing something
> different, but I can't figure out what!
> --
> Thanks,
> PTweety

how do i change dates on my calendar and keep my pics
Publisher doesn't support this. You would need to do it manually. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Bob T" <Bob T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68671977-F71B-444F-AE72-801D2B359FEE@microsoft.com... > ...

How can I search for a ? in Publisher?
I did a Search & Replace and somehow ? marks were placed throughout my 32-page document. I want to be sure I found them all, but when I search for ?, it stops at every letter. Appreciate some advice. Thanks. It doesn't work for me either. It doesn't work in 2010 as well. You can checkmark *Match whole words only* Publisher will look between each word rather than each letter. Not much help when you are dealing with 32 pages. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "guymaine" <guymaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B89D6FF6-B7...

Tracking Changes #4
Hi All, Just wondered if anyone could help me. I was going through the Track changes exercise, which is great to produce a report of who has change what and when etc. However I then found out that if I was to change my username in Tools>Options>General, in excel that track changes goes to pot and tracks the new username, so in effect I could disguise myself as someone else and change areas of the spreadsheet without successfully being tracked! Can this be stopped without using network administration rights to stop people going in and changing the username? Many Thanks Amanda ...

Changing my functions to use subtotals?
I have 2 functions that are calculating my data correctly, except now I need to consider the autofilter. I figure using subtotal is the way to go if I want to disregard filtered out rows. Also, I plan on moving my data to another sheet, so it will need to reference the current sheet, which is AAT_Raw_Data. Finally, the # of rows of data will vary, but I don't think it will ever be over 10,000. I'm using Excel 2003, so I think there's an issue with using something like "A:A" in my formulas. Can someone help me change these to add in a subtotal and take into...

Word always asks to save changes to the template
For my work we have made templates for different letters we have to send. Our application (VB6) calls those templates when we want to send a letter. Using the code we follow a few steps : - open word - open a new document using our template - save the document (.doc) on a server - sometimes print the document - sometimes immediately close the document (when we don't want users to modify the document afterwards) When they closed the document the users always get 2 questions : - save changes to template for the letter - save changes to normal.dot I already found a solution to avoid the q...

how do i search for a specific name in an excel file
i have a large file, (49,000+ names) is it possible to search for a specific name somehow without scrolling up and down the list repeatedly looking for it? Hit CTRL+F to open the find window, and in Look in: select Values. HTH JG -- pinmaster ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6261 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=496546 Did you try Edit > Find ? "cljenkins" wrote: > i have a large file, (49,000+ names) is it...

Need RULE to search for Text in Body with varying # of spaces
Hi there, I have Outlook 2002 and have been using the outlook rule condition: "With specific words in the body" However the "Specific words" I'm looking for might contain varying number of spaces: EX: "some text: some more text" "some text: some more text" Is there a wildcard or something to match multiple spaces? --Thanks very much, Kenneth Kenneth Parker <kenneth.parker@sas.com> wrote: > I have Outlook 2002 and have been using the outlook rule condition: > "With specific words in the body" > > However...

One line is killing my program!
The following line works, where it specifies the first 4 characters of two area codes (403, and (587. .Range("C2:C" & q).FormulaR1C1 = _ "=MID(R[0]C[-2],INDEX(FIND({""(403"",""(587""},R[0]C[-2]),MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(FIND({""(403"",""(587""},R[0]C[-2])),0)),14)" I need to substitute two variables - areaCode1 and areaCode2 to replace (403 and (587. I think I've done so, but the following doesn't work: .Range("C2:C" & q).FormulaR1C1 ...

Outlook 2007 Instant Search not working.
I installed Outlook 2007 on Windows XP SP2. The instant search does not work and desktop search can find everything except email messages. I have rebuilt the index and uninstalled and reinstalled Window Desktop Search 3.0. Any other ideas on how to fix this? I fixed mine by doing two things, not scientific, doing only one may have worked. I unchecked Outlook Express. (Maybe it only likes one email client) (It search OE fine by the way) I ran the repair option for Office 2007 in add remove programs. (I installed search after Outlook prompted me on its first use, maybe Search should be...

series name change
How can I change the name of "series" ? I added to the chart with straight line by highlight two numeric columns. I can create lines but the legend show series 3,4,5,6 !! Thanks Daniel On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Daniel <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How can I change the name of "series" ? > >I added to the chart with straight line by highlight two numeric columns. >I can create lines but the legend show series 3,4,5,6 !! Choose menu Chart.. Source Data.. Series, and there will be a box for series name. You can ...

touchpad programming
Would like to adapt my shareware to these new touchpad handhelds (I hope I find one running Windows), but how can I develop for and simulate a touchpad device on a standard desktop PC in VB6? And, if possible, can this be done also under VISTA instead of Win7? Any hints appreciated. Thanks, HHD. On 27/04/2010 12:42, Horst Heinrich Dittgens wrote: > Would like to adapt my shareware to these new touchpad handhelds (I hope > I find one running Windows), but how can I develop for and simulate a > touchpad device on a standard desktop PC in VB6? And, if possible, can > th...

Searching trick?
I am trying to search for a string from an imported file. The lead character in the string is the * character. Of course, if I do a search in Excel like '*', it finds everything. How can I get it to treat * like a character and not a wild card?? Use this in the Find dialog Bill ~* -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:e49e01c43c53$d48f4dd0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to search for a string from an imported file. > The lead character in the string is the * character. Of &g...

Changing a formula's result to text
I have a pretty simple worksheet that lists the date in column A. In column B, I have a formula that converts the date in Column A to the proper day of week. When I put it in a pivot table, it treats column B as an individual date, not the proper DOW. I attempted to copy/paste special/values into a new column, but it doesn't change it to the DOW, it leaves it as the date. I am trying to get Excel to permanently change the cells in column B to say "Tuesday" instead of 4/19/07. Does that make sense? All of the conventional answers don't seem to work for me. Any help? It...

Changed Server Numbers when Travel
I just had my outlook 2003AOL server numbers changed for no reason while travelling. Switched them back for my pop account and the would work, when shut down and then restart they would change from the correct to another set of numbers. Is there a way to stop these server numbers from changing while I travel. Thanks. What is a 'server number'? The IP address? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outl...

Change PST?
I installed a new Outlook (XP) and have my old backup PST file on a disk. I want the default data location to be of my choosing. I assume I copy that data where I want it but how do I import it? "bobnewman backup.pst.pst". I am totally confused, both by the lack of documentation (that I can find) and the backup file name. I hope someone can help. Bob I found it! Thanks anyway. Bob "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message news:vD%7d.2900$TY2.272@lakeread04... > I installed a new Outlook (XP) and have my old backup PST file on a disk. I > want t...

How do I change the elements displayed in the message list
How do I change the elements displayed in the message list. For example, to list "To" or "From" edit the view - to change just one folder, click on the row of field names and choose custom. To make all folders the same see http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips...

Change the mail Subject
When I choose to send my SOP Blank Invoice Form to a mail recipient (pdf), information is populating the subject line and body of my e-mail by default. Specifically the name of the report is populating the subject line. Is there a way to change this? I would rather see the Invoice number or customer name populating that field. Thank you Nancy, Out of the box, no. When you print a report to screen it loses all knowledge of what report it is (or where it came from). That's why when you then send to pdf the best the window can do is use the title of the output window as the s...

search help
I have a form which contain 2 unbound text boxes and a subform. 1st text box is where I input client's ID and 2nd textbox is for client's name. I have set the child and master field for subform to clients ID on subform and 1st testbox on main form. This works fine if I only have to search by client's ID. My problem is how do I make the subform to requery if ,say the client forget his ID # or search using ID produce no result, and I have to search by name using 2nd textbox as a search string. I tried changing the master and child field link using code but that didn't work...li...

change range for multiple charts
Hi I need to change the range for multiple charts, i.e. i have to go chart by chart and modify, either with the mouse or by typing, the new range, is there a quicker way to do this? "Yossi evenzur" wrote: > Hi > I need to change the range for multiple charts, i.e. i have to go chart by > chart and modify, either with the mouse or by typing, the new range, is there > a quicker way to do this? I've written a little Excel add-in that performs mass edits of series formulas: How to Edit Series Formulas http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/how-to-edit...

How to change the year?
I have a date column in my work sheet where I have enterred the year as 2005, but actually should be 2001. The cell format is date-month-year. My date range is B5:B55. How can I change the year on only for the dates in this range. Thanks. Victor Victor, The difference between a 2001 and a 2005 date is 1461. So do this: Put 1461 in a cell. Copy. Select B5:B55. Edit - Paste Special. Click "Values" and "Subtract." OK. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "la90292" <la90292@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:ebnzG62qFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gb...

A program is trying to access your Address Book...
We started getting the above message after we isntall Office XP/2002 service pack 3. Does anyone know of a Registry hack that I can setup to either prevent this message always or prevent it for a particular .DLL? For more information on the security features, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Soluti...

Can't Use Outlook after changing Servers
Moved users from one server to another. Users map USER folder to U:\ drive, no chnage there. After move when trying to open Outlook it stops with an error that there is a security problem with the .pst file. There is none I can find. Tried deleting Outlook profile for user and installing a new one, came up with same pst file. tried adding a second pst file and get the same security violation, No other files have problems, WORD or Excel. ideas?? dave Admin ...

Application-defined or Object-defined-error when changing color in
I have tried the following different approaches to chaning the background color of a cell in an Excell 2007 VBA module and have gotten Application-defined or Object-defined-error each time. I can display the color value I just can't seem to be able to change it. Sheet1.Cells(1, 2).Interior.Color = RGB(126, 255, 126) Worksheets("sheet1").Cells("A1").Interior.ColorIndex = 3 ActiveSheet.Cells(Cell).Interior.ColorIndex = 255 Range("A1").Cells.Interior.ColorIndex = 1 Any help is welcomed. Thank you in advance for your help. hi t...

Combo Box changes list based on another
I have 2 combo boxes. I select the first one and all the name choices are available. I choose JOE, I then move to the 2nd Combo Box and select it, I want JOE excluded from that list. How can I do this? Ultimately I want to expand this but for each combo box list I want it to exclude any names already chosen in other combo boxes. Thanks. On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:20:00 -0800, deeds <deeds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have 2 combo boxes. I select the first one and all the name choices are >available. I choose JOE, I then move to the 2nd Combo Box and select it, I &...

a program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in outlook.
I am the IT person for an office with about 100 users. Two of my users this morning are exeperiencing this error when they try and send a message. "a program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in outlook. Do you want to allow this?" I have looked and not found the fix for this and done a search on this group for that message in the text line with no responses. We are running a Windows 2000 exchange server and Outlook 2002 SP3. Any help would be greatly appreciated. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems for the most likely cause. -- ...